Biotin (All brands)

3.5

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I bought the Spring Valley version. It was under $3 at my local Wal-Mart and the pills are very small and easy to swallow. I have only been using it for a week so this review will be updated. I am doing my opinion of it so far because of all the complaints of cystic acne. The brand I have has 1000 mcg of biotin per tablet but other brands have even higher amounts. The bottle I have says you can take up to 5 daily, I suggest you DO NOT do so. At least starting out... I know a lot of you are really impatient and want to see results as fast as possibly so you pop in 5 pills a day hoping to speed up the results, but the last thing you want is too take too much for your body, that will cause excess biotin in your system causing acne and possibly other side effects. Since different brands have different ranges of mcg's per tablet you don't want to risk taking way too much! 1000 mcg is already a fairly high amount if you have acne I suggest you start out take one lower. Start yourself out by taking one pill a day for a month and see the results, then you can try out taking more depending on that. I am currently taking one pill a day WITH A MEAL. And drinking plenty of water. Taking it with a meal allows the biotin to be absorbed better into your system. I have had no signs at all of acne. In fact my face has become softer and, although it's usually dry, it has become a little more moisturized. I haven't seen any effects on my hair or nails yet and I probably won't until after a month of taking it.. I will update this later! :)

on 1/10/2013 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been trying to grow my hair out lately and had read so much good stuff about biotin online, so I picked up a bottle of 1000mg tablets at Target for like $2.49. They were small and easy to swallow which is always nice because so many supplements are like horse pills. I started taking one along with my daily multi and within a week noticed that my nails were growing like weeds. They were very long, insanely strong and very pretty. I was psyched. My hair began falling out less and less and seemed stronger. Even more psyched. Then...my face went absolutely crazy. I broke out with these huge cystic pimples all over my face which were so painful and embarrasing. I did a quick google search and sure enough, excess biotin is known to aggravate acne. I stopped taking them about 2 weeks ago and my skin is now back to normal. The difference was so noticable-I stopped taking it, and within three days all the inflamed pimples were not swollen anymore and well on the way to healing. My nails are back to normal too though, they've all broken off. I gave this a 3 because it does what it's supposed to with the hair and nails, but it has the unfortunate side effect of bad breakouts. I'll take normal hair and nails over acne any day.

on 12/25/2012 5:14:00 PM

i started taking biotin in hopes for longer hair. i havent really noticed much growth however my nails grow like crazy and have become very strong (they were pretty weak before). I haven't noticed any of this cystic acne everyone is talking about in fact my face has become really soft and clear.
i have also started crushing up the tablets and mixing them into my shampoo and conditioner. i am hoping to see more results.

on 12/15/2012 3:55:00 PM

I started taking biotin because I am desperate for longer hair, as i cut almost 6 inches off a few months back. I also want my eyebrows to grow faster, so I can change the shape.
2 weeks:
So I have been taking biotin at 500mcg during the first week, and 750mcg the second week. I am now taking 1000mcg, and will probably go up to ~ 5000 mcg in the future. My nails already grow at a pretty good rate, but I think biotin helps them grow even faster, but not stronger(yet). I also feel like my eyelashes are ever so slightly longer. I haven't noticed it has done anything for my skin or hair length. I feel like I'm finally getting over the teenage acne stage but I still have somewhat acne-prone skin: blackheads on my nose, and a couple of pimples on my forehead or cheek, but I haven't noticed any additional breakouts. I usually take my dose of biotin with a multivitamin, and I make sure I drink enough water daily.

on 12/8/2012 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I looked into this not for hair at all, but to see if it would have any positive benefit on my skin or nails (I pick at them way too much).

