April 25, 2014 | 940 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Klonophunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ruby Woo, a special red.
This red will look more blue based on cool toned ladies and more brown based on warm toned ladies, but if completely opaque, it is a pure red with a magenta (a cool, true magenta) undertone. I am wearing it completely opaque, over Nivea Kiss of Milk& Honey lip balm. My lips are shaped such that lip color always ends up migrating outside the boundary of my lip. Therefore, I invested in some MAC prep and prime for lips to use specifically with Ruby Woo. This color, while high maintenance and very dry, is worth the extra care, in my opinion! I'll follow up on how it looks with the primer under it.

Well, the Prep & Prime for lips is really great: it truly does hold lipstick! One caveat is that the Prep & Prime dilutes the intensity of Ruby Woo. However, this is not really a deal breaking thing in terms of being able to wear this color with less boldness, it just takes more coats to get to opaque. And I'm seriously impressed by the way the primer keeps the lipstick hugging my lip contours evenly. I've written a separate review for the primer.

Wow, am I lucky that this was my first MAC lipstick experience! MAC lipstick is fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Ohviolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

On my porcelain skin, this color is vivid and eye-catching in the best way. Instant glamour. And not as expensive as I would have though, about $14-15 dollars at the Mac store in NYC. It does last a long time but after awhile it dries my lips out and starts to flake off. Not so glam. I definitely recommend exfoliating and hydrating your lips before application. If you are the type who needs lip balm throughout the day, I'd go for a glossier color instead of Ruby Woo, which is super matte and drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Jstar668

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This color is an essential red shade...and necessary in every girl's make up kit! This blue based red is flattering on an array of skin tones and looks glam and amazing no matter what the occasion. I buckled and bought this shade after many months of contemplation and it did not disappoint. It is universally flattering and perfect for anyone ready to take on bold red lips! You'll be glad you did!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by NYMakeupJunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I fell out of love with MAC products 15 years ago and banished everything MAC from my collection, until I read on-line that Gwen Stefani wore Ruby Woo as her staple color. A Nars artist once told me she wore Red Lizard, which is my staple when I need to go all out glam for a formal affair. I knew there was a lot of hype over this shade, so I decided to try it with MAC Cherry lip liner. It did not disappoint!! Ruby Woo is classified as a cool red, but on my cool, fair skin I felt it was a little closer to a true red with subtle cool undertones. This shade has a lot less blue than Nars Red Lizard, and while it's bold and matte, it doesn't have the same punch as RL. The formula is a true matte, which is drying but looks chic. I used some lip balm over it as the day wore on, and the color lasted through two cups of coffee and was still noticeable after lunch. At half the price of Nars, I'll use this one for an every day red.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by 1happytrader10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Woah Mama! This takes some getting used to or a brave sole, but the color payoff is outstanding. Makes my NW20 skin look porcelain next to it and my hazel eyes look very green. It's beautiful, but I can feel everyone looking at my lips with it on! Not that that's a bad thing!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 11:53:00 PM More reviews by Makeupobssesed

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Im going to keep this short simple and sweet... Ruby sooo is one of macs classics and best sellers this color is sooooo pretty and literally looks good on every skin color!! It's is really bold and stains your lips! The smell is lovely and this is def a staple product for an essential red lip!! It also makes my teeth look super white! BEWARE its a matte moisturizer before it is def one of the most matte lipsticks ive tried If you don't have it your sleeping on it!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a beautiful red lipstick. It is a real red color not blue or orange based red but like a fire - truck red.
This has a very matte like appearance and I think as a result it is very dry in nature..Applying this without a chapstick is like using a crayon there is no movement. These things are easy to fix though so if you like red lipstick and you want a matte look this is a marvelous lipstick to have.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 10:07:00 AM More reviews by DaisyWoo

This is my favourite lipstick ever. It is just amazing. I wear it far too much, it just sets off any outfit. I love the retro texture and I'm confident that I won't smudge it all over my face by accident (a fear I have with many other lipsticks). I only need to apply this once on a night out, it doesn't transfer to glasses and the colour stays consistent. I have even woken up with it perfectly intact in the morning! Wore it to work once and it lasted all day even through lunch. I prefer this texture to the other mattes in the MAC range. If you're unsure whether to buy it, I would definitely say get it. It's so classy and perfect.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 5:06:00 PM More reviews by JuliaGhostX3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this lipstick. I think it is literally the perfect matte red lipstick! (That I've tried, at least.) I only have a few issues with it, which is 1. I definitely think it starts to fade after a few hours, and 2. I'm always terrified that the actual lipstick part is just going to break off when I apply it. But other than that, I love this lipstick so much.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Naama

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This would be the ultimate matte true red lipstick, a must have for every makeup lover! I ADORE THIS.
Although the very dry texture, you cannot go wrong with this color. Stays on for a good few hours, gorgeous color, applies nicely without clumping and drying your lips, great quality...
The only downside is the price, we all know MAC is quite expensive.
But if you have some dough, or you want to just treat yourself with something nice and luxury, run to the nearest MAC store to your house and get Ruby Woo right away!