September 18, 2014 | 1361 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (All Shades)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2010 12:06:00 AM More reviews by KaiserMimiVII

I was pretty excited to try this after I heard great things about it on the board. I bought it in Eggplant. However, I'm rather disappointed. Based on the picture on the packaging, I thought it was going to be shimmerless. But in fact, it's really rather sparkley and sheer. In order for it to be opaque, you really have to build it up- at least 3 layers. Also- it definitely budges, my WnW cream liners have better staying power. And the worst part- it stains! I swatched some for a picture and applied some to my lids, and I can't get either of them off. I've tried MU remover, cleansing oil, face wash, glycerin based soap and regular foaming softsoap. Nada. There's still a greyish tinge on my skin. If you're look for a shimmer gel liner- this is mediocre, but I'd never repurchase this again- esp not at full price.
Edit: 3 weeks later, I've only used it one more time. But the pot is already dry and chunky. Disgusting.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 8:47:00 AM More reviews by vwzen81

I love, love, love this! I bought it in black and I wanted to buy some of the other colors but my CVS was all sold out of every color but the black. I like this gel liner much better than my L'Oreal HIP cream liners; the HIP liners don't apply as smoothly as the Maybelline. The Maybelline gel liner is so smooth and soft, it's awesome! Also, usually the brush that comes with ANY makeup is total crap but the liner brush that Maybelline included with this liner is great, I really like it. I'm able to apply an extremely thin line with it or make it as big and thick as I want. I am totally planning on taking a trip to Ulta this weekend and buying the other colors (I hope they have them!). Plus, Ulta has all Maybelline eye products on sale right now; buy one get one 50% off!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2010 9:50:00 PM More reviews by pixiehottie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Bought this the other day, have been wearing it everyday since then. I have eggplant, great color on my hazel eyes. I love the formula! Very soft and pigmented. In my opinion, this kicks the crap out of my smudge pot, SB liners, and a few others. For the price you just can't match it.

Color stays true all day, doesn't budge, and the brush that it comes with is pretty damn good. Makes a nice straight line, thick or thin.

I think I'll pick up the charcoal next, as I have way to many black potted liners at the moment.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 4:16:00 AM More reviews by khymm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i love this gel liner! I have this in black and brown. very long lasting. hopefully it will not dry up fast in the pot.

here's my detailed review and swatches:

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 2:12:00 AM More reviews by la18la

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i never used to use eyeliner cause it was too harsh and i'm fair featured.. i bought the charcoal gray and and it defines my eyes beautifully without overpowering. it's buildable and richly pigmented.

it is so long lasting and doesn't smear (i have semi-oily lids).
i also cried for 2 hours and most of it stayed on.

i prefer this to l'oreal hip which i liked, but that smudged.

how did i live without eyeliner before this? i only use it on the top lid though cause i use a liquid for my bottom lash line

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2010 1:37:00 AM More reviews by nova

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

had high hopes for this, from hearing others who liked this. I bought the blackest black, which wasn't as pigmented as it sounds, you would need to build on the color. It is a soft gel-like liner allowing for a very smooth, easy application. Because of this, it shouldn't dry out as easy as some of the other gel liners out on the market.

Since it is soft in texture, it allows me time to work with it more, before it dries, however, the softness of it, also means that it will transfer or move, if you have oily lids (I don't use eye primers), and/or under heat ...it is definitely not 24 hrs of wear as advertised.

I noticed some transfer (movement) fading about 5 hr after application and even more so after 8-10 hrs, but I have very oily lids and the heat was on. Also, I use this only on my upper lid, no where else.

So, the pros would be:
1)easy to apply because it is soft/smooth;
2)waterproof
3) won't dry up as fast as most gel liners
4) decent brush, flat tapered head, made to draw a wider line than I would like but can use the tip to draw a finer line

Cons:
1)color is diffused and needs to be build upon to achieve impact
2) it doesn't wear as long as it says, just too soft of a product, esp if you have oily lids, in a heated room, or under any condition that will soften the gel.

Overall, I prefer the WetNWild black gel liner over this because it is more long-wearing and draws a pitch black line without having to build on color. It is also so much cheaper than the maybelline one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2010 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Vittoriak

I bought the blackest black last summer and I was kind of skeptical about the product because I was so convinced that only Bobbi Brown makes the best gel eyeliner. At first, it was kind of average. It did not smudge horribly but it transferred slightly to my upper lid.

BUT THEN, I rediscovered it after putting it aside for a couple of months and it turned out to be a great liner! I think it's because I finally get the hang of it and it just lasts on perfectly for at least 12 hours. I have not tried it on my waterline yet but I think I will try. The brush that comes with it is very nice as well. Another great drugstore product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by xCM0SSx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This gel eyeliner is the best eyeliner I have tried! The color is so strong. It doesn't smudge at all! It comes with a very handy brush. I am in love w/ this product & WILL repurchase again. I forgot to add, you can use this for your waterliner & it won't make you look like a Panda! =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2010 5:08:00 PM More reviews by halfpastsunday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the first gel liner that I have ever purchased and used, so I can't compare it to higher end products. However, I got it in 'blackest black' and after using it for the past few days, I am now wondering how I ever lived without gel liners?! This is simply amazing. The formula is very creamy and glides on smoothly. I no longer have to tug on my lids like I did with pencil liners, which means no wrinkles! The color is pretty intense, but can be built up more or less to your liking. The liner also stays put for hours (I was scared that it wouldn't), but I tested it out at work and when I checked up on it at the end of the night, it still looked good. I bought this for around $8-9 at Target and it also came with a fairly decent brush. Overall, this product is wonderful. Will purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2010 3:09:00 AM More reviews by GuerlainAds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried BB, Smashbox, WnW, Jane, HIP, Physian's Formula so far and the first two gave me racoon eyes. This is a good gel liner but not HG for me. I got 2 colors: Charcoal and Eggplant.

First of all, the charcoal was very blueish. Did not look charcoal to me. I compared it to a blue metallic eyeliner and it's not quite blue but it's definitely blueish.

Second, the eggplant is misnamed. I compared it to Jane's gel liner in Wine and it looked pretty close. Jane's Wine is a metallic brownish WINE color. The Maybelline is smoother and more pigmented than the Jane which has a very dry consistancy (see the reviews here) but the Jane liner is only $6 compared to $10 for Maybelline.

Third, my jar looks nothing like the pics above. It's a clear jar with a black lid. Nice jar and the liner brush it comes with is useable.

Fourth, the gel is not as pigmented as it could be. Has to be swiped more than once to get the right amount.