During certain times of the year, I get eczema only on my hands (thank goodness). My dermatologist gave me a bunch of samples of this. This did absoloutley nothing to moisturize my skin. The consistency was way too thin for it to even moisturize my hands. It was watery & sticky. I didn't actually pay for this, so I don't really know how much this costs. But, any price would be too much to pay for this. The quality of this is terrible. I will never buy this. There are many way better options out there, & cheaper ones I'm sure. If you really want a good moisturizing lotion, get curel dry & itch defense or Aveeno lotions.
Ok, it is now safe for me to say this is the best moisturizer I have ever used. I was waiting to write a review until I was sure that I loved it as much as I thought I did in the beginning, and now I AM SURE. I have bad acne, very persistent, I get clogged pores as well as those terrible cystic pimples all around my jaw/chin.
I was using Dan Kern's acne.org regimen, and the BP was drying out my skin horrendously, the moisturizer in the regimen kit just wasn't enough to combat it, so I went on a search for something that could help. First, I went back to basics, thinking that my miracle may lie in one of those cheap, classic products like Avon's Nurtura or Pond's moisturizer that many women rave about. Both of those = terrible, terrible mistake for this girl's skin!!! Then I decided maybe natural was the way to go. I began using pure organic jojoba oil and then tried organic grapeseed oil. These were ok, but still left me with plenty of flakiness, plus were pretty difficult to deal with in the mornings because they take forever to sink in so you have to wait and wait to put on makeup. Finally, I remembered my dermatologist had given me samples of CeraVe products several years ago, which I couldn't really remember the results of, but figured I would retry those products again. And I am oh so glad that I did!
Now that I have been using it consistently (morning and night) for several weeks, I am confident that it will be my forever moisturizer. No bells and whistles about the packaging, but man does this stuff get the job done, and do it well!!! No breakouts from this... actually, in combination with the foaming cleanser, i would say it actually has helped with the redness and irritation and overall condition of my skin. Best of all, no more flaking around my mouth and chin!
Please give it a try. For about $11 @ Wal-Mart, you can get a 12 oz. bottle with a handy (& hygienic) pump dispenser. If you are only using it for face, that will last you quite a while, so it is well worth every penny.
What to do, where to look when you have eczema and acne-prone, rough, sensitive skin?...CeraVe people, CeraVe! I remember using this last year, perhaps in the fall and hated it. I honestly can't remember why, I just thought it made my skin look horrible. I recently bought this on sale at London Drugs (it was 2 for 1), and ladies (or men), I'm pretty sure in Canada you can only get this at London Drugs because it just arrived in Canada within the year I think. It's funny because this product is always on sale, or at-least 1/3 products that they do sell in Canada are, so check and stock up. I always see a lot on the shelf, people don't know what they are missing. :P
* I can literally smear this on to my face, layers and layers, pumps and pumps (even though it's not always needed) and not break out.
* While it does feel like slime, it sinks in beautifully. If you put two pumps onto your face and neck and see white residue do the following: Just massage it in slowly, leave it for a couple of minutes, come back and massage the rest in, and it sinks in better!
* I had this pesky dermatitis flare up on my left cheek, and basically severe dryness also on my other cheek and not even the creamiest, thickest lotions/creams fixed the texture of my skin. This did.
* It looks way better underneath foundation than the other lotions, and when I tried to put my liquid foundation with my fingers it blended in beautifully. My skin looks way better with a few drops of foundation and this lotion than it did with other moisturizers, concealer, two different types of primer, foundation and powder!
* My skin isn't nowhere as oily as it was with the lotions listed above, my cheeks would get oily -_- but not any more, just my forehead, if that! Now this could be attributed to not using primers, but even with oil-free primers my skin would get oily. With this and a little bit of foundation, I don't need to blot unless I feel like, and when I do see oil it's probably 7-8 hours after application, and blotting makes my skin look great again, and fresh which is hard to look like after a long day!
* I have used it on my body and still currently do. Technically it's still winter in Canada but I live on the west-coast so it's mild and feels more like spring now, and while this hasn't made my skin uberly soft, it's fine, and it's not itchy. If I do feel I need more moisture I just add a layer of Vaseline or Eurcerin's cream, with Vaseline my skin is SO soft and stays that way until the next day I shower. So I don't know how well this would fair in harsh, cold, windy winters.
*It doesn't look make my face look flawless but then again I have redness and blemishes still.
Now I'm giving it a dirt cheap price rating because usually when I buy it, it's on sale, and still is much cheaper than the other moisturizers that I have tried.
*Edit* March 10th 2013
I still do use this underneath make-up. I am breaking out because of my new acne cream I think, and since I have been using it for so long, I can rule this out as breaking me out. I use this on my back (and face/neck). I don't use this on my body anymore, I use CeraVe's cream mixed in with olive oil, or Eurcerin's cream because I find it wasn't making my skin soft, just keeping it moisturized, but it doesn't claim to make it soft! I am going to give CeraVe's cream another try underneath make-up though.
This product is perfect in every way, I wish I had known about it sooner. I will never buy another high priced moisturizer again. I have combo/oily skin and this gives me good hydration in the spots that need it and doesn't break me out, keeps my skin from being too dry when I go a bit overboard on the AHA/BHA/Vit.C treatments. I love this product!
I was searching for a new moisturizer to add to my night time regime and I purchased Cerave based on the high ratings on MUA and recommendation of Paula Begoun. I absolutely love using this moisturizer during the night as a second layer over top of retinol, BHA or AHA products. Provides the perfect quantity of hydration to my skin without feeling greasy or heavy. Contains beneficial ingredients and the pump packaging is fantastic. I'm working on my second bottle and will continue to repurchase.
I've suffered with skin issues all of my adult life due to Lupus... took me (and my doctors) way too long to realize I was't helping matters by using products which were causing more harm than good to my sensitive skin. Since I began working this into my routine, my skin looks and feels incredible, and I never would've imagined something so gentle could provide such amazing results. My skin had become dehydrated and was overreactive to the harsh chemicals in most products, but has since calmed down and looks clearer now than it has in many years.
Its the best lotion out there. Non greasy application and my skin just glows with hydration.Since its winter I put this on morning and night before going to bed. This lotion is amazing.
I have rosacea and suffer from severe adult acne which I have been on oral spironolactone and Differin 0.1% lotion for a year (the medication save my skin btw!) Cerava lotion is super gentle and really absorbed and moisturize my skin. My skin feels supple and smooth! I even use it all over on my eyes area since I am too sensitive to even eye creme now. I am a makeup and skincare junkie and I have tried literally EVERYTHING in drug store and sephora. Cerave is awesome!
I love this lotion. For reference, I have acne, rosacea and eczema skin. I apply this lotion on my face and it will calm my skin. It is my HG moisturizer after my HG Triceram has been discontinued. I hate the AM and PM lotions as I had a bad reactions from them.
I was recommended this by my dermatologist and it has really lived up to expectations. I only moisturize in the morning... and this stuff does an amazing job of keeping my skin hydrated all day, I still get some flakes, but I think that is only because I am currently using harsh acne treeatments. Doesn't cause pimples.. The pump is great for easy and efficient use, however not so great for traveling. But if you go to a derm then they can give you little samples that are great for that!