Alima Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

Not tested on animals

INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) Mica (CI 77019). May contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 7/22/2010 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really wanted to join the others in liking this product but it was pretty terrible for my oily skin. It actually made it worse. A greasy mess more like it. I LOVE the alima concealer, but the foundation didn't work for me at all. The coverage is great and the look right after application is amazing, thus 2 lippes. But after that, gosh no. Oil, melting, etc etc. I even used the Alima primer and that still did not help. It may also have something to do with the finishing powder, I found I was more oily with the combination of the primer, foundation and finishing powder then I was with just the primer and foundation. I'll stick to my Laura Mercier MMU.

on 7/13/2010 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is by far the best mineral makeup I have tried. I received my order today and tried it immediately. My DH said it looks very natural and makes my skin look better. I'm fairly oily and no other mmu has stayed put after a long day, but this. I love how natural it looks, how it doesn't disappear after a couple hours, and how it controls oil. It is matte without being too matte. It's matte but with a velvety creamy finish. Love this stuff!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I heard about this here on MUA (thanks everyone!) and I have to agree... this stuff is amazing! I used their color selection guide and was able to narrow down to 2 possibilities and ordered samples. I got it right the first try-- Beige 3 is a perfect match. I have been using my sample for the past 3 weeks and I still have half of it left (you don't need much). I prefer to mix this with moisturizer to make my own tinted moisturizer but it also looks good using it the normal way. It looks like my skin, only 100 times better. Best of all, no breakouts! Customer service is great as well. It came 2 days after I ordered it and they included 3 extra samples. I highly suggest you try this line. I will be ordering from them again in the near future.

on 7/10/2010 5:18:00 PM

This is going to be a very long, detailed review...here we go :)

MY SKIN: I have oily combination skin, with many acne scars and sunspots. I don't have a problem with pores or wrinkles, so I can't speak to that. I also sweat very easily, so my T-Zone is the first to shine by early afternoon. I am a former Bare Escentuals wearer, but I didn't like how it didn't give me much coverage and never lasted for more than 3 hours.

HOW I ORDERED: I used the "Ask the Artist" service provided on the website. There, you fill out a form and list the foundations of different lines that have matched you before. I strongly recommend first time Alima users to do this. Within 24 hours I was emailed with four different colors that I should try. You can narrow this down further by reading their "Choosing a color" guide also on their website. With that, I ordered Beige 4-6 as samples. Cost me $6.50 with shipping. Received my order well packaged within 5 days. They had also included free samples - two blushes and an eyeshadow specifically selected to match the samples I had ordered. Not only that, there was a handwritten "Thank you, Elaine!" written on the back of my receipt (a very nice touch :)). I was delighted!

APPLICATION: I cleansed my face with my Purpose Gentle Cleanser and followed with Eucerin SPF 30 Everyday Moisturizer (SPF moisturizer is a MUST, especially because the foundation does not have a specific SPF). I used an old BE lid and tapped out some of the foundation unto it. I then used my Sephora Professional Platinum Foundation Brush #47 (originally used for my MUFE HD). There are instructions on the Alima website for application, which I followed. I then tried out the blush and eyshadow, also using the website's application instructions. I have a few areas of redness and some dark scars, so I dipped my old BE concealer brush into the foundation and patted it on. I did not use foundation primer, only the Eucerin moisturizer.

RESULT: One word. Perfect. Coverage was medium, but I could've built it up if I wanted to. The foundation definitely doubles as a concealer. My skin looked gorgeous and the color matched beautifully. I couldn't stop looking at my face! I could hardly feel it on my skin. Although it is matte, it didn't make me look chalky or dead. And the blush - BEAUTIFUL! I looked so bronzy and sunkissed. My skin still looked like my skin...just better. It didn't look like I was wearing foundation, yet the spots and scars that made me uncomfortable seemed buffed away.

