April 23, 2014 | 1118 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2007 11:17:00 PM More reviews by GiNNERS112

I have the Light/Medium tint, which I wanted something that actually makes me look tanish and it works. Covers a lot of my redness, but sometimes the sunscreen smell is a little too much for the morning. Stays on through workout and don't leave my face as grease as before without it. Right when I tested it in Sephora I could feel soft my face had become from this.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by fabulous_crystal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG!!!!! Why has no one commented on the fact that this has castor oil?????? I slathered it on my face, confident that it would be my HG tinted moisturizer after reading the reviews here and on the drugstore.com website....and then i got three massive pimples and other smaller bumps....and then i read the label.....CASTOR OIL!!! why!!!! it's one of the worst things you can put on your face if you are break-out prone....i am going to try to send it back, put i already threw out my receipt and the shipping label and all that stuff....DON"T BUY THIS!!! if i could give this a zero i would

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2007 5:31:00 PM More reviews by funnygirl131

This is a tinted moisturizer that actually matches my light skin. It isnt a very thick moisturizer ,so it blends easily . if you need more coverage than I don't think it would be for u unless you want a sheer wash of color over concealer.
update; I can only use this in the winter as it slides off my face very easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2007 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Gail2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Even if we don't go out of doors without a sombrero or bonnet, sun protection is still a must. We fair skinned ones have a special need to block those damaging rays that cause (heaven forbid; knock on wood; please, not yet, we're still too young) wrinkles.

So, we've tried a bevy of sun screens. Many were so greasy that we looked oily (an enhancement for sardines, does little for people). Other products felt heavy and tended to clog pores. Our favorite foundation has zip SPF, and we do need some color! Then along came Balm shelter.

This terrific product comes in three skin tones, and not only offers the appropriate amount of moisturizing but also sufficient sun protection - SPF 18! It's a very silky formulation that glides on easily with sponge or fingers, leaving skin soft and looking great. The result is a healthy, glowing, polished look.....and no need for sombreros or bonnets.

- Gail Cooke

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2007 3:06:00 PM More reviews by smiley888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is a 2.25oz of tinted moisturizer for $25! i usually get Tarte Smooth Operator for 1.7oz/$35 but that's another story...so BalmShelter is non-comedogenic and has SPF18 in it.... i usually prep with sunscreen anyways(ocean potion face spf45 when i'm going out), but even without any facial prep the BalmShelter is still creamy enough to apply by .itself! it might smell faintly of sunscreen but it's NOT a bad scent. the color is a very sheer wash (i own Light) and does not offer heavy coverage initially; you can dot and conceal the spots that need more coverage, but this is no foundation or concealer (i don't suggest this for people who want total coverage outta their TM). it is a mostly matte finish; by the end of the day, it doesn't feel like i put anything on my face which is great because i'm not a foundation person :) so far nothing wrong, so it's my HG TM!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2007 10:42:00 PM More reviews by i_darling

I love this product! How do I love it? Let me recall the ways...it's easy to tote around in it's hygienic little tube, it's got great coverage that lends an even, sheer, healthy glow to the skin, it doesn't exacerbate my troublesome skin, it's reasonably priced for the quality of what you get, the color match is pretty good and natural, lasts long...overall just an awesome product. I use the light-medium and that works (although it gives me a bit of a slight 'had-some-sun' glow) for now. In the winter I'd probably have to go with the light shade. For reference, I'm a NW 25-27/Stila Shade D/40-50 watts. I've tried tons of TMs (WnW, LM, Stila, Chanel, Tarte, Covergirl, Origins, Mark, E.L.F) and would compare it in quality to the oil-free LM product (in terms of comparable texture, coverage, and running a bit on the dark side shade-wise). This one is just great! The one thing I could ping it for is the scent. It smelled a bit like plain, chemical-ly sunscreen going on but quickly faded. It wasn't that big of a deal to me so even that can't deter my recommendation. I'm so glad I tried it and would recommend others to as well if you're looking for a great TM at a great price that won't break you out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2007 10:04:00 PM More reviews by SophiaSeidner

I've been trolling the MUA reviews for years. They are such a blessing. I never felt compelled to write a review but as this is a new product and it is so good, I really want it to succeed. I have tried every tinted moisturizer/ no foundation foundation on the market and this one is definitely the best one I have ever used. The color selection is horrible but if you are light skinned and have skin that tends towards the oily this could be for you in the lightest shade. It isn't too heavy (like Laura Mercier) and just feels nice and moisturizing and light. It covers red and unevenness really well and is good at minimizing pores. It doesn't look entirely obvious you have it on like so many others. You will need some concealer for darker spots and blemishes. But the most important thing is that my skin has completely cleared up since I started using this instead of Origins' Nude and Improved. The irony is now that I'm out of that vicious cycle of needing to wear TM to cover redness and spots from break outs that are probably a result of the TM I may not really need it as much. But the point is this stuff is truly non-comedogenic unlike pretty much every other TM I have tried. And if you're acne prone then you may need some coverage and then that coverage breaks you out even more and the cycle is endless. This stuff may help you end that cycle but you'll still probably want to keep using it. Once they put a better color selection out, this product will be far superior then much more expensive TM's out there.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2007 1:25:00 AM More reviews by oO_PaNd0Ra_Oo

Okay, at first I hated this, it went on looking shiny and oily. I wanted to wipe it right off! I decided to give this a second try with a little lighter hand and applied with a sponge and wow! Made my fine lines and hyperpigmentation look even. My skin looked toned and the coverage is surprisingly medium! Not totally sheer but not makeupy looking either! It leaves the slightest glow/sheen, but not frosty or glittery at all, more of a natural dewy glow. I used a small amount of sheer powder over this and my skin stayed looking glowing and even all day! The SPF factor is great too! I am now using this every day, and for summer it's a great alternative to foundation. I have to say the color runs a bit on the dark side. I am a medium yellow tone and their Light-medium is almost a little too dark for me, so I wouldn't recommend for very pale toned skin. Also the tones are a bit peachy, but they blend well. If you are olive toned it may not work for you. I'd say PERFECT if they had a better range of colors and tones, but it IS a tinted moisturizer so you can't expect a huge range of colors. Overall it's a great product but not an HG for me.