November 21, 2014 | 1641 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2010 9:05:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this cleanser for my Combo Skin with Hormonal breakouts, it's just what I was looking for. Minimal ingredients, soothing, removes makeup like a charm. No it does not foam, so your not going to get that squeaky clean feeling, but it does not strip you skin. One of the biggest mistakes I see with people who are more oily and combo is the tendency to want to strip all the oils out of their skin. All this does is make your skin secrete even more oil. You want to balance your skin, not dry it out. So this cleanser is perfect!

I use a quarter size amount on dry skin..yes, dry Skin!!! Rub it in for about 40 seconds to a minute, letting the enzymes work. The I take a little water and rub in again and rinse. I am using the Glycolic Toner from MB afterward or if my face is Dry, I use the Aloe toner. Always use a toner ladies. You may think they are not necessary, but they balance the Ph of your skin, which is important to good skin health. Too acidic or too alkaline is going to either make you dry and wrinkled or breakout.

I think this cleanser is good for the value, I can't see myself buying this more than twice a year (8oz bottle). I also like the fresh smell, it;'s not overwhelming, just clean smelling.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2010 7:11:00 PM More reviews by mixedgreens

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have hit-or-miss luck with MB products, and this was definitely a miss. I don't think this cleanser agreed with my skin - it left my face dry and tight and irritated my skin after a week or so of use. I used this as a teenager without any problems, and my skin is drier and more sensitive now, so that may be why I don't like it anymore. I wish I liked it though, because the smell is mild, I love the packaging, and you don't need to use much product to clean your face.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2010 5:12:00 PM More reviews by lizkr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this cleanser. I've used it for over 2 years, which, being as fickle as i am with skin care, is nothing short of a miracle. I began using this after a round of Kiehl's Herbal Blue to combat pimples. It is soothing, non-irritating, doesn't dry out your skin and removes all my make-up (although i don't wear loads of it). People seem to be complaining about the smell, it isn't a beautiful smell but it isn't disgusting either. I think the lack of a brilliant smell just shows you how gentle and non-toxic this cleanser is for your skin.
I would recommend this to people who have dry, slightly irritated skin.
It isn't outrageously expensive but a bottle lasts me a whole year (washing twice a day) which i think is very cost effective.
I only gave it 4 stars however due to the fact that the label always washes off and it becomes a completely label-less bottle which is quite annoying.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 9:49:00 AM More reviews by joccee

What is claims: The non-foaming, gel cleanser thoroughly removes the day’s make-up, dirt and oil without drying the skin. Papaya and Grapefruit Extracts are exfoliating Alpha Hydroxy Acids that help prevent dulling build-up that can cause blackheads and pimples. It is also stated as their "Best Selling Daily Cleanser" on MB website.

Is it true? ---

I use it once a day, at night and I have been using it for at least 2 months now. This cleanser DOES NOT FOAM at all. So, users who prefer foaming face cleanser, this is not for you. This is very similar to Avene Gentle Gel Cleanser, which does not foam too. (I adore both very much.)

I also noticed that this cleanser does get a little warm when you rub it between your hands. I'm not sure what is it that makes it warm. It's just weird and special like this.. I am very sure it is definitely not from the warmth in my palms or because I rubbed it too long. The cleanser itself warm up within seconds, amazing.. :) And honestly, I quite like that feeling especially when weather is a little colder now. But most importantly, it does not break me out as I have sensitive skin :)

PROS:
- only need a pea size amount for the entire face
- cleanser gives off a nice scent which does not break my face out.
- I noticed that it does help breaks off the dead skin on your face when I rub it in with little pressure when I feel like my face is 'heavy' with loose/flakey skin.
- Somewhat acts like an exfoliator but more gentle and mild than those face scrub which contain beads..
- Hygienic nozzle packaging

CONS:
- none for me at the moment

My skin type: Combination, oily t-zone and cheeks are prior to drying/flaking if too much harsh products are used.

Ingredients: BaDeionized Water (Aqua),Glycerin,Papaya (Carica Papaya Fruit) Extract,Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis Fruit) Extract,Monomide,Triethanolamine,Methylparaben

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2010 5:26:00 AM More reviews by Jazzy1354

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this product! For me this cleanser is very good for removing makeup, lightly cleansing your face in the mornings, clearing my acne, and brightening my skin. I use this cleanser both in the morning and night. At night I use this before the Mario badescu glycolic cleanser, and in the morning I use it on its own just to lightly cleanse the skin. This cleanser is amazing, it definitely has played a part in clearing up my acne and keeping it away. I actually started my sister on this cleanser who is also acne prone and this is one of the only cleanser she will use! My acne before was BAD, white heads, red pimples and cycstic acne, and this definitely has helped clear it. Now I get compliments on how clear my skin is! This cleanser could work on virtually anyone's skin, it is very light, doesn't suds up and just gently washes the skin. It may be pricey to some ($12.00 for 8 oz) but this cleanser last me about 5-6 months and that is with using it twice daily. Bottom line I would recommend this product to everyone but especially those who just want a light non-stripping cleanser!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/5/2010 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Daisy100

i almost never break out. but this gave me bumps all over my cheeks and forehead. not a good product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 12:55:00 PM More reviews by darkharbour