WEAR: The foundation wore beautifully. I went to an outdoor mall for a few hours in 80 degree weather, and as I said before, I sweat easily. The foundation itself controlled the oil nicely. No reaction or itching throughout the day. When I came home (after a few more errands, totaling 6 hours), my foundation looked exactly the way it did when I left. Even expensive brands haven't been able to last that long. Keep in mind this is the foundation only - no primer or finishing powder. Also, the foundation didn't oxidize and make me orange.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This could very well be the end of the road as far as my search for mineral foundation goes :). I am immensly pleased. Alima is probably one of the most honest, customer friendly cosmetics lines in the business. I'm amazed that more people don't know about them. Their prices are very reasonable ($20 for a full size foundation, $1.50 for very generous samples that will last you 5-10 applications). They actually hold true to their philosophy - their makeup is about as pure as it gets (only FOUR ingredients in their foundation - amazing!!). Plus, they are very eco-friendly with decomposable packaging and a jar return program. If that wasn't great enough, they use profits from some of their collections to fund various charitable organizations. And they are cruelty free - yay!

I would recommend this to anyone. In fact, I'm taking the makeup right to my parent's house tomorrown and letting my mom have a go at it. I hope she likes it as much as I do :)

on 7/7/2010 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have been wearing this foundation in Cool 3 for about a month, so I think I'm able to write an honest review. This MMU is great for oily skin- it dies not melt or rub off, which is my biggest problem with foundations. The color selection is great, and Cool 2 is perfect for me in the winter months. I like that this feels light on, and my skin can breath while wearing this. This is the best mineral makeup I have ever used and will continue to purchase this! My only problem is that the cap of my foundation does not screw on all the way; the tracks don't seem to line up properly.

on 6/27/2010 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is the very best mineral foundation I've used. I started with samples and was able to find the best match. I tried it because of the positive reviews. Thank you makeup alley.

on 6/19/2010 3:38:00 PM

Well, when Prescriptives went under, I had to take on the task of finding a NEW perfect foundation. Not easy for neutral PPP, since most cosmetic lines don't make a shade light enough to match my skin tone, and if there is one light enough, it's usually pink-based (which looks horrible on me). I decided to try Alima since I couldn't find a liquid foundation that matched me as well as Prescriptives virtual skin in real ecru. Alima's color selection is fantastic and they also offer custom blended foundation. The samples are cheap enough that you can order several to find your match.

The formula is great. A little bit goes a long way. Apply a teeny bit, and you'll have sheer coverage (my freckles will show through), but it's more than enough to even out your skin tone, cover redness, etc. It's buildable for more coverage if you'd like. I wear neutral 1, which actually isn't the lightest shade available! I use the satin matte foundation with Alima's finishing powder and the finish is soft, every so slightly glowy, but definitely not anywhere near dewy. The trick is to apply to well moisturized skin (though this foundation isn't drying at all), but wait at least 10 minutes after applying your moisturizer/sunscreen. Once this newbie became proficient at mineral makeup application, I've NEVER had this look cakey.

As stated before, a little bit goes a long way...so at $20 a jar, I can easily see this product lasting a year even with daily application. My one complaint is that the filter (is that what you call it?) through which you're supposed to shake out the product doesn't work too well. I'm not sure if the holes are too small or if the powder clumps a bit and just doesn't want to come out. I just removed it and dip my brush directly into the powder and shake off the excess.

on 6/11/2010 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Really wanted to love the foundation, but it looked too dry and exaggerated my pores. I have normal/slightly dry skin- this made me look much older! I tried mixing it with water, lotion, sunscreen, you name it....but nothing helped. So sad, still on the quest for the perfect natural looking mineral makeup.

on 5/22/2010 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Okay, I think it is safe to say that winter is over in Boston. As much as I love my liquid and cream foundations, it's time for something lighter. I admit that for years I have passionately hated mineral powder foundations. I have tried every brand imaginable from BE to Laura Mercier and every other drug store and high end mineral powder that's out there. I'd either end up looking cakey or patchy or sallow.
Until now.
I was first amazed to find the array of colors they offer. And, if that's not enough, you can mix your own combo. Imagine my delight! I don't have to buy several containers to mix to get the right shade. I did get a few samples first, and there I found a formula that was smooth, silky, and that stays on and in place all day. It feels lovely on my skin, and keeps my face looking young and fresh, not old and powdery. So of course when I found the perfect shade I was delighted.
I recommend this highly. I really believe there is no better mineral foundation makeup on the market.

on 5/10/2010 7:13:00 PM

I have used this for the past 3 years and love it! The quality is outstanding and I never have a break out. The customer service is outstanding at Alima and highly recommend their product. They will allow you to order small trial sizes so you can the color that is best suited for your skin. They always send free trial sizes in your order which gives you an opportunity to try their other products!