MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

One of the best reds out there. So bright, one of the brightest, and is as matte as can be, just like I like. So dry a lip brush wont pick it up for me, love it. I love Ruby Woo forever.

on 10/24/2013 6:35:00 AM

Be not mistaken: This is a screaming read, and its roar can be heard from afar!

I asked my favourite MAC artist to apply red lipstick on me, pin-up style, she used Shroom eyeshadow, a rather pale foundation, winged out liner, some Dainty blush and Ruby Woo. I loved it, although it was very, very different from what I normally wear, and the lipstick did not move until I removed it with oil-containing makeup remover. It is drying, though, but manageable with my ultra chapped lips with good moisture before and afterwards.

I have only applied Ruby Woo in the safety of my home ever since, but since I recently got into reds also for daytime wear (started with Lady Bug and New York Apple, graduated to Russian Red, which I now love!), I reach for Ruby Woo in the evening now. It is still a loud red, but less scary than it used to be.

FYI: Russian Red is several nuances darker on me (on many swatches online, they look almost the same). That one is an attention grabbing red, too, but wearable even for someone who feared reds like me.

Ruby Woo plays in another league, though, and I must say it can be addictive to see yourself with that red!

on 10/23/2013 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

MAC IS ALWAYS TO HIGH FOR ME SO I TOOK OFF 2 LIPPIES FOR PRICE:) BUTT I BROUGHT THIS FOR MY GIRL RIRI, HOWEVER I DONT WEAR REDS SO THIS WILL LAST ME FOREVER.
I DID TRY IT ON AND ITS DRYING YOU DO NEED TO MOISTURIZE YOUR LIPS BEFORE APPLYING THE LIPSTICK, IT IS HOWEVER A VERY BEAUTIFUL RED LIPSTICK.

on 10/19/2013 12:18:00 AM

Flattering color. Makes teeth white for an NC30. But hard to apply. Nevertheless, a must-have lipstick.

on 10/16/2013 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

.... I have a love hate relationship with this lipstick. Color wise it's amazing but it's a very harsh matte. Lip conditioner is a MUST. Chapstick or gloss takes away from the effect of the color. I'll probably never use it all so I probably won't be buying another one.

on 10/15/2013 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a beautiful true red. I'm NW20 with pretty decently white teeth. The color looks good against my skin, and makes my teeth look BLINDING, which is awesome!

I have to use chapstick underneath as a primer, since the formula is really, really dry. It lasts well -- no touchups from regular wear, but I generally have to reapply after eating or drinking, which honestly, is true of every lipstick I've ever had.

A lippy off for how dry it is, but I suppose it's a necessary evil to get that kind of matte finish.

on 10/13/2013 7:15:00 AM

THE perfect red lipstick. period.

on 10/9/2013 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I adore this lipstick! It has the perfect matte finish and lasts forever on the lips! Just be aware that this is a retro matte lipstick, which means it is extremely drying and the lips must be very moisturized in order to make it work.

on 10/6/2013 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm on the fence when it comes to this lipstick. I love the colour so much, it's very bright and lively but the texture is so drying! I guess it's made that way to be long-lasting on the lips and to prevent reapplying frequently. Everytime I apply this to my lips, it's NOT a smooth application at all. It drags on your lips and you really have to be careful since it stains, in the case you get this on the skin around your mouth. I moisturize my lips first with my Nivea lip balm then I wipe off the lip balm before putting this on. An application usually lasts me around five hours with frequent drinking and talking. I guess it's good money overlooking the texture, so long as you moisturize well beforehand!

on 10/6/2013 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

At first, I love MAC lipsticks. Ruby Woo is a passionate red lipstick, but I would like it to be a little darker. I don't think I would buy that again, because it's extremely dry, and my favorite MAC red lipstick is Classic Dame (mattene).

Video Reviews & Tutorials