Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

3.4

Water (aqua), Cyclomethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Dimethiconol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Lysozyme, Sodium Citrate, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (lavender), Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 1/4/2009 2:27:00 PM

I've noticed with Philosophy products that they tend to sell many of the same products but rename them. For instance, the ingredients listed are exactly the same for The Present as the On a Clear Day protection cream! Both work the same, just different names! Anyway, on to my review. I used this as a primer and worked ok, it's pretty thick and heavy, so needless to say it clogged my pores. Same with on a clear day cream, I stopped using both and that helped my skin some. I was hoping for better from Philosophy, they are so well known. I was surprised to see reviews on their products are not so great. I wish I would've found MUA sooner before wasting all the money I have on worthless products!

on 1/1/2009 5:22:00 PM

I like this. I tend to wear it under foundation, as a primer rather than as a 'clear makeup' but when my skin is really behaving, I may go with this over HIAJ and just go out like that. It's got a thick lotion texture and goes on smoothly. It doesn't glob up on my foundation brush which I appreciate. A lot of primers that I use build up on my brush giving me an uneven appearance. This has a gentle lavender smell, a delicate smell. It does smooth out my skin, minimizes pores, but doesn't fill in wrinkles - I don't think it's thick enough. I don't have a problem with breaking out with this, or any other Philosophy product so it all depends on skin chemistry. I don't find any long-term effects - good or bad. Love that it's in a tube.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is an okay product, nothing special i've used better & i've used worse. My main grip is that this breaks me out, at first i thought it was just me but im getting acne on places on my face that i never get them, for example my chin and the side of my cheeks. Alot of people don't like the smell, but i LOVE the smell i find it soothing, when it comes to my oily skin this doesn't help keep ollies at bay at all, but it does seem to minimize some pores not all but some. I find it to be more of an enviormental protection product than anything else. Over all if this didn't break me out i would re-purchase mainly because i like the smell & it does make my face awful soft.

on 12/12/2008 11:40:00 AM

I absolutely love this!! At first, I was annoyed because it caused my face to look flaky in some spots, but then I decided to apply a light moisturizer under it. I let the moisturizer set for about 2 minutes and then I apply The Present. This works wonderfully. My face feels so smooth, and it keeps a matte finish all day when I use this. I don't wear a foundation so this is the best thing ever invented for those of us that want a smooth, matte appearance without having to pile on makeup. I befriended the Philosophy consultant at Nordstrom, and she gave me 10 deluxe samples of this, but I will definitely purchase the full size bottle without hesitation. Some people consider this expensive, but there are many primers that cost more and you have to wear those with foundation because thats when they perform best. But with The Present I ask you, "Why pay more for ordinary, when you can pay less for extraordinary?" Philosophy is my company of choice for now. Run out and purchase this!! LOL

on 12/8/2008 2:01:00 PM

The main problem I have with my skin is that it gets shiny and I need to blot at least a couple of times during the day. My dream primer would keep the shine at bay and keep my makeup looking fresh at the end of the day.

I got this as a sample from Sephora and I used it for several days. I used it in place of my regular moisturizer and then put my foundation on. By itself, I really didn't notice any difference in the way my skin looked. It does have a lemony scent like other reviews described.

I noticed that right after I applied my foundation, it looked a bit smoother, but the primer didn't prevent my makeup from fading during the day.

During the day, I noticed that I still had to blot the same amount as usual and it caused me to break out.

A little does go a long way. I still had plenty left in the sample packet, but I tossed it since it made me break out.

I didn't buy this to begin with, but I would not purchase a full size bottle of this.

on 10/18/2008 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm on the fence about this product. It does help decrease oil production and it doesn't break me out. I can tell a difference in my T-zone when I don't use it, it does minimize my pores as much as any product can, and one tube has lasted me over 6 months. But, I still think there's something better out there. I still need to wear foundation with it, I will probably not repurchase, since $20 is a lot to spend on a product.

on 10/10/2008 2:08:00 PM

I use this product alone without any makeup. When I want a primer, I use Laura Geller's Spackle instead. The Present Clear Makeup helps tremendously to decrease the appearance of the pores on my cheeks (near my nose) and makes my face have a smoother, less wrinkled appearance. I find it helps keep my face looking fresh and matte for hours and I touch it up in the mid-afternoon in my oily T-zone area. To apply, I gently pat it on with clean hands instead of spreading it on like a cream. I find this helps get it into the lines/wrinkles/pores better. A little goes a long way- good value. To me it smells like lavender, not lemon.

on 9/10/2008 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I'm also not completely impressed with this product. It dried out my skin a little. But I like the smell of it, lemony. It did mattify my face but dryness was the side effect. I prefer the Bare Escentuals Primer much better to this. I also wouldn't view this as a moisturizer and works only so-so as a primer.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

i've used this as a primer and im not impressed...loved the scent though...it makes me oily within a few hrs...i prefer laura geller's spackle over this....even wore this on its own and i still got oily....it doesnt feel silicony not does it dry powdery...i must admit that my face does feel pretty soft with this stuff

on 9/10/2008 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this also as a GWP, at Sephora and the lady gave me like a months worth. I use this everytime I use foundation, on top of my moisturizer, and I don't feel it sitting on my face as much as Smashbox's Photo Finish (although I would still use Smashbox's on a night out or on special occasions). It also doesn't make you too pale in photos like other primers do...So this is my HG primer, and I haven't broken out or gotten clogged anything yet.

Popular Primer/ Correctors