October 31, 2014 | 1038 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 2:41:00 AM More reviews by fabulousSHEL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Very good for acne. Make sure to use a moisturizer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2012 5:33:00 PM More reviews by RHanson

You must try this immediately!

Skin History:

Wow. Ive spent so much money, time, and unnecessary stress over my skin, and finally the weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I finished my first (and so far only) course of Accutane two years ago, and though my acne has returned, its less severe and much more manageable. Honestly, I really don't care about active pimples, but its the scars that remain for months that drive me crazy. Nothing has vanished my scars like fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Application:

Every day, I squeeze 1/3 of a lemon and put the other 2/3 wrapped in foil in the fridge. I then squeeze all the juice into a small bowl, not really caring if the seeds fall in or not. One day I will add some cool water to the juice, and the next day I will use straight up lemon juice, alternating as to not really push the skin over the edge.Then, I take a cotton pad (or folded up toilet paper if I'm lazy), dip it in, and swipe all over my face. It usually drips onto my neck, but I let it go down anyways. You will know it is working when you feel the sting. Yes, the sting. It's pretty bad, especially the first few times you use it. My experience, however, is that I was so ecstatic with my results that I started associating the sting with pretty skin, and the pain went away. If it is really bad, do a mixture of 1/3 lemon juice with 2/3 water and work your way up. Some people wash it off after 15 minutes, I usually leave it on way longer, usually 3-5 hours or overnight. So definitely do it when you're at home and have time. Follow with a light application of your most trusted moisturizer.

Effects:

Since I started using lemon juice last month, my skin has just been...healthy, to best sum up all the amazing words I could say. Yes, I still get some (albeit much less since I started using lemon juice) pimples, but they heal much faster, don't grow as big, and don't leave as intense a red mark as they had done in the past. My previous reddish-purplish-brownish scars from weeks and months before have decreased in diameter from small rice to about kosher salt (sorry if this is random, but I put lots of thought into this analogy and it fits what I see best!). Added to this, my skin that has been unaffected by acne (skin around pimples, sides of nose, sides of forehead, and around mouth) has become healthy and even-toned. When I say even toned, I mean no redness, with a very very slight golden hue.

UPDATE

Lemon juice is still working just as well as ever. I few more benefits I noticed:

- Moisturizer goes on smoother, and I needed less moisturizer than I normally do
- Freckles around my nose haven't faded, though they have became smaller and more similar to my normal skin color
- My skin has become really really smooth. The tiny bumps that normally wouldn't bother me have receded, leaving level skin behind

Also!!!

My dermatologist was shocked when I told him that lemon juice worked so well. He said that he would have expected it to be too harsh, but I told him I'd been using it for more than 6 weeks, and he told me I could continue to use it! He also explained why exfoliation, especially chemical like lemon juice, is important for people with acne. He said that in healthy skin, skin cells are programmed to shed off one by one, reaching the top of the skin unimpeded, where it waits to be exfoliated. However, in those with acne, skin cells are programmed to die and flake around the same time, and combined with thick sebum, the pore is blocked and bam, a pimple is born. Even if sebum were thick (caused by hormone imbalance), individual skin cells could travel up without clogging the pore. The problem is when skin cells flake off at the same time. Imagine a line of people going through a door. If people go one by one, they can pass through the door. However, if two (or more) people in line are holding hands lets say, they will block the door. It is in the dna of the skin cell life cycle, he said, that explains the genetic inheritance of acne and the inheritance of healthier skin. Now, I don't know if hes truly right, but it sounded really reasonable to me, and would explain why lemon juice has been so rewarding. The lemon juice was going into my pores and breaking up the evil conglomerations of dead skin.

UPDATE # 2 September 21, 2012

Because I am back st school, I found buying lemons, cutting them here, and doing my regimen took too much time. Yeah, I know it really doesn't take that much effort, but when you're busy, sometimes you just don't really care about how you look as much (maybe that isnt a bad thing though?). So I decided to give bottled lemon juice a try. I've been using Real Lemon, and I have to say, it ain't half bad. Actually, it works better than I thought. It stings less, you can put it in the fridge so it is cooling, and its in a sanitary squirt bottle that makes application very simple. However, I noticed that it doesn't work quite as well as fresh lemon juice. If I gave the effectiveness of fresh lemon juice a 10, which I most definitely would, I would probably give bottled lemon juice between a 7 - 8. So, if you're feeling lazy, but still want some great results, or even feel if lemon juice stings too much, give bottled a try. Also, I did some research online, and bottled lemon juice legally must be at least 4.5% citric acid, whereas fresh lemons can range anywhere from 4-7. So, i think fresh lemons are naturally stronger. So now you have two great paths in which lemons can be your best friends!

