October 26, 2014 | 1388 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Amie1990

This foundation didn't work for me. It felt like a mask, was really tight and uncomfortable. Disappointed as it has such good reviews and wanted it to be good :( maybe it's just not for my dry skin.. and maybe suits more oily skins. I would recommend getting a free sample before you buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 8:13:00 PM More reviews by sapiosexual

I love this foundation. It's a full coverage liquid that seems to be a favorite of oily skinned ladies, but I find it performs well on my dry skin as well. The coverage is touted on the Estee Lauder website as medium and build able, but I find it to be full. It doesn't transfer when buffed in correctly, doesn't emphasize my pores, and doesn't seem to oxidize throughout the day. The packaging is standard and mildly irritating, with no pump, but I can live with that. It's a bit heavy during the summer time, but wears well and comfortably if I sheer it out. I love this foundation for formal events because it gives me that flawless finish. I've repurchased it twice in my lifetime, I do believe I'll repurchase it again and again in the foreseeable future.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 9:08:00 AM More reviews by UrrUrr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wanted to try this for years but somehow got distracted by other foundations along the way. Also, I was put off by the packaging (no pump). Finally I saw this at Sephora during the 20% discount and decided to get it. My shade is Bone (I'm NC15). Bone is slightly too yellow for me but it is still wearable. I have tested this with a paddle foundation brush, a flat top kabuki brush and of course my fingers. It dries rather quickly and I feel that a paddle brush is best because it can sort of fit into the bottle opening so that I need not pour any onto my hand. LESS IS MORE for this! The foundation becomes too thick and unspreadable if too much is used. ****Silicon-based primers (e.g. Smashbox) or mattifier can't be used under or over this foundation - it will look superbly ugly and cake up instantly.**** If you really must use a primer with silicon, skip this! --- which is why I deducted 1 star. I don't use primer when using Double Wear and it holds up fine. The only primer that I have which will work with this is my Cle de peau primer - it isn't "silicony". My skin is reasonably well-hydrated; I have no dry spots but I still see the foundation looking patchy on my nose area when freshly applied...I do not know why..? However it will settle down approximately 1 hour later. Hence this foundation is not suitable for dry skins. Coverage is medium-full and though this foundation is not contact proof (if you rub your face with tissue it will transfer) but it DOES last the entire day and still looks great after 12 hours - not oily nor does it oxidise to a darker shade. I don't regret trying this and will probably repurchase it. Please make a pump for it, Estee Lauder! (I know MAC has a pump but I will have to ebay for it D:)

EDIT: Revised my rating from 4 to 3.......the foundation gets patchy on me after about 5 -6 hours and I don't really like it. It's not oily patches or patches because it was sliding off but more like the foundation "bunched up" on my face or something. And yup this foundation is awesomely long lasting but I just do not like to see those patches. I want a smooth finish. Maybe my skin is not oily enough to take this foundation *sigh*

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 10:00:00 PM More reviews by vronika

I personally rely on reviews to make a decision on any product. Let me tell you first off my skin type, I have normal skin with an oily T-zone and horrible dryness ONLY on my upper lip area (I think its eczema). This foundation does not make my dryness look horrible, if anything it allows me to hide it, on days when it's extremely bad.

Anywho I was introduced to Double-Wear a few years ago and ultimately it's my GO-TO flawless face foundation. I am also a BE girl, but when it comes to coverage DW cannot be beat. It's a beautiful matte finish, which I usually top with any pressed powder. Sometimes MAC, other times BE veil, whatever I feel for that day. I apply by DW with a BE flat top dense brush, similar to ELF. I have used sponges, my hands, an actual foundation brush and this type of flat-top brush is great, and believe me a little goes a very long way.

I am known for touchin my face all day long without even noticing, with other makeup before I know it, it looks like I never put anything on before work. Although its not proof to my contact face touching habits, I must say after my 8-10 hour work days I can still manage to leave work feeling presentable and not needing to apply but a minor powder touch-up (mainly due to my t-zone).

