April 21, 2014 | 1818 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2009 2:29:00 PM More reviews by nyla9711

I can't believe how this sunblock got some bad reviews! This is my HG sunblock for the face. For one, it really is ultra-dry and weightless. Once it is soaked in, you can't feel it! It also mattifies your skin and seems to help your makeup stay on better. I've also noticed that I'm less shiny through out the day. It's perfect, I live in hot and humid conditions all year round, and I use this everyday without any breakouts or reactions. My Mom uses this as well and she is very sensitive and will usually have an allergic reaction to things. But with this, no reactions. We love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/6/2009 11:01:00 AM More reviews by bebo1984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This clogs my pores like crazy and feels really thick and heavy. I even got some pimples on the back of my neck and upper back where I had applied it, and I *never* break out there.

I didn't get a sunburn while I was wearing it, though... but I was just doing yard work in the late afternoon for a couple of hours, so I don't know how it would hold up to a day on the beach or something like that.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2009 11:48:00 AM More reviews by DinaC

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my HG facial sunscreen. I have purchased it for many years now, and even though I've tried other brands and other Neutrogena products, this is the one I always come back to. I have some hyperpigmentation on my face and am trying to prevent further spots, thus my desire for a high SPF product. I wear it daily no matter what the weather is .

Reasons why I love it:
It contains no titanium dioxide to give that dreaded white pasty look;
it is slightly mattifying, not shiny;
it doesn't pill up on the skin like the Neutrogena Age Shield 45 product does;
it doesn't cause break outs;
it is a reasonable price;
the tube stands up on its cap so the product is always ready to dispense;
it doesn't have a strong smell to bother my nose or eyes;
my foundation applies nicely on top of it whether I use a foundation brush, sponge or my fingers;
it doesn't sting my sensitive skin.

There are nine reasons why I love it. Maybe you'll like it, too!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2009 5:01:00 PM More reviews by jsATC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because it claims to be ultra sheer and have a dry touch. I have oily, acne-prone skin, as well as being very sensitive and prone to breakouts and irritation. I also work outdoors in all kinds of weather, so a good sweat and humidity proof sunscreen that WON'T irritate my skin is a must. I have yet to find the perfect product!

I find that this stings my eyes as soon as I put it on. It does not feel sheer or dry on my skin at all. It made my face look very oily. It feels very greasy...as though I've coated my face in Vaseline. I've tried wearing makeup over it and the resulting look is awful - cakey, shiny, and it rubs off.

I didn't think this had great sun protection at all. Because it didn't wear well and seemed to rub off, after a few hours in the sun, I got sunburned anyway. I had horrible, almost instant breakouts after using it.

I keep this stashed at work as a last resort. I'd use it on my arms, legs and hands if I forget my other sunscreen, but that's about it. I'd never use it on my face again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2009 6:52:00 PM More reviews by micropipette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My dermatologist recommended this to me as I have fair skin and cancer runs in my family. Before trying this I hated wearing sunscreen on my face because it would feel super greasy, make my makeup application impossible and clog more pores. For a product with such a high SPF it goes on well and absorbs quickly. I've experienced no problems while using this and it only marginally interferes with my makeup. My dermatologist suggested that I use the sunscreen before applying any other products since the first thing that you apply absorbs the best, but I like to put on moisturizer first because I have such dry skin. I put my primer and foundation on over the sunscreen.

The scent isn't horrible like most sunscreens and is acceptable for use all year round. Sadly, I'm forgetful and don't wear this in the winter (even though I'm in Seattle, you can still get sun damage through clouds). But in the summer, it keeps me from burning and hopefully prevents premature signs of aging.

On days when I know I'm going to be outside in the sun for a long period of time (at the beach, hiking, etc) I opt for the SPF 70 version, which doesn't feel as light and doesn't absorb as well, but protects my skin longer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2009 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Flippit

I've been looking for a new sunscreen now that my beloved hg LRP Dermo-Peds spray is discontinued. I'm glad I decided to give this Neutrogena a try despite the ratings here. I find this to be pretty matte, or at least no shinier than any other SS I've tried. It does look a bit greasy for a few minutes after application, but it quickly fades. The price compared to the Euro products I've been using is also very fair. On the plus side, it has not so far irritated or broken out my very sensitive acne-prone combo skin. On the down side, there is a light but detectable perfumey-cucumbery sort of fragrance. I wish it were completely unscented. It's also rather thick and can be a chore to blend in. Also, be careful not to get it in your hairline if you have dark hair like me -- I looked like I had dandruff at the temples all day once. However, I will probably buy this again unless something better comes along.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2009 6:15:00 AM More reviews by castell

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So far so good with this sunscreen. I think the 'dry touch' helps my concealer (Laura Mercier, a lot of blending) stay in place.

I'm wearing Clinique Corrector under it. Usually 2 products plus foundation on my face causes breakouts, but nothing yet!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2009 12:37:00 AM More reviews by glossgal_01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this one for 2yrs and really like it! I use this in the warmer months since it leaves me with a nice matte finish and keeps my makeup looking fresh all day. I detect NO greasy feeling at all!

It's an easy-to-use standup tube so it squirts out really easy. I have really sensitive skin where I react to alot of regular sunscreens but this one is perfect! No breakouts, makeup looks good, great protection and runs about $15. I also love the minis I got from my derm since they fit in the makeup bag perfectly! Too bad they didn't sell the minis too! They're cute!

Will definitly re-purchase this spring!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 6:48:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this product for over half a year now and just finished one bottle of this stuff. It really is dry-touch as it says and it really gives my complexion a matte feel. Sometimes when I'm going at night I put this on - even though there's no sun - because it makes my skin look nice! It brightens up my complexion as well as protecting it. I never really was one of those types to put on sunscreen every morning because I thought it would make me feel greasy and would block my pores - this product totally 360'd my views on that.

My only concern with this is that it made my cheeks flake and redden on my 3rd month of using it - maybe it was because it was the summer heat or something because my skin is absolutedly compatible with it now. I must admit its not very moisturizing, but as long as you intensely moisturize the night before than it should be fine. Also, I would really prefer if it was a flippy cap instead of a screw on cap - it would really help me save some time in the morning.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2009 7:29:00 AM More reviews by quinieleong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this sunblock is often recommended because it offers great protection.

like most sunblocks, it is OILY and STICKY.
and it's very difficult to rub it in and the sunblock will flake off.

however, this does not occur if applied on the body. just don't use it as a facial sunscreen and you'll be fine.

but i'm sure there are better sunscreens for body.