December 19, 2014 | 1158 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by brio815

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Asked for a sample from sephora. The SA gave me a very decent amount. I have seen a beauty guru with red skin & oily skin use this & rave about it. IMO it sucks. My face felt more oily and it felt thick. I could tell I had makeup. My face wasn't any less oily or matte. I was considering purchasing but not anymore. Glad I asked for a sample. Maybe it's a good foundation for winter. Idk. But def not when it's hot out. Or humid. Or warm.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2013 12:12:00 PM More reviews by fantommidnyte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My skin: very acne prone, scarring prone, combination between dry and oily. (mostly oily)
________________

I used to use Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo foundation, and I absolutely LOVED it. I loved that it was full coverage, thick, and had the perfect color match for me. However, he foundation line sells like hotcakes and the local Sephora never has it available. (I tried looking online too, but I need darker shades, and I won't buy unless I sample it first)

So, upon finding out that my Sephora will probably never carry the right shade for me ever again, one of the lovely ladies recommended the Make Up Forever Matte Velvet foundation. I loved it at first, then I found that it wasn't enough full coverage for me. And yet, after using it for the last month, I LOVE it. It's weird because I was so bi-polar about it at first.

It's not the full coverage I'm used to, but it's not light-medium, either. It's definitely build-able, and I love that it's literally matte once it settles on my face. My skin feels utterly smooth after application, it looks flawless, and I feel like I glow as well. It does not oxidize--which is super awesome! There isn't a noticeable chemical smell (for me, at least). It stays on my face all day--even if I work out at the gym and get all sweaty. (probably not recommended, but hey. I get lazy sometimes.)
The great thing that I personally love the most about it: it doesn't break me out. I've never once had a problem with this foundation creating more pimples or agitating my skin in any way.

All in all, I feel this was a great replacement to Kat Von D's foundation. I will definitely repurchase once I run low. Will I buy Kat Von D's foundation again as well? Possibly. It doesn't hurt to have more than one line, just in case. But Make Up For Ever has solidified a place in my heart forever, as well ;)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by krsn89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

* ABOUT MY SKIN *
- My skin is oily but dehydrated. My t-zone is an oil slick, but I also tend to get flaky around the nose and forehead. I have dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my chin. Any active acne tends to be extremely red and my cheeks get very red/flushed as well.
- I am Asian with yellow undertones. My colour in MAC (SFF) is NC35.

* PACKAGING & PRICE *
MUFE Mat Velvet + comes in a hard plastic squeeze bottle. There is a black plastic cap and the bottle itself is opaque. This retails for $42 at Sephora in Canada and comes in 16 different shades. I did not purchase this foundation, but I did go through 2 samples of it from Sephora.

* FORMULA, COLOUR & APPLICATION *
Mat Velvet + has a thicker consistency. It is not runny at all, but I prefer thicker foundations. It has a faint chemical scent that dissipates upon application. I am a very warm and yellow NC35 and I got samples of this in shade #40. This is a pretty good match for my skin. It is not quite yellow enough for me as I am very yellow, but it is definitely not pink or beige. It seems a hair too light for my skin but it's not really noticeable, and I would rather go with something too light than too dark anyways. I like using a flat top and buffing brush to apply this. I do apply it in sections just because I feel like it dries fairly quickly. It feels nice on the skin and blends easily, and does not set to a tacky finish whatsoever. It feels smooth and dry once it has set.

* COVERAGE & STAYING POWER *
I assumed this would be more pigmented than it actually is. I had to use a fair amount, probably a quarter sized blob, to get the coverage I wanted. This is more than I use for most foundations. Even at that amount, I still had to use concealer around my nose, which I don't usually do when I'm wearing liquid foundation. The finish of this is very matte, but it still looks natural, which I like. You WILL need to moisturize very well before using this. This accentuated dry patches I didn't even know I had! The staying power is what really put me off of this foundation. It has terrible staying power on my skin. I used this over the course of couple weeks with primer, without primer, different moisturizers under, powder, no powder and this just has bad staying power. I apply my makeup at 7 AM most days and by 9 AM, my oily nose has already eaten through this foundation, and that's with me sitting inside in an air conditioned office. I will have to blot and touch this up several times a day, or I will look like I rubbed oil on my face by 11 AM. So far, I have never had a foundation break down on me like this. This has zero oil control on my skin. It also seems to get patchy and blotchy later on, around the 6 hour mark. Every time I have worn this, I have been disappointed. I couldn't even wear this for longer than 8 hours without reapplying because it got so patchy and oily. This did not oxidize on me and does not transfer noticeably, though I do avoid touching my face in general. It photographs nicely with no white cast as it has no SPF. This did not break me out, and I remove this at night with a carrier oil followed by my Spectro Jel cleanser on a Olay Pro X brush.

