December 21, 2014 | 1107 users online

Foundations - Yves Saint Laurent - Perfect Touch Radiant Brush Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 5/24/2008 12:20:00 PM More reviews by creedmah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in #4 and the color seems okay, maybe a tad light. I wear Gentle Ivory in Chanel Teint Innocence and that's a good match for me. I'm finding that this is a bit too drying for me, but I may try it when the weather gets hotter and more humid. But for winter and spring, it definitely is too drying, especially on my cheeks ( I have dry/combo skin).

I don't like the brush, it doesn't seem to spread evenly on my skin and leaves streaks, so I blend with my fingers. I'll have to try it again to test the 'radiance' factor, but at first, I couldn't get past the drying effect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2008 10:40:00 AM More reviews by frucht_tasche

It is definitely one of the best foundations I've used. As other reviewers said, the finish is absolutely beautiful: not drying but not oily/sticky at all. I also love how it keeps my face matt but does not dry out my skin. I have dry skin, which is now under control (warm weather and good moisturizer). It evens out complexion perfectly without looking masky. & It does wear well: I rarely need to touch up. I am NC 20-25 and I use No 4, which is a hint too light but still fine (It's a very nice shade: yellow toned but not too yellow/peach). I guess I can also use No 5. After reading reviews, I also pulled out the brush: this way, the packaging is not bad. FYI: short comparison with a few fdts I used: 1) Cle de peau cream (I used to love this one but I prefer YSL because it wears better, and the shade selection is better. also YSL one looks more natural) 2) Chanel TI liquid (prefer YSL because TI does not seem to wear as well) 3) BB luminizing and moisture rich (too yellow, does not wear well) 4) LSF (like it but it is a bit more drying than YSL) 5) Armani Hydra Glow (I quite like it in winter but it is a lot more shiney than YSL) 6) By Terry Teint Delectation (my HG, quite similar to YSL but I find By Terry more moisturizing/emollient and the finish of By Terry is a hint more natural)

Update Oct 2008: Now this is my HG. If my skin is in a decent condition (not too dry), this fdt looks great on. It looks so natural while covering very well. Now I think I like it even more than By Terry fdt (By Terry I could not find an exact shade match). It works very well with the matching powder. A great fdt.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2008 4:24:00 PM More reviews by geraldineosowska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Like the other reviewers I agree YSL need to ditch that brush!!!
I tend to squeeze some of the product on the back of my hand and sponge/finger it onto my face and it gives me an adorable dewy glow.

I'm probably the palest person I know and I was really shocked when the S.A recommended #3, When she was applying it I was thinking "great I'm going to look like an orange" but was pleasently surprised when it looked fantastic over my pink undertones.

The foundation doees seem quite sheer but I think it covers a multitude of sins thanks to it's light reflecting nature.

Overall a worthy product that i'll definately be buying again!

xox

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by patoots30

I didnt appreciate this foundation the first time I tried it. It seemed to sheer to make a difference. After testing it at the counter, I walked around and was pleasantly surprised after a few minutes when I checked myself out and saw that I was absolutely glowing. I have been awake for almost 24 hours and looked absolutely horrible. This foundation completely turned my complexion around and made me look well rested and healthy. It works so well with touche eclat.

I've managed to spill quite an amount and couldnt seem to squeeze out just what I need. I guess that's the only problem I have with it so far.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2008 10:25:00 AM More reviews by chia021

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The texture of this foundation is absolutely sensational. It blends and smoothens out imperfections so well without having that heavy look. The effect is an airbrushed, breathable and translucent skin that withstands humidity I have it in 4.0, and I've finished this completely (a rare occurance). To overcome the shitty brush, I've removed it entirely and just used the tip. The problem with the brush is that it's so gimmicky. It's not user friendly at all and if you forget to twist to close, u end up having a whole load of wasted product into the cap! If YSL just puts the same foundation into a pump bottle, i'm sure alot more people will be repurchasing this. Because of this sheer packaging problem, I've moved on to other foundations... i.e. Estee Lauders, Shu Uemuras, Stila... but I still love this one so I will definately repurchase (only if they change their packaging).
Price for 40mL is decent... most other brands are in 30mLs

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2008 4:59:00 AM More reviews by frauschnitzel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My skin is crazily sensitive and very pale, so foundation is always a bit of a debacle. After a fairly long haul of interchanging Prescriptives Flawless Skin Foundation and MAC Studiofix, I decided I wanted a slightly less flatly dead-matte finish. I've been noticing (with some panic) some more obvious signs of early ageing, and wanted a nice creamy base that wouldn't cake into my lines and creases, whilst still maintaining a fairly polished and professional-looking finish. My skin's been disturbingly shiny as of late, so a medium coverage with very little luminescence was what I was after; matte but not cakey.

