October 25, 2014 | 830 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2007 1:33:00 PM More reviews by paigupaigu

This sunscreen is expensive ($33 USD) but TOTALLY worth the price. I have been searching for a sunscreen that does not make my face any shinier/oilier. This sunscreen really works to leave a matte finish. It actually feels a bit powdery but it is still easy to smooth over my face. Also, it gets easily absorbed and does not leave behind a ghostly white cast. I am very sensitive to the chemical sunblocks (avobenzone, for example) so I prefer zinc oxide-containing sunscreens. There is somewhat of a fragrance but nothing terribly offensive or too perfumey. Basically, this stuff helps keep my skin matte and makes my complexion look even. I have been using it every day, summer and winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2007 8:30:00 PM More reviews by fermidiracgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ive been using this for a few weeks, and I really like it. The only thing I dont like is the price - $33 for 2oz tube. But whatever, its Shiseido, not walmart-brand. Its great protection, with 7.4% octinoxate and 13.9% zinc oxide, so it is a stable, broad-spectrum sunscreen, good for sensitive and acne prone skin like mine. But it has silicones, so steer away if you're sensitive to those. It also has a light fragrance but it doesnt bother me. I use this on top of my moisturizer (hope in a jar) and it leaves practically no white cast, and dries very very quickly with a matte finish, without drying my skin. Its the perfect primer for foundation too. This stuff actually makes me want to use sunscreen. Its PA+++ which means it has a PPD (the UVA's version of SPF) of 8 to 10, which is actually good for a sunscreen in the USA. Love it, will continue to purchase it. The Lotion version is better if you have oily skin, but I prefer the cream in winter. **** update 02/03/08**** I am still using this and really LOVING it! I have both this cream, and its SPF 55 lotion counterpart (and use that on days I feel oily). And really - for me to be still using this is saying something. Im always switching around what facial products I use, but this has remained the same. This has the best texture of any sunscreen Ive used - its a velvety smooth opaque white cream, goes on without any greasiness, dries to a matte finish which is perfect for makeup. If you have normal to dry skin and hate wearing sunscreen this is for you.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2007 8:50:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 has been my favorite sunscreen all summer long, but it can be a bit drying, even though my skin tends to be on the oily side and I use a moisturizer underneath. So I recently tried a sample of the cream version to see if it would be less drying. Unfortunately, I found it to be thicker, heavier, and more opaque than the lotion. It was also more difficult to blend in, but it was not more moisturizing. I'm going to stick with the lotion because I love its more fluid texture, and you get more product for your money with the lotion.
    Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.4%, Zinc Oxide 13.9%. Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Dimethicone Copolyol, Polybutylene Glycol/PPG-9/1 Copolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dextrin Palmitate, Glycerin, Hydrogenated C6-14 Olefin Polymers, Xylitol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glutathione, Sodium Glutamate, Zinc Myristate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Thiotaurine, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Ononis Spinosa Root Extract, Ectoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Isostearic Acid, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Trisodium EDTA, Silica, Alcohol, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2007 8:12:00 AM More reviews by mcarrozza

I have fair, acne prone skin and I absolutley love this sunscreen! I have tried many brands and this is the ONLY one that does not creep up into my eyes and burn them! Not to mention, it provides wonderful protection from the sun.

I wear this everyday rain or shine. I also recommend Shiseido's sun protection cream for eyes if you are in search of a product for your eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2007 6:27:00 AM More reviews by thatjen

My favorite sunscreen ever!! I've probably tried 20 sunscreens, and so far this is my favorite. I love it because it really stays on, and it has a high zinc oxide content. I have dry skin, and it doesn't dry my skin out, but it finishes to a relatively matte finish. It has just the slightest white cast, but it's not a big deal. The only thing I don't love about it is that it's a bit pricey, so I probably don't use as much as I should. I use it every day!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2007 12:11:00 PM More reviews by CKindiana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have combo acne prone skin which is under control now that I use retin A and take spironolactone. What I like about this sunscreen: it doesn't sting (my skin is more sensitive now); it's more matte than LPR Anthelios SX SPF 15 (I was using this before the weather got warm & humid) but not as drying as Shiseido lotion--I found this too drying; high spf and reasonable PPD; it's sweat resistant; and it's a good base for makeup. What I don't like: the price is high--$33 for 2 oz. at Sephora; I wish the PPD was higher; it's harder to remove (although I find Clinque Take Off the Day Balm works well for this); I get a few clogged pores if I used this for several consecutive days. I also find it does leave a slight white cast. It's fragranced and that doesn't bother me but I can see how it would be irritating to others. However, compared to the other drug store high spf and sweat resistent sunscreens I've used (Neutrogena Dry Touch spf 70 and HT Oil Free Sensitive spf 50) I prefer this and it gives me fewer problems.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2007 9:33:00 AM More reviews by jade777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this product. On on hand it's got a high SPF, is mattifying and doesn't break me out. On the other hand, it may be tooo mattifying. My nose feels very dry after putting this on, also it's quite hard to take off. I'm going to use this up and try something else.
    Edit: Actually, this does break me out. And it's hard to get off my skin too!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2007 9:39:00 AM More reviews by theroxywave

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My favourite sunscreen ever!!! There's no alcohol, no white cast, gives a mattifying effect, and not too drying at all.
    Even brightens up skin like foundation!!!
    I will use this always until I find something better.

Very happy that I can get this at a cheap price too....only HKD180!!! yay!

skintype: oily, zit prone, sensitive, dehydrated at places

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2007 9:45:00 PM More reviews by AndreaLeigh

I did not care for this product at all. I wanted a high SPF for my face, and this was highly recommended on the skincare board. I usually use Eucerin's Extra Protective Lotion with SPF 30 as my daily moisturizer, as my foundation also has SPF and I felt that combo was sufficient. However, I was going to Florida for a week in June and knew that I would need something more for my super fair face to keep from burning. Using this for a mere 7 days caused breakouts and a severe dryness that didn't clear up for almost a week. I also waxed my upper lip after I returned home, and ended up taking off my skin. That's never happened to me before, and know I wonder if it was related to the dryness in my skin after using this products. Who knows? I do know I have no further use for this so I guess I will put it up for swap.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2007 11:52:00 AM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

EDIT - Watch out for the alcohol in this if you have combo dry skin or use Retin-A! My face is flaking off and I can barely smile (skin is red, itchy and cracking); this is the only change I made in my routine. May be great protection but it is killing my skin even on top of moisturizer... returned to the counter today.... will stay away from alcohol in sunscreens in the future. ProCyte Ti-Silc SPF 60+ is 100 times better than this-- finally I found something w/ a high SPF that is gentle. - END EDIT

Just got this a couple of days ago, and it's good stuff. I've used Eucerin moisturizer with 30 SPF (for sensitive skin) for years since it moisturizes well and provides a decently high SPF. It's great in the winter (and is super cheap, lasts forever), but in the summer in NYC melts off your face in the hot humidity. This summer I didn't want to take any chances since I'm outdoors a lot walking, so picked up some of this cream. It really adheres to skin.. I mean once you smooth it on, it's ON there for the day. The hardest thing about it is IT WILL NOT COME OFF at night! Last night I rubbed jojoba oil all over, scrubbed twice with my Lush Fresh Farmacy soap and water, and THEN had to go over my face three times with a cotton pad and toner. Even then it still felt like the sunscreen was still on there! So I ordered some DHC cleansing oil hoping that it will take it off, becuase apparently none of the products I have will--????