Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25

3.8

Ingredients: Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%), Other: Water, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Steareth-2, Stearyl Heptanoate, Aluminum Stearate, Silica, Lecithin, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitan Tristearate, Linoleic Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Methicone, Sorbitol, Sodium Rna, Phospholipids, Peg-40 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cellulose, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Pantethine, Bisabolol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Ceteth-2, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Steareth-20, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Stearate, Nylon-12, Citric Acid, Nylon-6, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Edta, Bht, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 7/2/2010 5:18:00 AM

I was looking for something to use as a primer that doesn't have silicone in it, to use as a primer. Previously I'd been using a light moisteriser but my skin gets pretty oily during the day and the sales assistant recommended this because it is meant to help control oil.
[CONS]
- It did help control oil in the first week, but given that it claims to "absorb excess oil"...I would expect it to work for longer than the first week.
- If you have dry skin, this isn't the product for you (unless you moisturise the dry bits of your face before you put it on), because it makes any dry skin look horribly noticeable.
- Takes a while to dry and has an oddly sticky/oily feeling finish

[PROS]
- It is decent primer, it holds my mineral foundation well
- It's got sun protection
- Does not cause break outs (my skin is prone to breakouts with primers that use silicone...which is most of the them, so this was the only product (that can be used as a primer), the sales assistant and I could find without silicone in the store)
- Nice packaging, clean and simple looking. Plus it's got all the components of the product clearly labelled on the side of the box.
- Acts like a tinted moisturiser but no coverage, only evens out redness/uneven skin tone
- No strong smell (perfume-free)

So if you have sensitive/acne prone skin that isn't dry/oily, then this product is probably suitable but there are much better sunscreens out there.

UPDATE: Whenever I need sun protection, I use Olay's Daily UV Moisurising Lotion SPF30+. It's not sticky, acts as an good makeup primer, has SPF30+ and is much more affordable.

on 6/30/2010 4:22:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really wanted to like this one... the UVA and UVB protection it provides is enough for sitting in the office all day. Plus, it has some good antioxidants in there too. AND, the slight tint of color is actually lovely. The main problem I had was the texture of it. I have normal to dry skin. When I applied this to my skin directly, it "curdled". Meaning little flakes or balls would appear here and there, making me look like my skin was shedding! So I tried a serum underneath... same effect. I tried a moisturizer underneath... same effect. I tried applying it to small areas of the skin... I tried applying a lot on. I just couldn't get this product to work! I finally had to return it to Sephora. If you have oily skin, this make work for you. I'm disappointed because the color is actually very nice. One last thing - I know from other reviews, they complained it's heavy. I did not find it to be heavy at all, but with my dry skin, I'm used to having lots of layers on my skin. :)

on 6/28/2010 2:54:00 PM

I usually apply moisturizer prior to applying this product, but I find that half way through the day my face starts to feel quite dry. I have since switched to Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch which does not make my skin feel dry. However, I do love how this product makes my skin look after applying. Not enough for me to purchase again though.

on 6/27/2010 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have quite dry skin but found this to have a very greasy feel to it-despite it being oil free.

I would definitely not recommend for those with oily skin types.

It is tinted but i found that the colour does nothing to even out skin tone. I would not choose this as a tinted moisturiser if that is what you are after.

I do like the fact it was spf 25, but the feel it leaves on my skin means i barely ever reach for it.

I will not repurchase this.

on 6/21/2010 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this SPF, but it is quite hard to blend it onto face.. I don't think it makes my makeup stay on longer, but it controls the slight oil I get on my forehead if it's hot outside. It isn't sticky or anything on my face, which is nice, but I don't think I would repurchase. Mostly because I don't see it as an outstanding SPF cream.
My sensitive skin doesn't get irritated by it though, so I will use up the tube I've got.

on 6/14/2010 10:02:00 PM

I was given this by the SA when I asked for a primer - she told me that this could be used as a great primer or could be worn simply as a protective tinted moisturiser. She was a liar.

This product has defiantly not delivered for me. As a primer it sucks, my Superfit looks cakey and horrible over it. It looks as if it is separating and sliding off my face does not prolong wear or create nice base, just not good!

As a tinted moisturiser it is OK if you can get past the fact that it is horrible to blend it balls up and goes on with claggy areas of tint wiped across your face. If on the off chance you do get it evenly blended it actually looks really nice, not oily just a nice glow but work really fast if you want this because as soon as this hits air it glugs up.

I love the idea of the tinted moisturiser/primer with SPF! This one is just a bit of a fail. A $30 fail.

I started using this after I got a terrible reaction to my usual Olay moisturizers with sunscreen. I suddenly developed really sensitive skin and would have itchy red patches all over my face! I also react badly to any moisturizers with soy in them, which i discovered when trying to find a substitute. This stuff was the first product I came upon that didn't sting when I put it on, and didn't give me any reactions.

At first I didn't like it because it made me feel like I had a weird slimy coating on my face about halfway through the day, but I have lately come to really love it. The texture is good and it goes on very evenly, and makes your skin feel and look dewy and soft. It evens out my skin tone just enough, and isn't obvious. The smell reminds me of ice cream sandwiches, which is a little weird, but it isn't detrimental. The packaging is not my favorite, because I am always dropping the giant heavy top, and the tube is not ideal for standing up on a counter, because it is also always falling over. If you have any dry flaky skin, this will just make it look worse, as the tinted stuff gets caught in the skin flakes and makes it even more obvious. But for a daily sunscreen/moisturizer, it's awesome!

on 6/11/2010 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

i got this as a christmas gift and to be honest i used it once and never again.

i dont like how it leaves a funny colour on my face and it kinda, makes me look oily. i gess all sunscreens do that to you. it didnt moisturise my dry spots either. did nothing really.

i didnt like how it was abid difficult to rub into my skin and i didnt like the smell either. i like the packaging though? id rather use a foundation with sunscreen in it as a replacement as thatd probably do a better job and even out my skintone.

i wouldnt purchase this on my own accord. no no no no way. i like clinique stuff, i own two other moisturisers of theirs and its been great, but i didnt like this one.

on 6/4/2010 5:02:00 AM

Been using this for a few years now as I have great problems with sunblock irritating my skin, but this is fine. I wear it every day over moisturiser and under powder, it makes a nice non-oily base and my make up goes on well. I'm very fair and it protects my skin without irritating or going greasy.

Decided to buy this instead of my usual product as that was too greasy and was making me break out.

I went to the counter and looked at the 40 & this the 25 spf - they are different shades (the 40 made me look like the undead) so make sure you try both...

On using it at home, after moisturising it goes on ok, and doesn't seem to 'sit' on the skin like some face creams and lotions or make it feel greasy. also seems to work well as a base for make up with my foundation or tinted moisturiser lasting longer than usual...

Not been using this for ages but so far no sign of a break out...