October 23, 2014 | 877 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Define-A-Brow

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by simplyclaire18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was my favorite eyebrow pencil for the longest time. I've continued to buy this pencil since the first time I've tried it. Since maybelline has now discontinued my favorite shade DARK BROWN, i'm very very upset. I've spent so long looking in stores for that shade, and now relized on their website it's discontinued, seriously what the heck?!? this was literally the only shade that worked perfect for my eyebrows... the medium brown had a red tone to it for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by amedelia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I had dark brown hair for years (dyed) and I decided to go for my natural colour, dark blond. I had been using a Lancome brow pencil (can't recall the exact name) in a dark brown and I liked it (not having experience with other pencils before. So now that I'm a blond, and I didn;t have the cash for Lancome, I decided to pick up something at walmart. I picked this on a whim and I'm so glad I did! I LOVE it! It works so much better than the wooden pencil I was using before. I love how small the pencil is and that it screws up rather than sharpening. It's a perfect match for my eyebrows, and it's very affordable. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2012 8:14:00 PM More reviews by mamakat5

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Believe me, I have tried it all from most expensive to this. I can not believe I have been going to the Ulta store and paying $25 or more when this was out there. This is better than those others, it applies better and stays on just as long. I have no hair on my eyebrows, it looks better than those expensive ones. I had permanent makeup put on years ago, I do not have them touched up because I think it looks so fake but I do have an outline to go by. I love this product and will never spend more money for less product again.....

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by liveandlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My hair is black, so it can be very difficult to find a decent and affordable eyebrow pencil that isn't harsh by being too dark or has too much red or auburn in it. The wax in these pencils is firm, but pigmented. And, as others have stated, it stays on all day!

Dark brown is a good match for my hair and skin, but when I want to go with a very natural look, I use the color Dark Blonde - as it's a very cool-toned grey taupe (kind of similar to MAC's Copperplate) that looks quite natural.

My only complaint with this product is that I find the brush at the end to be pretty worthless. The only thing that would make this better would be if it came with a spoolie, but other than that it's definitely a HG product for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/29/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by koolnpink69

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Maybelline why did you discontinue this in "dark brown"??? I am so upset, because that was the only shade that actually fit my brow color and that goes well with my skin tone. I am using the medium brown but it doesnt go well at all with my brow color or skin tone. I am going to have to transition to another brow pencil. Sadly I enjoyed this formula and the long wear it has, but I am not going to walk around with light eyebrows. It's too bad, theres a great amount of shades for light toned skins, but now there are not many selection for dark toned skin. I am very upset.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by mmbabies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had my eyebrows waxed last year and the lady ripped off the last half of my eyebrow on the right side. It was a terrible experience and thank goodness my brow has now grown back. I had never really drawn on my eyebrows before but I had to do something because walking around with half an eyebrow was not an option. I found this pencil at Walmart for $5 so I picked it up in medium brown and I loved it! The tip is soo small it made it really easy to mimic actual hairs so it doesn't look obviously drawn on and it stayed put too!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by GetSmart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this. It is SO THIN, so you maintain awesome control of where the colour goes. It lasts for ages, a little goes a long way. I've used a lot of brow pencils before delving into the world of brow powders or using a TEEEENY amount of Loreal Hip (brown) gel liner on my brows, but I still reach for this pencil,and mostly just this pencil. It's fantastic.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by sunshine628

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've tried this brow pencil several times and I do like the shade in dark blonde. My dislikes are the pencil breaks easily when applying and
the pencil doesn't last to long.It's definitely worth trying out.Try applying with a light hand that's what I'm going to do next time I buy it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2012 4:56:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I hate to say it, but I am writing this review with quite a heavy heart. No, itís certainly not because I dislike Maybellineís Define-A-Brow pencils and feel as though they are a waste. In fact, I believe that they are without a doubt the best and most natural looking pencils that Iíve tried to date. My sadness only stems from the fact that my color, Soft Black, has been discontinued. Yes, right after I tried them and fell in love.
Iíd hunted for that particular shade in stores for a long while, after hearing a lot of hype about these pencils and discovering through Maybellineís site that they made one of these in ďSoft BlackĒ. It wasnít until I gave up, bought two of them off of eBay and discovered that they were perfect when I check back with the Maybelline site only to find that the shade was missing from the Define-A-Brow page. Crap.
If youíve got pitch black hair like I do, Soft Black would be perfect. Itís an amazingly natural and unbelievably flattering shade of dark charcoal grey. Thatís right- No awkward blue or purple undertones! Itís just a pure, neutral dark grey/soft black. If youíve got black hair and actual muted black eyebrows like I do, surely you realize what a gem these are for that exact reason alone.
For the longest time I had been using a black Nyx pencil, despite being absolutely unhappy with it. When the pencil came in contact with my skin (which happened often as my brows are quite sparse in some places), not only did the pencil sort of cake up but the blue undertones in it became incredibly obvious. Blending it out or attempting to brush the color through only made the blue color more apparent as well as made the pencil go everywhere. The only reason why I didnít switch sooner was because I completely despise and have had really tragic experiences with manual brow pencils. Also, many companies donít seem to make black pencils at all, which narrowed the field greatly when I finished off my other pencil and started shopping around.
The aside from the perfect color, the main reason why I love Maybelline's Define-A-Brow is because the tip is so fine and narrow. Itís easy to create soft, hair-like strokes with and Iíve never had any issues with it caking up. Youíve REALLY got to have a heavy hand to wind up looking like Groucho Marx with these pencils. They perform amazingly well and give soft, natural results both alone and in conjunction with powder, so theyíre great for days when I donít want to spend much time on my eyebrows too. I canít complain about the tips snapping off because I only twist mine up little by little. Yes, itís true that these donít twist back down should you twist up too much (I was forewarned- thanks MUA!) and that IS annoying, but I do love these none the less.
I canít speak for how long these last. My only hope is that the two I purchased on eBay carry me through most of the year at least. If they donít, I certainly love these enough to hoard all of the ones I can buy off of eBay and Amazon. The color and design are truly superb! Now that Iíve discovered them, I canít imagine doing my brows without them!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 4:28:00 AM More reviews by sofiej

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the brow pen I keep buying over and over again. I like how it's a little bit harder than some of the other pens that tend to look unnatural and harsh. The "comb"-thing or whatever on the end of the pen doesn't really make sense to me as I tend to use a spoolie type brush to even out the color.. I have black hair and use this is "Dark Blonde" which is a taupe color that looks the most natural on me. I started using this color after having my eyebrows done by an expert who suggested this shade for me. It looks way better than any true brown color I've ever used before. Yay!