September 30, 2014 | 951 users online

Hair Styling Tools - GHD - IV Styler (all sizes)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 7:24:00 PM More reviews by PinkSoFoxy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have naturally Thick Dark Brown, Dry, Frizzy, Semi-Curly, Poofy, Fluffy, Unmanageable, Damaged Looking Hair. And when it rains...the real fun begins. Sounds Lovely...yes? I've tried almost every hair product out there that promises straight, sleek hair. Nothing could tame this mess. I've also tried other ceramic flatirons which helped to straighten a little bit but my hair still had the thick, poofy look. Then I found the GHD Styler. I can't believe this is my hair! It's the hair I've wanted my whole life! Super silky, straight, sleek, smooth, shiny, healthy looking hair! This GHD is the ultimate secret weapon if you want perfectly silky straight hair! I purchased mine at Sephora for $240. At first it may sound expensive but if you straighten your hair almost everyday like me, it's well worth the price.

*My other HG hair product that I could not live without is: Loreal Styliste in iced champagne (in the hot pink box) For more info on this checkout my review.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by dominicangirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love the GHD IV styler. I have both the normal plate size and wide plate...I prefer the wider one for my thick long hair as it takes less time.

It heats up super quickly and straightens my hair very easily. I have naturally curly hair that I chemically straighten it but it still stays wavy, and when my roots grow out they're curly so I need to straighten my hair. Needless to say, this straightens all my tight curls and waves. I only wash my hair once a week, and 1 straighten with these on a sunday night lasts me until the next sunday I wash it. I only need to straighten my hair once per week with these GHDs, no other straightner has allowd me to do that before.

They're pricey but worth it. I love the fact that when I travel abroad, I can take these with me and not worry about voltage, because the IV styler adapts to whatever voltage is in the country you're staying in. Great for when I have to go and see the family back in the Dom Rep where it's hot and humid in the summer and I don't want to look like afro man.

The GHD makes my usually rough, dry, damaged hair look soft and smooth. I really do love this straightner and I would recommend it to those with hard to manage hair. If you have straight hair I wouldn't recommend this -- it's too much heat than you need. Especially if you're a person who straightens your hair everyday, DO NOT get these! They will damage your hair like crazy because they get so hot. However, if you only use them a few days a week or once a week like me, definatly consider it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by krisras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A few months ago, I was in the market for a flat iron. Mind you, my hair is straight-wavy, fine, and have tons of it. Though, my hair is very easy for others to style, I could never do anything with it. My mother has a CHI Nano, which she loves (she has coarse and very curly hair). So, I did some research and was set to purchase the CHI, until I learned about GHD from another forum. I read that it was expensive, but totally worth it and was advised to pick it up at Sephora, as they have a great return policy.

So, off to Sephora I went. Sticker shock set in after I bought it, but convinced myself I would return it, if I was not 100% in love with it. I brought it to my mom's house to compare with her CHI.

At a glance, both irons were very solid and comfortable in the hand and heated up very quickly. I decided to try the CHI first and found that it clamped down rather firm and had to pull it through my hair. Also, it created several dents in my hair. Of course, I thought it was operator error, as I am not good with hair. Next, I tried the GHD, which was so much easier for me! It did not clamp down as hard and it slid easily through my hair. As a total newbie, I thought my hair looked great for my first try. Since then, I have gotten better and working with my hair has been fun.

Products I use include: CHI Iron guard right before and then CHI Silk Infusion after and my hair looks great! Sometimes I use Bed Head After Party, which is also nice. To avoid drying out my hair, I do not flat iron daily and use this practice for any heat tool.

Just wanted to mention that to get great results from any styling tool, you must start out with a great cut and maintain it. When I first tried my GHD, I was really in need of a cut, as my ends were dry. The GHD did a good job, but after my visit to the salon, results from my GHD were awesome!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2009 5:44:00 PM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

You get what you pay for...and this is the Rolls Royce of stylers. I finally forced myself to shell out the money for it. I don't regret it! It takes some practice, but you can do so much with this. It is the best product I've used. And yes, obviously, applying 300 degrees to your hair every 2 or 3 days WILL cause damage. Duh. So use a protectant and get haircuts and do deep conditioning. But all in all, it is very effective. If you have any doubts about it, just divide the total price by the number of times you'd use it. Would you be willing to pay that amount daily? For well-styled hair, I would.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 3:31:00 PM More reviews by michelle005

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love my ghd. I've owned it for about 6 months now. I have the hot pink one which I got from Sephora and it came with a roll mat, a zip-up case, two hair clips and a dvd, and a portion of the proceeds goes to breast cancer research (a small portion, but a portion nonetheless). My hair is color treated and naturally curly/wavy and this baby straightens it like no other! I was previously using a Solia (which I thought was soooo expensive, haha) and it doesn't even compare. Even on the highest temp I was having to run the Solia through my hair multiple times. With the ghd I glide it down once and it's perfectly straight and frizz free. It also makes my hair shine like crazy. I have gotten so many compliments, from girls at the nail salon, to Sephora SA's, to even a homeless man on the street (I am not kidding...just yesterday I walked by this guy who I thought had asked me for change and when I said, "what?" he goes, "your hair...it's so fiery red, so shiny and pretty!" ha!). It’s also the only flat iron I’ve ever been able to curl with…works really well for that once you get the hang of it. I do admit the price is pretty outrageous. It took a lot for me to shell out this much but it was something I wanted SO BAD so finally I just bit the bullet and I'm really glad I did.

