November 27, 2014 | 971 users online

Gels/Soaps - LUSH - Flying Fox Shower Gel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2007 12:58:00 AM More reviews by thirdstrokelucky

I loved this shower gel, and I still do but now with mixed feelings too. I first bought the 100 ml bottle, then upgraded to 500 ml, and am now using the 250 ml bottle, but only because the biggest bottle was sold out (yes, Flying Fox is one of LUSH's best sellers. I can imagine some people gagging at this).

When I used the 100 ml bottle, I was very impressed with the jasmine fragrance. It overpowered my senses in the shower. The scent was that strong. However, when I bought the 500 ml bottle I found that the scent had somehow changed and was weaker. No longer did jasmine envelop me. I checked the ingredients and saw that LUSH had modified the ingredients somewhat. You'll see what I mean when I list them at the end of this review. Anyway, the "new" FF was not the same scent as the FF temple balm, which is what the "old" FF used to smell like. So.... I agree with playkitty911 on the issue of the shower gel being different from the temple balm.

Currently I'm getting a bit sick of FF. I can understand why many people find this shower gel to be cloying and nauseating. But my reason for feeling "sick" is that I've been using it a lot for the past nine months or so. I find that FF is really effective at combatting menstrual pains. After showering I just feel a whole lot better! And for that reason alone, I'll probably keep repurchasing it.

What I really hate about LUSH is how the ingredients of FF are inconsistent. They should take the time to explain why they're tinkered with it, and why the listings are different on the bottle and on their web site!! But I believe that the correct ingredients are the ones listed on the bottles being presently sold.

Ingredients for the OLD formula on my 100 ml bottle (circa Nov. 2005) and on the current (?!) LUSH TIMES: HONEY (MEL), SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, CHINESE ANGELICA, BURDOCK ROOT AND JASMINE FLOWER INFUSION (ANGELICA SINENSIS, ARCTIUM LAPPA AND JASMINUM OFFICINALE), SODIUM COCOAMPHOACETATE, HUNGARIAN HONEY (MEL), GREEK HONEY (MEL), ENGLISH HONEY (MEL), PERFUME, JASMINE ABSOLUTE (JASMINUM OFFICINALE), YLANG YLANG OIL (CANANGA ODORATA), CYPRESS OIL (CUPRESSUS SEMPERVIRENS), PALMAROSSA [SIC] OIL(CYMBOPOGAN MARTINI), METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN.

Ingredients on the LUSH web site: HONEY (MEL), SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, SODIUM COCOAMPHOACETATE, PERFUME, JASMINE ABSOLUTE (JASMINUM OFFICINALE), YLANG YLANG OIL (CANANGA ODORATA), CYPRESS OIL (CUPRESSUS SEMPERVIRENS), PALMAROSSA OIL (CYMBOPOGAN MARTINI), METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN

What is different from the old formula is that everything from Chinese Angelica to English Honey is wiped out. Maybe LUSH is getting lazy with the completion of ingredient listings on their site?

Ingredients for the CURRENT formula on my 250 ml bottle (circa Jan. 2006): HONEY (MEL), SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, WATER, SODIUM COCOAMPHOACETATE, PARFUM, JASMINUM OFFICINALE (JASMINE) FLOWER EXTRACT, CANANGA ODORATA FLOWER OIL, CUPRESSUS SEMPERVIRENS OIL, CYMBOPOGAN MARTINI OIL, METHYLPARABEN, JASMINUM OFFICINALE (JASMINE) FLOWERS, PROPYLPARABEN, ANGELICA POLYMORPHA SINENSIS ROOT, ARCTIUM LAPPA ROOT.

These ingredients are similar to the old formula, but they lack the Chinese Angelica, Burdock Root and Jasmine Flower Infusion as one of the first ingredients. This may be why the jasmine scent isn't as strong anymore. But I doubt all the anti-FF users will agree with me on this point. Also, the three kinds of honey are gone. Shouldn't LUSH cheapen the price of FF if these specialty honeys are now missing? continued >>

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2007 1:49:00 PM More reviews by n0nplusultra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow, I don't know about this shower gel. I have some pretty mixed feelings about it right now. When first getting a whiff in the bottle I almost gagged. Way too floral for my tastes. However, when getting it all lathered up the smell is toned down and it smells nice. More of the honey smell comes through when it is lathered. It also doesn't dry out my skin, which is a plus. I will probably finish the small bottle I purchased but I doubt I will buy this again. Only get this if you REALLY like jasmine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2007 11:54:00 PM More reviews by Irelandfrvr

I absolutely LOVE this product...great texture...it smells soooo good. comliments my Narcisso Rod perfume perfectly...My BF cant keep his hands off me when i wear this...LOVE LOVE LOVE!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2007 3:06:00 PM More reviews by forwardrussia

I have a love/hate relationship with this shower gel.

Firstly, the smell changes when you use it in the shower. It's not as overpowering and has honey undertones, and is just wonderful. However, if anyone else in your house uses FF that is all you can smell and it can make you gag.

Secondly, I bought this for the claim to ease PMS. One problem Lush - my heightened sense of smell means I can't reach for the bottle without gagging.

Some weeks I'm addicted, other times I can't bring myself to look at it, so this product just leaves me confused.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2007 7:40:00 PM More reviews by playkitty911

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Normally, I love LUSH. And odd enough.. I also love Flying Fox Temple Balm (which I use as a solid perfume). But this stuff just smells too strong! It's overpowering! Plus it seems like they added or put an ingredient out of balance. Sickly and cloying while the temple balm is sweet and nostalgic. I don't know what they added/did with this but .. I don't really like it at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2007 7:37:00 AM More reviews by JayneNoorMohamed

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Isn't the world of perfume a strange thing! I love, love, love this honey-jasmine scent and couldn't believe all the negative reviews - how is it possible that everyone isn't transported to the same happy place that this takes me. It delivers exactly what it promises - mood enhancing and crabbiness-lifting (I have the temple balm, too, for confidence crises and temper tantrums) and it makes me sad that some people appear to be immune. I wonder if it is like cats and catnip, with definable percentages of the population flying fox positive or negative.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2007 5:43:00 AM More reviews by bluemushroom

i love the smell of jasmine and honey in it. its just so comforting. its good for after a long day at work, a hard day at the office or when you just want to feel completely calm and relax. i'm glad i bought the temple balm and silky underwear powder..they just working so well on lifting my mood.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2007 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Clare_au

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ever seen a cat with catnip? That's what using Flying Fox feels like. For those who love it, Flying Fox is more than a nice smell - it's a drug. However, judging by the negative reviews, you'll definitely want to get yourself a sample before buying it (don't judge it by the smell in the bottle, as it's different when it lathers). I can kind of see why some people hate it - it's VERY powerful - but I'm in pure heaven. I want to try all the other Lush soaps and shower gels, many of them smell very nice, but I don't know if I'll get around to it since I can hardly bring myself to have one shower without using some Flying Fox.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2007 8:07:00 PM More reviews by LauraP24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this, I love the feminine scent of jasmine. My favorite thing about this shower gel - all of LUSH's shower gels, in fact - is that I don't need moisturizer after. My skin is very dry, so this is saying a lot. I'll definitely re-purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2007 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Ispendtoomuchmoney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is by far one of the most FOUL things I have ever smelled! It made me seriously nauseous, and it gave me a pounding headache. I would rather smell a fart than to ever lay my nose on it again!
Its a good thing that I didnt pay for this, it was given to me as a GWP.