Bare Escentuals Kabuki Brush

2.6

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So, I sell this brand, and many other professional cosmetic and skincare lines. Here's the scoop: BE is a complete fad.

Don't get me wrong, I love their buxom lip glosses, but that's about it. Everyone I work with agree (including vendors, associates, etc), BE products are very average quality. Some of their products I wouldn't even say are good enough to be considered average.

All of their brushes are made with goat hair. Have you ever felt a goat? They're not fuzzy or soft, and they have this ominous odor. This is the reason as to why the brushes smell like wet dog. Also, the hairs become unattached very easily. I'll be color matching a client with BE products and come to find the hairs all over her face from the application.

And no, you don't need their brushes to apply their make-up, but you can say this about any line of cosmetics. The brushes are cut a certain way to allow the minerals to seep into the hair and be applied evenly (and correctly) over your skin. I'm sure they make other brushes that are cut similar, but I have yet to find one. If you use some random brush, you're bound to not have similar results as to when you were color matched by a professional.

Overall, the brand is mediocre. It's so popular because it was the first mineral line (started mid 1990's) and it is hugely marketed and promoted. I don't recommend wearing the make-up for professional pictures (weddings, graduations, etc.) because the mica causes a reflection from the camera flash, or if you're severely dry/dehydrated (the powder will rest in your lines and pores, even with their primer). Also, the mineral quality isn't a very high grade either. BE has become so huge in such a short amount of time that their products are not consistent. I've seen this problem numerous times with the lipsticks and glosses especially, which are easier to tell because some batch colors don't match others.

I could go on, but it won't do a thing. Just do your research when you're looking for a mineral line of cosmetics. There are much higher quality lines out there, that are just so much better, but of course they aren't promoted on HSN every hour, so you would never know.

on 2/19/2009 7:14:00 PM

Useless, very poor quality and certainly overpriced. Any brush you use on your face should be extra gentle and of highest quality of hairs available. No disrespect to the poor animals sheared for a brush, after all it was not their decision to sell them but all BE brushes are made of very low-grade materials. I am also incensed by the way the SAs try to stick it up your nose claiming their brushes are the only way to apply products correctly. What a pile of b.......! You'd be much better off with Chanel's or MAC's similar brushes of incomparably higher quality.

on 2/17/2009 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

I agree with the reviewers who said that the bristles of BE's kabuki brush are too rough :(. I also found it difficult to blend/buff the powder foundation with it. Argh. Can't believe I wasted money on this :(

LIke most, i got this along with the foundation. i was totally satified with the foundation - good coverage for my sensitive, acne-prone skin), but the brush is far too harsh for me. the bristles are stiff and feel like they are poking my face. after i use it my skin feels aggravated and itchy all day.

would not buy again and more than likely will give the one i own to someone with normal skin, it will more than likely work very well for them.

on 2/6/2009 12:40:00 AM

Another staple in my makeup bag. Feels light on my skin, and distributes my bare minerals evenly. Had it for 4 years, and with regular sanitizing it still works great!

ABSOLUTELY LOVE this brush!!! Fits perfectly in my make-up bag and feels so soft on my skin... : )

on 1/28/2009 6:08:00 PM

I adore this brush. it was included in my starter kit. its soft and feels great on your face. the bristles are high quality-its still in great condition after 2 years and i never have a problem with any bristles coming off. i use it with warmth on my cheekbones, forehead, sides of nose and i get a natural application and when i use it with glee i get a really pretty natural flush. the coverage for the foundation is great with this as well.
**EDIT** i washed it recently and it left the bristles all coarse. after this it doesn't pick up product easily and leaves splotches of color on my face. i don't think its worth the investment. try bobbi brown brushes instead.

on 1/22/2009 2:12:00 PM

One of the worst brushes I ever used. As other reviewers said, it started out soft but it's so abrasive now.

on 1/19/2009 7:44:00 AM

in the beginning it was a fine brush, but the quality it's not so good. you can be better buy a kabuki by the body shop!

(sorry for my english, i'm not so good in it!)

on 1/14/2009 5:07:00 PM

Behind every great make up wonder is a great brush or two.
My recommendation for mineral fanatics out there is BE's kabuki brush. I've used BE for 3 years now, and I can't find a better brush than the kabuki brush! It covers extremely well. However, if you want 110% coverage, I recommend full coverage brush - also from BE. I've used my kabuki brush for foundation, radiance,mineral veil, warmth (and other face colors). You should try out the difference between a kabuki brush from example Isadora, and the one from Bare Escentuals. Trust me, I've tried both, and BE's is by far the best! Definitely a must have in your "mineral collection". It might seem pricy, but compared to what you get it's really worth those extra money!

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products