MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

4.3

on 4/15/2009 11:40:00 AM

This was my absolute first MAC face brush, no wait, my first long handle MAC face brush. I purchased it because I thought it was unique and wanted a brush for face powder (at the time studio fix powder), but I rarely used it. Now that I am more familiar with cosmetics and tools, I am more aware of its uses, but I still do not show it love. It sits there and occasionally gets used because I feel that one day I will have an epiphony with it, but I still have to "force" myself to grab it. I tried it with blush, do not really care for it, somewhat too small, used it for highlight, but the application is too sheer, tried it for liquid foundation, too small and blotchy, 187 better of course, or 109. The white bristles seem to disappear when wet, as if they are too sparse, so I find that it makes the application uneven, but please try it if you really want it because it is a good quality/unique brush. Get it if the 187 is too big, or if you want it in your brush collection, but I do not think it is necessary.

on 4/12/2009 3:27:00 AM

I like the 188...I just don't love it as much as the 187. I like my blush to make me look like I'm glowing, which the 187 does. The 188 to me seems much better for a well-defined blush placement, if that makes sense. I think once I get my hands on another 187 (or something similar) I may just use this to add some dimension to my blush on top of the 187, or I might just use this for foundation, to get into smaller areas.

on 4/10/2009 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Perfect for blending my foundation or tinted moisturizer in between my eyes, around my nose area, and right above my eyebrows. Also great for very pigmented blushes.

I have both the MAC 187 & 188. Unlike many people I am not in love with my MAC 187 brush! It's a bit too big for certain applications. Which is why I bought the MAC 188. I love using this with the MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 foundation. It makes the application and blending of this particular foundation a breeze.

on 4/10/2009 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Um..........., crickets in the background as i try to wrap my mind around y i brought this brush in the first place, i already have 3 187 mac brushes for different reasons but this one i thought would be good for the application of blush-NO, application of bronzer-NO, application of powder, maybe in the crevices of my face-NO and lastly maybe for application of several of my foundations in any form it may come, liquid, powder or creme- Big Hell to the NO. Ok this brush may not be so bad for blush but i like blush to look extremely natural, hence the 187, this brush to me brings the pigment to make it noticeable, so im stuck once again with a purchase that was made out of greed and not out of neccessity. I would attempt to take it back but lost the receipt and chucked the plastic it came in. So now i practically have all of mac's brushes with this one sitting in the wtf pile. Edit- So im giving this 2 more lippies bc it is great to apply blush with as well as my msf highlighters, so i take back some of the negativity i said before however i only use this for blush when the 187 is making the blush a little too sheer if that makes any sense.

on 4/10/2009 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using my fingers to apply MUFE Mat Velvet + and the result was relatively good. Initially, I thought using a stipple brush was a redundant step. But after reading so many reviews online and watching makeup videos on youtube, I was too tempted to try the stippling method. I have to give 1 million stars to this brush.Totally fell in LOVE with it!!!! The white brittles are dense enough for a perfect distribution of products and the result was a flawless HD effect since I have relatively good complexion to begin with, except for an oily T-zone. The price is a little steep but its worth every penny. The size of this brush is just perfect for my medium-sized face and also good for powder/creme blusher/bronzer, truly multi-purpose. My advice is to buy MAC's brush cleaner to clean the brush after each use. For the lazy girls out there, you would rather make the extra effort or risk getting bacteria into your pores and face skin problems that will cost you more $$$.

on 4/9/2009 7:20:00 PM

I LOVE this brush. I don't know how I lived without it. It creates such a natural and yet airbrushed look and is small enough to get into the "creases" by my nose and eyes. Absolutely wonderful. However, the price is a bit much but I love my MAC so I guess that is the sacrifice. It is also quite easy to clean even when I wear my Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation.

on 4/9/2009 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this because the I think stippling is the best way to apply liquid foundation. I use my Sonia Kashuk 187 dupe to do the majority of my face, but places around my nose, eyes, and forehead are impossible to get to with a big brush. The 188 is perfect for these smaller areas. This can also be used for blush, but I prefer the larger 187 for that. I highly recommend this brush for anyone who stipples on their foundation.

on 4/3/2009 11:30:00 AM

I debated whether or not to buy this brush for quite some time but I am soooo glad i did. It is the perfect size, is great for stipling concealer and picking up blush. I had a hard time depositing the right amount of blush with other brushes that claimed to be equal to the 188 but this brush is beyond superior. I love this brush and am planning on purchasing a back up.

on 3/31/2009 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

this is my all time favorite brush from mac :)

it is an all purpose brush, i mean i use it for everything!! i even have a backup because i don't think i could handle a day without my baby lol okay so here's my review:
the 188 brush is a smaller version of the ever so popular 187, the only main difference is the size. the 188 is a lot smaller and that is the reason i like it so much, i use this for a variety of things, and if i had to suggest one brush to a new mac user i would say this one. because you can complete your whole makeup routine with one brush!!

-the size of the handle and brush fit perfectly in my hand and give me perfect control of where im placing my product

-when i apply my foundation [face & body C4] i use the brush to stipple the liquid on..and i only stipple, by bouncing the brush up and down on the skin until every area is covered. when your done you can buff it in by swirling the brush but i don't because i like that pixelized airbrush finish the stippling gives you :)

-the 188 can get in your crevices like the sides of your nose, by your ears, your forehead and under eyes easily because its pretty small, where as a bigger brush may not be able to get in those spots without streaking

-the 188 also makes a great powder brush..when i just want a quick finished look but i have no time, ill apply "studio fix powder" with the 188 by again stippling it on gently and this time i buff it in and swirl swirl swirl, this gives me a nice completed look in seconds

-after you apply your makeup you want to either apply a beauty powder/blush/or bronzer & the 188 is perfect for all of them!! all you do is grab some product on your brush and stipple it on gently to make sure you don't go to heavy..and again..swirl and buff, u can repeat this step if you want to achieve a night time more dramatic look :)

-contouring & highlighting, take your favorite contour color/bronzer and apply with your 188 in your cheekbone area in a small swirly motion until you have those demure cheeks. for highlighting take your fave highlighter, like an msf and lightly go over the top of your cheeks and nose :)

-moisturizer/concealer, lets say you want to apply your favorite eye cream but don't want to pull or tug with your fingers, you can use the 188 to gently stipple & swirl the cream under your eyes until its soaked in. also with concealer, i have not applied it with the 188 but i love to go over my concealer right after im done applying it with this brush in a light swirl motion, it will burr out any lines or creases :)

this was a really long review but this is an amazing brush and if your having any second thoughts between this brush or another from mac but don't have money to get both, get this one because you can most likely achieve the same thing with the 188..now the 187 does do the exact same thing with the same concept, but its made more for foundation and blush, the 188 can get into the hard to reach places :)
now go and get you one!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials