October 25, 2014 | 1635 users online

Eyeliner - E.L.F. - Waterproof Eyeliner Pen

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2012 11:28:00 PM More reviews by ohgeebus

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought the Plum and Black eyeliners. As a first time ELF eyeliner buyer with no knowledge of other buyer reviews, I had a mixed reaction to each color liner.

I tried the plum liner first, and oddly enough, the applicator was really sharp against my eyelid. Maybe I'm more used to using a liquid liner with a synthetic applicator brush. But I touched the applicator pen tip to my lid, and I literally flinched. Applying the liner to my lid was like tapping a sharpened pencil against my eyeball. It hurt a lot. Fortunately, the black pen was much gentler, although I still was uncomfortable with the tip against my lid

I struggled through and got both lids done. In general, I think that the color is pretty pigmented for such a cheap eyeliner. However, you have to understand that this is probably one of the cheapest pen liners on the market. The color did not pass my smudge proof test of drawing a swatch on my hand, waiting a few minutes for a dried finish, and rubbing at the liner with my thumb. It didn't rub away, but it smudged...which was disappointing. Compared to my other favorite liquid liner Magic Ink by Benefit, ELF is a lesser liner but for what it's cost, I might buy it again if I ever wanted to do another ELF buying binge.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by kimberlygrace

I have this product in a solid black, & I had originally purchased it because I had been looking for a cheap liner to try out. I had originally wanted it for my bottom lash line / along my water line, but it's useless for that. It disappears / loses its color literally 10 seconds after you put it on. I found that it works really well for if you want it on your top lid. I really like this product for my top lash line, because the color fades a little from the deep black into a smokey black, which is what I want. I don't want it too dark on top, so this product works well for the top lash line. For the bottom lash line, I would recommend using a different liner; maybe a slightly more expensive one.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2012 3:26:00 AM More reviews by Married2aMarine

I have this in blue and I'm not in love with it. It's nice on top but like other reviewers it's worthless on the water line. It does take a few times going over the line to make it intense color. The point it really nice though and if you keep it upside down it shouldn't dry out. I would buy this again but not in blue. It's just not what I was looking fo in a blue liner.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 5:24:00 PM More reviews by ZannahLove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

It's average quality. Not bad for a top line eyeliner,completely useless on the bottom. I only bought because I wanted practice with an eyeliner pen before i bought the Maybelline one.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by jenny90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in Plum and Black. The plum is average but I don't use it that much. The black one I think is amazing. I've had it for about a year and it's still really black and full of product despite using it almost everyday. The tip on mine has frayed a bit but it's still usable. Compared to other liner pens I've tried, I'm very impressed with this one. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by V4N3SS4ful

Pros:
.....

Cons:
Dries out quickly
Not very pigmented
Smudges
Runs

Do not buy. At your own risk. Unless you want to be a raccoon:)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by reesagirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have very oily hooded lids, so finding an eyeliner that stays all day has been impossible. I thought I had an HG here, but no. The pen worked well, easy to use and smooth application. Color was weak though, and I had to take 2 swipes to get a solid strong line. Color did not last all day, sinking into my water line and lids by day's end and faded. Also the pen dried up really quickly so I kept buying new ones thinking I got a bad pen, and ended up buying way too many. All in all, though cheap, not a repeat buy for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by EMcTx

I have used this eyeliner for months and I love it. I haven't had any problem with it drying out.I use it on my top lash line only, and it leaves a dark line and doesn't smudge. It's the only one I've tried where I don't have to put powder on to set it. That's a big plus for me, because it takes me too long as it is to put makeup on. It also lasts all day. I love that it's only a buck, too.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2012 12:52:00 AM More reviews by cheeseguts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Yes, it does dry out, but it works if you cap it tightly and then leave it upside down like it says on the package. After that you have to let it.."recharge". It's good for toplining and tight lining the top but not the waterline. You also have to go over the line a couple times to make it nice and intense, however, the tip is nice and pointy so it's not a big deal.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by threejane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Geesh. It's a buck. A BUCK. That's uber-cheap for something that works even so-so and this is (a little) better than so-so.

With regard to the infamous "dry tip" issue (that sounds kinda kinky), I solve it by (a) making sure the cap is totally snapped on, (b) storing it upside down, and (c) with the cap on, whipping it toward the floor a few times to force the liquid into the felt tip.

Don't forget and do it with the cap off. Brown flecks of liquid all over the work clothes laid out for the next day will make for a cranky hubby. More so when he is bleary-eyed at oh-dark-thirty and doesn't see said flecks and had one of his employees point them out on his shirt. Derp.

If you are looking for it to give you big bold cat eyes, look elsewhere. This liner is best for lining top upper lashline ONLY. If you like to fill in your eyelash gaps with liner, this is your product. Don't bother using it on the lower lashline or for a big, wide, bold liner look. That is not this liner's forte.

I usually have to go over it a few times to get it nice and dark (I have it in Coffee, I'm too old for harsh black liner). However, it doesn't crack, chunk, smear or flake once it has set...which, being a liquid liner, can be around 30 seconds if you don't have a fan handy. So don't be inspecting your ceiling for holes until you're sure it's dry, or you'll be smudging this onto your browbones.

With regard for waterproofness, I rarely cry and try to stay inside when it's raining or snowing. Except snowboarding, and I use a PENCIL on those days. I may be a ditz, but I'm not stupid. When you're being filmed with a GoPro and relatives are clamoring for video of the latest crash, I want them pointing out the awkward manner in which I bailed, not how crappy my liner looks when I hit the snow face-first. I'm funny that way. ("Laugh at how I broke my wrist, not how goofy my makeup looks!")

But hey, I am a super-cheap tight-ass who loves makeup but hates shelling out for it, so if I can find something that works but requires a few silly steps or extra prep work, I'm all over it. Recommend.

It's a buck. Just in case you, like, missed that earlier. ;)

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No