October 23, 2014 | 830 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2009 11:30:00 AM More reviews by jadedgurl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I debated whether or not to buy this brush for quite some time but I am soooo glad i did. It is the perfect size, is great for stipling concealer and picking up blush. I had a hard time depositing the right amount of blush with other brushes that claimed to be equal to the 188 but this brush is beyond superior. I love this brush and am planning on purchasing a back up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2009 3:36:00 AM More reviews by lareinaxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

this is my all time favorite brush from mac :)

it is an all purpose brush, i mean i use it for everything!! i even have a backup because i don't think i could handle a day without my baby lol okay so here's my review:
the 188 brush is a smaller version of the ever so popular 187, the only main difference is the size. the 188 is a lot smaller and that is the reason i like it so much, i use this for a variety of things, and if i had to suggest one brush to a new mac user i would say this one. because you can complete your whole makeup routine with one brush!!

-the size of the handle and brush fit perfectly in my hand and give me perfect control of where im placing my product

-when i apply my foundation [face & body C4] i use the brush to stipple the liquid on..and i only stipple, by bouncing the brush up and down on the skin until every area is covered. when your done you can buff it in by swirling the brush but i don't because i like that pixelized airbrush finish the stippling gives you :)

-the 188 can get in your crevices like the sides of your nose, by your ears, your forehead and under eyes easily because its pretty small, where as a bigger brush may not be able to get in those spots without streaking

-the 188 also makes a great powder brush..when i just want a quick finished look but i have no time, ill apply "studio fix powder" with the 188 by again stippling it on gently and this time i buff it in and swirl swirl swirl, this gives me a nice completed look in seconds

-after you apply your makeup you want to either apply a beauty powder/blush/or bronzer & the 188 is perfect for all of them!! all you do is grab some product on your brush and stipple it on gently to make sure you don't go to heavy..and again..swirl and buff, u can repeat this step if you want to achieve a night time more dramatic look :)

-contouring & highlighting, take your favorite contour color/bronzer and apply with your 188 in your cheekbone area in a small swirly motion until you have those demure cheeks. for highlighting take your fave highlighter, like an msf and lightly go over the top of your cheeks and nose :)

-moisturizer/concealer, lets say you want to apply your favorite eye cream but don't want to pull or tug with your fingers, you can use the 188 to gently stipple & swirl the cream under your eyes until its soaked in. also with concealer, i have not applied it with the 188 but i love to go over my concealer right after im done applying it with this brush in a light swirl motion, it will burr out any lines or creases :)

this was a really long review but this is an amazing brush and if your having any second thoughts between this brush or another from mac but don't have money to get both, get this one because you can most likely achieve the same thing with the 188..now the 187 does do the exact same thing with the same concept, but its made more for foundation and blush, the 188 can get into the hard to reach places :)
now go and get you one!!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2009 12:07:00 AM More reviews by lalalie_xoxo

I really like this and I think that in comparison to the 187 it's uses are different enough to justify buying it. I like being able to lightly apply my blush and then slowly build it up to the desired look and with this I'm able to do that better than with my 187. My 187 is far too large for my cheeks so I end up having a large blushing area... making my face look so large. I remember when I first used this to apply blush I got so many compliments on how beautiful and high my cheek bones were, when... I really don't even have that pronounced cheek bones. =)

This is especially great to use with MAC Mineral blushes because those are very pigmented and have a lot of shimmer. I find that if I use this brush for application, I pick up not only the right amount of colour but also not too much shimmer to make an overly disco-ball-esque or oily look.

I love this brush and I'd definitely repurchase this product if it ever broke or if I lost it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2009 11:54:00 PM More reviews by mzcali4nia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I bought this instead of my 187 brush. My 187 now I just use for moisturizer application just so it actually gets some use. My 187 didn't work too well for foundation application (made my pores look big around my nose), it just too big for blush application on my small face, and it wasn't picking up enough product for powder application. I use this for blush/highlighter application because I tend to have a heavy hand and since I have a small face and have small hands it allows more control. This is a HG for me and I carry it in my purse everywhere.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2009 10:14:00 AM More reviews by JanM

I use this brush to apply my YSL touche eclat/radiant touch around the eye area. I got this tip from a MA on youtube (gossmakeupartist) and it really is perfect for that purpose. I dot the touche eclat around the eye area (or to be more accurate sploge it on), and then go over the area with my eyes closed with the #188 in light circular motions. Result is flawless application which lasts all day. To start with I thought that this would be a bit of a fag, using a brush to apply a concealer around the eye, especially when the product I use has an integrated brush, but it takes half the time to apply and enables me to use more product on first application rather than applying, waiting, dabbing and patting then reapplying to get the right coverage. The price is a bit steep, but it does the job.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this brush and its amazing to apply any foundation gel, liquid, and even powder.

It is probably the most favorite brush that I've ever gotten I absolutely adore it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 3:54:00 PM More reviews by flowersfade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i hope to god i never have to buy this brush again but i know if anything happened to it, i would.

aside from the price, i see no cons. i would have gotten the 187 brush but it was out of stock online, and i figured this was just as good, it'd probably just take a little longer. actually i'm glad i got this one first because it's really easy to fit around small areas like my nose, between my brows, chin, ect. i plan to buy the 187 eventually to speed up application on my cheeks and jaw, but for now this is fine.

i really love the way my foundation looks when i use this brush. i stipple it on and then swirl or brush down the rest of my face, there are NO streaks, and it feels really nice on my face because it's so soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2009 5:32:00 AM More reviews by jimmychoordam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this brush after using the 187 and being so impressed by that one. I initially used the 187 for foundation and blush but found that it's too big for the apples of my cheek. For this reason I purchased the 188, I use it for applying blush, both cream blush and powder blush. It glides on perfectly and I can control the cheek area better. Take care of your brush and clean it after every use. The white of the brush stays white this way and bacteries won't settle in the hairs.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 11:03:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great brush. I use it almost daily to apply my liquid foundation- Face and Body. I like this one much better than the 187 which I feel is too large to use on my face. The brush has no shedding issues.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2009 11:56:00 AM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wish I got this brush instead of the 187, it works so much better on my small face lol Unlike the 187 which can leave me streaky spots on my hard to reach small areas, the 188 is PERFECT for stippling on my liquid/gel/cream foundations. I avoided this brush for so long because of the Silk Naturals Fiber Optic which a lot of beauty bloggers claimed as a dupe. After owning and using both the 188 and the Silk Naturals I'm sorry but the 188 is a lot better! The synthetic white hairs of the 188 is stiffer and gives more control when buffing while the Silk Naturals brush white bristles are a lot softer (think of the difference between the 187 and the Coastal Scents skunk brush - NOT at all the same). I've wasted so much money on "dupes" and I wish I didn't!

This brush not only works great with liquid foundations it works amazing with concealers! I normally use my 217 to give my concealer a less heavier look and while that works just as well the 188 gives it a way better finish. The 188 has so many uses just like the 187, but again the size is what makes it better than the 187 for me :)