December 19, 2014 | 851 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Wrenfly

I use Baking Soda for almost all my beauty needs. I had a really bad break-out and literally nothing was working, no face wash or masks or other DIY recipes was working to clear my skin up. I've been using this with a bit of water to make a thin paste for the past two weeks and it has literally saved my skin. I love it! Once a week I mix some with my toothpaste too which makes my teeth really white, if my scalp needs a good clean to get rid of product build up I use it like a shampoo and for $3 a kilo, you can't beat it.

I store it in a container in my cupboard and use it every day, will never again live without my baking soda.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Baking soda is the BEST skin exfoliator in the world! It's mildly abrasive, dirt cheap, no nasty chemicals or fragrances, easy to obtain, and it imparts a lovely glow to the skin. Women have been using this kitchen staple for many years to exfoliate their faces and bodies - tried, true, & tested.
I pour baking soda into a sealable jar, store it in the shower, and exfoliate my face/neck/chest every morning. I do not use a facial cleanser in the am - only at night to remove makeup and daily grime. No breakouts, skin rashes or irritations, just lovely, silk-smooth skin that glows.
Try it out ladies! I do not believe that you will be disappointed!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 12:28:00 AM More reviews by Green_Girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using baking soda to wash my hair for about four months. I either keep it in a squeeze bottle filled a little over a third of the way with baking soda, the rest filled with water, or make it into a paste with water. It keeps my thick, curly hair clean without stripping it of any oils, and I've noticed very minimal fading in my hair dye (at the ends of my hair only).

Because baking soda is alkaline, it's important to follow up with an apple cider vinegar rinse. I use half a cup of Bragg's ACV in two cups of water, pour half over the underside of my head, the other half over the top, and then spend a minute scrubbing it into my scalp. This is the only method that has gotten rid of my dandruff, and I only need to use it two or three times a week.

I've heard that baking soda can be mixed into conditioner for those who cowash, and I plan on trying this soon.

When using baking soda and ACV, it may take a couple of weeks for your hair and scalp to adjust. For the first week after starting this, my hair felt very greasy, but it quickly adjusted. I noticed increased shine and moisture, and my hair and scalp no longer felt squeaky clean, which I like. My hair used to get very dry and itchy, but it's now flake free.

Overall, a wonderful, versatile product that I cannot recommend more highly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by darkmist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Dear baking soda,

thank you for not only de-stinking my fridge, cleaning my stubborn pots and pans, but now doing what I truly thought was impossible - removing my pesky omnipresent flakies. You are my first ever HG product.

Love, Me

This is seriously the best exfoliator out there, hands down. At a little over a buck for a giant box, no one can beat this price. I personally use a very small amount of BS - around .5 to 1 tsp - because I use a cleansing milk instead of a cream cleanser and I have sensitive skin. I instead go for a very slightly gritty texture and gently rub in circular motions on my dry patches. Yes this did sting a bit especially around the dry flaky patches - but amazingly, it was as if the BS was melting off my flakies as with only very light rubbing, my skin is finally flake-free in years. I have very stubborn ugly flaky spots due to acne so those wondering, yes there is a cheap and very effective way at removing all of that crusty flaky disgustingness. I only do the baking soda exfoliator once a week since it would be way too harsh for everyday. My skin was shiny and a bit oily afterwards but definitely manageable and more than worth it to be free of flakies.

NOTES/TIPS:
1) PLEASE do your first test on your HAND and not your face. It's very easy to add to much BS or rub too hard. Since your hand is much tougher than your face, you can safely test to guage how much BS is necessary. The first time I tested on my hand with just water and BS, my poor hand felt dry and raw for 20 minutes (both too much BS and scrubbed way too hard) :/
2) Steam your face first to prep it for the baking soda exfoliator.
3) Let the cleanser/BS mixture sit on your face for 10-15 secs before starting to gently rub. I personally felt like it gave the BS some time to really start loosening the dead skin but that could be just me.
4) Rinse very very throughly. Any baking soda left over on your face may cause itchiness and irritation.
5) Moisturize well after exfoliating as your skin will feel quite dry after you wash off everything.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by malonb

i've been using this for about a month along w/ the sea salt wash and diy toner of organic apple vinegar and water- i went all natural(no other face washes/products-not counting make-up).

