Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

3.2

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (10%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2.8%), Oxybenzone (6%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6 Naphthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Trideceth 6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, ppd 9

on 4/25/2009 8:31:00 AM

When it said dry-touch, i expected something with a powdery finish (which a lot of japanese sunscreens give), this didn't have a 'dry-touch' but it was not oily/shiny either. I like the scent of this sunscreen and it does not break me out. It doesn't make me any oilier but it doesn't control oil production, which i really need since my face becomes an oil slick in a very short amount of time. I have no problems wearing this under my makeup, a plus for me since i wear makeup nearly everyday. I would without a doubt buy this again when i finish my current tube. This product really surprised me since my skin doesn't normally like neutrogena. =)

on 4/23/2009 4:02:00 PM

I bought this sunscreen due to the good reviews here, so I am sad to say this sunscreen is not compatible w/my skin.
I didn't dare put this on my face, but I did put it on my neck and chest for a few days. Two big zits popped up w/in a day or two..one on my chest by my shoulder (I never get zits on my chest) and one on my back close to my neck. Both are places where I had the sunscreen on ;( So now I am on the search.....again. sigh

on 4/11/2009 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It smells like a basic moisturizer and it's not dry to the touch... I don't know where they get that idea. I have a bottle of the 70 and bought two purse sized tubes of 55 hoping the lower spf meant they would be actually dry. No, it's the same thing... It is lighter than the 70, which is like a face lotion/cream for me. I have dry skin, and these do make my skin soft but I prefer something that won't give shine to my skin or make it oily in a few hours. I will still use it, because it's better than wrinkles caused by sun damage in 20 years. After the 55 sinks it, it's soft to the touch but not matte.

on 4/10/2009 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is my favourite sunblock. I have pretty dry skin, and I still feel that most sunblocks leave my face looking like an oil slick. This one doesn't, and truly dries so that it's dry to the touch, like it claims.

I love that it has SPF 55, too, when all the other sunblocks seem to be around the SPF 30 range.

I like the scent of this, as well. It's nice and light, and not at all overpowering like some sunblocks can get.

on 4/6/2009 2:46:00 PM

Absolutely hate this nasty stuff. It is not "dry" at all, felt heavy on my face, and left it extremely greasy too. YUCK! All day long I could feel it on my face and SMELL it too! It has a strong fragrance/sunblock smell that I can't stand. Bleh. Skip it.

on 4/6/2009 2:29:00 PM

I can't believe how this sunblock got some bad reviews! This is my HG sunblock for the face. For one, it really is ultra-dry and weightless. Once it is soaked in, you can't feel it! It also mattifies your skin and seems to help your makeup stay on better. I've also noticed that I'm less shiny through out the day. It's perfect, I live in hot and humid conditions all year round, and I use this everyday without any breakouts or reactions. My Mom uses this as well and she is very sensitive and will usually have an allergic reaction to things. But with this, no reactions. We love it!

on 4/6/2009 11:01:00 AM

This clogs my pores like crazy and feels really thick and heavy. I even got some pimples on the back of my neck and upper back where I had applied it, and I *never* break out there.

I didn't get a sunburn while I was wearing it, though... but I was just doing yard work in the late afternoon for a couple of hours, so I don't know how it would hold up to a day on the beach or something like that.

on 3/27/2009 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG facial sunscreen. I have purchased it for many years now, and even though I've tried other brands and other Neutrogena products, this is the one I always come back to. I have some hyperpigmentation on my face and am trying to prevent further spots, thus my desire for a high SPF product. I wear it daily no matter what the weather is .

Reasons why I love it:
It contains no titanium dioxide to give that dreaded white pasty look;
it is slightly mattifying, not shiny;
it doesn't pill up on the skin like the Neutrogena Age Shield 45 product does;
it doesn't cause break outs;
it is a reasonable price;
the tube stands up on its cap so the product is always ready to dispense;
it doesn't have a strong smell to bother my nose or eyes;
my foundation applies nicely on top of it whether I use a foundation brush, sponge or my fingers;
it doesn't sting my sensitive skin.

There are nine reasons why I love it. Maybe you'll like it, too!

on 3/16/2009 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this because it claims to be ultra sheer and have a dry touch. I have oily, acne-prone skin, as well as being very sensitive and prone to breakouts and irritation. I also work outdoors in all kinds of weather, so a good sweat and humidity proof sunscreen that WON'T irritate my skin is a must. I have yet to find the perfect product!

I find that this stings my eyes as soon as I put it on. It does not feel sheer or dry on my skin at all. It made my face look very oily. It feels very greasy...as though I've coated my face in Vaseline. I've tried wearing makeup over it and the resulting look is awful - cakey, shiny, and it rubs off.

I didn't think this had great sun protection at all. Because it didn't wear well and seemed to rub off, after a few hours in the sun, I got sunburned anyway. I had horrible, almost instant breakouts after using it.

I keep this stashed at work as a last resort. I'd use it on my arms, legs and hands if I forget my other sunscreen, but that's about it. I'd never use it on my face again.

on 2/27/2009 6:52:00 PM

My dermatologist recommended this to me as I have fair skin and cancer runs in my family. Before trying this I hated wearing sunscreen on my face because it would feel super greasy, make my makeup application impossible and clog more pores. For a product with such a high SPF it goes on well and absorbs quickly. I've experienced no problems while using this and it only marginally interferes with my makeup. My dermatologist suggested that I use the sunscreen before applying any other products since the first thing that you apply absorbs the best, but I like to put on moisturizer first because I have such dry skin. I put my primer and foundation on over the sunscreen.

The scent isn't horrible like most sunscreens and is acceptable for use all year round. Sadly, I'm forgetful and don't wear this in the winter (even though I'm in Seattle, you can still get sun damage through clouds). But in the summer, it keeps me from burning and hopefully prevents premature signs of aging.

On days when I know I'm going to be outside in the sun for a long period of time (at the beach, hiking, etc) I opt for the SPF 70 version, which doesn't feel as light and doesn't absorb as well, but protects my skin longer.