November 28, 2014 | 1920 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 7:14:00 PM More reviews by darkopacity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great foundation for the summer! I bought this originally just for the spf as most liquid/lotion sunscreens have fragrance and other things that irritate my skin. I have fair-medium Asian skin and I bought this in Natural Beige. Don't be fooled by how light the product is in the pan. It applies about one shade darker on skin than what it looks like in the pan. The sponge applicator it comes with is useless to me and applies the product splotchy. I get a better even coverage with a kabuki brush. I think next time I will have to buy this in a lighter shade (Translucent Medium) because I have to apply this (Natural Beige) lightly on my face. Too much will just give me a slightly orange cast on my skin (not as bad as their Mineral Powder Foundation that would oxidize on my face whenever I would sweat :-P).

This does keep my face matte and the it has medium coverage. I use this on top of concealer and it sets everything in place. I have dry eczematic skin so I heavily moisturize before putting this on. I highly recommend this for those hot summer days :-).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by shannon02013

I am in love with this powder. I got it in translucent light and it feels really light on my skin. Being as pale as I am, I'm attracted to anything with SPF. I can't say how strong the SPF actually is in this because all my products that I wear this with have SPF (moisturizer has spf 30, primer has spf 50, foundation has spf 15, and this has spf 50). I don't get sunburn when wearing what I just mentioned, so it does work cause I burn really easily. This powder has very minimal coverage so I would definitely recommend using at least a tinted moisturizer under it if you want flawless looking skin. I have oily skin and it does help keep it matte, but not as much as a "blot" or "mattifying" powder would. Don't forget though if you are planning on using this as sun screen, you have to reapply every 2 or 3 hours.

Oh and I also forgot to mention how much I love this packaging. It is so adorable!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2010 10:59:00 PM More reviews by SteffStarrr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I think that this is mostly a really great product. The color selection is horrid, as is with most PF products, but Creamy Beige is a pretty good match for my NC30-35 skin. If I layer a lot of it on, you can see that it's a little too pink for more asian skin, but I usually don't wear that much. Now that I'm tanner, this is also a little too light and I have to darken it with bronzer.

However, I really love the coverage of this foundation. I use Sonia Kashuk's flat top brush or a kabuki, and it covers a lot of my redness and evens out my skin tone. It's not enough to cover up my acne, but it has a good coverage anyway. The SPF is also really nice. It's great if I don't have the time to wait for my sun screen to soak in in the morning.

Since i have very oily skin, I really like the matte finish of this foundation. However, it doesn't last for long. I only stay matte for about three hours before I start getting oily again. This is kind of disappointing since I heard raves about this keeping oilies at bay for hours.

Still, it's a good foundation for the SPF and the convenience, and unless I find something better, I would buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2010 2:22:00 AM More reviews by EIGNA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm loving this powder foundation on the ultra hot humid summer days we've been having her in Tx. I love that it boosts the spf power of my daily moisturizer. I wear this in translucent light and it provides light coverage over my concealer. Lasts all day with maybe only 1 or 2 blots in the afternoon or evening. Sponge is house in a separate pan underneath the foundation which I like best, though I don't really use the sponge unless I'm touching up which is not often. Mostly I just buff this on with my beloved Too Faced Kabuki Brush. Definite rebuy

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2010 4:54:00 PM More reviews by hyeonjlee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

UPDATE: somebody asked me whether I still like it. Here is my input:

I still like PF Healthy Wear very much. I don't think I will ever use anything else.

Even without the sun protection, it is fantastic as a powder foundation. What I like most is, after repeated reapplication, it does not look cakey at all. At the end of the day after multiple retouching and reapplication, it still gives me soft, matted, natural look.

All the other powder foundations used to look horrible after I perspire (I perspire easily). And, when I retouch after perspiration, it still looks unnatural. In some cases, when I sweat, the whole powder foundation layer will rise and it was pretty bad.

