NARS Sheer Matte

3.2

Water, Phenyl Trimethicone, Triethylhexanoin, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Dipropylene Glycol, Silica, Talc, Dimethicone, PEG-5 Glyceryl Stearate, Isostearic Acid, Bentonite, Stearic Acid, Behenic Acid, Batyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate SE, 1-Methyhydantoin-2-imide, Behenyl Alcohol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Potassium Hydroxide, Cellulose Gum, Ethylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Serralysin, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Trisodium EDTA, Glucosyl Hesperidin, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

I love this foundation and I hate this foundation... It frustrates me.

Pros:
First EXACT match to my skin tone. Their colour range is AMAZING.

It lasts on me all day with barely any touch ups. Doesn't keep me perfectly matte all day, but I end up with a nice dewy/glowy look.

Cons:
Difficult to blend and tends to look cakey.

Looks heavy without covering much.

All in all I won't repurchase this, but I am happy enough to use the whole bottle. It's too bad because I'm really happy with the colour match. (NC15/Gobi for reference).

on 12/5/2011 2:02:00 AM

under impression, i heard a lot of good review on this one but it was not that good on my skin at all!!!!! it is so light and not smooth at all. And color rage is not suit for me

on 11/21/2011 7:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Edited from my original review. I liked it the first two times I used it and gave it 4 stars, but I've tried it twice since (and then looked at it in MUCH better lighting than the first times) and have found it to get blotchy really easily and cake around certain parts of my face, probably because it dries so quickly and is so difficult to blend. It didn't mattify at all and my face got oily quickly (this is with NARS powder on top and MUFE primer below). The two stars go for the color range, Siberia in both the powder and the liquid foundation were perfect for my skin tone.

on 11/17/2011 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Like a lot of women, I was under the impression that NARS could do no wrong but no matter what I do I can't make this foundation work for me.
Although the lightest shade Siberia is a perfect match for me, which is always half the battle for me when I'm looking for a foundation, the coverage is minimal.
It seems to accentuate my acne scars and blemishes rather than covering them. It dries quickly and that makes it nearly impossible to blend properly or build evenly to achieve the coverage I'm looking for.
The staying power is awful. No matter how many primers I've tried (I've bought four different primers in four or five months hoping it would help) it looks cakey and uneven within a few hours, even with MAC MSF and setting spray overtop.
Worst of all, I'm fairly certain it's responsible for my sudden bad skin. I never had such bad acne or dry skin previous to using this. At first I had blamed it on stress, diet, hormones etc. but now I'm sure it has to be this foundation that's breaking me out.
I'm deeply disappointed in this product, especially since I paid so much for it, $55 CDN. I've started searching for a new foundation and probably won't even finish this bottle.

on 11/17/2011 4:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Love the consistency of this product but it does not cover up any dark acne scars at all. I have oily acne prone skin and never broke out from this product, however it only stays matte for 2 hrs MAX before sliding off face even with PRIMER

on 11/17/2011 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is a good foundation for layering as well as achieving an even skin tone. However, it must be used with a primer as the sheer matte finish does not hide dark blemishes as well as it does with reddish blemishes. I currently use the NARS Sheer Matte in Syracuse and I love the lightness of the product. For my skin type, it evens out the blemishes without appearing too cakey like a lot of effective foundations. It is not very good with soft brush application nor with hand, as the color is harder to blend with lesser amounts and wider coverage but once that step is over, you will realize how it was worth it! The pump could be a little better but then again it's foundation. You don't apply it with the packaging at least! Also, I am picky with foundation so even this pretty good product is not perfect in my book.

on 11/13/2011 2:41:00 AM

ive been using this for about a week now switching between punjab and sante fe (im a nc25-nc30 in mac)i havent commited to buying yet and have just been using samples.
nars is very pricey this foundation goes for $99 in australia!

