July 29, 2014 | 1995 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by devrim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm glad I purchased just the tiniest amount possible. I don't think this is an outstanding product as a face scrub. Besides, the application is so messy that I just avoid using it. No matter how careful I try (I'm not a clumsy person at all), it stains my arms and my sink black. It's not like you can't wash it out, but I hate seing black tracks down to my elbows. Otherwise, it leaves my skin soft just like any other scrub would do but with a big price difference.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2010 8:34:00 AM More reviews by candybunny88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i waited the longest time to review this product as i have been kinda on the fence about it. i went through a phase where i was obsessed with lush products and tried to try as many as possible. i soon came to the realisation that lush products are actually nothing special and do very little for how ridiculously much they cost, i mean 98bucks per kg for soaps is just plain crazy especially when the soaps do nothing special and the scents dont even linger. in terms of the scrub itself, it was pretty pricey (18bucks for 100g) but is lasting a long time (although i would expect most drug store face scrubs that are cheaper to last pretty much just as long, plus you normally get 150ml). it is a decent face scrub (its quite scrubby which i like) and is definately fine to use daily. it works well but doesnt seem to do anything that a cheaper face scrub woulnt do but is still overall a nice face scrub. i like the smell and the way it works but dont think i will repurchase but who knows!

just a word of advise to those who are super hooked on lush products, unless you are hyper-sensitive or really into the whole organic thing, there are cheaper dupes to be found everywhere that work just as well if not better than most lush products. its not even preservative free...eg the mint mask they carry could be easily duped with queen helene mint julep mask, dark angels could be duped by most anti-spots exfoliaters...the list goes on....so save your money i say....

edit: after using up all that i had i went back to my good old garnier anti-blackhead scrub and seriously the garnier one is so much better despite the fact its cheaper! i dont think dark angel ever worked that awesomely for me i just kept telling myself that it did because i really wanted to like it and i was trying to justify the spending. i still have coalface and im planning on taking it with me on holiday at the end of the year but i think i will give dark angel the miss from now on

edit no.2: the whole time I was using dark angels I always had one or two spots here and there despite the fact that I was never one to get spots (touch wood) unless its that time of the month. Ever since i stopped using it and went back to my good-old garnier scrub my face has cleared up and everytime i try to bring dark angels back into my routine (just for the sake of using up the remaining product) i get spots. So yeah now i've learnt and would probably never touch what is left in the pot...

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2010 12:37:00 AM More reviews by thebobcat64

I got a small sample of this and it lasted me a long time. When I went back to buy it this summer, they were out of it because they didn't have one of the ingredients. Luckily I found it when I went back this weekend. It exfoliates nicely and leaves my skin clear.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2010 8:10:00 PM More reviews by luna83me

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

Whoa! How is this a cleanser?? More like mega exfoliator! This cleans like nothing else. However the exfoliating part is as harsh or gentle as you want it to be depending on how hard you scrub. But the charcoal gets right into your pores regardless of scrubbing action so you get a really excellent cleanout without this product. Having said that you really could just buy activated charcoal from a health food store and have the same result. But with even more mess... Yes. This is extraordinarily messy. But it's a small price to pay for such fresh feeling skin.

I have sensitive skin so would definitely not be using this day and night, everyday as a cleanser! I'm surprised. I only use this once to twice a week as an exfoliant before applying a mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by MissChels

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin changes like the leaves on a tree. Every season it is something different. I started using LUSH Cleansers about 6 months ago. I started off with Angel's On Bare Skin, the Herbalism, and now I also use Dark Angels.
So now I use Herbalism and Dark Angels. I switch them up all the time just depending on how my face feels.
The Dark Angels has been a godsend to me. It makes my skin feel and look so incredible! It is very exfoliating and gets rid of all my dull skin.
I can literally look in the mirror and think I look half dead and then after I use this I look completely refreshed and awake.
It is a black cleanser and can make a mess when you use it but it wipes away easily.
I don't always like the containers it comes in. Sometimes they give it to me in a box so I bring it home and put it in either a small plastic container or a glass jar. (Empty baby food jars are GREAT for storing LUSH cleansers!).
It is $10.95 for 3.5 oz of product. I go to LUSH and ask for $5 worth of product and it lasts me at least a month. You only need a small bit when you use it. I take just a little and put a couple drops of water in my palm and scrub my face.
It has a pleasant smell and is not overwhelming in the slightest IMO.
So I love this product and I think the price is pretty fair especially since it lasts so long and does such a fantastic job.
Just for reference I have normal-oily skin and this with the mixture of my other face products has really kept my skin in check and my face has never felt/looked better!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by mimosaorminnie

