MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The primer is very creamy, it feels like a thick moisturiser and it's very easy to spread and apply. It doesn't dry to a completely matte finish though which is something I need. I find that it doesn't have the amazing oil control that a lot of people rave about but then again my skin is very oily.

The smell is disgusting, I have to hold my breath every time I use it.

The tube it comes in is a little hard to squeeze which is annoying but it looks nice.

It's very expensive for the amount of product. I think this would last a very long time though. I won't repurchase because I have found an ss with much better oil control for almost half the price!

As an employee for the company, I use this on almost all of my makeup appointments. It is meant to go ON TOP OF MOISTURIZER. It does not eliminate oil and it never claimed to. It simply helps control sebum throughout the day. Using your fingers does not help this issue either. People with oily skin should stick to using brushes and sponges.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this product! I find it has a nice sheer look to it, but not much, it's light and it makes my skin very soft, and I love the fact that it is SPF 50, I would much rather wear this outside rather than a sunscreen just because I have sensitive oily skin and I find this product works well with my skin. I find my makeup just glides on to my skin after I apply this and makes it so much easier to apply, stay on, and take off.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE 10/12/15: They changed the formula...reducing from 5 to 2. This is no longer as mattifying and slightly irritated my skin. Will not repurchase now.

ADORE. Love this high spf sunscreen, as I can use a smaller amount and still get a pretty good spf out of it. I'm not sure how others have a white cast with this because I do not at all. It also does not irritate my eczema as many sunscreens do. It can be a little drying around the eye area so I use a pure mineral (clinique city block) around that area, but this stuff is AMAZING for keeping my face matte, especially my trouble spot - nose. The only thing I hate about this product is the price tag and miniscule amount you get in the package. This is extremely over priced for a MAC product, but unfortunately this type of high spf/matte/no white cast product is hard to find, so I will fork it over. At least there is back 2 mac!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Overall its a good product. I put this on before my moisturizer and it does keep the oil down a bit even though i still do have to blot. I wouldnt buy this again because i paid $30 for one ounce! And the packaging could be MUCH better. To scoop out all the product i have to cut it open because the packaging is so stiff.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I've been wearing this product for about 3 months now. It was recommended to me by a bunch of ladies with combination to oily skin to help my makeup last.

So far I think it is works well. No white cast on my face and no makeup meltdowns. Plus, the spf is definitely working because I haven't needed to buy a darker foundation shade for summer.

ETA March 2013: MAC changed the formula since my review.

I can no longer wear this primer. It's an absolute mess.

I don't use it every day so I can't say if it breaks me out yet. However, it is quite greasy, and it has a pasty feeling because of the SPF. Also, it gives the face a white look. It is more of sunscreen than a primer. I still think it accomplishes its purpose on hot and sunny summer days.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this primer. It's gives me a f
Awless finish under my Mac studio fix. Do not recommend wearing this at night while trying to take photos under flash

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

My sensitive skin reacts badly to most primers but this one is fine. It controls my oily t-zone really well and helps keep my makeup in place all day long. The added SPF 50 is a bonus but I use a seperate broadscreen protection SS underneath anyway. It's not heavy or sticky on my skin and doesn't have much of a silicone feel like most primers do (I personally hate over-siliconey primers as it clogs my pores really badly)...downsides are the packaging and the price for the small amount of product you get.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Wonderful primer, one of the few I've found with an SPF that didn't go on incredibly thick or give my tanned skin a ghostly appearance, though it is a little bit thicker than I like in a primer. Also has the unexpected added benefit of being great at oil control, much more than MAC's oil control lotion on its own. 5-lippy worthy, but I had to remove one due to the horrendous packaging. As many others have mentioned it's a hard plastic that isn't conducive to getting the last bit of the product out, you have to cut it open. If it weren't for that, this would be an absolutely perfect primer.

Popular Primer/ Correctors