New York Color Pressed Translucent Powder

Price: $

Price: $

Talc/Dimethicone/Kaolin/Zinc Stearate/Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate/Cetyl Dimethicone/Imidazolidinyl Urea/Methylparaben/Ethylparaben/Propylparaben/Butylparaben/Isobutylparaben. May Contain Mica/Iron Oxides/Titanium Dioxide

on 8/14/2008 2:21:00 PM

NYC Pressed Powder does exactly what it should do, WITHOUT settling in fine lines the way other pressed powders do. I got mine for 1.75. Granted, the packaging is cheesy, but I usually donít take it with me because I donít need to. I have combo skin, with a little more lean towards dry. If I apply it in the order that I do (see below), it lasts me all day long. It minimizes the look of pores, and dulls down redness on your cheeks. Forget that itís a store brand, I would honestly pick this up over any other brands if all were free. With that said, while the NYC loose powders does its job of toning down oily skin, I wouldnít necessarily combine it with NYC Pressed because the two combined really make the skin look flat. So, I chose the NYC Pressed Powder, and would rather combine that with Mineral Veil from Bare Escentuals. It is really my HG powder now until I could find one thatís just effective as itÖand then wonít cost $45 to achieve.

Avalon Vitamin C SPF moisturizer
Primer (Monistat Chafing Gel)óstill debating if this is it.
Shiseido Concealor Stick to cover below eyes, side of mouth and nose
Apply HyperReal Mac Foundation where needed (or all over for the under skin luminosity)
NYC Pressed Powder in Translucent using my 182 buff brush from MAC
Apply Smashbox suntan matte bronzer in areas that sun would hit using 187 brush or powder brush (this bronzer is perfect since it gives color without shimmer)
Apply blush and contour
Finish off with Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil (doing this after everything literally gives the look like there is a veil over your face. You could see the colors of the blush, but itís almost floating underneath the mineral veil and not just sitting on top of everything.

Ha! This stuff is cheap! Decent powder though. Goes on smooth, doesn't turn my makeup funny colors (I don't pile it on though), and seems to help with oilies. My new makeup (Inspired by Carmindy) doesn't make me oily on my t-zone, so I've mainly been using this stuff on my lids mostly to subdue some shimmer and keep my eyeshadow from creasing. Wet application plus this stuff keeps my eyeshadow lasting all day w/o a primer! I'll definitely keep this on hand.

on 8/7/2008 4:03:00 PM

Blends impeccably and does a great job reducing oiliness, making skin look smoother. It needs to be reapplied fairly often and the plastic case feels cheap, but who cares at that price!

on 7/12/2008 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I am so glad I didn't go spend another 20 bucks on a HE product! This one is cheap and does the job! I have tried a few products that claim to do what this one does and I will never stray from this again! You can't beat it, for two bucks. It seems as if they have revamped a little of thier line so it doesn't seem as cheap/plastic looking. Great buy and keeps the oily's at bay. Would definately recommend!

on 7/11/2008 10:18:00 PM

I'm not going to lie, for about two bucks I wasn't expecting much when I got this, but oddly enough this is probably one of the best powders I've used before. I have very oily skin in the summer and nothing works to clear it up, whether I am wearing foundation beneath or not. I was really happy to see that this 'translucent' powder is just that, so it matches my very fair skin well. Doesn't look cakey, very natural and wears well. In fact, I've started wearing this by itself and I like that enough I might just stick with this from now on. I use a brush to apply this and the pan wears down well/evenly, which is nice. No need to repurchase anytime soon. I don't really mind the packaging since it looks sturdy enough barring I don't try to throw it against a wall or test the strength of the little folded plastic 'hinge'. This product makes me wonder how much it really costs to manufacture make up, since it is so cheap but NYC is still making some kind of profit.

on 7/11/2008 8:14:00 PM

This is my favorite pressed translucent powder. I have tried several others and some that are specifically "blotting powders" which is the purpose I use it for, and I always come back to NYC. The price can't be beat, especially when you can almost always find some place that is having some sort of sale. I keep one in my makeup bag at all times and use this throughout the day after blotting tissues to freshen up my face.

on 7/4/2008 1:29:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

this powder really controls oil and gives you that flawless finish. Im MAC NC20-25 and the color really suits me. It doesn't give you that ghastly look and this came out sheer with pretty coverage. Its fragrance-free and the powder is finely milled. What i dont like is the cheapey sponge that comes with it. And also i wish the compact has a screw on it so that it doesn't break easily. Overall, i really love this! I better get some backup..

on 6/11/2008 11:04:00 PM

well just to add to all the hype.. i totally love this stuff! i was thinking about trying another powder today when i was at the drugstore because im almost out of my NYC one- which ive been using for about 3 months now.. and prob can go a few more weeks... but neways, i was trying to find another powder to use then i was like.. why?? what im using is amazing, it works, doesnt cause me to break out or clog my pores, and its sooo cheap!!!! i am not bothered by the packaging like others have said, because of the price tag, i wouldnt expect anything more. i dont feel like it is going to break on me anytime soon. i use this with my pink kabuki brush after applying foundation, and im left with a pretty flawless finish!.. i believe im using warm beige and im an NC35 if that helps neone. i tried wearing this alone without foundation, and it is a very very light coverage. so if u want something that will cover shine and for a light dusting after applying foundation, this is for you. if you havent tried this, i highly recommend this for its quality and price tag!

on 6/3/2008 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

OK, I've used this for a few weeks now to give it a fair test and I officially love this stuff. I got recommended this as a dupe for MAC Blot and I am very impressed. It really does instantly blot away any shininess without leaving a powdery finish. Like others have said, the puff it comes with is worthless (toss it) and the packaging is pretty cheap (it doesn't even have a hinge), but for $1.99 it is totally worth those few annoyances for the great product it contains. I got it in translucent and it is perfect for my fair skin but I think someone with medium to dark skin might find it too light.

Oh yeah, I am very acne-prone with dry and sensitive skin and I find this to work great with my complexion; it doesn't irritate or break me out at all, and it has no scent.

on 5/25/2008 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Other

The best pressed powder ever. It helped control my oily skin and doens't settle in fine lines. It doens't even settle into huge pores and blends well. This powder will help control oil and make your makeup last very long. There's no color or smell to this product.