September 22, 2014 | 1554 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by Darlingjay23

Good not great. I wanted to love this product, I really did, but being a woman who is on the go for 12+ hours, five days a week, I need a product that will at least surpass 4 hours! I will be returning and just stick to my usual foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I wear this in the colour Light-Medium Sand which is for yellow-toned skin and a perfect match for my NC25 in MAC/Giorgio Armani in 5/Bobbi Brown in Beige skin. I got a sample at Ulta and then got the full-size later.

I have combo skin and this gives a matte finish. I prefer a more luminous finish except at work where I don't have time for touch-ups, therefore it needs to last at least 8 hours without sliding all over the place while looking natural and skin-like. Even though it says this is full-coverage, I like light to medium coverage and sheer this out over moisturiser/mixed with a bit of moisturiser, and then apply a second layer on any areas that need more coverage. This is less dry, creamier and easier to blend than Kat Von D's Lock-It tattoo foundation and has slightly less coverage, which I prefer, although it can be built up. I put this on with a Sephora Airbrush Foundation Brush or Real Techniques face brush, apply blush, then set with a light dusting (t-zone only) of MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural in Medium which gives it a less flat look.

It lasts me through my shifts and I don't have to touch up, not even with powder which is an amazing feat in itself. I love that it doesn't dry out my skin either, doesn't emphasize any dry parts and meshes well with my own skin, it seems to almost "float" on top of skin without settling into pores or fine lines. It did not cake up nor streak/collect in the usual areas like around the nose, etc which almost always happens to me.

I would repurchase - being a fuller coverage product, this gives you a range of options in terms of wearability - can be sheered out with moisturisers, built up for full coverage or layered like a concealer under the eyes. And since I only use a small bit for the whole face the tube will likely last me forever. For a fuller coverage foundation this is also very easy to blend and looks very natural as long as it's used sparingly and where necessary. I don't layer this all over my face so I can't speak to how this would look or feel full-coverage all over. Great option for most skin types, unless you have very dry skin in which case this may be too matte for your skin. I always recommend getting a sample and if you're at Sephora or Ulta - both places can give you a decently sized pot so that you can try it out for yourself before buying.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 6:47:00 PM More reviews by ecwearsmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have bought this foundation many many times. This is my every-day foundation because it does not break out my skin or clog my pores. I have incredibly sensitive, acne-prone skin. Anything I put on my face will break it out. This foundation is different. It sits on top of the skin instead of soaking into my pores and clogging them. Because it sits on the skin, it has an unusual consistency and will take some getting used to. I am still searching for the perfect foundation for special occasions, but for every-day use I will only use this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:30:00 AM More reviews by iluvsushi

I have been hearing great reviews on this Tarte foundation. It's not available in the UK and I was excited to finally purchase it when I recently went on holiday to NY. After a few swatches, I took a wild guess and bought it in "tan-deep sand" which had a yellow undertone and suited my asian skin tone (for ref, I'm between NC35-42). The price was $38 (roughly £23 in GBP) and was obviously cheaper than my fave Chanel Perfection Lumiere foundation. 'Tan-deep Sand' was a close match but for some reason it was either slightly dark or light in some natural/artificial indoor/outdoor lighting areas. I always use a yellow-toned powder to set my foundation and to brighten my face if my foundation was looking more dark. My first impressions was that the squeezable tube packaging was compact but not too small but a perfect size for travelling. Also the formula/consistency was thick with a mousse-like texture. It gives good coverage with one layer but I sometimes like to build two layers if I want more coverage on prominent areas of acne or if I'm having a bad skin day. I normally use a primer beforehand and after applying foundation I like to use a setting powder to make sure the foundation will last longer, esp on my combination/oily skin. In terms of longevity, this is surprisingly as good as my fave Chanel Perfection Lumiere foundation. The only difference is that Chanel's foundation finish is more matte and Tarte's foundation is a semi-matte/satin finish which looks more flattering. I've also noticed that Tarte does a better job at holding on between the 10-12hr mark because it doesn't look as blotchy as Chanel's after I've reached the 10hr mark. Obviously it doesn't look freshly applied in the beginning but it looks like second skin with a glow. To be honest, I have been reaching for the Tarte foundation more often than Chanel's and that's saying something! It feels super lightweight despite the thick mousse texture. You only need a small amount to get decent coverage, it's good for oily/combination skin and will last throughout the day. I've only touched up on my makeup 1-2 times within a day as opposed to 3-4 times in the past. I will suggest to invest in a good oil-free primer beforehand for a long-lasting effect. I wish Tarte was available in the UK (and Europe in general!). I will use this sparingly as I can't order online, unless anyone knows a website that offer international shipping? Overall a wonderful foundation and I can't highly recommend this enough - it does the job and they offer a variety of shades which is very important for a cosmetic company to cater to all. Best coverage foundation I have ever encountered and worth the price.