Let me start of by telling you that I have horrible combination skin.. super oily everywhere, but dry around my mouth, and pimples here and there. Dark Angels is the first LUSH product I have tried and this exfoliater/cleanser, after using it twice, has already started to clear up the cystic acne on my cheeks and jawline. I am so impressed by how clean my face feels. I only use a dime size portion of it, since it goes a long way.. one of the reasons why its not too pricey for me. I would recommend using this product every other day, depending on your level of sensitivity. I will definitely be purchasing this if I ever run out!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2010 8:20:00 PM More reviews by tori8780

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This would probably work best for someone with oily skin that isnt sensitive. I have sensitive combo skin and this is a bit much for me. I can only use it about once a week. It does make my skin really soft and glow-y though. Sometimes it leaves a nasty blackish residue on my skin if I dont rinse it well enough.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/31/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by roobster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this product broke me out like crazy.i can say this because everytime i used this it broke me out.i finished the tub but for such a pricy product its not worth it.i would suggest to sample it as lots of MUA's do love this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2010 11:51:00 PM More reviews by KittyRoseGunn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this! I went and bought this after I used a couple of the face masks (Cosmetic Warrior and Love Lettuce) and think this is the best exfoliator I have ever used. I have a very oily and flaky T-zone and this gets rid of all the flakiness without over drying. I have never used anything better!! My only complaint is that because of the colour it can leave a ring in the sink but it is good in one way because I manage to get every speck of it off my face because I can see it. I have since replaced all of my old cleansers and exfoliators because they never seemed to scrub enough. Not to say that this has been harsh on my skin, but for very sensitive skin this may irritate. Also, I did get lazy for a couple of days and didn't use any of my face stuff and noticed I got more blackheads, existing ones are larger and my skin was no longer nearly as smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 3:35:00 PM More reviews by gatuzm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

A little background on my skin. Combination, break-outs here and there, but I wouldn't necessarily say its sensitive. Oily t-zones, and just normal everywhere else.

At first, I had wanted to get AOBS, seeing as the weather is getting colder, I thought I might need the moisture, but the sales lady had recommended this to me based on my skin type. This is definently NOT meant for people with sensitive skin. I myself don't have a problem with exfoliants as I've tried many, and none have seemed to irritate my skin in a harsh way. But for people with sensitive skin, steer clear, cause unless your skin can handle exfoliation well, this won't work for you.

I actually got a relatively huge amount of this, as I got a pre-packaged tub filled with the contents worth of $21 >.< Apparently, the LUSH I bought this from can only sell the one's that are alrady packaged. It got me worried, since I know these products have an expiration date, and I can't imagine finishing up the tub. A little goes a long way!!! For myself I use maybe a dime size amount, and once it's mixed with a bit of water, it spreads easily to cover my whole face.

As scary as it might sound to others, I actually use this as a daily cleanser. I agree that it's abrasive, but as long as you use gentle swirling motion, it shouldn't be as harsh. My first use was a sucess, it left my skin glowing :) Rosy cheeks and all. I was amazed by how smooth and soft my skin was. As other have noted, it does leave a residue (which might be the reason behind the softness of the skin). Depending on my mood, I would just leave it, and let that be the moisturizer for my skin. But if I need extra cleansing, I'd just wipe it off with a toner, and proceed with my Emperialis moisturizer.

It's been 2 weeks, so far so good. It hasn't broken me out, and my acne scars are getting lighter. My skin is smoother to the touch, and not dry whatsoever. Its honestly worth the money, as I don't think I'll be needing to repurchase this for months. If you're worried that it would be too abrassive, try using it in the shower, as it will cause less of a mess, and for some reason, i find it easier to manipulate the coal chunks away to prevent over-exfoliating.

I try to keep my hand dry whenever taking this product out of the tub, as I don't want any moisture going into it. I guess Im paranoid that it'll go bad or something.

I wouldn't say yet that this is HG status, as I still want to try other cleanser/exfoliants from LUSH.