September 20, 2014 | 1711 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 11:54:00 PM More reviews by hallieashman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was looking for a shadow that would be neutral in colour, matte and would cover my veins and such on my eyelids. I don't normally use MAC but was in the store for my daughter. I LOVE this. It goes on easily and smoothly - I used my fingers. It covers completely and looks natural. The colour is subtle and really brightens up my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

By far the best base I've ever used.

It's matte and, if you are fair-skinned, it'll look like your own eyelids except better. Paint it on from your lashline up to your brows & you can define the shape of your brows & cover irregularities in one fell swoop. It provides a great base for holding everything from neutral shadows to screamingly loud eye looks in place. Blending your eyeshadow becomes a dream.

Painterly will bring out the porcelain colour in your complexion. The best comparison I can make is the smooth Marilyn Monroe eye with what looks to be only eyeliner on.

If you have darker or dark skin, I have no doubt that it'll make your shadow pop.

If you're in doubt as to whether to go for Soft Ocre or Painterly, take a careful look at your complexion. If you have even a hint of sallowness, Soft Ocre will leave you looking jaundiced as it has genuinely earthy, ochre yellow undertones which aren't visible until you actually put it on (forget swatching your arm: that only gives a vague indicator of how it reacts on the eyelids).

Personally, I don't like frosts or shimmers up to the brow, especially as one gets older. This base really smooths out the appearance of crinkles on my eyelids.

I usually use this with a primer but, if I'm in a hurry, I'll brush it on straight onto my eyelid. If there's not even time to do a bit of shading and defining the crease of my eye, I just swipe on eyeliner & mascara & I'm good to go knowing it'll keep the eyeliner in place all day without any transfer or fading (erhem, so long as it's a reasonably good liner and not just barely better than a wax crayon from your grandchild's colouring book kit).

Did I happen to mention that I LOVE Painterly? No? I LOVE Painterly: it's the most versatile eyeshadow/primer/base I've ever had the pleasure of using!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

PROS
I got to swop it for something better
I thought of a new name for it - "Patchily"

CONS
It dried out
It didn't go on smoothly on my lids
I hate pots

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by esxtee

This product is amazing. I love how if i am in a rush i can apply this alone and it looks great. Nothing beats this as an eyeshadow primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by pollinad

This is one of my all-time favorite eyeshadow bases! It is the perfect skin tone for my fair skin, and evens out any discoloration on my eyelids. I apply this all over my eyelids with a brush, blend it out with my finger, then apply my powder shadows over top. Every time I've used this my eyeshadows have lasted all day, no creasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by ohsoosmexy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG! Need I say more?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148A

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've had my pot for over a year and I'm about to hit the bottom. This is one product I use pretty much everyday. My shadows, blushes, lipsticks vary from day to day, but Painterly is my go-to everyday shadow primer. I also use it to conceal blemishes and some discolorations. I've tried UD primers (all of them) and not one comes close to this paint pot. I will use it as long as MAC makes it. My lids are super oily, and this is the only product I've ever used that makes it possible to keep shadow from sliding off my lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by PerfumeMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG I love this! I didn't think I would like it at all. So I got three samples from my MAC counter (I love you, Trish!) This, Bare Study and Rubenesque. Thought I would love Rubenesque the best, but no, it was too shimmery and Bare Study was too champagne-y for my taste.

This is the perfect color! Yes, it is a little boring but it evens out my my skin tone in the eye area perfectly and nothing beats it as a base. It even looked good alone with lots of black mascara, my Prestige Total Intensity black pencil and liquid liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I use painterly on top of my Artdeco Eyeshadow base. It simply enhances the base and makes blending a lot easier. It gives a velvety finish that isn't sticky but catches color very well. This one's a staple. Plenty of product in the pot, will last me a long time.
I was torn between Painterly and Soft Ochre because I have golden tones to my skin and thought Soft Ochre would be more suitable, but finally went with Painterly since I was looking for reddish brown eyeshadows and didn't want the Soft Ochre to take away from that redness. HG material.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Rocky22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first primer I have tried so I do not have another brand to compare it too. With that said lets review!

I bought my jar two years ago and I am still not out, it took me a long time to figure out how to use it. A little dab goes a long way and you have to blend it out. Now that I finally know how to use it I love it it does make my e/s last all day with out having to reapply it however I have noticed its only good on MAC e/ s the cheap e/s fade out. It works well with neutral colors and mattes you can wear under any color as well.

I feel that this product worked for me and the shadows I like. This is pricy but I feel it was worth it I mean it lasts forever. I really like Mac and the quality that they offer, I will defiantly buy this again.