October 23, 2014 | 1035 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2010 6:40:00 PM More reviews by zklao

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great summer product, perfect for swimming as it stays put even through perspiration. It has full coverage, and at times, I don't even need to use concealer on some spots.

i think it is a bit heavy for some acne prone skin, but if you take good care of your skin, this should pose no problem.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2010 8:08:00 AM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this from Ebay since it is not available in Belgium (though all other Shiseido product are, which is strange). I was convinced to give it a try after seeing a video from sardun about it on Youtube. It has good coverage, blends great, is lightweight and looks natural. So really a very decent product! I use it with my beloved BeautyBlender.

It is a great foundation for the beach but I'm a bit concerned about the high spf in it reflecting too much in pictures so will not use it when I don't need the spf/waterresistance. I did find it a bit on the expensive side for the small amount of product, but it seems to last quite long:)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2010 2:11:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product. Reading all the reviews here, it seemed like it was going to be the perfect foundation for my face! Unfortunately, it didn't stay on my face well, plus it settled into my pores & cracks. I was quite surprised cuz most people have such a great response to this foundation! I ended up returning it though. I wish Shiseido carried more liquid foundations because their Ocher color is perfect for my skin tone.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/1/2010 10:38:00 PM More reviews by jomia23

I have very photo-sensitive skin. More than 2 hours in the sun with sunscreen and I'll still get a bunch of sun spots.
    I love the formulation of this makeup. It's opaque enough that I don't need concealer for my sunspots and blemishes. I'm NC3.5-40 and I use the darkest, most golden color (70-sumthin).
    Thing is, it breaks me out if I don't use Shiseido's Ultimate Cleansing Oil. I've tried other cleansing oils and none of those got this stuff off my face effectively.

So overall, the cost of using this is really more like $55USD, instead of $35 for the foundation alone.

***UPDATE*** Its PPD factor is not even as high as La Roche Posay or Bioderma Photomax.
    Darn, just when I thought I had an awesome water resistant sunscreen + foundation in one.

WHY OH WHY was there ever such a concept as perfect skin ....

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2010 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Ifiyenia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin type: Oily (more oily in summer), sensitive at times, large pores and prone to spot blackheads, some old acne marks, yellow-golden undertones.

I would recommend this product for oily skin only, as I m pretty sure it would irritate and dry out normal to dry skin.

Coverage and application:
    It gave me great medium to full coverage (depending on how much you use), and the formula is very light.
    At first it seems rather runny but it's easy to apply (I used a sponge and my fingertips and worked fine with both).
    It was easy to blend and it dried fast, giving me a semi-matte finish.
    Don't overdue with the quantity, it really takes a little to do the work.
    Shades:
    The shades are limited and I guess women with really fair skin or darker one will have a difficult time finding their match. However, for medium and olive skins with yellow undertones it would be easier.
    I first tried 30 shade, which was too light for me, number 40 is discontinued in Greece -have no idea why though- and finally settled with 50. It has a golden/yellow tone that suited me, although probably I would need a darker shade later on when I would be on holidays and I would get some more tan.
    Nevertheless, I decided not to use the 60 shade, since I can always apply some bronze blush to fix the lighter shade but not easy to fix a darker shade.
    Crash test:
    I first tried it on at midday, on a very hot and humid July day (summer is REALLY HOT in Greece), to check it's performance during the day.
    I was surprised to say the least. It lasted for a long, long time (8-9 hrs). Most of this time I was indoors (office and aircon's on), but when I went out and inevitably the heat made me sweat, oh la la, the foundation was still there and didn't fade at all.
    By the end of the day that I came back home (21:00), although my skin was rather oily as expected, it was not as bad as it would normally be, and the foundation lasted well despite heat, humidity and perspiration.
    Cons:
    Small range on shades.
    Rather expensive, but yet again I think it worth the money.
    You do need the special cleansing oil to remove it (Ultimate Cleansing Oil, Shiseido), or you'll have a difficult time to remove it properly with everyday use cleaners or even 2phase cleaners.
    I will write another review on the Ultimate Cleansing Oil.