With this product, when I sweat, the makeup will look a little unnatural but when I reapply, my face looks flawless and natural again.

Also, when I use moisturizer or other creams before other powder foundations, sometimes it all look really tacky and cakey. With this product, even over a rather rich cream and other skin care products, the finished look of my skin is very natural and softly matted.

I read comments saying it does not provide enough coverage. Well, if you apply multiple layers, it will cover all imperfections: you just need to use it a little more. Unlike other products, you don't look overly made up even if you use if over and over again.

So those of us who wear makeup, and can't just reapply sun protection every two hours as they recommend because it ruins the makeup, this is a god send. Sunscreen you can reapply many times throughout the day without ruining make up!

In terms of price, yes, as a drug store product, it's a bit pricey, BUT I used to use Jane Iredale pressed powder, which is about 3-4 times the price of this product, and this is FAR better than Jane Iredale both in terms of sun protection and not making me look all chalky and cakey at the end of the day after several touchups and reapplication. (even so, Jane Iredale was much better than other products). Jane Iredale just lost a very loyal customer.

************ original post *******************

this is the BEST pressed powder foundation EVER! Initially, I was attracted to it because of the high SPF with physical ingredients (I stopped using chemically based sunblock all together).

When you need to reapply sun screen through out the day, the only form of sunscreen that works for women who wear makeup is either powder version or pressed powder foundation that contains sunscreen.

The drawback is, if you reapply pressed powder foundation multiple times a day, it can get really cakey by the end of the day.

WOW, this is the ONLY pressed powder foundation that I tried (and I tried MANY) that did NOT become cakey after multiple reapplications at the end of the day. And, SPF 50 with 21% of Titanium Dioxide is truly awesome.

I am so glad that I found this. I will never use anything else. I hope they don't ever discontinue this line.

There are two things I want changed in this product.

(1) I would like to see the balance of Titanium Dioxide (21%) and Zinc Oxide (4%) reversed. I am a sunscreen fanatic, and everything I read told me that Zinc Oxide is much better at screening out harmful UVA than Titanium Dioxide. Note that it's UVA that does most of the sun-exposure related skin aging.

Because this product's suncreen is mostly based on Titanium Dioxide, I am still wearing a liquid form of physical sun screen with Zinc Oxide as a main active ingredient underneath it.

(2) the applicator is terrible. It's a rather inflexible, hard sponge. It does not go smoothly over non flat surface. I immediately discarded the sponge that came with the product, and replaced it with a soft, flexible cosmetic puff.

(3) BE AWARE OF the color. On skin, it's actually MUCH DARKER than it seems. I bought creamy beige because it most closely resembled the color of other pressed powder foundation I used to use. It was SO dark on my skin!!! In the end, I had to go for the lightest one they have: translucent light, and I am an Asian with a fair/medium skin tone. I don't know how the really light skinned Caucasian women can find the right one.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2010 12:29:00 PM More reviews by mulhollanddrive

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received this in a swap. Translucent Medium is a decent match for Studiofix Powder C3 skin. Love the sunscreen in it but this is chalky when applied. Coverage is almost non-existent. It felt scratchy on my skin and I will only use this for beach trips. After reading the good reviews I had expected more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by Ravey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

oh my mixed feelings. i love that this is a high spf powder (the foundation i was previously using had no spf and sunscreens never work well on my skin, so i though this was genius in that respect) but WOW could this be more drying and chalky looking? i found i could only wear this really lightly dusted on top of my other powder, and then i figure the spf probably isn't even doing anything. the packaging is also annoying (the middle compartment doesnt stay down when i open it, and as if i'm gonna use that sponge thing at the bottom) but it looks cute i guess. whatevs. i have a foundation with spf 20 now, so me and this powder are breaking up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 9:36:00 PM More reviews by checotah44