Every day after I take 1000mg of Biotin, I break out the next day. The first day, nothing happens. But the next day my I have acne. It's not huge ones, but it's enough to realize the two are connected. Lots of tiny ones and/or clogged skin. I can't continue trying it to see if it does anything special due to how fast it brings on acne. And about the fact that drinking lots of water may offset the acne property - I don't really like the taste of water (filtered, bottled, tap, etc) so I don't want to have to drink tons of water either.

on 12/8/2012 3:27:00 PM

I seriously do not recommend anyone to take biotin if you have acne. Biotin really make you erupt in bad cystic acne. As for me, after took biotin for just two days, I had horrible acne. Normally, if we're to breakout I just have very small whiteheads. However, after I had took biotin for couple days, I had huge size pimples. The pimples were the size of a pea. I would rather have thin hair over bad skn. Please do not try biotin if you have a history of getting pimples. Biotin will seriously aggravate it a whole lot more.

on 11/29/2012 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I chopped my hair off to my shoulders in the summer and of course, regretted it as usual. So I thought hmm let me try this biotin I hear about online. So I bought Hair Skin and Nails vitamins with biotin in it.

After 2 weeks of taking it, my already thick hair grew a lot thicker (downside), but my hair did start to grow, and my nails grew like crazy! They were so strong and didn't chip or break. Needless to say I was excited.

Until I realized how bad my face was breaking out along the jaw line and my cheeks. My boyfriend even said wow are you on your period? And I had my period when I started Biotin. So I read that you have to drink tons of water with it, I did. I drank like 12 cups of water a day (yes I ended up using the bathroom ALOT) Even then, my breakouts were unbearable.

They were cystic pimples (which I haven't gotten since I was a teenager), they hurt so bad that if I laid on my side at night my entire face would ache because of the pimples I had. No joke.

So about 4 days ago I stopped taking the biotin although I loved my nail and hair results. And my skin is clearing up so much that it's ridiculous. I had pimples all over my face to the point that I was embarassed to leave the house without three layers of cover-up on. I read online people said you need to even out the biotin with Vitamin B6 Pills or whatever and I already take iron pills (anemic) and took the two huge horse biotin pills. So I wasn't going to add another vitamin in.

Also, the vitamins were HUGE and tasted terrible. I could barely get them down without gagging. I do not reccomend this to anyone with acne prone skin even if it's just horomonal breakouts that you get. The acne isn't worth the nice skin and thick longer hair.

So overall, skin had huge cystic aching acne, already thick hair was unbearble (barely able to brush it), but had nice thick nails and hair was growing a bit. I mean it wasn't much faster than usually.

on 11/8/2012 3:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm so happy I found out about Biotin. My hair has grown so much healthier. It feels thicker, softer, bouncier, more hydrated etc.
Due to the fact that my hair regimen is so strict and I have so many factors contributing to my hair growth, I can't say exactly how many inches I've gained with Biotin, however after 3 weeks I noticed thicker eyelashes, slightly thicker eyebrows, and my hair was also an extra inch and a half or so - so I'm guessing it could have been the Biotin.
I haven't experienced crucial breakouts with Biotin, I already have bad acne anyways. My water intake is pretty high, and I always try to eat a meal before I take Biotin, as it absorbs into the body better when it feeds off of other nutrients in the body, so I've heard.

on 9/30/2012 2:56:00 AM

So I bought Spring Valleys 1000 mcg Biotin. About three months ago I cut almost 10 inches of my hair off because it was dry and thinning. And my hair also grows so freaking slow. Call me impatient. I bought the biotin for my hair because its got so thin. Which became even worse due to a poor diet, stress, plus I never got trims. I've been taking two 1000 mcg a day for almost a month and I swear I already see results. I haven't noticed any hair growth but I noticed a few days ago that it feels silky and its more bouncy. It hasn't felt this healthy since I was little! I haven't seen a difference in my nails. The number one reason I'm going to keep taking biotin is because there's hardly any hair in my brushes! Before the biotin, I hardly ever brushed my hair because of how much it fell out. Now there's NEXT TO NO hair fall! Its amazing and it makes me so happy! I love brushing my hair because its been a while. I also drink multiple glasses of water everyday so I think that's why I haven't experienced any bad breakouts. But I totally recommend this to anyone. The Spring Valley 1000 mcg Biotin is cheap. You get 150 of them and they're really easy to swallow. I wonder why I haven't always taken this stuff! So good luck, I hope everyones results are as good as mine! :)

on 9/22/2012 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Biotin Works really great, i take them everyday and drink water ... trust me the more you drink water the faster the biotin work in your body.

Popular Treatments