July 28, 2014 | 2052 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by ClassicdivaX

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using the 0.05 % Retin A cream for just over 8 weeks. I absolutely love it! My skin has never looked so good. I have hormonal cystic acne that I have never found a solution for...until now! I used to get huge painful ance cysts every month before and during my cycle that would stay for weeks and leave a scar when they finally did go away:( Anyway, I have tried everything under the sun and nothing ever helped. Retin A has been a miracle for me. I haven't experienced any terrible side effects, just some peeling and a few tiny zits here and there. I just use a wash cloth for the peeling and moisturize well every day. My skin is soft,clear and luminous! I'm so thrilled with this product! Give it a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/22/2011 12:38:00 PM More reviews by joshiki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i've been using retin-a for almost a month now. i've been experiencing mixed feelings within that period and as of now i's still confused. but it's still way too early to conclude anything with it so i will update weekly/monthly to help others regarding its effects. btw i started with .025% cream-based. i'm so thankful and amazed it's not a prescription drug here in my country. and i'm 100% sure mine's authentic 'cause i bought it from the most reputable pharmacy here. 5g costs US$5 and 20g costs US$15.

week 1- i experienced slight stinging/burning effects and very minimal peeling because i have very oily skin. after about 3-4 days my forehead and cheekbones were so smooth i don't know maybe becausemy skin's still adjusting. i was very happy then.

week 2- still stings but milder, redness increased and my skin looked so thinned after washing maybe because i use this nightly without skipping and i also use glycolic/salicylic exfoliant cream by day. actually i'm a bit alarmed with the thinned look. and by this period i significantly noticed my smooth forehead became leathery/wrinkly and my pores became prominent that i almost stopped usage. thank goodness i've read some reviews and i believe this is included in the "ugly stage" thing everyone's talking about. others said (from other sites - yes i've read almost all sites regarding retin-a) their enlarged pores and wrinkled skin from using retin-a subsided after about 2 months of using (sigh.. i'm so relieved).

week 3- no sting and less red. i've upped to 0.05% alternating with 0.025% nightly. thinned skin normalized but enlarged pores are still there. my skin's elasticity significantly increased ( i have scar on my laugh line that's causing to disrupt my mouth from opening wide when eating), now i can eat without my scar interrupting.

week 4 onwards - my depressed scars from acne are li'l bit less prominent but because of STILL enlarged pores it accentuates it. LOL. i hope i'm not confusing you. what i mean with this is that if the enlarged pores were normalized my scars will be less prominent than before using retin-a. i find that my face is less red if i'm not trying to massage the cream onto my skin, instead i just apply it like buffing. i believe massaging/rubbing the cream irritates my skin causing these pores to accentuate.

i'm really hoping these enlarged pores will subside in succeeding weeks/months of use. one thing i almost forgot, it significantly faded my post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from injury about 70% already (because the stain's quite new). i will update as often as i can.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 7:14:00 AM More reviews by anisha12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was prescribed this by my dermatologist a few months before my wedding cuz I had acne prone skin with a couple of bumps here and there on my face. I was asked to use this every night and wear sunscreen in the daytime cuz it it a photoreactive compound. I did everything that he said...my skin cleared up slowly over 2 months...I don't know if it compares to the NORMAL tym it takes for skin to heal...and since he also gave me an antibiotic to take every morning, I thought that was t reason for no new acne forming. Around 2 months into t treatment, I was out in the sun...doing some wedding purchases,...and I felt my skin was burning! I got home soon only to see my face was BURNT esp in the areas I had applied more Retin-A!!! Maybe I am just one of those super sensitive people...but I HAD A WEDDING COMING UP and I actually had to stop using that and I used a whole lot of home remedies and makeup to fix my face before D-day. Being a chemical burn, it took me around a year for my skin to renew itself..I still have a light scar but nobody can notice it till I point it out. I wouldn't repurchase...not even for its anti-ageing benefits!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2011 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Goodyear77