This is the best powder foundation ever made and I've tried them all.!!!!I've tried Clinique, every drug store foundation out there, Lancome, MAC and even Laura Mercier!!! This one beats them all. I will tell you why. It goes on like a powder but the finish is like nothign I've experienced in a powder...it appears as if you arent wearing anything....meaning it covers but no cakiness and no powdery look to it...its AMAZING!! The colors appear lighter (in the package) than when applied. I purchased the medium transluscent which is probably about an NC 25 or NC 30 (maybe). It lasts through humidity and sweat and does not oxidize What is odd is that you can use it for touch ups and it never looks cakey!!!! I dont know how they made this foundatinon or why its different that all the rest, but it is!!!!! It also seems to control oil. I always have to blot during the day but now I can almost get away with not blotting....I just can't say enough about this foundation. We all need to spread the word so that more people know about this product because if they stop making it, I wont know what to do as I'm 46 and finally found my HG and they just can never stop making it. I'm not one who uses Physician Formula's products much so I was pleasantly suprised. It cost about $12.00 and I got the bronzer free with purchase. Not sure on the bronzer or if I like it yet as I think it might enhance my pores. I moisturize and use Avon's primer (one of the best and I've tried many plus its only $7.00) dust the foundation on lighly with a brush and then use a covergirl puff to apply for more coverage. You could apply a ton of this on your face and you STILL would look natural.....its the oddest thing. I find the covergirl puffs (that you can buy in a package of 3) glide on more smoothly than sponges and are less pore enhancing than the sponges. Gals. Try this foundation. Just remember the colors appear much lighter in the packaging. I have oily skin in my t zone and this really helps keep that in check but the biggest bonus is the totally natural/semi matt finish it gives. I've never experienced this type of natural coverage with any liquid, cream or powder foundation EVER. But what is nice is that it also lasts!!!!!!!!! Please try it. Its AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I;ve used it over covergirl simply ageless foundation which is my favorite non powder foundation and it worked well with that too but when I use it alone, it covers and doesnt enhance pores or lines and I think I look years younger becuase I dont "Look" like I have any make up on...Its THAT good...(but it covers)....try it gals. I dont think you will be disappointed.

UPDATE: Have they discontinued this?????????

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2010 1:43:00 PM More reviews by RingofFire

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It seems fine for extra protection from the sun but I am not totally sure its great for acne prone skin, perhaps its the titanium dioxide which in enough amounts can promote pimples in some people. Got a few added pimples and usually just break out once a month (TOM) I got the translucent in Light and works okay if you apply in layers for evening out complexion, otherwise I would get the more opaque shade in buff or medium.
Not much for controlling shine, I had shine break though on my forehead & nose within the hour. I was hoping for a product that did it all. Right now will use it on the more non breakout prone areas of my face like the cheek and around the eye as a added protection (even though it says on the package not to get it close to the eyes but thats where I need protection most) I am skeptical about this being waterproof. How can that be? I like the packaging the orange makes it easy to find in a purse and there is a separate compartment for the
sponge. Its better applied with a kabuki foundation brush UPDATE. I am slowly changing my mind tho I still like my usual mineral foundation for coverage this is becoming a go to when traveling or I am in a hurry. Just got the Natural Beige and its working for me as all over fast coverage. Its a nice alternative to greasy sunscreen and does give my face some added color without a fake bronzer look or making it look dirty. I am NC20/Light med(and have yellow undertones) for most of the year. The translucent shade is better around the eyes since it is lighter. Breakout s must have been related to something else as my skin is clearing up & nearly breakout free now *knocks on wood*. I would give it 3 and a half lips. The retail price is around 12.99 (Target)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by JDPublicist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this product! Doesn't break me out, adds a little more coverage, and makes me feel well-protected. Titanium and Zinc Oxide are the best sunscreen ingredients to use for full protection. I uses this as a setting powder every day!

The sponge didn't seem to work so well, however. So I use a kabuki brush with it, to make sure the product is evenly distributed on my entire face. Works great that way!