i started using this as an every day face wash whenever i needed to take off make-up(after work for example) and used a sea-salt wash any other time(after waking up in the mornings or before going to bed). it does leave your skin very soft, smooth and clean. i use to damp my face, pour a little BS directly on my palm moisten that and go at it. when i started i had a pretty bad break out(being that time of the month) and thought this was aiding the healing process. yet, about a week later i got another wave of break-outs, even worse than the first. i thought it may be my skin reacting to the change in routine and thought it would get used to it but here i am a month later and they're still coming(all tho not as bad as the first wave). i read through the reviews here and many have said using this on the daily has caused them breakouts as well(specially white heads which i've had the most) so it's better to use it as a scrub or mask sparingly. is mentioned i'm still getting break outs after a month and i believe it's because of this. i have pretty bad(very acne-prone) skin and my skin routine(many different face washes) before didn't leave it this bad on such a regular basis. i loved the idea of going natural but seems like i'm going to have to take up chemicals again, mainly 'cause i don't know any natural way which would remove all the make up(concealer/blush/etc). i've been using this up 'till yesterday so will give it a try as a mask(haven't tried it yet) and scrub a few times a week and see if i improve. will update in a couple of weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 2:16:00 AM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

Pro's -
Cheap,
Environmentally friendly,
Effectively cleans hair,
Leaves hair soft,
Leaves hair light,
Leaves hair bouncy,
Leaves hair very easy to style WITHOUT heat.

Con's -
Messy,
Much be prepared fresh each time,
VERY drying,
Effectively removes colour from colour-treated hair.

I use this in place of my $20 shampoo. Dissolve one table spoon of baking soda in warm water. Get in the shower and wet hair. Work it through your hair, comb it through. Let sit while you do the rest of your routine. Rinse out. Apply a leave-in conditioner. Style as usual but WITHOUT hot tools!

My hair now holds a really nice curl without any hassle. No product, no heat, no time required. Just brush it with a round brush and go. Love it.

I wash my hair with baking soda every time I get in the shower because I have greasy hair. It's recommended that you only use baking soda once or twice a week at most as it is very drying.

When you initially make the switch, try to do it during a week where you won't need to leave the house very often. Do not wash your hair for three or four days so the natural oil is there. Wash with baking soda. Wait two days and wash with baking soda. Then start washing every day with baking soda. You will see a huge difference in one week. I did!

My hair did become VERY DRY. If that is a huge problem for you, do not use baking soda on your hair, or do not use it every day.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 4:07:00 AM More reviews by sw1123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great product! I used this after reading the reviews on MUA and it makes my skin very soft and has reduced acne scars. Will definitely continue using it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use baking soda in place of shampoo. I dissolve about 1 TBSP per cup of water and use that to wash my hair and scalp. It works amazing. No residue, no dry strands, just clean healthy hair and scalp. I started using it when I couldn't stop getting nasty dandruff and was suffering from some serious frizzy hair. I think all the silcones in products was building up. So I used baking soda to clarify and then thought "why don't I just use this all the time!". So I do. And I'm so happy. No chemicals, cheaper than shampoo, and my hair looks amazingly shiny. I'd highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by 1986tee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Used for physical exfoliation purposes one a week. After removing makeup and cleansing face, I use product as an exfoliant. My regular cleanser is Cetaphil, so I combine 2-3 pumps of cleanser with approximately a tbsp of baking soda. I apply to damp face, and massage in circular motions for a few minutes. This is the best exfoliant I have used, and it is so cheap. The granuales are so small, it is a great micro-exfoliant. I don't think I will ever repurchase a regular exfoliant from the store again. Holy grail status.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 10:57:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

After endlessly searching for my Neutrogena AntiResidue Shampoo in every store imaginable (and any other clarifying shampoo for that matter) I had all but given up and accepted that my hair would be an oily gross gunky blob for the rest of my life. I'm in college, and unemployed (classes take up too much time to work :( ) and so I've been finding ways to be frugal, but still look fabulous. Enter baking soda. I remember looking this up on MUA a while back, and decided to give it a shot. So I put some in a dixie cup, mixed it with my regular shampoo, and lo and behold, it worked! My hair was squeaky clean and shiny! Worked even better than my Neutrogena shampoo, which I swear by! I also used it as a gentle scrub for my face (once a week though!) and it dulled the redness in my breakouts and made my skin feel way smooth. It does a lot and costs so little. Definitely an HG product, and I'm definitely repurchasing!