Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant

2.5

Not tested on animals
Tom's of Maine is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is the worst deodorant I have ever used! I read about scientists finding that the aluminum in anti-antiperspirants could be linked to breast cancer, so I began searching for good natural deodorants. This one was so terrible; I was smelly about an hour after application, and I'd never been a sweaty or stinky person to begin with. I really wanted to like it, so I tried using it for a week or so, but over and over I had that embarrassing b.o. just a couple hours after application, so I decided that I'd had enough of this deodorant. I will continue to look for a natural deodorant that works for me, but this one was definitely a thumbs down.

on 6/14/2009 6:06:00 PM

My mom bought this for me in 'lemongrass' to promote using less aluminum on my body, and I was all for it. First go around, it goes on really smoothly, didn't stain my black tee shirts and smelled a little like citronella. However, after about ten hours (okay, it's a long time, but antiperspirants last longer), the deodorant wore off, which is not enough time for someone constantly on the go the way that I am. After a few weeks of use, and carrying it around to reapply when needed, I noticed that I was getting patches of dry, flaky skin under my arms. NOT flattering during the summer, let me tell you. I guess I had an allergic reaction to whatever is in it, and though it's probably better for me to put up with dry skin and use it, I'm tossing this out.

on 6/9/2009 4:19:00 PM

I love this deodorant because it's the only natural kind that I find works. I used the unscented kind (less chemicals) and I only apply it once a day with great results. Sometimes I have to apply it once again for a night out. I've been using it for years.

Note: When I first started using it, I had to give it a couple of weeks before it worked on me - I think the aluminum that non-natural deodorants contain wreaks havoc on pores. So you need to give it a couple of weeks - just apply it often so that you don't lose your friends! ;)

on 4/27/2009 12:27:00 PM

I was trying to buy all natural deodarants due to skin irritation and the fact that antiperspirants clog your sweat glands. I found Tom's and decided to give it a try. I bought apricot and rose, both were on sale. Both smelled really good, tho I preferred the rose more. I applied after my shower and shaving and WOW! talk about stinging! Then after that it just left a sticky residue. I had to apply baby powder. I don't really sweat a lot, but for the minimal amount that I do, it did NOTHING. I was just left with sticky feeling armpits all day. Very uncomfortable. My husband ran out of his deodarant and grabbed one of my Tom's that I hadn't used. He said he was left with the same feeling AND had major BO about 1/2 way into his day. These are DEFINITELY not made for men.

on 4/17/2009 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought Tom's of Maine natural deodorant in Lavender because I had a skin reaction in my armpits to my old deodorant! I figured natural was a good way to start. Although I do sweat a LOT even w/o physical exertion, I know that this is not an antiperspirant, and did not expect this product to address my perspiration at all. HOWEVER, I did expect this product to keep me smelling fresh and clean even when sweaty. The product claims on its packaging to keep you smelling good for 12 hours.

PROS: Lavender smells pleasant at first. Did not worsen the irritation in my armpit.

CONS: Does not stay smelling pleasant throughout the day (starts to smell a little off, does not last long). A little spendy (and not worth the money). Can leave marks on clothes. Does NOTHING to control perspiration (although not expected, as it is a deodorant).

If you need or want a natural deodorant, I'd look elsewhere. I probably won't even finish using this product... :(

on 4/17/2009 10:03:00 PM

I'm not sure what some of the unhappy reviewers are talking about with this deodorant. It's a deodorant, NOT an antipersperant. I've used this for years and have found it to be just fine as a deodorant. It's not for working in the yard in the summer. I use the rose scent and it I like it. It doesn't sting, or cause a rash. It doesn't smell bad. For a natural deodorant I would recommend this.

on 4/17/2009 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Cool

I used the Honeysuckle one and it's a great natural deodorant if your not going to be in a situation where you;ll be very active. I wear this on the weekends or when I'm not really doing much to give myself a break from wearing stronger anti-perspirants/deodorants with loads of chemicals. You may have to apply a few times a day as it wears off quickly. I also tend to use it after I shave my underarms as I want something more natural since your pores are more open after shaving.

on 4/17/2009 9:40:00 PM

Didn't work at all.

on 2/27/2009 7:23:00 PM

This stuff was terrible. It didn't help with odor at all. It would sting when I applied it to my skin. I would never recommend this deodorant. If you are looking for a natural deodorant to try, try Dr. Mist. Dr. Mist really works at controlling odor and no stinging.

on 2/27/2009 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Did an okay job of holding back wetness - but not with a lot of activity.
Did an even worse job of dealing with odor.

Wish I could find a natural deodorant that works...

:-(