April 16, 2014 | 912 users online

Shampoo - Alberto Vo5 - Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2006 11:56:00 AM More reviews by erins720

I normally don't find many things worth writing my own review about but I felt like I should with this. I have naturally very curly hair that tends to be pretty dry on it's own, and I flat iron it which only makes it drier of course. I usually don't use clarifying shampoos because I was always afraid I was going walk away from it with a head full of straw. Anyway, my hair has been strangely greasy/sticky lately even after washing, which never happens so I figured it was about time I used some kind of clarifying shampoo to get rid of the buildup. I saw all the good reviews for this, and the fact that it was only 99 cents at CVS I couldn't resist. Used this last night followed with aussie moist conditioner and I could tell an immediate difference. My hair was definitely nice and clean & the buildup was gone but it wasn't dry. I let it dry naturally and as it was drying, I couldn't stop touching it because it was nice and soft, and very shiny. I don't use too many products in my hair besides some heat protectant before the flat iron so I don't think I'll have to use this often, but I'll definitely keep using it periodically to get rid of buildup. Can't speak for how it is for color treated hair, though, as mine has never been colored, but this is definitely an example of one of those products you don't need to spend a ton on to get good results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2006 10:19:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Original review @ 12/4/2006:
I don't get greasy or dirty hair with this shampoo. It should not be like that as this is "clarifying" shampoo unless you unfortunately got a vintage bottle from the bottom corner of the shelf [I sometimes got such antiques at CVS :( ]. Anyway, this is the cheapest and the BEST clarifying shampoo I've every tried. I tried Pantene, Neutrogena, Herbal Essence, and Suave in the past until I found this Vo5. This is the best without stripping hair but very clean. I don't have tons of hair falling out in the shower with this shampoo. Very clean with soft natural body. Removed build ups from styling products. Love this as it's only 99 cents everyday price at CVS. Smell is OK not very last though. I'd already purchased a new bottle just in case they are discontinued. :) I won't try any other brands for my weekly clarifying routine. ***********

UPDATE 12/12/06: I read Paula Begoun's "Don't go shopping for hair-care products without me" from library and noted that the main ingredient of ALL Alberto Vo5 shampoo is "sodium LAURYL sulfate (SLS)" and it can cause skin/sculpt irritation. I'm middle of my first bottle and not sure to keep using it.

UPDATE 12/22/07: I still have the same bottle and still love this shampoo that I use about once a week. I don't have any irritation. I also use this shampoo to clean my MU brushes. I'll definitely buy again.

Update 3/28/2011: I still use this (often on sales with 77 cents) interchanging with Suave clarifying shampoo for weekly clarifying without any irritation. This is also very good for cleaning bathtub!! One day, I did not have cleanser to clean the tub and I was lazy to go downstairs to get one so I used this shampoo along with old body brush (someone else left there) sitting in there forever ago. It cleaned much better than those brand names bathroom cleansers minus horrible chemical smells. My bathtub's ring (dirty line) was gone. Pleasant scent and way much cheaper. A great multi-purpose cleaner!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2006 8:18:00 AM More reviews by jackie5555

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this because of the rave reviews. First thing, the smell was OK, not even that fabulous, and it doesn't last two seconds out of the shower. secondly, it made my hair dirtier and greaser than before. i've used this about 7 times sporatically to see if it's just my imaginiation, but no, this stuff is horrible. also the bottle is a nightmare. I would never repurchase this. Atleast with the Suave, my hair felt dry but it was CLEAN. horrible stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2006 1:23:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

A pretty good clarifying shampoo. Sometimes I have to squirt out quite a bit though to get a good lather. Doesn't seem to strip my hair of moisture or strip my color. I would repurchase. I only use this once or so a week to remove buildup from products.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2006 9:52:00 PM More reviews by Sunshinechild18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

meh pretty good clarifyer smells good average

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2006 6:22:00 AM More reviews by BeautifElle

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair has been looking dull and lifeless for the past few days. I could tell that my hair desperately needed to be clarified, so I decided to get this shampoo based on reviews here. It was only 99 cents and so worth it! I used this shampoo followed by a deep conditoner and my hair is once again soft and shiny! It smells good which is a plus. I will continue to use when my hair needs clarifying!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2006 9:22:00 AM More reviews by Laurin

My 8 year old daughter has been cursed with my oily skin and hair genes. She has to wash her hair at least every other day--even in the winter--or else she looks like she hasn't washed her hair in a month.

Based on the reviews here, I bought her this product. It's really great! It does a good job of removing the excess oil without stripping her hair. I'm going to stock up in case they discontinue it.

Now all I need is a good detangling conditioner and we'll be all set!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2006 2:40:00 PM More reviews by fluffybomb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff is great! It only costs a dollar, it clarifies nicely, it smells great...what could be better? I use this once a week, followed by a Garnier's Fortifying Deep Conditioner and it works great. Definite repurchase for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2006 1:58:00 PM More reviews by sharopooks

I used to love Neutrogena's Anti-Residue Shampoo until DH told me the medicinal smell reminded him of his grandfather! So because of these reviews, I checked this product out. I give this shampoo's clarifying qualities a 4 - it's great and it does clarify but it's not to par with Neutrogena's, so I use this every week instead of every other week to keep my hair buildup free. However that fact that this is only a dollar makes this shampoo a 5, love that! Smells great, clarifies nicely and supercheap - what's not to love about that?? :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2006 9:47:00 PM More reviews by blondeambitioned

One of the best *dirt cheap* products out there. At $1, how can you resist? I've tried Suave's clarifying shampoo, but that just made my hair feel stripped and dry. This clarifies really well without making my hair too dry, and it smells divine. The only gripe I have is that it did seem to strip some of my highlights. I hope it's just my imagination.