April 17, 2014 | 1584 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Farouk CHI - Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2010 5:34:00 PM More reviews by goopycakes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EDIT 4/18/11 over a year with the Sedu and I'm am still loving it!

Oh, the Chi. Seemed like the best investment at first! Ok so I have in between straight and wavy hair (not a lot of fuss besides it is medium thick) BUT it's so ugly naturally I can't wear it anything but straight unless i use a curling iron. Anyways in 7th grade (2006) my friend did my hair with the CHI flat iron. It was an amazing result it was so straight i could run anything through it and not thing would get caught. Then I finally got it for Christmas the next year(2007). The CHI worked great and I usually used it everyday for school. Then less than a year later it started shorting out on me when i twisted the cord a certain way it also made a sparking noise when it did this. It had to be held in a certain position to keep on. Annoying? YES!

So since it hadn't been a year the warranty was not up on it so I sent it in for a new one. When I got the new one I expected it to work the same as the day I got it on Christmas. Nope. Same problem with the shorting out like they never even gave me a new one. I still used it though because I wasn't going to buy a new one. Then new problems formed such as when i press the hinge for it to go down it squeaks and sounds like it is going to break off.

NOW the worst problem with this thing is that it has a terrible burning smell! I actually stopped straightening my hair from may-october of 2009 because of the problem and just blow dried and round brushed it. Now that I got a hideous hair cut with layers that bush out I have to use it again! The burnt smell is horrible and it stays in my hair.

I am investing a Sedu 1 inch for my birthday soon and hoping that it works better.

The Chi has only one heat setting. The Chi shorts out after less than a year. The Chi is an overpriced piece of crap for a "salon professional beauty tool". The Chi makes your hair smell like it was in a fire. The Chi lasts less than a year. and the CHI is the most overhyped thing ever.

Do research on your beauty tool before you butcher your hair.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2010 6:13:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love my Chi!! I have had mine for over 5 years now and it is still working like brand new. I love that I can adjust the temperature, heats up quickly, has a swivel cord, and delivers great results of sleek, shiny, and smooth hair. I think I would be lost without it!! The initial cost of purchasing one can be a little steep, but the results and longevity of this tool pay for itself.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Upsides: Heats very quickly, straightens hair quickly, leaves hair relatively shiny, doesn't look damaged like with some hair straighteners.

Downsides: Price. Also, the iron gets very hot on the NON-ceramic side, which means that if you accidentally touch that side, or just move your hand too far up the handle, it will be VERY hot. I have done this repeatedly, and it annoys me- but not enough to disregard the positive attributes of this product.

Note: I put "no" for "would i buy again" only because I really don't want to shell out 100 bucks again- and I am hoping this one lasts me a long time. When/if it dies I may consider buying another one...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2010 2:04:00 PM More reviews by hollywoodd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

got this for christmas and now i never want to be without it!!! im sure other brands such as GHD are comparable but the chi is pretty amazing. ive NEVER had a styling iron make my hair SO damn shiny and soft. its incredible. totally worth the $120 so GET IT! lol

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2010 4:46:00 AM More reviews by msshai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this flat iron as a gift from a friend about 3 or 4 years ago and it still works great. It heats up to the perfect temperature to straighten the frizziness out of my hair after washing and for straightening the kinky new growth from my hair in between relaxing my hair. I had used conair and gold n hot flat irons and I found that they seemed to damage my hair and took forever to straighten it with dull results. This gives me a silky shine and I don't know what I'd do without it. That being said this iron does occasionally snag my hair. Its not often enough to be excessive or anything but I dont see why it should do that. Ive heard good things about the GHD and although ive yet to try it, in the event (God forbid!) that my CHI does break my flat iron purchase will probably be between those two.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by AmandaEve011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought two of these bad boys and they both broke on me for no reason. Not only that but it fried my hair. This is over-hyped, over-done, OVER-RATED! Don't waste your money, save it for the GHD or get the sedu, its so much better!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2010 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Vivora

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOOOOOVE it!! I have it for what like 6 years now and still going strong! My hair stay put for days after use. Just love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by silverbrook

I bought my Chi on Amazon for around $70, and I have had it for.... about 2 years now. It has been one of the best investments I've made. I have tried a lot of other straighteners which damaged my hair and didn't straighten it well. The Chi gets very, very hot but somehow I don't have any split ends. I had BILLIONS of split ends when I was using cheaper straighteners. The Chi will get my hair straight in less than half the time and leave my hair undamaged. I don't understand how one company designs their product differently from another so that it works so much better (it seems like such a simple concept - hot ceramic plates).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2010 9:06:00 PM More reviews by 623online

This is a fabulous product. It heats up amazingly fast, has a cord that completely swivels around, and -most importantly- gives you straight and sleek hair. I have thick and slightly wavy hair so I have to straighten it sections at a time and it works much better than the less expensive flat iron I had purchased several years earlier. Be sure to use a heat protectant.

This product is worth the price!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2010 12:27:00 AM More reviews by heymeghann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

The thing was wonderful at first. It made my INCREDIBLY curly [slightly kinky, VERY frizzy] hair stick straight, sleek and shiny and the best part is, it stays straight for days after use. The cord is all swivelly and pretty awesome, it heats up very quickly and it has done things for my hair that no other straightener could do.

However, due to the fact that there is no temperature setting, I'm not sure exactly how hot this thing gets, but it has literally fried the ends of my once healthy hair.

I guess if you don't use it very often, it's a great buy. But for people who really need to straighten their hair before they face the public, I'd recommend something that has a temperature setting because really, that's my only gripe since it gets so hot.