I'd be pre-warned accordingly by other reviewers that the packaging would be inconvenient and irritating, and it is. I like the theory, but it's inherently gimmicky and rather unhygenic - I don't want to think about how much bacteria festers in that brush. The brush leaves a streaky, blotchy finish, and wastes a lot of product - this'd be absolutely perfect if it weren't for the inconvenience of the packaging. It took a few tries for me to master the art of not squeezing out absurd amounts of the stuff; it's very easy to waste, and at this price, I'd really rather not have to buy another in a few months. Like a lot of other reviewers, I forgo using the brush entirely and blend it in with a sponge once I've squeezed out of a conservative-sized goop - it's a bit of a rushed procedure in squeezing out small amounts, shutting off the brush, blending, and squeezing some more, ad nauseum. It's rather messy and certainly doesn't resonate with the no-fuss ultra-quick idea that the brush gimmick conveys, but nonetheless, this stuff is one of the nicest foundations I've tried in a long time.

The colour seems quite a good match for my neutral pale still-slightly-darker-than-usual-from-summer-overexposure tone. I bought it off Strawberrynet, so it was a bit of a gamble; I chose #1, which I was a little scared was going to be too yellow, but it seems about right. The texture is lovely and creamy and feels quite hydrating and luxurious, and it seems to do a good job of evening out my complexion and making light of its current blotchiness. It's a nice middle ground between the heavy cakey base I'm used to and the au naturale glowing look I tend to avoid. I finish it off with a sheer tinted powder, and five hours in, it's still quite fresh and uneven - no dry flakiness, feathering or streaking. It is a fairly heavily fragranced product, as everything YSL tends to be, but not unpleasantly so, and sensitive as I am, I haven't reacted badly to it. The only concern I really have is how obscenely quickly I'm going to go through it.

I'd definitely buy this again, and would be even more chuffed if there was a brush-free version.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 1:59:00 AM More reviews by fort

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I arrived in Palm Springs for the Coachella Music Festival with no luggage (airlines misplaced it for three days), and so I had to scramble to find makeup and clothes at the Cabazon outlet nearby. Fortunately, my product radar led me to the Yves Saint Laurent store to try out the YSL makeup. I applied the Perfect Touch Radiant Brush Foundation and was immediately impressed by how easily it applied and how nice, smooth, and glowy the finish was. It made my jet lagged, dry face look radiantly fresh and flawless. The hardest part was finding the right color... there are many shades and they don't go in sequential order from light to dark. I have pale skin but had self-tanned for the festival, so I chose #5, which is lighter than my self-tan color but has a nice neutral/yellow tone that smooths my color out nicely.

Another bonus of this foundation is that you don't need powder-- the finish sets perfectly without it.

The real test of this foundation came at the Coachella festival, which goes on all day in 100 degree heat. Miraculously, my face looked as good at the end of the day as it did when I applied the makeup. I have never seen a foundation wear so well.

In short, I walked into YSL looking for a stopgap foundation but have since switched to this foundation for daily use. I've tried hundreds of foundations and this one has them all beat for finish, length of wear, and ease of application (as long as you cut off the stupid brush).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For reference, I am very pale but use a self-tanner weekly, so my skin shade varies very slightly over the course of the week.

SHADES: I had a bit of an issue finding the right shade. My pet peeve is when shops won't give out testers and instead insist on removing the make up I'm wearing and applying the foundation themselves - but alas, that always seems to be the case. The YSL counter in Boots was no exception. The SA swatched no.5 and no.6 on my cheek and decided 5 was better. When she applied it, it looked great, so I bought it. Then, when I put it on myself the next day, it was WAY too dark, it looked completely different from the shade I'd been matched to the day before. When I went to exchange it, I checked and the tester was in fact lighter than the stuff in my tube. When I pointed this out, the SA said 'well of course the tester will be a slightly different colour'. What?! Isn't the whole point of testers to find you the right colour?! I was totally bemused. STILL, though, she kept insisting that 5 was better for me and 4 would be too light - 4 is slightly lighter than I'd like, but 5 was making me look orange and I hate that. I had to be very persuasive to get the exchange, but finally managed. 4 is much better for me, feels a lot more natural. It is only slightly too light when I have just done my fake tan, but even then 5 was too dark, and buying both to mix them is just way too expensive for me to consider!