Oh, this is great. So soothing and yet it cleans thoroughly. I barely need to moisturize. Lovely soft herbal scent. A little goes a LONG way.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2010 10:41:00 PM More reviews by mmm19456

At first this cleanser may appear to not clean your face because i was so used to the cleansers that strip all the moisture from the skin. This cleanser keeps the moisture in your skin and cleans well. It is a mild exfoliate, which is good because my skin can not handle exfoliation. My skin used to be horrible with acne. I am 19 years old and have struggled with acne quite some time. I have tried many acne products. But, with just this cleanser my acne has cleared up. Its not a miracle cure because its only a cleanser. But it will help after a month. The cleanser evened my tone, and I do not use acne medication. However, I still have acne but to a milder case. I really love this cleanser!!! It also lasts for a long time!! It lasts longer than a drug store cleanser!! I got the 16oz for 20 dollars. I love this definitely a good purchase compared to acne medication and cleansers that don't work. My skin is sensitive, oily/combination skin, dry(winter), acne prone, and prone to redness. I love this cleanser give it a try!! It may help!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2010 9:42:00 PM More reviews by jessical5183

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been using this cleanser for about 2 years now. I first found Mario Badescu while searching for acne solutions to remedy my issues. My skin was HORRIBLE. I had cystic acne on my chin and jawline, pustules, blackheads, whiteheads, etc. While I can't say that this was what directly cleared my skin up, it never irritated it.

Now, my skin is almost completely clear (thanks to years of perfecting my routine), but I still use this cleanser and probably will for years to come. It is so effective, so gentle, so soft, and it just feels amazing and luxurious on my skin. It's a bit pricey, not too bad though. Definitely worth it. Plus, I'm always able to find a discount on Mario Badescu's site, or free shipping. And they always send 3 free samples!

At the moment I'm using Clinique's Acne Solutions 3-step facial treatment, but the cleanser in this Clinique line is a JOKE when it comes to removing makeup. So I still pre-cleanse with Mario Badescu's Enzyme Cleansing Gel and it takes all of my makeup off in a cinch! After my face is rid of makeup, I then begin with my Clinique system to make sure it's really getting into my skin without mixing with dirt, oil, and makeup from the day.

I highly recommend this to anyone! It's a great cleanser! But for those of you with acne, don't expect this to solve your problems. It won't cause further breakouts, but it won't clear them either.

UPDATE::: I no longer use Clinique's Acne Solutions 3-step facial treatment as mentioned above. I hate it. But I do still use my trusted Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel!! My new routine is to use it after I've removed my makeup (for that I love to use Bioderma Sensibio H2O or DHC's Deep Cleansing oil, yes even on my oily skin). After that, I use the Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel with my Clarisonic, although I'm feeling that at this point it may be a bit too drying. Maybe because the Clarisonic cleans so deeply? I'll know soon, as I'm currently shopping for more of a cleansing "milk" to use with my Clarisonic to see if that'll be less drying on my skin. I don't want to take any lippies off the rating though, because this is a great product in itself and depending on when you use it in your regimen, it can either work perfectly or be a bit too stripping. It's all up to you. Overall, though, it's a highly dependable cleanser. I think I'll always have it in my cabinet. It always gets the job done, works great if you want to use it as a makeup remover (might leave a bit of mascara on your eyes though if you don't use a separate eye makeup remover), and it has never ever ever ever given me problems with my acne. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2010 7:55:00 AM More reviews by av315

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser. I just started a whole new skin regimen so I cannot say that this cleanser is the reason for all the positive changes (I bought it and started using it at the same time that I got my new Clarisonic Mia a month ago). What I can say is that, although not advertised as the most natural of products, I love that it has just 6 or 7 ingredients. My skin was going HAYWIRE from other natural products (Avalon, Burt's Bees, Dr. Hauschka, etc) even the ones for sensitive skin and I never had huge skin problems to begin with.

It cleanses my skin without feeling harsh AT ALL and I had to go through 7 cleansers before I got to this one. Also, I absolutely LOVE the smell of this stuff, it smells great (light and fresh) without smelling perfume-y but also without smelling like a lot of the natural products I tried that smell harsh or just plain gross. I think the price is not a "steal" per se but very reasonable for what it is. Also, I use it with the Mia so I only use about a dime-sized amount and it does the trick. I've had the bottle for a month and use it every night and it looks like it will last me another 6 months or so.

CON: contains methylparaben