Just a little advice about all the “good deals” on ebay…don’t buy it. 99% of them are counterfeit. I tried it myself…won a white “pure” ghd for around $140 which I was so excited about. I received it and it felt like it was made of cheap materials, but I WAS able to register it on the ghd website so I thought maybe it was real. Just to be sure I called the ghd customer service line and talked to a representative. She told me the main way to tell if it is counterfeit is that ALL ghds have grounded plugs (the box plug with the test/reset buttons). My ebay ghd had a plain plug, not a grounded one. She also told me that as of that date (6 months ago) ghd had not released any irons with holograms on the tag or box in the US. Now, don't confuse this with the UK models because I heard they DO have holograms, but the US ones DON'T. A ton of the ebay listings try to pass theirs off as being real because of the "official holograms", so BEWARE! Luckily I got my money refunded from the seller the same day. That is when I discovered that if it seems too good to be true it probably is. Please don't get one off ebay or anywhere else that is not a reputable source! I recommend Sephora. Not only are they trustworthy, but they have the best return policy ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2009 2:41:00 PM More reviews by portia936

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i got this last year and its still going strong, absolutly amazing straightener i honestly dont know how i survived without it before, i love love love it.
definatly worth the money even though it is quite expensive
and the only reason i wouldn't buy it again is cos i know mine will last forever

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by pmiddle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

WOW!! After months and months of debating whether or not to fork out the cash for this baby, I finally took the plunge! I ended up buying the pink version (of course!) because it was only $15.00 more and part of that money is donated to cancer research. I do think that at over $300.00 cdn that this flat iron should come with the mat, clips and case that the original version came with. However, that said, this is THE best investment I've made in my beauty arsenal in a long time!! I have fine, high-lighted hair, that is a bit on the thinner side, but it has a slight natural wave that gives me tons of body. Because my hair is thin and fine, a flat iron that straightens has never been the problem for me, as usually one swipe does it with any iron. My problem was finding one that curls. OMG! Does this baby curl! I used the GHD heat protectant and the Creation spray first, and then - within 5 minutes (literally! - I timed it!) I had the the most lovely curls!! YAY!! And .... I'm not sure if it's the iron or the Creation spray - but this morning, after being out for 6 hours last night, and sleeping on it for another 8 hours, my hair still has perfect, bouncy curls! I love it! According to the very lovely and helpful SA at Sephora, the key is not just in the rounded plates, but in the fact that the plates rock back and forth, which gives it the ability to give the hair a more rounded curl. This iron comes with an instructional DVD and booklet. The SA assured me that I could return this for a full refund at any time with the reciept or for a store credit without the reciept. Although this little gadget hurt my wallet, I am thrilled that I finally bought it. My only concern is that there is no temperature control. On my fine hair, that could turn out to be a nightmare, so although I always use a lot of heat protectant on my hair, I will have to keep an eye out for any breakage. Hopefully, because I only flat iron or curl my hair 2-3X a week, this won't be a problem. All in all, this iron is absolutely worth the investment!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2009 3:27:00 PM More reviews by manda9794

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this product is AMAZING!! my only regret in purchasing this product is that i waited so long to get it. i have not found it to be too damaging. bioionic, chi, and fhi did much more damage to my hair and made it look quite burnt, not shiny, sleek, and alive at all like the GHD does. i havent perfected how to do curls yet but for straightening and flips, it works wonders. the price is steep but for me its well worth it as my styling time has been cut down tremendously and i never have a bad day with the GHD. it does snag the hair a bit if u put the iron at a funny angle but with a little practice u will get the technique down and that will happen far less often. it heats in literally like 20 seconds and keeps the hair looking full instead of fried. if u flat iron your hair on a routine basis, the GHD is definitely a worthy investment! u wont regret it :-)
PS. make sure u purchase the GHD from an authorized GHD retailer! i purchased mine from sephora.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2009 4:55:00 PM More reviews by lions79

This flat iron is extremely damaging to the hair. I have used many flat irons since I was 13 years old, including the Chi, Solano, Solia, even a super expensive one that I had to get through my stylist. None of them have ever fried my hair like this. The GHD doesn't have a temperature control like a lot of other irons I've tried and it gets extremely hot. I was really hoping this iron would be gentler to my hair since ghd touts it's technology as being healthier for the hair. Don't believe it, it's completely not true. I am freaking out now because all of my hair is breaking off. I am off to get a haircut and then I am returning the ghd to Sephora and will go back to my Solia which has a temperature control.
UPDATE: I have since purchased the FHI Runway which has 5 layers of ceramic baked in with tourmaline on top and I looooove it!!!! It has adjustable temp. control and my hair is in much better condition! I got a great deal online so it was about the same price I paid for the GHD. Honestly, I think the GHD is way overpriced for what you get. I liked my Chi and Solia way better and they were a fraction of the price. But I've now found my HG flat iron in the FHI Runway.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2009 10:34:00 PM More reviews by canadaustralia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So, I gave in an ordered a GHD. I was expecting it to be good, but I never thought it would be THIS good.

I was currently using a metropolis straightener. I had to put in on the highest heat to make it work. It worked, but I'd have to go over the hair multiple times. The iron would be so hot, it would actually hurt to touch my hair afterwards- no joke.

Then the GHD. I was expecting it to be hotter as I figured hotter equals better. The GHD is amazing. Oh my goodness, it straighteners effortlessly. And my hair is no where near hot after using it. So I'm actually not frying my hair as much. Yay- so happy I forked out the money for this.