April 18, 2014 | 942 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by debra110

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I think it is safe to say that winter is over in Boston. As much as I love my liquid and cream foundations, it's time for something lighter. I admit that for years I have passionately hated mineral powder foundations. I have tried every brand imaginable from BE to Laura Mercier and every other drug store and high end mineral powder that's out there. I'd either end up looking cakey or patchy or sallow.
Until now.
I was first amazed to find the array of colors they offer. And, if that's not enough, you can mix your own combo. Imagine my delight! I don't have to buy several containers to mix to get the right shade. I did get a few samples first, and there I found a formula that was smooth, silky, and that stays on and in place all day. It feels lovely on my skin, and keeps my face looking young and fresh, not old and powdery. So of course when I found the perfect shade I was delighted.
I recommend this highly. I really believe there is no better mineral foundation makeup on the market.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 7:13:00 PM More reviews by ECanitano

I have used this for the past 3 years and love it! The quality is outstanding and I never have a break out. The customer service is outstanding at Alima and highly recommend their product. They will allow you to order small trial sizes so you can the color that is best suited for your skin. They always send free trial sizes in your order which gives you an opportunity to try their other products!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by mirawyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was drawn to mineral makeup as a possible solution to my very sensitive skin, which only got worse when I developed acne rosacea.

Like most women, my first exposure to mineral makeup was Bare Minerals. It was close enough to convince me I was on the right track, but not quite right. After trying a few other brands, I found Alima Pure. And it was the answer–my holy grail foundation.

Alima's Satin Matte Foundation feels great on my skin, and there's not much scent to it. Best of all, the color selection is excellent! My skin is very, very fair: Neutral 0, described as "palest neutral." I use it, with some Neutral 1 from my initial purchase of samples as an occasional concealer. It works well across the seasons, too, whether my skin is a bit drier or oilier.

It's also very easy to apply, and doesn't require a lot of buffing like many other brands. The packaging has a quality feel to it but is environmentally sound. It's minimal–a recyclable plastic jar with a logo on the lid, slipped inside a recycled-paperboard sleeve with well-designed graphics.

This makeup is all I use now!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by renji

I purchased a huge amount of samples from this company and I've been using them for about a week now.
The matte finish is excellent for me and my bumpy skin as it doesn't draw any unnecessary light to my breakouts - unlike most mineral foundations with a shimmer in them.

I use the primer powder first (SO IN LOVE) and set the foundation with the finishing powder, which I'm also in love with. Unlike BE, this foundation stays matte and doesn't turn oily and shift around my face by the end of the day. After a 9 hour day at work, I look at my face and everything is exactly where I left it; unlike the old days when I would find foundation bunched up beside my nose and in greasy patches where I've tried to cover a blemish.

Not sure how it will fair after a touch up yet as I haven't needed to so far! Although because it is so natural looking, I find that I let some blemishes still show through since there's truly no way of hiding them completely. It doesn't look too bad though since the makeup just gives me a healthy more even complexion.

One criticism I have is the shades are really quite pale, and that's saying something since I'm stark white myself. I'm definitely going to purchase more than one and mix my own colours.
Also very impressed with the satin blushes and eyeliners. So easy to use!
(only rated 1 for packaging quality as I am yet to buy any full size products)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2010 11:49:00 AM More reviews by dancar3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Updated review: I no longer use this foundation. I found after awhile it was drying out my skin, sinking into my pores, and just looking too powdery for me. Perhaps my skin is changing now that I'm in my mid-40's but I'm using liquid these days.

So far I am loving this foundation! I have tried mineral make from a few other companies (like Lumiere and can't remember the rest since it's been awhile) and just was not that happy with them. Either they broke me out, not enough coverage, a little too shiney, etc.... Not that I'm putting down the other brands, it's just that it has not worked for me. With this foundation, it covers really well but does not look heavy or chaulky....it looks like my skin only almost perfect! I have somewhat oily skin (around t-zone) and noticeable pores. With this foundation, I apply it with a brush and spritzed a few times and after a few minutes, it just blends in my skin and the pores look smaller and less noticeable. If I could, I would give it 4 1/2 stars since it is hard for me to say anything is perfect. The customer service is outstanding! They shipped out fast, nicely packaged, and with a couple of samples.......does not much better than this!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2010 7:50:00 PM More reviews by eagleandthecrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I want to love this product so much! I love the packaging, customer service and above all, I love the way that it looks on my face... radiant, flawless and even.

