October 25, 2014 | 1123 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 2 of 5 on 3/31/2007 1:30:00 PM More reviews by madismom98

I received a sample of this primer with my last order from DHC (I use their Cleansing Oil) and tried it immediately. I have 40-year old combo skin with a somewhat oily t-zone, and large pores on cheeks and nose. My main reason for trying the sample was to help minimize my pores and have my skin appear more even. After applying the velvet skin coat, I loved the texture of my skin and it felt really soft. It did feel a little heavy to me and I wondered if my skin was going to be able to breathe with it on. I use mineral makeup and I noticed that by the end of the day my makeup was just sitting on top of my skin and seemed to be sliding around, so I had to re-powder several times during the day. By the end of the 5th or 6th day I noticed that my skin was acting finicky and I had some new outbreaks -- but the pimples were under my skin, not on top. So I gave the primer a break and went back to my normal routine of philosophy hope in a jar followed by my mineral makeup. As I am a faithful MUA board watcher, I kept seeing wonderful reviews for this, so I decided to give it another try. Regrettably my skin got continually worse using this and I had to stop using it as my face was covered in little bumps right under the surface of my skin. The only thing that I can attribute the bumps to is the velvet skin coat -- I guess it is too heavy for me (the silicon I would imagine), and my skin was rejecting it. I now am on a quest to clear my skin back up and get rid of these nasty little bumps!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2007 2:49:00 PM More reviews by northender

I've been using DHC primer samples from catalogs and sweet MUAers who include them as extras - and one little sample packet lasts me five uses! I use this only on my eyelids, and although it feels kind of heavy, it sinks right in and feels fine on. It's great under eye shadow because it keeps it from fading all day. My samples are running out, though, so I must buy a tube! Unless there's a DHC catalog waiting for me in my mailbox . . .

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2007 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Duffy0825

>Sigh< I really liked how this felt on my skin, but (1) It seems to be making me break out a bit, which I NEVER do, and (2) I don't think it does anything for the type of makeup I use (undereye concealer and a light dusting of pan bronzer/foundation). I think this would be great for someone who uses heavier foundations or powders. Too bad for me... :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2007 11:25:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was pleasantly surprised by how fantastic this worked for me. It instantly smoothed out my skin, minimizing fine lines and pores. I loved the look of my face before I even applied my foundation on top of this! My foundation went on flawlessly. The only problem is that the silicone base caused my skin to break out. Contains parabens. Update: Philosophy the Present clear makeup primer works awesome for me without causing my skin to break out.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2007 12:40:00 AM More reviews by serafina7923

I got a sample of this with my DHC order. I don't quite get the hype. It makes your face feel really smooth when you put it on. But beyond that I don't actually see any difference. I think it is just a feel thing that people like. No scent that I could detect, but I did break out a little the last few days, which is unusual for me, so it could be from that. I was not impressed.

Update: I decided after all the good reviews to give the Velvet Coat one more try. I really dislike this product alot. It is almost like a vaseline ointment texture and it is so thick. I feel like I have paste on my face. Your skin does feel smooth, but it is nothing I would want on my face all day long and it really didn't make my make-up seem to hold or last any longer. I am sticking with my Laura Mercier!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2007 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Suselew

This product is the reason I use primers. I found a sample in their catalog and went crazy for it, ordering it immediately and impatiently waiting for my full size product to arrive. When it did, I was mildly shocked at its SMALL size but then realized that it was because there wasn't 10x more packaging volume than product. It's a simple squeeze tube that would be so easy for travel. I'm currently using both this product and Clarin's Instant Smooth. I simply cannot make up my mind which one I like more. I'm using quite a few Clarin's products so I tend to be biased in that direction and I like the beautiful packaging. But, buying the DHC product is probably more cost-effective in the long run. Overall, I think the idea of these primers is excellent and your makeup glides on easily when you use them.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2007 11:19:00 PM More reviews by enidcomplex

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the first primer I've ever tried- I received a sample in this beauty box thing I bought at Target. I had high hopes- it felt great going onto my dry skin, but it didn't effect my foundation's look or wear at all, plus I think it broke me out.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2007 3:26:00 PM More reviews by Neriah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really wanted to like this product as I had never used a liquid primer before but like the other reviewers, it made me break out. This product did however, keep my makeup looking fresh all day. So if someone wants to try this product, I would recommend getting a sample first to make sure it has no adverse effects on their skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2007 11:55:00 PM More reviews by yearoftheliger

It minimized my pores and gave my skin a smooth, silky finish. Unfortunately, every time I used it I would get a raging pimple the next day. Not so pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2007 10:00:00 AM More reviews by lilymidnite

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the effect this has on the large pores on my nose. It really does make them appear smaller. However, this product made rosacea bumps appear, so I won't be continuing to use.