Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

3.5

Water, Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, Isoceteth-20, Citric Acid, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance

on 6/29/2009 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love this stuff! Bumble and Bumble has been having some awesome free shipping deals and their website also has recently been updated with how-to videos.

This spray can be used on wet or dry hair. It gives that 2nd day hair instantly. Lots of volume!

Also works great layered over Grooming Creme.

on 6/17/2009 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm pretty no-nonsense, shampoo-conditioner-finger dry kind of girl, but even I can't deny that this product is worth the little effort it takes when you want a sunny beach style. I am Asian, so my hair is naturally smooth and straight. If I spray this one when my hair is damp, and sort of "crinkle" my hair with my hands (grab large uneven chunks of it and compress and squeeze them) while they are drying, my hair gets and retains the most amazing natural wave. How the Bumble & Bumble stylist explained it to me is that this hair makes your hair a bit "dirty" with a little more "grip". For my hair which is squeaky clean, smooth and silky naturally, this allows me to dull up the shine and create some texture. It also allows me to keep an updo, which is normally impossible because my strands just fall right through. Love this product! Plus the packaging is adorable - a rubber bottle? Something I usually retire for most of the winter, but a definite must-have for summer!

on 6/10/2009 5:20:00 AM

I notice a lot more texture in my hair when I use this spray. I have thick strands but not a lot of it so its really hard to get volume. With this stuff it feels like my hair has more of a "grip"to it so it stays in place better when I style.

on 6/9/2009 8:38:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

There are some mixed reviews about this product. When I first got this, I found it difficult to use because I didn't have a diffuser and being completely ignorant, I sprayed it like a hairspray. My hair is superthick and heavy but I don't get much body. With a bit of practice, this product is amazing. I spray this into my roots in sections on damp hair straight out of the shower. I blast my hair with the hairdryer from mid length down to evaporate as much moisture as possible before using the diffuser on my roots. I definitely have beachy hair minus the sand and even though this is so expensive, I don't think I could live without it!

I agree with the other reviews that Surf Spray is drying but I have naturally oily roots anyways and this counteracts with the oil seeing as I only use it on the roots anyways.

on 6/4/2009 2:32:00 PM

I've wanted this spray for so long, and I have to admit, I wasn't disappointed.
The product is just fantastic, and does exactly as it promises.
I tend to use it on dry hairm as this works best for me and dries better - I spray an amount into my hand to save the product...that's where it's faults come in - it isn't cheap, at least not for the size of the bottle!
But I do love it, it gives me that rock star chick look, leaving my hair feeling lightweight, and smelling gorgeous - will deffo get again!!

on 5/25/2009 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is one of my favorite products. I use it as a second day restyler to get volume back in my hair, and the mattifying effect takes care of oil. When working in salon I loved this for updos, as the gritty texture helps give pins something to grab on to and is perfect for curls, waves, and volume. If you like a pieced out, funky, free form style and waxes and pastes always leave your hair looking lifeless you've got to try this. It's great for all hair types, long or short, curly, straight or wavy. It looks great when applied wet and allowed to air dry, blown dry (use a diffuser for serious waves and volume), or sprayed in hair dry for restyling. Use just at the roots and round brush set for more control. This is great for me in the summer, as I sweat a lot. I simply wait for my scalp to dry, tousle, and still have that lovely volume.

Here are some of the downsides. First, the smell isn't great. It's not awful either, so it doesn't truly effect how I feel about it. It's mostly just a salt smell, but there it a hint of a rubbery scent as well. Second, I find it sometimes makes my scalp itch. Again, that's the salt. I simply avoid spraying directly on the scalp and that takes care of the problem. And, of course, Bb products are on the pricey side, but for performance and quality it's definitely worth it. It seems to last me several months depending on usage.

For those of you complaining about the gritty texture, matte finish, etc, this product is simply not for you. It's meant to give the hair a wind blown, beachy texture, bring out waves, add volume and tooth (the gritty grip that keeps pins in). If you're wanting sleek, fussy, shiny hair look for something else. It does what it says it does. It can be drying. It contains salt after all, staying true to the "just got off the beach" look. I apply a dab of Brilliantine when I need to add shine. If you need moisture, try Sumo Wax or Styling Wax, but try a tiny amount and add more if needed to avoid weighing down that lovely volume.

As with all Bumble and bumble products I recommend checking out their website for great videos showing two or three applications for each product. Bb is about flexibility and creativity, and even as a hair dresser I got a lot of ideas from watching these. If you're having trouble with any of their products, you really should check it out.

on 5/14/2009 6:24:00 PM

One of my favorite hair products! It really gives you that "beach" look without actually being there. Just spray it in, and work it through your hair like any hair spray product. Dont worry about using too much. In my opinion, more is better.

Also, if you have oily hair like me, you can use it as a conditioner type product if you dont feel like washing your hair. It really holds the oils back, and doesnt feel like theres a leave-in product on my scalp.

One more thing, it smells SOOO good!

on 4/17/2009 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product does exactly what it says it does which makes me happy. I love the relaxed sexy beachy look it gives me. The only downside to this product is that it leaves your hair feeling a tiny bit crunchy but thats exactly what the ocean does to it to. Other than that little nuisance, this is a great buy even if it is on the expensive side. With high end products you pay for the name and packaging in addition to the product so keep that in mind. If you do not want to spend too much, make your own mixture of sea salt and water! PS I find all of my BB product at HEB!

on 4/7/2009 10:38:00 AM

This is okay. I does what is says it will, gives beachy-wavy hair without weighing down my fine hair or making it crunchy. I say it is okay, because it is very expensive. You could get the same effect with some salt water in a spray bottle and a little root lifting spray. But if you are not near the beach, or if you need a little more control with your hair, than this is probably good for you. I said I would not buy it again, because I can just drive 10 minutes to the beach and fill up a spray bottle when I run out of this. Saltwater was my go to product in high school (deep conditioning once a week), and I switched to this when I fell in love with the Bumble and Bumble products, I thought it would be even better than plain old salt water. I was wrong, but it was a fun experiment.

on 3/24/2009 10:05:00 PM

I have been using BB Surf Spray for about six months now, and I'm on my second bottle. I have fine, shoulder length, wavy hair. This really works well for me, but I have to use it sparingly, otherwise it weighs my hair down. I spritz about three squirts in my hand, apply it to the lower portion of my hair, and comb through. I find that applying the spray to my hands first allows me some control, keeping me from over applying. It also helps conserve product, given that it's not cheap! As I let my hair air dry, I'll add a few extra squirts for texture and volume. I then finish with BB Styling Creme. For me, those two products really add volume and texture to my hair, giving me piecy, wavy, rock star hair.

Overall, BB Surf Spray is a really cool product. As I mentioned, it's a little expensive. I find that I go through it a little fast for the price I pay ($21.00). I may try to find a less expensive surf spray substitute to alternate, but for now, this product is a keeper.

Top Rated Bumble & Bumble Products