September 19, 2014 | 2012 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by kricket3142

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i recently received this from a swap and i LOVE it!!! it's very creamy and goes on smoothly and pretty evenly; however, it does set semi fast so you do need to work quickly when putting it on. this paint pot does not crease and is the perfect base color for any shadow.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by xoxo007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this stuff for almost a year and have hardly made a dent in it and it hasn't dried out at all either. Love this stuff, love it. Before this, I used bare canvas paint but I picked this up becasue its so matte and I pretty much put away the bare canvas. It can be a little tricky because it sets fast so if say u stop when ur halfway done putting it on, it'll dry and it can become difficult to pick up where u left off becasue of the consistency so u have to work quickly and thoroughly. You can use your finger to spread it on your eyelid and browbone or a brush. Sometimes I have a hard time with my finger or vice versa so I use either. I put it on from my eyelid to my browbone, since its a skin type color, I dont have to worry about putting too much and just putting an even layer. You dont need a lot and it does an AMAZING job at keeping your eyeshadow in place. If I fall asleep with makeup on, when I wake up, it looks like I just did my makeup. It's great at really caputuring the intensity of your eyeshadows. Some primers or bases can change the color of your eyeshadow or the consistency and finish of your eyeshadow but this stuff truly showcases their vibrancy. I love it. I bought this and blackground... I really think all u need is a nude base and a black base (even tho I have more lol). In the pot, it looks like a concealer but as soon as u put it on, you can really see and feel the difference between this and some of the cheaper brands that can be sticky or greasy like the nyx eyeshadow base (I'm not a brand snob, I'm just a quality snob with certain things lol), greasy bases, if u put them on and dont put ur shadow on right after, they'll tend to crease but not with this. Its completely matte and once it sets, its not sticky at all which is whats kinda weird about it... its just sits on your eyelid without being sticky but it totally grips your eyeshadow once you put it on and lets it go on super smooth and even. I HIGHLY recommend this paint pot and I'll probably always use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2010 2:56:00 PM More reviews by nfernandez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite eyeshadow base! You have to work it in pretty quickly because it sets fast. I it with MUFE Microfinish powder and it stays all day! By setting it I find it way easier to blend eyeshadow instead of it getting to stuck to the base. Kinda pricey but I know it will last me a long time. I've had mine for 2 months and use it everyday and I havent even made a dent in it :) Definately for people with yellow undertones, I think it would look really muddy on someone with pink undertones

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 2:25:00 PM More reviews by bih80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only paint-pod I've needed, it's still moist and I've had it for months. It's the perfect base for my everyday eye, matte and holds that shadow in place all day long.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 11:25:00 AM More reviews by tatt2thruandthru

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This my FAVORITE base. The main reason being that I'm a MAC C2 which means I'm basically porcelain skined with yellow undertones. This is absolutely perfect for those that are really fair and really warm. If you are cool (pink) Painterly will be a better option for you. You could also always use Soft Ochre to warm up a shadow and Painterly to cool a shadow despite your skintone. Furthermore you can use Soft Ochre to even out and camouflage redness/veining on the lids despite skintone. The only con to this is that for some reason the texture is slightly off compared to Painterly, it is a tiny bit grittier and takes a slight more amount of work...again the color is amazing and blows out any cons there are. I will NEVER stop repurchasing.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by minburke

This is the perfect eyeshadow base. I am dry/combination and it suits my skin perfectly. It doesn't make my lids go cakey at all and my eyeshadow always lasts 14+ hour work days flawlessly with this underneath. Great to cover up dark lids if you want a simple look with liner also.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 12:36:00 AM More reviews by chelseyhelene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this everyday and I love the yellow undertone because it takes the purpley tone out of my lids and my lower lash line. It makes my shadow stay on ALL day...even on the rare occasion that I sleep with my makeup on, i wake up in the morning and it looks as though I just put it there. It is amazing, best lid primer I have ever used. Love painterly too, but this tone is just better for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 4:25:00 PM More reviews by Sirenas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love using Soft Ochre as a base. The color is matte and will not alter eyeshadows on top but only enhance it. It is very light and has a yellow undertone so it actually kind of matches with my skin. Soft Ochre looks a bit like concealer so I can actually wear alone many times. If you are light skin you can get away with it too, however this paint pot is meant more as a base rather than wear it alone specially if you have darker skin. The texture seems a little less slick than Bare Study, more like a thick concealer and it can be a bit hard to spread. However, a brush is the best way to apply this, since with your fingers you might find a bit of tugging. Soft Orchre also has no glittler or shimmer whatsoever. It makes my eyeshadows last all day without any creasing at all. I love this paint pot and find myself reaching out for it all the time when I want a natural look or something to brighten up my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by mascarasmudge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I cannot live with out my soft ochre paint pot! I have tried a million different eyeshadow bases, primers ...you name it! Nothing comes close to soft ochre. I've probably had my pot for almost a year and with every day use, it's neither empty or dry. I love how this makes my eyeshadow pop and keeps it on all day with absolutely no creasing. Love love love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 6/15/13: I don't want to drop the rating down because as far as Paint Pots go, I would always stick with this color. However, since writing this review I have discovered Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Eyeshadow in Shore. It is way less yellow than than Soft Ochre, but still yellow toned over pink toned and it looks very natural on my lid all by itself while still brightening the eye area. Also, the BB does not seem to dry out like my Paint Pot did. I have had it for over a year now and it is still fine. The Paint Pot barely lasted a month. The one plus the Paint Pots do have over the Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream e/s pots is that the BB pots are small with small openings (mouths) and the paint pots have nice wide mouthed containers. If you love Painterly Paint Pot, BB's equivalent is called Malt.

ORIGINAL POST: Finally! I first bought Bare Study because the color seemed perfect, but it turned out to be way too shimmery on my mid-30 eyes. Then I tried Painterly. I work everyday to take the pink OUT of my eye area so it doesn't look like I got punched and my eye skin matches the rest of me. Painterly was too darn pink for my taste and just put all that pink back in. I finally tried Soft Ochre but was sure it would be too yellow on my NW20 skin. WRONG! It is perfect! Applied well, it masks all the extra pinkness in my eye area and makes my eye socket blend in with the rest of my complexion. I have to be careful not to go up on to my brow bone or it does seem off, but it works faboo in the lid/crease area! It goes on smooth and makes a fantatstic base. I can't believe how long I have put off trying this because it looked so yellow to me in the pot (but perfect on me). I just hope it still looks good in the winter when I am whiter.