TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 3, Avobenzone 3. Inactive: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Styrene-DVB Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethyhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

on 9/18/2010 6:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Finally! A tinted moisturizer I can use that has great coverage!!! Usually, tinted moisturisers make me oily as well as not covering very well.
I bought it from strawberrynet as it is pretty hard to find in Australia now. It was also much cheaper!
It has a sunscreeny smell - which I like for some strange reason but it fades away quite quickly. I love that it has sunscreen in it and that it is lightly moisturising. It seems to sit nicely into the skin without sinking in the pores.
The colour is a great match and it doesn't break me out. I am very prone to break outs with suncreens and tinted moisturisers for some reason. I tried Laura Mercier's tined moisturiser but found that the oil free version made me very oily and the normal version was a better colour match until I got outside. I also found a series of bumps on my skin after using it.
This product is quite light while having quite good coverage. I need concealer for super pigmented spots. It also does not make my skin spotty or itchy. Horrah!
It has great coverage and staying powder with some Nude By Nature Finishing Veil.
I love it and recommend it highly!

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Coarse

I'm NW20 at MAC and in the summer NW25, Light/medium covers both those skin tones for me. I love the way this product applies. It doesnt sink into my pores or oxidize. One thing is that i would highly reccomend wearing a light powder over it just to set it. In the long run it will help I'm only on my 3rd bottle and i've been using this since.. um around November of last year.. so a lot of product. The price is really high but you get a lot of product. So it evens out. One bottle has lasted me 3 months with every day application... So.. :) I like it better than the 40$ Laura Mercier.. so take that as an example.. :)

on 7/31/2010 7:27:00 PM

i was never big on tinted moisturizers till i tried this, i love this product its medium coverage, feels soo nice on. i do apply a T powder over it just keep help keep the coverage all day. it doesn't really have a smell which i like. and i love that it has a 18 SPF

on 7/31/2010 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this because thebalm was having a promotional deal with 50% off its merchandise and free shipping on June 21st to welcome summer. I was running out of my normal TM and decided to give this a try. I bought the shade light/medium while I was tanned at a NC 30-35ish. It is a really nice match and evens out my skin tone. I don't wear foundation during the day, but this provides enough coverage that with a dusting of powder on top it works all day. I have a bit of redness in my cheeks (though it goes away in the summer when I tan), so I can't say for sure how it works with redness yet. I also really like the packaging because you can squeeze out the amount you need and remains hygienic. I like that the top is a flip top, and not a screw top like a lot of my other TM's. I think this may be my new favorite TM and I definitely will continue to repurchase, even at full price.

on 5/25/2010 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is one of the best Tinted Moisturizers I have tried! I recommend it to anyone looking for a new TM to try. My skin tends to be on the oily side and I can still use this in the summertime. I'm NC20 and I got the Medium shade and it was fine, I'd rather my foundation be a tad too dark than too light. I don't think the price is too bad but If you can catch it on sale I highly recommend giving it a try!

on 5/15/2010 12:32:00 AM

If I could give this a higher rating, I would! I am a fair NC20 with combo/oily skin. For those reasons, I prefer to have a tinted moisturizer in the summer, as opposed to a heavy matte foundation that I wear in the winter months. I also like products with SPF in them, as wearing SPF alone, even with claims to be non-greasy, always make me look like an oil slick or clogs my pores. Enter Balm Shelter. This product does everything I want and more.

It hydrates my skin sufficiently without the need for another moisturizer underneath. The coverage is great---easily hides any redness or uneveness, and doesn't settle into any lines or wrinkles, nor does it emphasize any dry patches. The SPF is an added bonus and does not clog my pores. Lastly, it dries to nice matte finish, without looking fake or cakey. I top this off with a light pressed powder and I'm good to go all day long. It really does control my oil and doesn't oxidize and turn orangey on me. Most TMs I have tried do and are returned immediately. The packaging is great, in that it is in a sanitary squeeze tube. My only grip is the price. It is $32 CDN, but a little does go a long way. I have to keep in mind that this product is doing the job of 3-in-1, so I really shouldn't complain.

on 5/7/2010 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am really loving this right now! As the warm weather approaches I decided I needed to track down a tinted moisturizer. I noticed TheBalm has started selling products in Canada now. I found this line at Rexall and London Drugs.

I sampled light-medium and medium shades and decided to go for light-medium. The coverage is way better than I had expected so I am delighted with that aspect. The colour is perfect and I haven't noticed any colour shift as the day goes on. It is a fairly large tube IMO at 2.25 fl oz. I have fairly dry skin so the added moisture is a bonus (I still apply moisturizer before this). The sunscreen element is great (SPF 18), my skin really likes it, and my face looks brighter and more even with this on. Never shiny or greasy looking.

The one weird thing about this product was the tube it came in. 'SPF 18' was crossed out where ever it was written on the tube. That freaked me out a little bit so I contacted the company to ask what was up. The emailed me back the same day with this explaination. I was very impressed with the timely reply!

"Our product does in fact contain SPF 18, however in Canada Sun Protection is considered a drug and we are waiting to have this approved in Canada before we can legally claim the sun protection. This is why we have to legally mark off of the product until it is accepted by Canada, soon we will not have to mark this off our products."

So if you live in Canada - that is why it is crossed out. A bit pricey at $32CDN but I will keep using it if it keeps giving me these results!

on 4/25/2010 7:11:00 AM

I totally love this products! omg heaven!!! it's gonna be my HG. though i also love my bb creams :). This also work like a bb cream, but it has till medium shade. IT really can cover pores, my dark circles, polished and even out our skintone. A MUST buy products. Even i myself as a guy wear this. I hate foundation makes one, look fake and like a drag queen. bb cream and this tinted moisturizer make ppl look like having nothing on, but it gave a polished and even toned skin :) HURRAY to thebalm :)

EDIT: i have mix with boots no7 illuminating lotion. THE RESUT IS Fantastic ... this tinted moisturizer is my HG!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I first bought this product in the summer, when I was in the sun and tan. It had great coverage, went on really smoothly, and I got a lot for my money (compared to other TMs).

One downside is that it's not oil-free, so be prepared for breakouts depending on your skin type. However, I do have bad acne in general, but I found that this didn't really have a drastic effect (whether positive or negative) on my skin.

Another downside is that, yes, it does run dark, and it only has three color choices! I'm pretty sure that if there were more choices, way more people would use this product. As soon as summer ended and I stopped being in the sun so much, I looked like a crazy person with obvious dark makeup on my face, so I haven't been able to use it since, since I miss it.

My advice is to go to a store and try it on (rather than getting it online blindly), and see if it really works for your skin type. If it does....lucky you!

Also, the packaging is great. It's so much easier to get out than other brands, like Stila for example.

I LOVE THIS THING. It evens out my skintone and brightens it. And it keeps my face all moisturized throughout the day. I love it. And it lasts pretty long too. I had it for a month and my mom was like..."Did you use this yet?" LOL. The only downside is the price...$25.

Top Rated TheBalm Products