MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 6/15/2011 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Overall its a good product. I put this on before my moisturizer and it does keep the oil down a bit even though i still do have to blot. I wouldnt buy this again because i paid $30 for one ounce! And the packaging could be MUCH better. To scoop out all the product i have to cut it open because the packaging is so stiff.

on 6/14/2011 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I've been wearing this product for about 3 months now. It was recommended to me by a bunch of ladies with combination to oily skin to help my makeup last.

So far I think it is works well. No white cast on my face and no makeup meltdowns. Plus, the spf is definitely working because I haven't needed to buy a darker foundation shade for summer.

ETA March 2013: MAC changed the formula since my review.

I can no longer wear this primer. It's an absolute mess.

on 6/14/2011 3:00:00 PM

I don't use it every day so I can't say if it breaks me out yet. However, it is quite greasy, and it has a pasty feeling because of the SPF. Also, it gives the face a white look. It is more of sunscreen than a primer. I still think it accomplishes its purpose on hot and sunny summer days.

on 6/11/2011 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this primer. It's gives me a f
Awless finish under my Mac studio fix. Do not recommend wearing this at night while trying to take photos under flash

on 6/5/2011 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

My sensitive skin reacts badly to most primers but this one is fine. It controls my oily t-zone really well and helps keep my makeup in place all day long. The added SPF 50 is a bonus but I use a seperate broadscreen protection SS underneath anyway. It's not heavy or sticky on my skin and doesn't have much of a silicone feel like most primers do (I personally hate over-siliconey primers as it clogs my pores really badly)...downsides are the packaging and the price for the small amount of product you get.

on 6/5/2011 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Wonderful primer, one of the few I've found with an SPF that didn't go on incredibly thick or give my tanned skin a ghostly appearance, though it is a little bit thicker than I like in a primer. Also has the unexpected added benefit of being great at oil control, much more than MAC's oil control lotion on its own. 5-lippy worthy, but I had to remove one due to the horrendous packaging. As many others have mentioned it's a hard plastic that isn't conducive to getting the last bit of the product out, you have to cut it open. If it weren't for that, this would be an absolutely perfect primer.

on 5/30/2011 3:50:00 PM

This is a really nice primer and the spf 50 makes it even more worth it. I actually bought it more for the spf rather than the primer but the primer is really good too. I put it over my clinique moisturizer since the moisturizer doesnt have spf. it makes my make up go on very smooth with a nice finish

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

I have tried many a primer but nothing comes close to Prep and Prime Face Protect. This is the only primer that seems to be able to keep my shiny t-zone in check. I tested this with a long bike ride through the city on a hot summer's day. When I got home I was tired and sweaty, but my make-up looked just as good as when I left home. It's closer to a sunscreen than a primer in texture. It applies easily and provides an excellent base for make-up. One of the best things about this product is that it is a physical sunblock, not a chemical sunscreen. The main active ingredient is titanium dioxide, which provides stable, long-lasting and safer sun protection. The downside to titanium dioxide is that is can give skin a whitish cast. I'm quite pale so I don't notice it on my skin, but if you're darker-skinned I recommend getting a sample to see how it looks. The reason it only gets 4/5 instead of a perfect score is because of the price and the packaging. It's very expensive for a small amount of product. It comes in this awful tube packaging which makes it hard to squeeze all of the product out. I solved that problem by cutting off the top to get to the last few bits and there was still a lot left. Despite its flaws, this is still the best primer product that I've found, and I will continue to repurchase it.

on 5/26/2011 8:40:00 AM

This is my go to product in the spring/summer months when I need extra SPF protection! I am probably not using it correctly since its technically a primer.. but I use it as my primer/moisturizer/sunscreen all in one. It moisturizes and primes enough that my makeup goes on niec and smooth. I am going camping this weekend and this is all I am taking with me for my face besides my Olay wipes. I love quick/easy/multi use products!!! It is pricey though. And I would most certainly change the packaging. Its cute but NOT practical. The rounded top mean it can't sit upright on your counter.. and the "tube" is like hard plastic instead of something you can really squeeze. Once I get down to the end I am sure I will cut the tube open to get out the rest of the product. Overall I love this in the summer and I will be repurchasing.

on 5/16/2011 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I'm not mad about this primer. It was good for the first little while, then it went downhill.

Though I love that it is spf 50, which I need to use every day because I am so super pale, the texture is awful. Mine separated and went watery after about a month (despite being shaken before use and capped firmly after use, and being stored out of direct sunlight). Did anyone else have this problem?

I didn't like the packaging either, it was more lid than anything.