Heres the caveat: IT MAKES MY SKIN SO ITCHY after a couple of hours. Now, this is super weird because I don't have this reaction to Bare Minerals. Alima claims that its for those who can't wear BE because of the Bismuth (which can make ones skin itchy...) What the heck could be irritating my face like this?! Oooo my chin is so itchy! It just doesn't make any sense!

::sigh::

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by pinkkittyd

HG foundation for sure! I have tried so many over the years and was even more desperate to try and find a really decent MMU. Tried a wide variety of "natural" and department store brands, always came up cakey, orange or irritated. Tried Alima thanks to MUA reviews and OH MY GOODNESS!
For the first time EVER have coverage, correct color and no irritation or breakouts! It does go on a tad powdery but within a short amount of time is creamy and dreamy! Definitely give it a try :0) Customer service is bar none too!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 5:09:00 PM More reviews by HelenaS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been wearing this product in Chiffon (which is now called Neutral 1) for 3 years now. And I haven't strayed once to another foundation until last week, when I tried MAC Skinfinish Natural just to see if I could find a mineral-based foundation in a compact form that worked. I hate loose powder! I liked the MAC, but when I go back and forth between the 2 brands I like Alima better. For one thing, it is a better color match. For another, it goes on more lightly and the coverage is easier to build without getting cakey. And finally, Alima is a more pure product with fewer ingredients. I have some mild rosacea and I don't need anything clogging my pores or causing irritation. I think the MAC was causing a bit of irritation, which could have been from the bismuth.

Anyway, this is the best foundation I have ever used. I dust it on dry with a kabuki brush and add layers where needed. I do not have terribly oily skin, so it lasts pretty well on me throughout the day. In the summertime, I use Shiseido SPF55 which also acts as a primer, and that makes any makeup wear like iron, so no troubles there through the hot summer months. My Oil of Olay Complete, which I wear in winter, seems a bit more finicky about what goes on top of it, though. I can wear the Alima with it but I notice there is a bit more sheen and pore-exaggeration with the OoO. I will probably switch to a different moisturizer with SPF this winter for that reason.

The other great thing about Alima is the customer service and the value of this product. A full-sized container is $20, but it lasts FOREVER. I have had the same container for 3 years and it is only half-gone, and I use it daily!

I have recently ordered samples of the Alima Satin Finishing Powder and the Color Corrector Powder to help cover some more of my redness. The foundation alone does a great job when the rosacea is at bay, but to get flawless skin I need a little something extra to cut the redness on my cheeks. So I am going to try those products next. Samples are very cheap so it's easy to try different things from Alima.

All in all, an amazing product. When you consider that I am 43 and have tried dozens of foundations throughout my lifetime, and have used only Alima for the past 3 years, that really says something. I don't think I've ever stuck to one product that long before. That's how well it works!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by marikah

Made my skin look cakey. T-zone became oily and shiny after an hour even with setting powder.
Too bad Warm 2 was a perfect match for my fair asian skin... Olive 1 was a little too dark and yellow. Won't buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 4:37:00 PM More reviews by dachinkyloser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love alima pure!
They have a wonderful number of shades available. I ordered several sample sizes of foundation, eyeliner, and bronzer.

Alima's customer service is amazing! I decided to add a foundation sample to my order and the customer service rep added the full size sample for free!
The packaging is cute and I have since ordered more samples. So far I have plenty of sample foundation left.
I don't think I'll ever splurge and buy the full size.

I use Warm 1 and Warm 2 mixed together. It gives me nice coverage and looks great after it has settled in. I even tried it as a spot treatment on a couple PMS pimples and the next morning they were smaller and less red!!