* FINAL THOUGHTS *
I had really high hopes for this foundation. I had been sticking to primarily drugstore foundations but wanted to try something better, but this is worse than most of the drugstore ones I own! I do like the colour and blendability and finish, but this just lacks staying power and oil control. I work 12 hour days VERY often and I don't always have time to be fussing over my face and blotting and powdering etc. If you have slightly oily skin, then this might work for you, but if you are extremely oily like I am, this may not work. I did give it a fair chance over 2 weeks, but no matter what I use underneath or on top, the results are the same. It is a matte foundation in terms of finish, but it has NO oil control on me whatsoever. The price is quite steep for something that does not perform very well and unfortunately, this just did not work for me and I am glad I did not purchase this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by Alexschmidt

Hands down this is the best foundation I have ever had, matches my skin perfectly and it feels like I'm not even wearing foundation. It is a bit expensive for the size of the tube but it is worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2013 1:25:00 AM More reviews by fychen

I bought this foundation my engagement photo shoot. It was recommended to me at Sephora. I apply thin layers until I get the desired coverage. It does cover quite full! I wore primer under this foundation. And it lasted all day and kept me free of oil. I did not want any shine on my face in photos. One thing about it though, it is a little drying and can be patchy. So, if you have dry skin... I wouldn't really recommend it. It's pricey, but it will last you a long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by ahs767

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this out as a sample before committing to buy because finding foundation that a) matches my skin and b) doesn't melt off my face is nearly impossible. I had previously been using a powder foundation, but it wasn't giving me the coverage or the lasting power that I wanted.

I think I may have found my holy grail with this foundation! I had someone at Sephora do a shade match for me and I wound up sampling #25, which was a perfect match for my face. I was terrified that a liquid foundation would feel cakey and thick on my skin, but this went on so smooth and light. It's a medium to full coverage foundation, and it's very buildable. The thing that really sold me though is that 7 hours later I very little oil breakthrough in my t zone and none on the rest of my face! The little bit of oil that did manage to make it through is only enough to give my skin that "dewy" look, it's certainly not enough that someone would look at my face and say "Oh, she has oily skin."

The $42 (before taxes) price here in Canada is a bit of an ouch, but for the results I would pay it. My only other gripe is that it doesn't have a pump, but that's just a personal preference for packaging.

Overall this is a great foundation, and I'd recommend that anyone who has problems with oily skin give it a try.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Sturgmom

I really like the coverage of this foundation. I need medium to full without looking Carey and this foundation fits the bill. It also keeps my combination, acne-prone skin less oily and I have fewer blemishes. It dries on the skin VERY quickly so you have to blend quickly when applying. The only reason I wouldn't rebuy this product is bc even the lightest shade is too dark for my skin. Bummer, bc I really like this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2013 5:56:00 PM More reviews by definelove

For all you oily gals out there with old acne scars, this is going to be your best friend. This is definitely a full coverage foundation, and what I like is that I don't need to apply a lot of it to get that full coverage look. It never looks cakey whatsoever, and does a fantastic job at controlling my oily t-zone area. For optimal results, I highly recommend using a brush like the Sigma F80, or the other angled one that comes with the F80 Sigmo trio (I forget the number).

It'd be nice if the foundation came with a pump of some sort, but I don't mind squeezing it out of the bottle as well. One bottle lasts a long time. I don't use foundation daily, but I suspect that everyday use would probably give you a solid year's worth of foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by makemyday01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The compliments I receive when I wear this product aren't "your makeup is so beautiful", but "your skin is so beautiful". It barely looks like I'm wearing anything at all and I'm a Bare Minerals girl, and my acne scarred skin is fully covered. I have oily, acne prone skin and this foundation works like a charm and last all day with a primer. I'm addicted.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by sammm27

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FOUNDATIONS I HAVE EVER TRIED! I have oily skin and this literally lasts me all day, and I hardly ever have to touch it up! The only problem I have is that the color selection does not work for me:( I have to blend foundations to get the perfect color but I love everything else about this foundation so it's a keeper!