I would definitely recommend this to a friend, but only if she had really oily skin and would take extreme care on removing the product at the end of the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 3:24:00 PM More reviews by SueJC0211

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily skin that's mildly sensitive and blemish prone. If I treat it right, though, it says clear. I generally don't have scars or blemishes to cover but I do have 'rosey' cheeks, nose and chin that need to be evened out. Due to a very long commute my workday is 12+ hours. I'm willing to blot once or twice if needed as long as the foundation STAYS PUT and can be restored to fresh perfection easily. (Is that too much to ask?) I've used various powder foundations (PUR Minerals, EM, BM, Clinique Almost Powder Foundation, EGM, MAC SF Powder) and all had their merits but all tended to 'float and shift' around on the oil my skin produced. After blotting it always looked cakey and was hard to buff out without making it worse. I used MAC SF Liquid and MUF Mat Velvet + for several months and was happier with them but they, too, would still break down some. I've been using Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF42 in the shade SP10 for about 2 weeks. I HAVE FOUND THE PROMISED LAND! It blends on beautifully, a tiny bit goes a long way. It feels very light. You can get light/med coverage or build to full coverage without it ever looking cakey. The finish is a beautiful, smooth, velvety-matte canvas. I have very few fine lines, but this makes them and my pores disappear. It makes my eye shadow and blush wear better as well. It doesn't control shine on it's own quite as well as, say, EL Double Wear or Lancome Teint Idole, but it does not budge...EVER...even when blotting. To control the shine I've found that a very light dusting of MAC Blot powder after I apply it does the trick. 6 hrs into the day I have only a vague, lovely glow, not an oil slick. A quick blot and fresh dusting of powder and it's beautiful perfection the rest of the day until I take it off before bed (that's 17 hours) and it still looks as if I'd just put it on! Makeup this tenacious does need some special care to remove completely, though. If you loved it but it broke you out, consider trying it again but when you remove it use a separate oil-based makeup remover first, then follow-up with your usual cleanser if needed.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 3:47:00 AM More reviews by delasou1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My HG--I'm seriously in love with this foundation. Sp40 works well for my NC25 skintone, and I apply this foundation using just my fingers (works well). Up close, I do appear a bit ghastly in flash photos due to the high SPF, but that's not the purpose of this foundation. The oil-controlling properties and lasting power of this foundation is unbelievable. I wore this to the beach today (did not put my face in the water), and it still looks good 10 hours later--no sunburn included (I was at the beach for 8 hours)!!! My face looks so smooth and radiant with this foundation on. I get super oily around my nose and cheeks area, and this foundation keeps the shine to a low. I don't think any foundation that I've used in my life (MUFE HD/ MAC SF/ Neutrogena Skin Clearing/ Chanel Mat Lumiere) has looked this natural or worked this well. The only con I can think of is that if I use this foundation too much, and do not properly remove it from my face, I will break out. I don't like using liquid foundation everyday, but I'm still keeping this foundation for those days I choose to use it. For oily gals, please give this foundation a try!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by honeybeeyy

This is a very light watery foundation with medium coverage. I'm Asian and have very light skin with yellow undertone and I decided to use #30. #10 and #20 are very pink and I always avoid foundation with pinkish tone in it. #30 looks a bit light when I first applied but it looks very natural after it warms up on my skin after 15 mins. I could use #40 but I'm afraid the peach tone in #40 will make my skin dull.

I like the high SPF in this foundation and it gives a nice matt finish. The fragrance is quite strong but it didn't break me out so far. I like it overall and it will be my go-to foundation for this summer!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2010 4:30:00 PM More reviews by JulieMI

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At age 46, I finally decided to wear a little foundation to even out the skin tone and cut down the sunscreen shine. I have some mineral powder but was concerned about inhaling (both parents are lung cancer victims). So I decided to search for a liquid foundation.
    After trying 6 highly popular ones, I found this wonderful product. I got a perfect match in Macy's in SP20 (have a NC30 in my drawer purchased 10 years ago but used <5 times, apparently too dark). I also invested in a MAC 187 brush. I found I got the best result by using the sponge coming with the product. It makes me look years younger and my already lovely skin flawless. It lasts all day. I can't stop checking myself in the mirror.
    Please never stop making this prduct. I will serously cry if it happens.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by olenka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My HG:
    o You can't beat the sun protection benefits.
    o The product applies very easily: it's a very thin fluid.
    o The coverage is outstanding.
    o It's very efficient. I use it everyday, and one bottle easily lasts me a year. This means it might effectively be cheaper than drug store brand foundations.
    o It stays on your face all day and night, covering beautifully, until you wash it off.
    o Doesn't make you look greasy.

If I had to think of anything that's not perfect about it, I'd probably mention that it might slightly emphasize your fine lines. But that also might be due to the fact I apply a lot of it in the eye area to cover dark circles.