UPDATE #3 October 18, 2012

I've used lemon juice every day, twice a day, for the past 3 months, and it's safe to say it is a godsend. The past month or so, I've used bottled Real Lemon and it has worked amazing

UPDATE #4 January 9, 2013

Please please please see my review for carotene supplements! They will change your life as much as...if not more...than lemon juice!

77 out of 82 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 3:19:00 PM More reviews by arussell21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! Lemon juice changed my skin in a matter of one week. I had three zits that would just not go away for months. Now, I am not someone who has horrible acne, just the occasional zit around the time of my period. But in the matter of 3 days, after putting lemon juice on my face, my skin has greatly improved. My skin looks brighter, more toned, and I currently have no zits. Right now lemon juice and a good moisturizer is my everyday face routine and I intend to keep it this way! :]

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2012 1:10:00 AM More reviews by talei

Oh wow!after having so much success with vitamin c and yoghurt after learning this here, i decided to try using lemon juice.. I just bought the concentrate out of a yellow bottle for this, put some on a cotton pad and ran it over my face-it did sting a bit, but no pain or itchiness...
then all of a sudden, my face started bleeding (!) in two spots on my chin!! they were clogged pores, but ouch, i should have diluted this!
I will try this again some other time, maybe in a mask or diluted-but first i have to let the two spots/wounds heal... I was hoping for the lemon to diminish some light scars on my cheek, but duh!!

..what has worked great for me are full fat yoghurt as a mask and sometimes as a cleanser-love that, and products with vitamin c <3

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 12:26:00 PM More reviews by KrissyGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love lemon juice! I made a toner out of it with witch hazel and some water, it works wonders. I use fresh lemons and after im done squeezing them, I take the lemon and rub it all over my face like im washing it (throw some sugar on the lemon, rub in circular motions and viola you have a sugar scrub) I find that it works awesome and really clears up my skin and makes it less oily. Plus i feel like im not using all these harsh chemicals on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2012 7:24:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

The best acne treatment. My mother kept telling me to try this, and I wouldn't, until one day finally I did. I had to stop using my usual benzoil peroxide treatment for other reasons, for a while, and my face went crazy. I squeezed a fresh lemon and rubbed it on my face one night, and just left it on without anything else. In the morning my face was clear. It worked 3X faster I would say than my usual treatment. I'm switching to lemons. They are awesome and you know you are not poisoning yourself with chemicals when you use them.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by preeti33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I apply pure freshly squeezed lemon juice on my face every day as my skin tone is very uneven and oily. I leave it on for 10-15 min and wash it with tap water. It has helped my uneven skintone a lot. Drastic results show within a couple of days.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2012 4:51:00 AM More reviews by ShannonEmily123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading all the positive reviews here on MA i decided to give lemon juice a go. I bought a bottle of Jiff concentrated lemon juice and applied straight from the bottle (not diluted with anything) with a cotton ball. I used it as a mask type of thing and left it on for about 20 minutes. (I was planning on leaving it on for 10 but i completely forgot about it being on my face) Wiped off,and the first thing i could see was my bright red cheeks,nose and chin. I thought nothing of it and applied my Boots Simply Sensitive Anti-Redness Serum. It did the trick and the redness had gone from Rudolph the red nose reindeer to virtually nothing. The next morning i woke up to no oiliness! I have combination skin,with a verrrry oily nose and chin,but my cheeks and forehead are always in need of a bit of moisture. So yeah, i had no oiliness in my nose and chin,but it wasn't dry either. My cheeks and forehead was though,they was that dry they had little bumps over them. I panicked thinking the lemon juice had broke me out as i had wonderfully clear skin just a bit of an uneven skin tone. But after i moisturized with my Boots Serum,the bumps disappeared. It has evened out my skin tone lovely after one use. I will continue to apply every 2 days but dilute with water until my sensitive skin can cope with un-diluted. Thanks,lemon juice! I'm soooooo happy!!! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 1:19:00 AM More reviews by Precila101

Lemon juice is definitely nature's best creation!! I currently use this before I go to bed and my skin looks lighter and brighter every morning!! My remaning pimples and zits are practially shrinking night by night. It burns a little for the first two seconds, but then the "stinging" gets neutral. Drinking 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 warm water gives my metabolism the kick to high gear and shed fat!! I lost 2 pounds in four weeks by drinking the water and lemon mixture every morning. And consuming lemon juice with water kills bacteria that causes acne, protects your skin from free radicals, has lots of antioxidants due to high content in Vitamin C, etc. Lemons are totally the best Mother Nature creation ever!!

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by tikabindu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This a great home remedy. I'm all for natural skin care! This is great for lighting skin and getting rid of oily skin. But be careful it can be a little to harsh!