October 26, 2014 | 1045 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

It moisturizes well, as far as I can tell by one use. I used a sample and the texture is a lot like Purity cleanser. It goes on not too thick and seems to absorb, but the smell is beyond anything I can tolerate. Looking over the ingredients, it must be lavender oil. I normally like lavender, but in this it's clashing with a heavy smell that is like spf. Too chemical for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2012 10:05:00 AM More reviews by improxyble

This moisturizes alright but smells HORRIBLE. And the smell lingers! Got a sample from Sephora and couldn't hate it more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2012 2:58:00 AM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

Tried it as a sample. Smells terrible, but did moisturize my skin relatively well during the winter.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/23/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by irisjane01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

why oh why. I seen the reviews on sephora and just thought, wow this must be a great moisturizer! wrong. hated it, hated the smell, and the feel. It has a lemony-chemical like smell to it. It leaves my skin feeling greasy, i wish i would have tried a sample out first before buying the full sized product. Was so happy when i finished it, I did not want to waste it. couple of months later, i got a sample of it for gratis, and it brung up old memories. I hate the damn thing, and the smell. not to mention if i tear up it starts to sting my eye! uhh.. yeah that's weird. I'll stick to my Sephora Instant moisturizer thank you very much!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by cutelildeadbear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ok, I think you guys are being wicked harsh on this one.

I don't mind the smell, again it smells like lavender and I like that scent and it is not strong in the least bit. I grow lavender in my front flower beds so to me the scent is fine. I mean I have used a ton of moisturizers over the years and most of them have smelled like old lady perfume and this has been the most mild to me so I don't know what all the fuss is about. Sheesh! It does not smell like plastic though.

Moving on, I bought the trial size of this to see if I would like it mostly because I know better than to buy a huge jar of something if I have never tried it before (and if I don't like something, I'm not going to then go out and re-purchase another huge jar then complain about it). So for $10 to try this out, it wasn't a big deal.

As far as price, again, I guess I'm gong crazy because I typically use Shiseido and that is like $55 for a 1.8 oz jar and Hope is $39 for a 2oz jar. So all in all, it isn't what I would consider expensive. I have also shelled out $87 for Chanel moisturizer which I still think is a fair price, so compared to what I normally spend this is dirt cheap.

As far as the product itself, well, I'm going to stick with my Shiseido and once in a while splurge on my Chanel. I found this to not be moisturizing enough for my really dry skin. It didn't break me out though so that is a plus. Mind you, I have extremely dry skin; this would be good for someone with normal skin. It also was not greasy at all.

Also, it is in a JAR. The name gives that away. The packaging gives that away. If you don't like moisturizers that come in a jar, why buy it then complain that it is in a JAR? I don't understand why everyone thinks that jars are so unsanitary. I take a shower, wash my face and hands then use a toner with clean hands then use my clean fingertips in the jar and put it on my clean face. No one else touches my moisturizer and I have never had an issue with bacteria getting in it or any other "sanitary" issues with moisturizers in a jar as many of them come this way. If it is that big of a deal though you can buy those little spatula things to get the product out then wipe it on your finger, but I don't see the difference in that and sticking your finger in the jar. Call me crazy.

Anyway, I wouldn't re-purchase because I like my Shiseido much much better, but this is not as horrible as some are making it out to be.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/15/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by conniecorn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

well, like everyone else i wanted to love this; i heard them tout this over and over on qvc, so i finally bought the kit, which contained this moisturizer, exfoliator, cleanser and some type of dark spot cream...OMG what crap...i hated the consistency of the moisturizer, very thinned out and weird, oddly the smell didnt bother me like most, but with in the 2 days of using it i started breaking out soooo bad....large boil like pimple on my forehead that you could see from two states away...even one on my breast, which i can't quite figure out since these products didnt go there, but i had also been using their shower gel, so maybe thats what did it...anyway, i decided to look at the ingredients. holy cow, so many horrible toxic chemicals, couldnt believe my eyes the list seemed to never end....so thats it for me; however, do love their mineral makeup but thats about it...all the skin care is going back!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I actually like the smell of this product. It grew on me and became slightly addicting. I no longer use this moisturizer. While it felt light and refreshing on my skin, I saw no benefits that prompted continual purchase of something so expensive. I'll stick to my Clinique DDMG.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/11/2012 11:11:00 AM More reviews by blackberries

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

ick... what a yucky smelling moisturizer. I also don't like that it's in a jar, never have liked any moisturizer in a jar. Other than the smell, it's a pretty good moisturizer though. Little goes a long way, my face didn't become oily. But it's expensive and icky smelling.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by dealfinder648

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Overpriced with basic ingredient deck. The marketing of Oprah propelled this product to the cult following they have today. Tried one of their serums also, nothing special sent it back.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2012 3:18:00 AM More reviews by Mollyluvsmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love philosophy products and like everyone else have heard wonderful AMAZING reviews on this... So I bought a value size a couple years back and it lasted forever, BUT it took me forever to use it up because it smelled like I was rubbing plastic on my face :(... I have über strong sense of smell so I just thought it was me. i ended up giving my mom the barely touched jar which she seemed to enjoy... well I ended up giving in to another jar and omg the smell... I couldn't even deal with it this time. I thought maybe my first jar was off or a bad tub but no I'm right on because this second jar is reeking of the same stench... I have the full jar in our medicine cabinet and my husband asked for some moisturizer so I told him to get into it and he was complaining the rest of the day of how he smelled like plastic... Lol kind of funny...