The confusion with the shades is, I think, because they're not just on a sliding scale from light to dark, but also differ in tone. So 3 is pinker than 4, which has a more beigey tone. On the plus side, this does mean that there are loads of shades to choose from and they're not all in one colour group. However, I would suggest that, if you buy this foundation, you get it from a shop that will exchange if the colour match is wrong, because it is very easy to buy the wrong shade.

APPLICATION: Well, straight away I will say that the brush is completely useless. It wastes far too much of the product and makes it difficult to blend. I pulled it off really easily (thanks to some earlier reviewers who had done this). Underneath there is a thin nozzle which is much more convenient. I sometimes use a foundation brush to apply this foundation, and it blends really well and looks subtle. Recently I have been using my fingers, which are just as effective.

FINISH: Gives a really nice, soft finish. My skin always feels quite soft and velvety when I wear this. I've found that, even before I apply powder over it, it is quite matte, and doesn't have that 'sticky' feeling a lot of foundations do before you apply powder. I really like this finish - I'd probably call it a kind of 'satin-matte' effect. This finish is what made me say 'yes' to repurchasing. It is absolutely lovely and makes you want to touch your face all day long!

COVERAGE: I find that the way you apply it greatly affects the coverage. I use my fingers to blend it on my acne-prone chin (gives better coverage for scars etc.), but I sometimes use a foundation brush for the rest of my face. I still need a bit of concealer on my chin, but the coverage is quite nice overall.

LASTING POWER: This lasts all day on me with a touch of powder brushed over it in the morning. There is one exception though. On my chin, which produces a lot of oil, it tends to sink into pores and separate. I use a mattifier underneath (Boots no.7), which makes it far better. I've concluded that it's not so good at controlling oil as my previous foundation, Clinique Superbalanced, but with the right products underneath this can be remedied. If you have oily skin in any area of your face, I would definitely recommend investing in a mattifying product.

VALUE: I find that I use quite a lot of this to cover my face, even though I don't pile it on. I need a good three or four squirts, which is more than I would apply when using another foundation. It is lovely, but considering how quickly I think I'll get through it (I'll update when it's finished to confirm how long the tube lasted) it isn't great value for money at £28.

VERDICT: This is definitely one of the best foundations I've tried. The shade I'm using is a pretty good match and, to my great excitement, not pinkish at all (something I've often found with foundations). Without the brush, the packaging is pretty good and looks nice and sleek. I adore the finish, it is the closest I've ever come to flawless skin and is matte without feeling heavy. I've given this 4 out of 5 because it doesn't cope that well with my oily areas and isn't wonderful value for money, but I have yet to find a foundation better than this one.

UPDATE: I've removed one lippy because the oil control got so bad that I had to switch back to Clinique Superbalanced. After a few months of wearing Perfect Touch, I found that it was sinking into my pores and cracking after only a couple of hours, and by the end of the day it had pretty much slid off my face - honestly, my skin is not that oily. I am prone to spots in the t-zone, and I do produce more oil there, but not enough to repel foundation. I have never had this happen before!

The reason I've only taken off one lippy is because I think my experience is down to skin type. I would say to oily and combination skinned girls that this foundation is just not long-lasting enough on oil-producing areas. It actually seemed to make my skin produce more oil over the period of a few months, and it just couldn't cope with the extra oil production at all - even with mattifier underneath.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Once again I've fallen into the "if I love one product, I'll love them all" syndrome. I love Touche Eclat. I don't love this foundation. It pours out of that brush (which isn't much of a brush) and I end up losing half of the application. And the color (#1) is really not so great. It does give substantial coverage if that is what you are looking for but plenty of foundations will work for less $$$.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 3:42:00 PM More reviews by machrina

to be honest I first bought this a year ago in no.1 [im very very pale] and I really liked the texture the cover[medium] even the brush which gave me a flawless look which lasted all day, but something was not right it looked weird so I stoped using it. a month ago they gave it to me as present in no.4 and I thought lets give it a try and it was perfect, although it looked a bit dark, in my face and with loose powder it was perfect. no.1 is really really white , no.2 is a bit yellow , no.3 is pale but pink. so think twice before buying. the right shade is really important.