October 1, 2014 | 1224 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2010 11:11:00 AM More reviews by jse23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been wearing this foundation in Cool 3 for about a month, so I think I'm able to write an honest review. This MMU is great for oily skin- it dies not melt or rub off, which is my biggest problem with foundations. The color selection is great, and Cool 2 is perfect for me in the winter months. I like that this feels light on, and my skin can breath while wearing this. This is the best mineral makeup I have ever used and will continue to purchase this! My only problem is that the cap of my foundation does not screw on all the way; the tracks don't seem to line up properly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 3:18:00 PM More reviews by lulu08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the very best mineral foundation I've used. I started with samples and was able to find the best match. I tried it because of the positive reviews. Thank you makeup alley.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by BrckHous2002

Well, when Prescriptives went under, I had to take on the task of finding a NEW perfect foundation. Not easy for neutral PPP, since most cosmetic lines don't make a shade light enough to match my skin tone, and if there is one light enough, it's usually pink-based (which looks horrible on me). I decided to try Alima since I couldn't find a liquid foundation that matched me as well as Prescriptives virtual skin in real ecru. Alima's color selection is fantastic and they also offer custom blended foundation. The samples are cheap enough that you can order several to find your match.

The formula is great. A little bit goes a long way. Apply a teeny bit, and you'll have sheer coverage (my freckles will show through), but it's more than enough to even out your skin tone, cover redness, etc. It's buildable for more coverage if you'd like. I wear neutral 1, which actually isn't the lightest shade available! I use the satin matte foundation with Alima's finishing powder and the finish is soft, every so slightly glowy, but definitely not anywhere near dewy. The trick is to apply to well moisturized skin (though this foundation isn't drying at all), but wait at least 10 minutes after applying your moisturizer/sunscreen. Once this newbie became proficient at mineral makeup application, I've NEVER had this look cakey.

As stated before, a little bit goes a long way...so at $20 a jar, I can easily see this product lasting a year even with daily application. My one complaint is that the filter (is that what you call it?) through which you're supposed to shake out the product doesn't work too well. I'm not sure if the holes are too small or if the powder clumps a bit and just doesn't want to come out. I just removed it and dip my brush directly into the powder and shake off the excess.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2010 10:55:00 PM More reviews by jo2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Really wanted to love the foundation, but it looked too dry and exaggerated my pores. I have normal/slightly dry skin- this made me look much older! I tried mixing it with water, lotion, sunscreen, you name it....but nothing helped. So sad, still on the quest for the perfect natural looking mineral makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by debra110

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I think it is safe to say that winter is over in Boston. As much as I love my liquid and cream foundations, it's time for something lighter. I admit that for years I have passionately hated mineral powder foundations. I have tried every brand imaginable from BE to Laura Mercier and every other drug store and high end mineral powder that's out there. I'd either end up looking cakey or patchy or sallow.
Until now.
I was first amazed to find the array of colors they offer. And, if that's not enough, you can mix your own combo. Imagine my delight! I don't have to buy several containers to mix to get the right shade. I did get a few samples first, and there I found a formula that was smooth, silky, and that stays on and in place all day. It feels lovely on my skin, and keeps my face looking young and fresh, not old and powdery. So of course when I found the perfect shade I was delighted.
I recommend this highly. I really believe there is no better mineral foundation makeup on the market.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 7:13:00 PM More reviews by ECanitano

I have used this for the past 3 years and love it! The quality is outstanding and I never have a break out. The customer service is outstanding at Alima and highly recommend their product. They will allow you to order small trial sizes so you can the color that is best suited for your skin. They always send free trial sizes in your order which gives you an opportunity to try their other products!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by mirawyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was drawn to mineral makeup as a possible solution to my very sensitive skin, which only got worse when I developed acne rosacea.

Like most women, my first exposure to mineral makeup was Bare Minerals. It was close enough to convince me I was on the right track, but not quite right. After trying a few other brands, I found Alima Pure. And it was the answer–my holy grail foundation.

Alima's Satin Matte Foundation feels great on my skin, and there's not much scent to it. Best of all, the color selection is excellent! My skin is very, very fair: Neutral 0, described as "palest neutral." I use it, with some Neutral 1 from my initial purchase of samples as an occasional concealer. It works well across the seasons, too, whether my skin is a bit drier or oilier.

It's also very easy to apply, and doesn't require a lot of buffing like many other brands. The packaging has a quality feel to it but is environmentally sound. It's minimal–a recyclable plastic jar with a logo on the lid, slipped inside a recycled-paperboard sleeve with well-designed graphics.

This makeup is all I use now!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by renji

I purchased a huge amount of samples from this company and I've been using them for about a week now.
The matte finish is excellent for me and my bumpy skin as it doesn't draw any unnecessary light to my breakouts - unlike most mineral foundations with a shimmer in them.

I use the primer powder first (SO IN LOVE) and set the foundation with the finishing powder, which I'm also in love with. Unlike BE, this foundation stays matte and doesn't turn oily and shift around my face by the end of the day. After a 9 hour day at work, I look at my face and everything is exactly where I left it; unlike the old days when I would find foundation bunched up beside my nose and in greasy patches where I've tried to cover a blemish.

Not sure how it will fair after a touch up yet as I haven't needed to so far! Although because it is so natural looking, I find that I let some blemishes still show through since there's truly no way of hiding them completely. It doesn't look too bad though since the makeup just gives me a healthy more even complexion.

One criticism I have is the shades are really quite pale, and that's saying something since I'm stark white myself. I'm definitely going to purchase more than one and mix my own colours.
Also very impressed with the satin blushes and eyeliners. So easy to use!
(only rated 1 for packaging quality as I am yet to buy any full size products)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/30/2010 11:49:00 AM More reviews by dancar3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Updated review: I no longer use this foundation. I found after awhile it was drying out my skin, sinking into my pores, and just looking too powdery for me. Perhaps my skin is changing now that I'm in my mid-40's but I'm using liquid these days.

So far I am loving this foundation! I have tried mineral make from a few other companies (like Lumiere and can't remember the rest since it's been awhile) and just was not that happy with them. Either they broke me out, not enough coverage, a little too shiney, etc.... Not that I'm putting down the other brands, it's just that it has not worked for me. With this foundation, it covers really well but does not look heavy or chaulky....it looks like my skin only almost perfect! I have somewhat oily skin (around t-zone) and noticeable pores. With this foundation, I apply it with a brush and spritzed a few times and after a few minutes, it just blends in my skin and the pores look smaller and less noticeable. If I could, I would give it 4 1/2 stars since it is hard for me to say anything is perfect. The customer service is outstanding! They shipped out fast, nicely packaged, and with a couple of samples.......does not much better than this!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2010 7:50:00 PM More reviews by eagleandthecrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I want to love this product so much! I love the packaging, customer service and above all, I love the way that it looks on my face... radiant, flawless and even.

Heres the caveat: IT MAKES MY SKIN SO ITCHY after a couple of hours. Now, this is super weird because I don't have this reaction to Bare Minerals. Alima claims that its for those who can't wear BE because of the Bismuth (which can make ones skin itchy...) What the heck could be irritating my face like this?! Oooo my chin is so itchy! It just doesn't make any sense!

::sigh::