Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

cyclopentasiloxane, propylsilsesquioxane, ceresin, isodecane, cyclohexasiloxane, caprylyl methicone, synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica silyate, disteardimonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, propylene carbonate, candelilla wax, caprylyl glycol, aluminum hydroxide, calcium sodium borosilicate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, tin oxide. [ ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499/iron oxides, mica, ci 77491/titanium dioxide, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, ci 42090/blue 1 lake, ci 19140/yellow 5 lake, ci 77510/ferric ammonium ferrocyanide]

on 3/24/2010 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I adore this product also! That seems to be the trend here. This is the first gel/creme eyeliner I've ever tried. It was a very small learning curve to figure out how to use it. I will say that this is actually easier to use than a liquid, pencil, powder or pen. I originally started with a pencil, which can be tough to get a bold line. Powders have fallout. A pen always looks like you literally used a magic marker. And a liquid can be hard to control and get out of control really quickly. This is perfect. A bold, perfectly controlled line. This also miraculously enables me to achieve a cat eye a lot easier too. The brush that comes with this is perfect also, but requires cleaning about every two applications, which can be sort of inconvenient. This doesn't smudge, run, flake, or do anything silly. Love!

I have this eyeliner in Eggplant and Blackest Black.
I got the Eggplant first, because everywhere I went was sold out of Black. I really wasn't all that impressed with the Eggplant. It's not opaque enough for me, and I feel like I have to keep going over the line to get it to the intensity level that I want.
At first I thought that I was having trouble applying it because I'm not very experienced with gel eyeliners (my only previous gel experience was with L'Oreal's HIP, which I didn't really like). But when I finally got my hands on this eyeliner in Black, the experience was much different.
The Black is waaay better than the Eggplant. Black is much easier to work with, and I get a bold, dark line in just one swipe. I didn't need to keep retracing the line with the Black one like I did with Eggplant.
And I love the brush that it comes with! The brush that L'Oreal's HIP came with was absolutely horrid. I think that may have been a large reason why I didn't like HIP to begin with. I was expecting the same poor quality from the Maybelline brush, but was pleasantly surprised. The brush makes applying this eyeliner super easy. And depending on how I hold it, I can get either a thin line or a thicker, more dramatic one.
The staying power on this liner is pretty good. I find that it really does stay on all day as promised on the package, and I never have to reapply. However, it does smudge a bit and sometimes leaves a darkish smudge in the crease of my eyelid. I took one lippie off due to that.
Overall, this is a great drug store gel liner. Glad that I held out for the Black before I formed my final opinion!

on 3/24/2010 4:38:00 PM

I love this liner, especially because of the price. It's just like M.A.C. fluidline in blacktrack but much cheaper. Works very well if you know how to use liquid liner. Comes with a perfect little liner brush, I wore this as a classic dark line with mac paintpot in fresco rose as a base, mac shroom all the way up to my lids. Finished my face off with Smashbox blush in candid (love this so much) this black gel liner gives the perfect classic makeup. So fresh and beautiful!

on 3/24/2010 1:41:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This has been my first experience with a gel liner, so I don't really have anything to compare it too, but here we go. I had been wanting to try this for some time, I like the idea of a gel liner but didn't want to shell out the money for a HE brand and not like it. I heard some bad reviews on the L'Oreal HIP liner so when I saw this I had to try it. I am still new at the application of this, it is easy enough though. The brush is nice, and the color is nice and black ( I bought it in black). The packaging is nice, a little glass jar. The price was a bit steep for a drugstore brand (around 10 dollars at my local rite aid), but cheaper than most HE gel liners. It has good staying power. it does smudge a bit when I do a cat eye, but nothing terrible. Overall I liked this, and will probably re purchase when I run out.

on 3/24/2010 2:37:00 AM

I purchased this in Charcoal thinking it was going to be black. Wrong it's blue, but decided to give it a try anyway. I wanted to test the staying power if it would streak, fade away or simply dissapear. Much to my suprise it stayed on and looked very nice. The applicator is not bad either. I would purchase this again in black, might rival the BB gel eyeliner???

on 3/23/2010 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got this product for really cheap ($5.69 at Target) because I had a two dollar off coupon and it was on sale ten percent off. I got in brown. I like it a lot, it's really nice. The wearing power is great. I must say that I can't make a thin line it's always really thick, I think it's because I just got it and I am not used to it yet, and this is first time I bought gel eyeliner. Also the brown color is really dark, so it's more like dark brown. I definately want to get more though, like the purple :)

on 3/20/2010 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm giving this a five because the brush that comes with is wonderful. The product is great and the brush makes it super easy to apply. Usually the brushes that come with DSMU are worthless but not this one. Excellent for a drug store product!

on 3/19/2010 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This product is alright..I think it is a little darker than mac blacktrack(which i feel is grey and not black), but prone to smudge, so I have to set it with shadow.

I actually really like the brush it comes with, and will use it with all my gel liners. It's good for a thicker or smoky line..it's kind of blunt and tapered and doesnt seem to be as cheap as most brushes that come with cosmetics. For me the brush is a keeper even if the product may not be.

I would buy it again, but I think my HG would be a liner that didn't need to be set with shadow.Still I can't complain, I keep reaching for it over my blacktrack.

on 3/19/2010 1:55:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am an eyeliner girl, I will admit it. If I only have five minutes to do makeup rushed in the morning, you can always count on eyeliner being at the top of that rush list.

That being said, I am absolutely in love with this gel eyeliner! I've tried everything, from powder eyeliner, to liquid, to pen, to pencil - I think this one outperforms the majority of them (which is really something given that this is maybe only $10 as opposed to my $24 dior eyeliner).

It comes in a chic small pot with a small brush for application. You just swap some product on the brush and start lining. When you first start using the gel, not a lot will come off on the brush which can be pretty disappointing. You'll end up having to keep re-lining over the same line to get a more opaque look. Don't be discouraged! Once a small indentation in the gel starts forming, you can get more product on the brush easier and you'll get a bold line right away - if that's what you're going for.

Lasting power, I'd say is ridiculously long. I'll go to sleep with this eyeliner on and wake up with it on exactly how I left it the night before! Even the cat-eye flicks were still there!

The only thing I dislike is having to use a brush, which is a minor thing. The little plastic cap that comes with the brush has already fallen off in my makeup bag more than once - but not a big deal. Given the lasting power of this gel, I'd definitely buy it again.

on 3/17/2010 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this product. I have always HATED eyeliner of any sort, using eyeshadow if I wanted the lined look. I hated pencils, liquid and never tried the newer gels and creams until I took a chance and invested in a pot of eggplant gel liner by Maybelline. The stuff is amazing. I love the brush that comes with it and for my first time using a gel liner, I did an awesome cat eye...FIRST TIME EVER! The consistency is perfect, not runny or wet like liquid and not chalky like pencil, the brush is perfectly firm yet soft, and if you're patient, within a couple minutes, the gel liner dries and does NOT smudge. I went back right away and bought the other 3 colors. This is the only eyeliner I will ever use so I'm praying they do NOT discontinue it! Good stuff gals!

Video Reviews & Tutorials