October 30, 2014 | 1808 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2008 1:55:00 PM More reviews by ngvozdov

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this cleanser after hearing so many good things about it. I have sensitive/dry skin and I broke out after using it. I've never returned a skincare product before, but I returned this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2008 5:39:00 PM More reviews by jenryan82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser. It is gentle and it removes all of my makeup. I have even found other uses for it. It makes a great makeup brush cleanser and I've even used it to take stains off delicate sweaters. The only thing I would complain about is the bottle. It is sometimes very had to get the product out. I usually decant it some from the large bottle into the smaller 10oz squeezable bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2008 4:48:00 PM More reviews by rennah7

I love this cleanser, and will be sad when it runs out!

It takes all my makeup off easily and smells clean & fresh.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2008 12:12:00 AM More reviews by nhhnh42

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Purity Made Simple. I got it in the 32oz size during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and it lasts forever. It takes off makeup SOOO easily. The smell isn't great compared to most Philosophy products but it's easy to ignore that. I use it along with the Micro Exfoliating Scrub and my skin always feels extremely soft afterward.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2008 10:34:00 PM More reviews by vatmark

I used to love Purity but unbeknown to most, Philosophy has gone and changed the formula. They decreased the essential oils and increased coconut alcohol, glycerin, polysorbate 20 and carbomer. Philosophy continues to deny that it was changed when they are questioned. Then they said a surfactant was replaced. They e-mailed me saying that the original ingredient label was wrong and showed me what it should have looked like. Then showed me a 3rd label with the new surfactant. Guess what? My ingredient label didn't match any of them. I don't know what Philosophy is up to.

This new version looks to have a more yellowish cast to it. It is very watery, smells more alcoholish and is drying to the skin.

If you have an old bottle of purity compare it to the new bottles that have recently come out.

I won't be purchasing it anymore. I will go back to Cetaphil.

57 out of 64 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2008 8:56:00 AM More reviews by spoilediam

I love this product. It cleans my makeup off completely and leaves my skin with a rosy glow. It smells nice, too, but the scent is not overwhelming. The packaging is first rate, as well. It isn't cheap, but the large bottle lasts for months.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2008 4:20:00 PM More reviews by foreverfrench

I love this product! It is an easy go to cleanser! I've tried others and nothing takes of everything like purity does!!
I love that it doesn't get all foamy. No .s.l.s is a huge bonus!
I've been using it for the last 5 years! and will use it forever!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 2:30:00 PM More reviews by sofabean

I LOATHE this cleanser! I have dry skin, but THIS made it even worse. It worked alright for the first 1-2 days, but after that, it practically peeled my skin off. It made it so dry that my face actually HURT. I wouldn't recommend this for dry skin at all.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2008 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Griffin1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Purity made simple? Yeah, right...with a list of 28 ingredients. Um, I don't think so. Even if most of them are natural, The best "pure" cleansers I've used have four ingredients, so I find this a little misleading. The essential oils do add a pleasant fragrance, but I prefer my cleansers to be less liquidy and suds up a little more upon application. However, I give it points for not stripping my skin.
I got this as a gift, but I doubt I'd buy it as long as Clinique keeps making their Liquid Facial Soap Mild.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2008 2:13:00 AM More reviews by snarkywench

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've stopped using cleansers for the most part and only use water & a cloth unless I've worn makeup. On "makeup" days I use Purity; it takes off pretty much everything and when I swipe with ACV (or previous toners) there isn't a lot coming off on the pad.

I don't really notice the scent much anymore but I've been using it for a few years.

What I like: the consistency: it's a little watery, slippery and just glides around on your skin no tugging/rubbing needed. This is also a low/no foam cleanser. I can use it on my eyes with no problems, it takes off all of my shadows(even benefit ccs's) even if I use a primer.

If you wear waterproof mascaras, I recommend using an eye makeup remover, for regular mascara this is great.

Philosophy is a little spendy but I haven't found any cleanser that works as well or better (for me) for less.

*** 3/23/10...still haven't found a cleanser I like better but I do use a Clarisonic 2-3 times a week now.

***6/2011...Still loving the Purity...If I've worn heavy makeup or longwear makeup, I will mix a bit of olive oil with the purity in my hand before applying to my face; this seems to take off what might be left behind. After doing this & going over with ACV on a cotton pad, I almost never find anything, plus it adds an extra kick of moisture since purity can be drying.