Started using Retin A Micro .04% 5 weeks ago, applying it every night at least a half hour after washing my face. I had mild acne which was brought on mostly by stress I believe. It did exactly what the Dr. and all the reviews said it would. It made my whole face break out terribly!! It peeled and got red....there were little pus filled pimples EVERYWHERE!! It truly was a nightmare. I did stop using it for a few nights and I seriously cried at the thought of going to work with this face!! That was probably 3 weeks into it. I decided I had to stick with it because everyone said it will get worse before it gets better. At 4 weeks I began using the .1% (the derm gave me many samples of both .04% and .1%)....at that point I really turned a corner. It was a tough road no doubt but well worth it. It has been 5 weeks of use now and I have filled my prescription for the .1% RAM. It is AMAZING!! I believe I will use this product forever!! My skin is practically flawless and feels amazing. Not a bump anywhere!! I can honestly say I was going to quit because the breakout was unbelievably bad....totally embarrassing to go anywhere, but all the med is doing is pulling everything out of your pores and cleansing them. Once that is done it is smooth sailing and completely beautiful skin. It has taken away all of the tiny wrinkles I was getting and made my skin radiant. Stick with it and don't stop during the tough period....it will get better!!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by missoliver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been on Retin A for about 10 months. I have been extremely patient this this product, hoping it would take away my stubburn acne that i have been battling with for four years. My Doctor said i will see results within three months and AMAZING results within six months, i've seen absolutely no changes in my skin, it's quite depressing because i had such high hopes for this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2011 5:53:00 PM More reviews by missxcindii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used this product religiously for the past 4 years. Yes this is a very harsh treatment. Not a lot of people I know could and would want to deal with the side effects. And though doctors tell you this is only temporary, this was not the case for me. So lets first talk about the good: it makes your skin incredibly smooth. The constant exfoliation will give you the clearest skin you have ever had. It will prevent your acne, smooth out your lines, remove unevenness. I've used it faithfully and I can tell you it works like no other treatment I've ever tried, including other retinoid products like tazorac, differin, etc... Now on to the bad. I experience persistent redness everywhere I put this treatment, which meant a demarcation like across my entire jawline. For the past 4 years my foundation has never matched my neck because my face would always have an extra red tint unless I caked my face with full coverage foundation everyday. Next is the peeling. Literally peeled every 2-3 days. And lastly the irritation. Everything you put on your skin would have to cater to sensitive skin. Because the skin you wore was always new skin. Now you might be saying oh well you put on too much, or you're using it wrong or you haven't gotten past the "retinization of the skin". I have researched all the rules: wait 20 mins out of the shower, dilute it with moisturizer, serum, whatever it may be, try to use is every week and build up tolerance. I have done the once a week application, I've done the wait 2 hours after washing your face application, you name a method I've done it. And after 4 years of patience, I've moved on to other things. If this works for you, lucky you. Unfortunately my skin cannot tolerate this and I sincerely regret putting my skin through it. Acne is such a horrible experience to go through and the fact that I stubbornly continued to use this product will tell you how desperate I was to get rid of it and never go through it again. If I have any advice for anyone dealing with acne it's that everybody's skin is different. Pay attention to how your treatment is effecting your skin and please be gentle with your skin. I have since moved on to other products and methods. Even though it takes more work to get the same results, it's worth it. You want clear and beautiful skin, not clear but peeling, red, irritated skin.

Edit: 4/30/2014
I did not think it was possible but at 22 my skin has become even more oily and acne prone than ever before. It's gotten to the point where all my lesions are hurting because they are so deep, and unresponsive to any skincare treatment what so ever, and I've already had several injected with cortisone by my dermatologist. In fact my first visit to the dermatologist in over a year ended with a conversation about isotretinoin(accutane). For the first time my dermatologist agreed that my skin was bad enough to go on it. I did the whole blood test thing, pregnancy tests, I've already been on bcp for over 2 years, and waited 30 days. Today is my second day on isotretinoin. Wish me luck...

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 2:13:00 PM More reviews by cbatten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just recently started using this product again as part of my skin care regimen (not acne related). Originally it was prescribed to me for a bad bout of cystic acne I developed in my late twenties. Per my derma, I only used a pea sized amount or less on the affected area as needed, once a night. It worked great, no side affects, though I would only turn to it maybe a handful of times per month. My cystic acne faze did eventually pass on its own.

Fast forw

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2011 11:20:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

As you can see from other reviews, most, if not all, that try this find that if they don't buffer first, they cannot tolerate the product. Even then as many reviews attest, often the user still needs to use this in conjunction with a moisturizer to make it tolerable. I state that upfront as I was never given such advice when a derm prescribed this years back and so could not reap any real benefit, only suffered from the worst possible effects such as redness, peeling, burning, itching. I have read elsewhere that many people give up such products before ever seeing any positive effects they surely would have in time had they been able to stick with it.

I was prescribed this after a brief but for me, devastating bout with acne. The derm never told me to wear sunscreen every day either when using this, taking for granted everyone does. While I did then and still do, all year no matter the weather, my face was so raw at the time from the product I could not tolerate any sunscreens I knew of. My take away advice from this is to go as slowly as possible, proceed with caution, buffer, buffer, buffer and even then mix with a cream or lotion you can tolerate, don't use daily unless and until you are certain you can handle it. I said yes I'd re-purchase because I would like to give this a go for now as I get older, but just as I buffered and waded slowly into using Avene Eluage around my eyes, will do the same with this.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2011 9:34:00 AM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Grey

Retin-A is the ONLY product that is proven to fight wrinkles,troublesome skin and the lines, discoloration, etc. that come from getting older. This works for acne,rosacea,acne scars,surgical scars and sun-damage. Retin-A increases the collagen production and repair sun damaged skin. It also shrinks oil glands and make cells less sticky,avoiding plugging of pores for the treatment of acne. I just can't see wasting money on products that can't possibly live up to the promises. I believe Retin-A is the gold standard in anti-aging skin care. Most problems from using this product are from not allowing your skin to build up a tolerance. Gel formulas can be very irritating but may work best for younger, very oily skin. I prefer the cream. I use the Retin-A .05 on my face, neck and chest. I plan on purchasing the gel for summer months.