(EDITED 8/4/2013): I have noticed that "tan-deep sand" is slightly darker on my skin, maybe because the colour of my natural skin tone has changed within the past 6 months since using this. However I will definitely be using this during warmer months when I get tanned. Still a fantastic foundation, which I cannot fault and contains kind ingredients for sensitive skin. Their other foundation, Beyond BB Perfecting Liquid Foundation in "tan" is almost an exact if not a better match for my skin tone. Another great foundation with a natural soft matte finish that gives you a nice glow (good for my combination oily skin as this is an oil-free formula!). Obviously not good if oil control (like most foundations claim to do) but it is long-wearing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Melbot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have had a really hard time finding a good foundation that had everything that I'm looking for. I have splotchy skin and my face is three different colors. I find that this foundation evens out my skin tone and looks natural. It's very lightweight and easy to apply. The color is a little flat for my liking but I fix that with bronzer. Needs to be set with powder, and I recommend using foundation primer. If you're always in a hurry I do not recommend this product because it's one that looks best when a lot if time is out into application. I am satisfied with this product and will be purchasing it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by ann5151

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this foundation. I used the Tarte Airbrush Finish Bamboo Brush to apply the foundation and at first it looked flawless ! However, after about 2 hours my skin became oily and even after numerous touchups it seemed hopeless. I tried it with a primer, without the primer, etc, same results. Also, the shade was a perfect match for me, so it's a shame it didn't work for me. I'll be trying the Urban Decay Naked Sink Liquid Foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by menacexofxvanity

My experience with this wasn't the best. I received a sample of this. I had high expectations because not only did the Sephora consultant rave about it, it looked great on her! But it flaked for me throughout work, even with primer on. I have normal skin, but the consultant said it works great for her oily skin. I would say if you have oily, ace-prone or sensitive skin this would be best for you. If you have dry skin, stay away! But overall try and get a sample before purchasing. It's pretty pricey for an on-the-whim purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by captainkelly

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Definitely my favorite foundation. I think we've covered that its pretty expensive at almost $40, but compared to other foundations it spreads easily so I don't use much each time. The color fits me perfectly and blends in really well. I'll also say that I don't feel like its full coverage, however it does cover a lot of my acne without a setting powder. Best thing about it is that I don't feel it when its on, its pretty lightweight. My face gets really oily during the day and I usually have to blot at school but with this I never get super oily and it doesn't move. Price is a downer, but the product is amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by malibu64

This is a great foundation. A little goes a long way. It is indeed full coverage, though I do still need concealer. Definitely not good for dry skin, as it does soak up oil. For my combination skin, this works well. Definitely need a primer, and for my t-zone, I need to set with Mineral Veil. Not 100% sure I'll repurchase but it is definitely possible. It lasts all day.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Arifishface

No other foundation has given my skin as natural of a finish as this one. It's my go to foundation when recommending products for customers to try. The airbrush finish brush is a MUST for applying this creamy foundation. If I don't set it with powder it does ten to get a little slick but I'm okay with that trade off for all I it's wonderful benefits. The only downside is the price, if I didn't get it discounted for working at a beauty store I'm not sure how inclined I would feel about repurchasing every 2 months but I am absolutely delighted by this product. Always getting compliments on how pretty my skin looks. Even my boyfriend noticed!!