Bobbi Brown Sepia Ink Long Wear Gel Liner

4.5

on 5/13/2004 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Tried to love this BUT it really doesn't last that long. It smudges and irritated my eyes. I'm a contact lens wearer and it's hard for me to find the right liner. I also have oily lids which sucks! Unfortunately I bought the brush to go along with it as well. Oh well.

on 5/7/2004 3:07:00 PM

Looks a little more like dark ash brown in the pot but goes on as a rich black-brown. I love this because it goes on so smoothly with the right brush... pencil liners just snag on my lids :( My lids are slightly oily, so I have to be careful what I use for eyeliner. This liner lasts most the day if I don't rub my contacts! Generally easy removal at the end of the day, though sometimes it's hard to get the last bits that hide between my lashes on the lash line. Haven't noticed the color straying away from where it was applied, so that's a big plus in my book. I can use a variety of brushes, depending on how fine a line I want.

on 5/7/2004 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm not too pleased with the color because I finally realized that I look best in plum/violet eye liner but I still have to give props where props are due. When I line my eyes with this I try to do it very thinly and very close to the lashine. It's not a warm brown color but more of a muddy brown that actually looks very subtle on if application is done well. Love the gel formula because it really is long-wearing but recently regretted the purchase because of the newly released similarly formulated Stila Smudgepots. (For which you get .04 more ounces of product for 2 dollar less) Still, a very unique product that is good for those with oily skin.

on 4/23/2004 1:16:00 AM

I finally decided to try this after reading and re-reading reviews...I really was hoping this would work for me, but {sigh}, I seem to fall into the minority category of gals whose hopes were dashed. No doubt, the gel liner goes on very smoothly, esp. with the nice (and costly) brush and the result is very pretty. However, this liner creased and smudged on me after 2 hours, so it hasn't proved to be better than my pencil. Oh I'll still continue to use it b/c I paid so dearly for it & the brush and I have to use it to assuage the guilt I have of spending $40 for both! I'm going to get some concealer & try the concealer, powder then liner method to see if if stays longer. Will update later.
Update 9-04: I'm resigned to the fact that my lids are naturally oily & will not let any liner stay on very long! I've even primed with base/eyeshadow/powder - with the powder, the liner last 4 hours tops. Sigh.... Update 5/28/06 I started using this again a few months ago and found that if I use it over concealer and eyeshadow, it'll last a few hours. However, today I tried it for the first time over Urban Decay Primer potion and it last 13 hours (see review for UDPP)!! I'm always careful with capping the jar so my product has not dried out at all, and although the BB eyeliner brush draws hated reviews, I've used it very successfully to draw a pretty line. It has a couple of stray hairs, but nothing I can't live with.

on 4/20/2004 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this smudged on me! i have oily lids and i used almay amazing lasting concealer as a base and also tried benefit FYEye as a base but the BB eyeliner still smudged. would not repurchase especially since it cost almost $30CAD after taxes.

OMG!!! This is THE best eyeliner I've ever used. I'm too "mature" to wear a liquid eyeliner, pencils are too difficult to apply and wear off after a couple of hours. But BB gel can be smudged on with the BB brush (great brush - you need to buy it, too) and it stays on all day! I even smudge it under & between my lashes and I can't believe the difference it makes! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE BB gel eyeliner!!!

on 4/13/2004 1:07:00 PM

I have tried many so-called "waterproof" eye liners and have been disappointed by the their performance because they simply can't compete with my oily lids that will ultimately smear the stuff all over my lids - you know the look! I was reluctant with this product only because of the difficulty in it's application with the brush (which you need!), but I have to say, I am very happy! With practice you too can do it and you will be nothing but thrilled with the long-lasting coverage with no mixing of the product with your oily lids! It will only come off when you want it to - with remover. A bit on the expensive side, but there's nothing else out there competing with it - so BB has done it again - a great product that will always be part of my daily routine!

on 4/4/2004 2:57:00 PM

I own all of the gel liners except black. I am fair skinned with blonde hair and I don't usually go for true black in mascara or liner, it's too harsh. These liners are all very dark and work out perfectly for me. I like Sepia Ink for everyday wear. It's softer than Granite Ink (which I also adore, it's just a different color) and often I will just line my eyes really close and into my lash line with mascara for a simple everyday look. Sepia also is perfect for "earthy" colored shadows like brown and greens. The one liner I don't have yet, but it's on the way, is Bronze Shimmer. I just had to have it for my 35th birthday present to myself and I paid an exhorbitant amount on Ebay for it. As soon as I get it I will review it. I hope it is as spectacular as the other reviewers have said it is for the money I paid! :-) But anyway, in my review for Hunter Ink I describe how I use the BB liner brush. It took me a while to get the hang of it to create the right thickness of line. If you are interested in the info, check out my review of Hunter Ink.

on 4/4/2004 8:12:00 AM

What else can I say about this product except the fact that it's awesome?! I went to the counter, all ready to get it in Violet instead, wanting a more funky color but the counter was out of Violet and the MA suggested that I get Sepia and exchange it for Violet later so I could take advantage of the GWP. After hesitating, I decided to get Sepia and promised myself not to touch it until I exchanged it for Violet next week - however, the temptation was too irrestible and I decided to try a thin line on my lids. Man oh man, it was gorgeous! Less dramatic and more natural that Black, it was definitely worth keeping. Now to talk myself out of getting Violet . . .

on 4/4/2004 12:12:00 AM

After reading the reviews here, I decided to give this a try. And I am so glad I did! I tried it with the MAC 210 brush and got amazing results. Goes on very easy, lots of control with the brush. I believe I have found my HG of eyeliners.