August 28, 2014 | 1626 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 11:25:00 AM More reviews by tatt2thruandthru

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This my FAVORITE base. The main reason being that I'm a MAC C2 which means I'm basically porcelain skined with yellow undertones. This is absolutely perfect for those that are really fair and really warm. If you are cool (pink) Painterly will be a better option for you. You could also always use Soft Ochre to warm up a shadow and Painterly to cool a shadow despite your skintone. Furthermore you can use Soft Ochre to even out and camouflage redness/veining on the lids despite skintone. The only con to this is that for some reason the texture is slightly off compared to Painterly, it is a tiny bit grittier and takes a slight more amount of work...again the color is amazing and blows out any cons there are. I will NEVER stop repurchasing.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by minburke

This is the perfect eyeshadow base. I am dry/combination and it suits my skin perfectly. It doesn't make my lids go cakey at all and my eyeshadow always lasts 14+ hour work days flawlessly with this underneath. Great to cover up dark lids if you want a simple look with liner also.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 12:36:00 AM More reviews by chelseyhelene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this everyday and I love the yellow undertone because it takes the purpley tone out of my lids and my lower lash line. It makes my shadow stay on ALL day...even on the rare occasion that I sleep with my makeup on, i wake up in the morning and it looks as though I just put it there. It is amazing, best lid primer I have ever used. Love painterly too, but this tone is just better for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 4:25:00 PM More reviews by Sirenas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love using Soft Ochre as a base. The color is matte and will not alter eyeshadows on top but only enhance it. It is very light and has a yellow undertone so it actually kind of matches with my skin. Soft Ochre looks a bit like concealer so I can actually wear alone many times. If you are light skin you can get away with it too, however this paint pot is meant more as a base rather than wear it alone specially if you have darker skin. The texture seems a little less slick than Bare Study, more like a thick concealer and it can be a bit hard to spread. However, a brush is the best way to apply this, since with your fingers you might find a bit of tugging. Soft Orchre also has no glittler or shimmer whatsoever. It makes my eyeshadows last all day without any creasing at all. I love this paint pot and find myself reaching out for it all the time when I want a natural look or something to brighten up my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by mascarasmudge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I cannot live with out my soft ochre paint pot! I have tried a million different eyeshadow bases, primers ...you name it! Nothing comes close to soft ochre. I've probably had my pot for almost a year and with every day use, it's neither empty or dry. I love how this makes my eyeshadow pop and keeps it on all day with absolutely no creasing. Love love love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 6/15/13: I don't want to drop the rating down because as far as Paint Pots go, I would always stick with this color. However, since writing this review I have discovered Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream Eyeshadow in Shore. It is way less yellow than than Soft Ochre, but still yellow toned over pink toned and it looks very natural on my lid all by itself while still brightening the eye area. Also, the BB does not seem to dry out like my Paint Pot did. I have had it for over a year now and it is still fine. The Paint Pot barely lasted a month. The one plus the Paint Pots do have over the Bobbi Brown Long Wear Cream e/s pots is that the BB pots are small with small openings (mouths) and the paint pots have nice wide mouthed containers. If you love Painterly Paint Pot, BB's equivalent is called Malt.

ORIGINAL POST: Finally! I first bought Bare Study because the color seemed perfect, but it turned out to be way too shimmery on my mid-30 eyes. Then I tried Painterly. I work everyday to take the pink OUT of my eye area so it doesn't look like I got punched and my eye skin matches the rest of me. Painterly was too darn pink for my taste and just put all that pink back in. I finally tried Soft Ochre but was sure it would be too yellow on my NW20 skin. WRONG! It is perfect! Applied well, it masks all the extra pinkness in my eye area and makes my eye socket blend in with the rest of my complexion. I have to be careful not to go up on to my brow bone or it does seem off, but it works faboo in the lid/crease area! It goes on smooth and makes a fantatstic base. I can't believe how long I have put off trying this because it looked so yellow to me in the pot (but perfect on me). I just hope it still looks good in the winter when I am whiter.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by lleux

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this paint pot. I got it because I have used the MAC paints for five years, but they either tear at the edges or release too much product without warning (I cannot tell you how many times I've had paint ooze from the tube at its own leisure, leaving me with wasted product). I'll still use my beloved paints, but I suppose I'll have to use them gingerly.

Soft ochre is a great color because it has no shimmer, is similar to my skintone, and offers full coverage over my eyelids for an even base tone. It's incredibly versatile and I just love how it seems to brighten your eyes up.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2010 4:02:00 PM More reviews by WesleysMom25

I like this. I bought this to wear under my eyeshadow as a bse. It makes my shadow last all day. It does not crease.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2010 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Emmi87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Good stuff!
I bought this for my wedding (Winter '09) when I got my makeup done at MAC and I haven't even come close to hitting the bottom! I use it everyday to prime my eyes for eyeshadow and its great. Doesn't crease or fade my eyeshadow at all. I'm definitely buying again but maybe try different shades, seeing as I'll have Soft Ochre for a while :) Packaging is classy and clean, too bad price is a bit much. But since it lasts this long, its worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2010 11:56:00 AM More reviews by dianasheglova

This is the only paint pot I own from mac. It's great as an eyshadow base, love the colour, the lasting power etc. I'm not really a fan of the packaging, because I like to apply it with my finger over my lid as I feel I have better control over, but by doing that I end up with a load of product under my nails, which is so disgusting! But I find that that is the best way to apply it..