It is best to start with a low dose and apply every other day or even every third to test the product's effect on your particular skin and move up/down in strength if needed. BE SURE TO WAIT AT LEAST 30 MINUTES (longer is better) AFTER CLEANSING BEFORE APPLYING PRODUCT! Did I stress that enough? You are asking for super irritation trouble if you don't do that.
First off, do not ever put this on during the day. This is meant for nighttime, and you're supposed to wash your face the morning after.

After about three weeks, you may see some flaking and purging (pores becoming unclogged)--but follow the directions and *keep going*; this is a normal reaction and so many people do not give the medicine time to change your skin. When the peeling begins, *don't be aggressive removing the flakes* because then you will be irritated-just deal with it and add a bit of moisturizer--they go away quickly enough. I sometimes just rub what I can off with my fingers, and then maybe wipe with a soft washcloth. Flaking from time to time reveals new, fresh and clearer skin. If you become really irritated, though, it's time to skip nights or change formulas. No one should have red, cracked, and super peely skin-that's just not right! The most visible benefits of Retin-A are related to faster cell renewal: clearer skin, smaller-looking pores, fading of discoloration, reduction in fine lines, and smoother texture. It may take several months of faithful use to see dramatic improvement, but I would say it's more than worth waiting for.
Yes, your skin will flake from time to time (especially around the mouth and nose), you may need to change your makeup/moisturizer, and you *will* have to go through the painstaking process of finding a sunscreen that works for you. I use Olay complete all day uv-sensitive skin and has not caused breakouts. Research now strongly suggests that long-term use of Retin-A helps maintain and build new collagen. I think all women (who can tolerate it) should use Retin-A from their teens or twenties onward, and that it's probably the best thing you can do for your skin after protecting it daily with an antioxidant serum and broad-spectrum sunscreen. (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that you must wear daily SPF while using Retin-A, or you're doing yourself more harm than good.)
Last, you probably will have to change your cleansing routine (no harsh cleansers/scrubs). Your cleansing routine does not have to cost a fortune! You may find yourself using moisturizer, so find a gentle one-I use Cetaphil lotion sparingly. Save your cash for a great suncreen: so many irritate or cause breakouts. Just try to introduce one product at a time to see what works on your skin. Sorry for the long review, but I assure you that what you get in return is smoother blemish-free skin that will look better and better. One bit of advice for the flakies is to *very lightly* exfoliate with a *very soft cloth* and cool water. Any hard rubbing is going to give you red, raw skin that no makeup will cover.
THIS IS SOME INFO ON MY PAPERWORK FROM MY DERMATOLOGIST

1. After washing,wait AT LEAST twenty minutes before applying topical renoid

2. Apply retinoid one hour before retiring to bed for the evening

3. Retinoid should be used every other night for the first 3 wks and then each night thereafter if tolerated. If the skin becomes very irritated,cut back to every other night. Another schedule to use is application on Monday-Friday evenings for 2-3 wks, eventually working up to nightly use. If skin gets to irritated,cut back to MWF use or M-F again.

4.DO NOT apply near eyelid margins

5. Use moisturizer with sunscreen for dryness.

6.Use a mild soap for washing your face such as Dove soap,Cetaphil, or Cera Ve

7.retnoids should be discontinued 5-7 days prior to any waxing to avoid shearing of the skin

8.Some recommended brands of daily moisturizers with SPF:

-Oil of Olay Complete SPF 30 Defense Daily UV Moisterizer

-Oil of Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer- Sensitive skin- SPF 15

-Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer- SPF 15

-La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX-SPF 15

outdoor use:

-neutrogena Pure and Free Baby-SPF 60

I started using Differin in 03/11 and now Im being bumped up to the lowest concetration of the Retin-A cream since I needed to move on to something stronger and so far I'm loving it! Will update if I find out anything new or problems arise.

28 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dasanchez04

Ok I first started using the 0.025 strength and the first week my skin was glowing but that's all it did. I received compliments on its glow! However, It did not take the little bumps that are visible in the sunlight away or did not form any pimples. I decided to bump it up to the 0.05 strength. The first week nothing happened just peeling. The second week I began to purge. I am currently on my fourth week and the pimples that I had from the purging are scabs and hard pimples. Some parts of my forehead look smooth. My nose is clear very few blackheads but not very noticeable. The purging I was getting was/is horrible ( don't know if the purging is over) but I was getting bumps overlapping bumps. Pretty painful and embarrassing. I still do not want to go out for fear of someone looking. Also the pimples that I do have are peeling. At night, as soon as I am done taking a shower, I put oil of olay fluid and wait one hour and then I add retin a. I'll keep an update by the end of this month.
**UPDATE**
Ive decided I would discontinue using retin a. The pimples I got were hard and just hurt they would not turn into a white head. If this was considered purging i'd rather not. My face was so horrible and embarrassing. What I did like about it though was the peeling. Visited my dr she gave me differin gel 0.1 and an antibiotic we will see how this works out.