October 25, 2014 | 1073 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 7:15:00 AM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Dear MAC Paint Pot's....I am a believer! I am absolutely smitten with this product. This is my second one, my first purchase was Bare Study and I absolutely fell in love with it. The quality of these paint pots surpass any cream eyesahdow/base/primer I have ever tried. I've tried things from NYX's Eyeshadow Base to Urban Decay's Primer Potion and NYX's MIlk. I am an NC30, maybe even an NC35 if I'm super tan on a good day and this looks amazing on my skin tone. I was unsure of the undertone because I heard it had more of a pink or peach undertone, but I can't really see that. It definitely takes the place of concealer or foundation and covers my veins/purplish-blue from my eyelids. It makes me look polished and awake. It definitely brightens up my eye area. The texture is so creamy and amazing and it truly last for hours with no creasing/flaking/wearing off. It makes my eyeshadow look more pigmented and definitely keeps my eyeshadow perfect even if I sleep in it, which has saved my ass on days I fall asleep with my make up on and wake up late for work. For 18.50$ it seems a bit steep, but for the quality of this product it is beyond worth it, and i you think about it this will probably last well over a year!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by quickbrownfox

I use this every day. It has a beautiful nude color and also it makes my eye make up stay put the whole day. This is a good product for an everyday look and if I'm feeling adventurous I mix it up with Bare Study -which is a sheerer (and maybe teeny tiny bit pinker) version of Painterly. I think with this my make-up goes to the next level, it completes everything and my eye make up looks perfect. BUT, MAC, what kind of a packaging is this? If you don't use this everyday, it will get dried up like a stone. First it gets all cracked up and then it's unusable. I have 4 colors of paint pots, Painterly is the one that I use the most so it went dry slower than the others- but it still did. This is my third paint pot drying up like that. I'm using it like it's recommended, I keep it downwards in my make up drawer with the lid firmly closed. If they are recommending us to keep it in a special way, they are aware that paint pots dry up like crazy. So, MAC, how about changing the packaging to a better, non-product-drying box, instead of us recommending us tips to keep it from drying?

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 5:13:00 PM More reviews by mom2puddin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a wonderful product! I love that it totally conceals any redness or discoloration on my eyelids and provides a wonderful, uniform base to apply my shadows. I usually apply a primer underneath to provide longer wear. It's one of the few paint pots that I feel looks good on me all the time, and I love that it's matte without looking "dry." Plus, I feel like it really brightens my eyes. Definitely a must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by scrowley2328

I have been using this for almost 2 years and have yet to finish. I would say that it is excellent at what it does...which is prime my eyelids for shadow. A little goes a long way and makes the shadow even and wearable throughout an entire day.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2013 11:29:00 AM More reviews by helenavera

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is excellent stuff - I just bought my second pot. It covers eyelids perfectly and makes your eyeshadow pop. I can't do without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 11:54:00 PM More reviews by hallieashman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was looking for a shadow that would be neutral in colour, matte and would cover my veins and such on my eyelids. I don't normally use MAC but was in the store for my daughter. I LOVE this. It goes on easily and smoothly - I used my fingers. It covers completely and looks natural. The colour is subtle and really brightens up my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 10:02:00 PM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

By far the best base I've ever used.

It's matte and, if you are fair-skinned, it'll look like your own eyelids except better. Paint it on from your lashline up to your brows & you can define the shape of your brows & cover irregularities in one fell swoop. It provides a great base for holding everything from neutral shadows to screamingly loud eye looks in place. Blending your eyeshadow becomes a dream.

Painterly will bring out the porcelain colour in your complexion. The best comparison I can make is the smooth Marilyn Monroe eye with what looks to be only eyeliner on.

If you have darker or dark skin, I have no doubt that it'll make your shadow pop.

If you're in doubt as to whether to go for Soft Ocre or Painterly, take a careful look at your complexion. If you have even a hint of sallowness, Soft Ocre will leave you looking jaundiced as it has genuinely earthy, ochre yellow undertones which aren't visible until you actually put it on (forget swatching your arm: that only gives a vague indicator of how it reacts on the eyelids).

Personally, I don't like frosts or shimmers up to the brow, especially as one gets older. This base really smooths out the appearance of crinkles on my eyelids.

I usually use this with a primer but, if I'm in a hurry, I'll brush it on straight onto my eyelid. If there's not even time to do a bit of shading and defining the crease of my eye, I just swipe on eyeliner & mascara & I'm good to go knowing it'll keep the eyeliner in place all day without any transfer or fading (erhem, so long as it's a reasonably good liner and not just barely better than a wax crayon from your grandchild's colouring book kit).

Did I happen to mention that I LOVE Painterly? No? I LOVE Painterly: it's the most versatile eyeshadow/primer/base I've ever had the pleasure of using!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

PROS
I got to swop it for something better
I thought of a new name for it - "Patchily"

CONS
It dried out
It didn't go on smoothly on my lids
I hate pots

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by esxtee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is amazing. I love how if i am in a rush i can apply this alone and it looks great. Nothing beats this as an eyeshadow primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by pollinad

This is one of my all-time favorite eyeshadow bases! It is the perfect skin tone for my fair skin, and evens out any discoloration on my eyelids. I apply this all over my eyelids with a brush, blend it out with my finger, then apply my powder shadows over top. Every time I've used this my eyeshadows have lasted all day, no creasing.