July 22, 2014 | 2409 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2009 7:53:00 AM More reviews by Ninotchka87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This took some time for me to get used to, because it's very liquid and I was used to mineral foundation. But I love this stuff. It gives an even finish and it looks natural, and it stays with you all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 3:01:00 AM More reviews by pearlstuds

I use DW in "Shell" for my combination, somewhat sensitive skin. Other reviewers have reported that it feels and looks cakey or goopy. I had the same experience at first and have found two remedies: mix a little with a spot of water on your hand to thin it out before applying - it takes a little extra effort to make sure it is fully blended, but it really takes away that heavy, unbreathable feeling. Another method it to only use a little bit where you need it - seriously, use like HALF as much as you would with any other foundation. This is what works for me. My goals are to tone down redness and hide a few breakout - DW does the job. I like to take a little out of the cap with my concealer brush to use as a concealer. If you have any wrinkles or fine lines, you definitely need a moisturizer under this product, otherwise it will settle right into them. This is not for you ladies with dry skin - best for normal, oily, or combo. I come from work straight to the gym and DW is completely breathable yet lasting for a cardio workout. Removing it takes some extra effort, but not too much. No need to exfoliate or anything, just a thorough cleansing works for me. The bottle is nice, but a pump would be ideal. Product lasts for ages, making it well worth the $.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 2:56:00 PM More reviews by emmebaby15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG Foundation! I am shade Ecru 1N1. No other foundation gives such a flawless finish. It does exactly what it says - stays in place. It stays on all day, no top ups required. The double wear liquid combined with the double wear powder gives my a skin a flawless, professional finish. I can't tell you how many compliments I get on my skin since using this foundation. I have always disliked my freckles and this hides them without looking too heavy or cakey. Absolutely lovely foundation - best applied with a foundation brush as it dries quickly.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2009 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Kemi1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely HATE this product (no offence) .....

I have very sensitive skin...and i live in a very hot n humid country....
and once i wear this foundation ---> OMG...its so sticky, THICK, uncomfortable...greasy....HEAVY LOOK.....and clogs my pores so bad that you can see the foundation has sinked into my pores....

jus very gross. Yuk..BIG NO NO...

currently using Chanel..The whitening one........and am very happy chappy :D

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2009 12:51:00 PM More reviews by nkar23

Ha! I hate this stuff. My mother uses it, so sometimes when she does my makeup she uses this foundation on me. First off, it makes my face look mask like, it doesn't fully "blend" in, and it makes my skin shiny and its so obvious that I am wearing makeup (not natural looking). I wore this to prom and a couple other events and by the end of the night I look sweaty and gross, and like I'm wearing a pound of makeup.
On the plus side, it doesn't cake up or lose it's color, it stays true but it just doesn't work for me. I think that if you have a dry skintone or if you are older (not in your twenties), this will work.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2009 4:23:00 AM More reviews by claudi522

I had been using Neutrogena Healthy skin foundation for years. Recently they reformulated it and I have been in the search for a new foundation.

I tried Double Wear in hopes that it would provide good coverage while not breaking me out. My initial thoughts about this foundation is that it does feel thick. I never truly understood the term "mask-like" until this foundation. It really goes on thick and once on it feels sticky, almost as if it's not completely dry.

After about four days use, this foundation wreaked havoc on my skin. Before this, I had the occasional breakout. After this foundation, I am battling an armada of new red, inflamed zits, even in areas where I rarely, if ever, break out! I was very disappointed about this especially because I bought it based on its claims that it is "non-acnegenic". Although I must admit, while I was wearing it I figured it would cause me to break out because it was so thick and heavy, there was no way it wasn't going to stick to my pores. I understand everyone's face is different. I highly suggest trying a sample of this before spending the 30+ dollars that this costs. I basically paid for acne in a bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by princessniah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only foundation that lasts on my super oily skin and it also comes in a shade pale enough to match my skin tone. With a little Laura Mercier Setting Powder for touching up when i get a bit shiny this lasts quite a few hours on me and even when i don't bother to refresh it, it still looks ok.
My only complaint is that the bottle tends to leak so i keep it in its little cardboard container when carrying it in my handbag

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Starberri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Update 2010:

I've found a new HG (see review for Alima Pure), but I did wear this recently on a day where I needed HEAVY coverage and I'll say that if you need buildable/heavy coverage, this is the makeup for you!

----
I recently realized, in a sort of backwards manner, that this is my HG foundation. I thought I could find a replacement that was cheaper/better for skin (mineral), or looked more natural. After trying several brands, I realized this was not the case, and I ran out to get another bottle of DW.

What I love about Double Wear:

1) It stays on all day - I'm oily, so many foundations disappear after my second blotting of the day; DW stays put all day and night.

2) The color is just right and it stays that way - I'm very pale and it's very difficult to find the right match. Even if I do, most foundations oxidize and by the end of the day, my face is a different color than my neck. DW matches perfectly and stays the same color all day.

3) It's buildable - Most makeup counter people will tell you their foundations are "buildable." Usually this is because they don't understand what the word means, or it's just a straight-up lie. For example, I recently tried a very expensive Guerlain foundation and tried to cover my red spots with it - I ended up with orangey/dark splotches all over my face. DW is actually buildable. I DO NOT NEED TO USE CONCEALER with DW; I just use a lip brush to dab extra DW on my red spots and *poof* they are hidden. Awesome!

4) A little goes a long way - One bottle lasts me for months!

5) It has a nice finish - I finally figured out the trick is to use a makeup brush for a more natural finish. If you put too much on, it can look makeup-ey, so it's all about blending (do it quickly, before it dries!).

6) It doesn't make me break out - Along with being very oily, I'm also acne-prone. Many, many foundations have made me break out over the years (the most recent being Make Up For Ever's HD foundation). I have never had any skin problems with DW.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2009 5:12:00 PM More reviews by sperryman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my all time HG foundation. Wears like iron!! Stays on all day through the humid Texas heat and still looks great. Does not break me out or oxidize and turn yellow on my skin. Covers up my flaws and gives a smooth even glow to my face. You don't need powder to set or a primer before. Would highly reccomend!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by CarasGaladhon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I am somewhat disappointed with this. First of all, reviews of this seem to rave about the 'full' and 'flawless' coverage this gives. I didn't find the coverage to be all that great. It didn't cover blemishes, it didn't cover my freckles, and it didn't cover my dark circles (all of which, my £10 L'Oreal Infallible has no problem concealing).
Second of all, I bought the lightest shade (Shell 1C1) and it was way too dark for me, I have to blend it into my neck for it to look more natural. This may seem like a problem that not many people will have and I shouldn't mark this product down for it, but the colour swatches on the Estee Lauder website make it look a lot lighter than it actually is, which really, really annoyed me.

Despite this, I have to say that the staying power of this foundation is phenomenal. Every single foundation I have used has had to be reapplied about 2-3 hours after first application. Not with this. I applied it at 8:00am and it was still fresh-looking by 9:00pm.
It is also very matte, so I'm guessing it'll be good for oily skin. Though for those with normal or dry skin, make sure you use a primer or a good moisturiser beforehand to ensure smooth application.