MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 6/19/2010 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using this foundation on / off for three years and have never suffered any problems with it. I've tried many different foundations which have caused my dry skin all kinds of issues but Studio Fix Fluid never fails me!
It provides great coverage for my NC15 skintone without looking too cakey, to give it a more dewy look I mix it with a small blob of MAC Strobe Cream which does the trick nicely.

If it's within your price range, I highly recommend this product. However I can understand why people with acne prone skin should avoid this as it does layer on quite thick.

on 6/17/2010 10:05:00 AM

I love this foundation. It offers good coverage whilst still looking very natural. On me, it looks like skin, but just a really nice version of my skin!
I have skin which is oily in areas and this foundation controls shine well. I probably wouldn't recommend this product to anyone with dry skin.
Some reviewers have said that this product is heavy but applied properly, I have found this is not the case. I apply it sparingly using a foundation brush and the finish is natural but flawless. Also, because of this, this product lasts a long time. I aply two coats of this to my skin everyday and this lasts me for months.
I have used other foundations and always come back to this one.

on 6/16/2010 9:34:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

First thing... i hate the smell! it just smells really weird like a mix of chemicals.. yuck!
the coverage is good, its medium-full coverage - you can easily get medium coverage with a small amount, i got colour matched to nc40 and its very yellow based but not too obvious. i've only worn this afew times and it hasnt reacted with my skin as far as i know (and I'm a little scared to use it too often because of previous reviewers saying it broke them out), i'd only wear this during the day becasue of the SPF and i don't want to risk looking ghostly white in photos at night (although i havnt tried it). it's a good foundation if u want medium/full coverage, but for me it may be a little too heavy for everyday wear and the smell is just a turn off! But it does feel really smooth on the skin
I don't think i'd repurchase

PROS: Good coverage (almost too good). Good shade choices.

CONS: Too thick and pasty for me. Doesn't come in a pump, so those who don't like to contaminate the makeup with their fingers won't like that aspect. Ended up oxidizing a little orange on me.

ALTERNATES: A cheaper dupe for this is Revlon's Colorstay Foundation, but it doesn't last on the skin quite as long. For something more matte and much cheaper: L'Oreal Visible Lift Age-Reversing Makeup. For H/E and dewy, I absolutely adore MAC's tinted moisturizer, which is the best thing for not making my wrinkles look worse, out of 35 foundations I've tried.

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser.

APPLICATION TIPS: If you're concerned about this settling in pores, you can pat L'oreal's Magic Perfecting Base into pores first (and make sure to let it "set" for a minute, at least).

on 6/16/2010 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've been using this almost daily since February and I'm nearly through my second bottle. I really love this. It covers all my pigmentation marks and I need only a small amount of moisturecover under my eyes when I use this. It has not caused me to break out at all. I've tried applying it with MAC's 190, 187, 188 and 130 and after numerous trials I find I get the most flawless results by squirting two/three pumps into the palm of my hands, rub together and smooth all over blending with fingers. I then squirt one more pump into my palm then stipple my 130 in it and dab that over my cheeks where the pigmentation spots are. I then use my 187 all over in a stippling motion, this seems to blend it all together nicely. The only thing I dislike is that it causes me to have a white cast in photos, due to the SPF. I think MAC should bring out studio fix fluid without SPF which would be fantastic for photography. For reference I use studio tech if I know I'm going to be photographed. (Weddings ect.) I'm NC30. Deffo recommend.
UPDATE: 23/10/2010
didn't fancy getting foundation over my hands today so I squirted some fix + spray on my 187 brush then used this to apply my SFF. Worked really well! The dampness stopped any caking, left a nice, matte flawless finish. X

on 6/14/2010 2:18:00 PM

I have used this foundation for a couple years now. It is a medium-buildable coverage, so if you are looking for something sheer or light I would not recommend this. I, however, prefer a more full coverage and I really like this product. I have not had any problems with breaking out, as some people have experienced. A pump would be nice, but there is one you can buy for $6. As far as price goes, it is one of the cheaper department store/high(er) end brands so that is def not a deal breaker for me. Will continue to buy.

on 6/14/2010 12:50:00 AM

ugh! i really dislike this product! its thick, masky, heavy, emphasizes my pores, oxidizes, the packaging (no pump! need to buy pump seperately) and has no oil control at all! however the one thing i loved about this product was the colour match. i got matched to nc25 and it was the most dead on, perfect colour match ever!it is a bit too yellow, but then i like yellow based foundations. very comparable to revlon colorstay, even smelles similar, and u can get the same effect for cheaper.

on 6/13/2010 2:31:00 PM

I used to use this foundation a lot since i always got compliments on my skin, but it just felt heavy and was so heavy coverage that it was drying, plus the shade selection was orange based. I bought revlon colorstay and loved it, since i was going through a pale phase, but now since its summer, i want a little bit of color. I apply this with a damp sponge (since its so hot out, i dont want to apply a lot of liquid) then i set this with MSFN. Its perfect! Since its a little darker, it gives me a slight tan, with NO orange tones since i dont apply a lot of it. It really evens out my skintone. Once i run out of my bottle, i want to try Laura Mercier next, but for now, i really like this!

on 6/13/2010 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Awesome foundation, great cover, AND it totally matches my skintone. For some reason the NC looked a little yellow on me, so I went a number lighter and went to NW *gasp* but it was perfect. It was annoying how it didn't come with a pump, just 'cause it gets so messy, so I just bought the pump too. That's the only real downside of it. I have pretty dry skin, and it didn't exacerbate that situation. If you have oily skin I wouldn't recommend this.. Also I have never broke out with this foundation, but maybe my skin is just a lil' tough :)

on 6/11/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

first of all, this is the only foundation that gave me the perfect match for my skin tone. nc25 blends in perfectly, and it really looks natural on me ...unlike 8-9foundations i have tried. however, this is little to oily on me ..i have to blot at least 5-6 times with this on... which is pretty sad ;(
other than that this would be a good foundation, especially people with dry-combination skin looking for full coverage. ill probably try this in winter again when im less oily