Almay Non-Oily Eye Makeup Remover Pads

3.6

Aqua (Water) (Water, Eau), Poloxamer 184, Butylene Glycol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativa (Cucumber) Fruit Extract (Cucumber), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol 12-29-2010

on 12/28/2009 2:28:00 AM

PROS: Not oily. Works great for me. Doesn't hurt my eyes. Leaves a slight moisture (watery consistency) for just a moment on my eyes, but dries on its own if left. No film at all left on my eye.

CONS: There aren't any for me, except when I need to remove waterproof mascara. For how I do that, see bottom part of my review.

USAGE TIPS: If the pads don't seem to have enough product on them, just turn the container upside down for a night or two and it will even out.

ALTERNATES: Paula's Choice makeup remover removes my waterproof mascara better than anything else I've tried. (Well, I've had some that work almost as well, but they burn the hell out of my eyes or leave an oily film.)

****Those calling these oily must be speaking of the "moisturizing" version that must be better for waterproof mascara. But they are oily. I don't like them.****

on 12/27/2009 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This makeup remover quickly removes all my eye makeup. If I am just wearing mascara, (Tarte- Lights, Cameras, Lashes) and only one color of eyeshadow without primer I can use one pad for both my eyes and remove all the makeup. For a look with lots more color and makeup, one pad per eye works well. There is no greasy residue, but it does make my eye area feel a little sticky, but that can be taken care of when I wash my face. Overall I like the product formula but would love for it to be in a bottle rather then in a pad, I think it would last a lot longer and I could decide how much product I want to use based on how much makeup I have on. I wouldn't buy again, but I will definitely use it all up! If you like the convience to the product being predispensed on the pad then it's for you!
Edit: Been using this a lot, I got it as a stocking stuffer, and lately it has been making eyes burn. Don't like it too much after that!

on 12/25/2009 12:42:00 AM

I love these! Have been using them for years and years. I don't wear waterproof makeup because I don't really need it and it's such a hassle to get off so I don't know how it would work with waterproof, but with non-waterproof it works pretty well. I load up my lashes with mascara so there is usually some left over after I take off my makeup and in the morning I have slight raccoon eyes, but it's easily fixed with a few wipes with a clean pad under each eye. It's so minimal that I don't even toss the pad; I stick it back in the tub and use it that night to remove everything and it works just fine. I wear contacts and they work just fine with them. There are probably more effective products out there but these pads are so convenient and gentle on my eyes and they serve their purpose well enough, and I like the price too so I will continue buying them until (heaven forbid) they're discontinued. But beware! I decided to try to moisturizing pads once and they SUCK - they may have moisturized my eyes but they left such a horrible residue of oil that it was not worth it at all! I used them for a week or two hoping I'd get used to them but I didn't and just ended up tossing them.

on 12/13/2009 12:23:00 AM

This is a great concept, and you'd think it would be a very convenient product. (Eyemakeup remover already on the pad! Save yourself an extra step!) The problem is that the formulation just doesn't work. Upon opening the jar, you get a very strong whiff of what smells like nail polish remover, or alcohol. At any rate, it's very strong smelling. The pads are super thin, so it's not easy to just take one pad out at a time. But best to hold on to any extras you might pull out...you'll need them for later. In fact, it took me approximately three pads PER EYE to get 75% of my eye makeup off. That was with pulling, rubbing and generally irritating the eye area, mind you. And the next morning I had loads of mascara under my eyes like a raccoon. For a long time I thought this was the best remover on the market because some people just love this stuff, so I dutifully stuck with it. Then I heard about Rimmel eye makeup remover, and while not perfect, it beats the Almay hands down.
I promptly threw the rest of my Almay jar away.
I'd probably have had better luck not using any eye makeup remover at all. At least I wouldn't have irritated my delicate eye area trying to make the Almay work!

on 11/26/2009 3:13:00 PM

I always have some of this in reserve. Have used it for years and years.

It's a good product, and takes off even stubborn eye makeup pretty well.

My complaint is that as I've gotten older, I find it too drying. Too drying on the skin around my eye, too drying on my lashes.

After using it, my eyes look about ten years older, the resiliency in my eye area significantly diminished. Not something I need on any level, including self-esteem.

Very inexpensive, but at this point, I have to go to Lancome's Bi-Facil to get rid of eye makeup. The oil keeps me from aging 10 plus years in less than 60 seconds.

Will slowly use up the two containers I have in reserve, over time. Probably not repurchase any more, and think that women over 40 might want to consider other alternatives.

on 11/1/2009 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Like both the moisturizing and the oil free pads for makeup removal, the oil free pads are great for fixing makeup errors while the moisturizing I love for taking my makeup off at nite!

on 10/31/2009 5:34:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I have been using these since they were introduced - YEARS ago. I go through phases when I want to try something new and I always come back to these. The opaque plastic jar contains very thin but sturdy cotton swipes that are already moistened with a non-oily liquid that takes the toughest eye makeup off. Even with heavy eye makeup on I only use 1 per eye and I never feel like I am wasting anything They never make my skin dry (I tend to have dry skin in the winter) and no oil to migrate into my eyes (I read after going to bed). The only problem I have ever had is after nearing the bottom of the jar they can dry out some. I just dab them with water to re-moisten or you can buy the liquid separately and add a little to the jar. I am a bargain hunting girl and feel these are worth every penny spent!

on 10/31/2009 5:12:00 PM

my mom told me to try these and I'm happy I did. Gone are the days of liquid remover and cotton balls, or the wipes that are just too much and too expensive. These are perfect. Depending on how much eye makeup you have on, you may need more then one. I do find that one per eye does the trick for me, even if I'm wearing waterproof liner.

on 10/27/2009 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I do like this product, but i modify what it is intended for. I dont think it works that well as an all over eye makeup remover. It really doesnt work on waterproof mascaras and liners. But what i do love it for is when after you've washed your face or just after a long day and you look in the mirror and say ACK, how did that get down there (meaning under your eyes), a little wipe away and either reapply concealer, power, etc or after the shower to wipe off anything missed in the washing. It's extremely delicate on my sensitive skin and i can wipe right up to my lashline without having issue. Beware of confusing this with the makeup remover that does contain oil though! I made that mistake and what a mess!

on 10/15/2009 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I once bought an eye makeup remover that gave me an eye infection, so I've only used creams (which don't work well on waterproof makeup) since. I decided to try these pads, and they work! I have to sometimes use more than one to get rid of heavier applications or waterproof mascara or liquid liner, but I haven't had too many problems, and I have very sensitive eyes. I take off my contacts before removing makeup, and there is very little stinging. When I don't wear contacts, I don't get stinging at all. I also have the bottle oil-free remover, which works just as well, and for small touch-ups with a Q-tip.
Edit: I'm now daily using the Shu Uemura cleansing oils to remove all makeup now, but I still buy and keep this around for touch-ups and mistakes; it's still a good makeup remover.
Edit #2: I had to drop a lippie because I started using some great waterproof eyeliners, and this did not get it off at all.