New York Color Pressed Translucent Powder

Price: $

Price: $

Talc/Dimethicone/Kaolin/Zinc Stearate/Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate/Cetyl Dimethicone/Imidazolidinyl Urea/Methylparaben/Ethylparaben/Propylparaben/Butylparaben/Isobutylparaben. May Contain Mica/Iron Oxides/Titanium Dioxide

on 7/11/2008 10:18:00 PM

I'm not going to lie, for about two bucks I wasn't expecting much when I got this, but oddly enough this is probably one of the best powders I've used before. I have very oily skin in the summer and nothing works to clear it up, whether I am wearing foundation beneath or not. I was really happy to see that this 'translucent' powder is just that, so it matches my very fair skin well. Doesn't look cakey, very natural and wears well. In fact, I've started wearing this by itself and I like that enough I might just stick with this from now on. I use a brush to apply this and the pan wears down well/evenly, which is nice. No need to repurchase anytime soon. I don't really mind the packaging since it looks sturdy enough barring I don't try to throw it against a wall or test the strength of the little folded plastic 'hinge'. This product makes me wonder how much it really costs to manufacture make up, since it is so cheap but NYC is still making some kind of profit.

on 7/11/2008 8:14:00 PM

This is my favorite pressed translucent powder. I have tried several others and some that are specifically "blotting powders" which is the purpose I use it for, and I always come back to NYC. The price can't be beat, especially when you can almost always find some place that is having some sort of sale. I keep one in my makeup bag at all times and use this throughout the day after blotting tissues to freshen up my face.

on 7/4/2008 1:29:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

this powder really controls oil and gives you that flawless finish. Im MAC NC20-25 and the color really suits me. It doesn't give you that ghastly look and this came out sheer with pretty coverage. Its fragrance-free and the powder is finely milled. What i dont like is the cheapey sponge that comes with it. And also i wish the compact has a screw on it so that it doesn't break easily. Overall, i really love this! I better get some backup..

on 6/11/2008 11:04:00 PM

well just to add to all the hype.. i totally love this stuff! i was thinking about trying another powder today when i was at the drugstore because im almost out of my NYC one- which ive been using for about 3 months now.. and prob can go a few more weeks... but neways, i was trying to find another powder to use then i was like.. why?? what im using is amazing, it works, doesnt cause me to break out or clog my pores, and its sooo cheap!!!! i am not bothered by the packaging like others have said, because of the price tag, i wouldnt expect anything more. i dont feel like it is going to break on me anytime soon. i use this with my pink kabuki brush after applying foundation, and im left with a pretty flawless finish!.. i believe im using warm beige and im an NC35 if that helps neone. i tried wearing this alone without foundation, and it is a very very light coverage. so if u want something that will cover shine and for a light dusting after applying foundation, this is for you. if you havent tried this, i highly recommend this for its quality and price tag!

on 6/3/2008 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

OK, I've used this for a few weeks now to give it a fair test and I officially love this stuff. I got recommended this as a dupe for MAC Blot and I am very impressed. It really does instantly blot away any shininess without leaving a powdery finish. Like others have said, the puff it comes with is worthless (toss it) and the packaging is pretty cheap (it doesn't even have a hinge), but for $1.99 it is totally worth those few annoyances for the great product it contains. I got it in translucent and it is perfect for my fair skin but I think someone with medium to dark skin might find it too light.

Oh yeah, I am very acne-prone with dry and sensitive skin and I find this to work great with my complexion; it doesn't irritate or break me out at all, and it has no scent.

on 5/25/2008 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Other

The best pressed powder ever. It helped control my oily skin and doens't settle in fine lines. It doens't even settle into huge pores and blends well. This powder will help control oil and make your makeup last very long. There's no color or smell to this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This review is for NYC Smooth Skin pressed powder in translucent. Excellent, fragrance-free, no frills powder that is light enough not to alter the color of your foundation- a big plus in my book. Does contain dimethicone which seems to make it go on as the name suggests very smoothly- no chalky appearance- no settling into facial lines. I think this color is neutral enough that any fair skinned gal can pull it off. I like this better than all high end powders I have tried.

i just got this today at rite aid for $1.99. it's in a black compact with the words "N.Y.C." on it. the actual powder was pretty good. good coverage, no color, little smell. the only complaint i have about this is that the two halves of the compact is connected by a piece of cheap plastic that is threatening to break any second. (stupid me, i didn't notice the "hinge." i kept flipping it open and close just for the fun of it. i love getting new stuff :].) it controls oil for about 4 hours. it's no biggie, since i can reapply it every 50 minutes (noticed i said CAN, not DO.).

on 4/12/2008 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Packaging is flimsy. Very powdery gets everywhere.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I don't wear foundation or tinted moisturizer, so pressed powder is a very important part of my everyday MU routine. In the past, I have tried Jane, WnW and Clinique. NYC is better than any of them by MILES. I am pretty pale and this evens out my skintone without giving a white cast. I use a kabuki to apply and it goes on beautifully without any mess.

I wish the clamshell design had a hinge instead (just waiting for the day when it snaps apart) but for the price - $1.72 at Target - I'm not arguing. I will repurchase again and again.