texture:matte , can look flat on the skin so use highlighters and blush to create shape

how it applies: yes it dries quick BUT use a primer to give it more slip around , a duo fiber brush works great with a spray of fix + start in the center of the face in circular motions going outwards.less is more

coverage: sheer - medium , not see through sheer though. again less is more or apply in thin layers

overall: i liked it! i dont think ill buy it in aus coz of the price but i do love the colours nars offer , more yellow based not so hammy and pink! work quickly with it, dont use fingers or a sponge it will be to cakey. for a little more coverage use mac care blend powder to set and it looks gorgeous.its a foundation that evens u out without looking mask like.i had no balling or flaking but found it does sit in my pores with no primer so do apply one thinly first!

on 11/11/2011 4:48:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

1. Packaging - Doesn't come with a pump. It's just a glass bottle that you have to tip over and jostle to get the product out. Totally unhygienic. For the price, I would expect at least a pump but you have to buy it separately. The cap has a similar texture to other NARS packaging. Total fail.

2. Shade - I was matched with Santa Fe, for reference I'm NC 30 with a strong yellow/olive undertone. At the NARS counter surrounded by bright white and yellow lighting it's a perfect match. Outside it seems a little to pink for my taste. But then again there are very few little foundations that actually match my skin perfectly without adding some sort of green base to adjust the undertone of my foundation. And looking at the counter they do have a wide variety of shades that would suit a wide variety of women so that's a plus.

3. Coverage & Finish - As the name implies it's sheer, so I didn't expect any sort of coverage. It just slightly evened out my skin. And as the name says, it's matte, so it does provide a matte finish - but sheerly, because most of your skin will show through.

4. Price - It's expensive. Disappointingly so. In my area this is as expensive as Lunasol and more expensive than Shu Uemura, but those two products deliver more for the buck as compared to NARS Sheer Matte.

Verdict: This is appropriate for women with oily skin and who's into a no makeup makeup look. As NARS Sheer Matte provides a lightweight coverage with mattifying properties. Even if it's matte, it doesn't photograph well, because it doesn't provide any significant coverage. You will still need a lot of concealer to cover spots so if you need more coverage this is not for you.

on 10/11/2011 1:11:00 PM

I love Nars Sheer Matte, it's the perfect foundation for my oily skin. It stays matte, but also gives a nice natural glow. I'm really happy that they have a nice light shade that matches my skin tone well because I find it hard to get a good match with high end foundations. Definitely re-purchasing, I LOVE this foundation.

on 10/11/2011 2:54:00 AM

To my mind, this is about all you can ask for in a foundation. But first, a little background. I'm a guy and for years I've used just a bit of powder and concealer. But as I've gotten older (I'm 43 now) I've needed more and more of both. I realized I was concealing much of my face, and powder was leaving the lower part of my face dry looking.
I thought maybe a tinted moisturizer would be the answer. But of the several I tried, all left me with that creepy "face gloss" look that seems to be unavoidable when using products with a lot of minerals/mineral-based SPF. Reluctantly, I decided to tip my toe in to the heroin of makeup- foundation.
I first tried 2 from MAC but the coverage was so opaque I tossed the samples, hit up the Chanel counter, and tried Perfection Lumiere (which I've also reviewed) and AquaLumiere (which was a mess!). Then, a discovery...
I tried out Nars SM Foundation at Sephora. The artist who helped me was awesome. We quickly determined that Barcelona was the color that would give me the effect I wanted, and she sent me on my way with a huge sample.
This blends very easily and is designed to be applied with the fingertips, so no investing in a pricey brush. The coverage is absolutely traceless, but covered my red patches, reduced my dark circles enough that I no longer bother with concealer, and maintained a natural matte appearance all day. It's not called a long-wear product but I've been getting 10 hours out of it easily. I've also tried a bit of powder on top of it, and while I think it would be fine on a girl it's too much for me.
Now, I will say it's ridiculous that they don't put a pump on it, or at least enclose one with the bottle. And to make them harder to get a hold of than plutonium is just dumb. Luckily, Barney's had just received a shipment and by happenstance I asked about them so I plunked down another 6 bucks and got my pump.
To summarize, this foundation provides surprising coverage that is so traceless even a guy can use it. It did nothing "bad" to my skin, lasts all day with a natural matte finish and minimal transfer, and washes off easily. They just need to do something about the bottle/pump issue!