Pros:
    Flawless finish
    Little goes a long way
    Variety of colors ( I use tawny)

Cons:
    Pricey (but not as other high-end brands that do not do 1/2 the job)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Daniela7474

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Horrible.

Way too much money for what it is.

Yes, it controlled my oil, but to the point that it dried my face out and made me look rough, old and haggard.

People at work actually came up to me b/c I looked ''sick.'' My friend said, ''What's wrong? You look SALLOW!!!!"

OMG, it was this makeup.

Furthermore, it goes on patchy, dries too fast, looks cakey and makes you look older than you are.

The formulation is way too opaque and mask-like.

I can only see this ever being appropriate for a red-tie event at night where you need a ''heavy'' and ''done-up'' look. And even then, you can find a better foundation than this.

IN THE TRASH.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2012 1:40:00 AM More reviews by RunawayGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation helps to conceal mild acne but not totally. I think this foundation holds it's hype as a long lasting good finish foundation. They have a nice color range. I wear Rattan and it looks a titch bit light, and wears out a little darker during the day. This is all around a good foundation for my oily skin. It definitely tops most of the foundations I have. It's not a foundation I would wear everyday because it feels heavy on my skin but it's the price you pay for good coverage foundation. Another complaint is the packaging. I find that this is a goopy foundation or maybe I find all foundations goopy looking when you're trying to look at it run out of the bottle... I really wish this had a pump. This is a foundation where you need to add some blush, bronzer or anything to your face as this sucks the life out of your face (unless you're wanting the all nude face.)
    Give it a sample try!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 1:21:00 AM More reviews by eggsandwich97

The double wear is the perfect foundation for someone looking for a semi-matte/matte finish, I have very oily skin and the double wear really helps with that. Estee Lauder is always the brand i choose first their products don't break me out like almost ALL do. I got it for 36 at the estee lauder counter at nordstrom I originally was gonna get the futurist but i decided i should get one that works with my skintype (Even with my oily skin i love the dewy finish so i try to control my oil for that) But the double wear actuall controlled my oil without being to matte like i expected it to be. It has medium coverage, i need no concealer except a little for my under eyes but if you have bad acne you may need a little concealer to be completely concealed. It looks semi-matte to satin on my oily skin thats without all my other oil controlling products that i normally use. It lasts and lasts like it claims, through the whole day with me. Probably not the best to put on very dry skin as it is mattifying overall its a great foundation, does what it claims, and does not break out my sensitive acne prone oily skin. Another great foundation from the best brand. Also im not a sales person or anything i just love estee lauder foundations

rated 2 of 5 on 11/9/2012 8:53:00 PM More reviews by SHEMP1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really liked the coverage of this foundation, but IT GAVE ME THE WORST ACNE I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE!! I really wanted to like this stuff...especially for the price!! I have found, though, that when it comes to Estee Lauder, I can only use the eye makeup and lip sticks...ALL of their foundations, lotions, serums, etc.. break my face out terribly.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Lilyjade

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know what took me so long to write a review for this product, but I LOVE IT!!! I have super oily skin and this does a good job when it comes to coverage and staying power. I wear shade Fresco and it's perfect. For ladies who feel this is too heavy and mask like, I would recommend you mix this with your favourite BB cream (equal parts or your own preference) What I do is I mix ELDW with my Vichy BB cream, and it leaves a smooth, flawless, glowy complexion and feels much lighter. FYI: I use the Sephora Airbrush #55 to apply and blend.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Jampot83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Having acne prone skin and a bad complexion I find double wear to be the be all and end all. I cannot live without this product. I gave tried many premium and high street foundations over time and for the last 5 years have stuck with this. It may be a little pricey but you get what you pay for!! A little dated is the packaging, but again they could wrap it in foil and I'd buy it. Excellent coverage, long lasting and great colour palette...