September 23, 2014 | 1083 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2008 12:04:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Oh boy. I couldn't even give this a decent test-run because it was just too orange on me. It looks orange coming out of the tube and, well-blended into my light, yellow-toned skin, looks peach. Are there really folks out there that have apricot undertones? I just don't understand. The texture, etc. seemed OK, but again--the color put me off so much that I couldn't give it even a day of wear. Maybe if I swing by another Sephora I'll check out the Light color. But they really need to expand their color range. Anyway, since I don't fancy the idea of a peachy face and yellowy neck, I will stick to my Laura Mercier Nude.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2008 12:27:00 PM More reviews by DolphinC

I bought time Balm in Light and Balm Shelter in Light based on the reviews here. Both are going back. Have to say I am quite surprised at how much everyone really likes both. The Balm Shelter has a chemical smell, but does go away within minutes, I assume itís the sunscreen. It goes on well and seems to blend into my very fair skin. The first day I tried, one of my boys asked me if I put a fake tanner on my face. I only had this on for a bit, and became quite aware of slight orange it gave me. Washed off and tried next day with a lighter hand. Looked good for first few hours, got some shine so powdered over it some, but seemed to have an orange glow again. I even asked people I worked with and everyone says what I was doing before looked better. Wanted to try one more time, so this morning around 8am put some on, blush, eyeliner and mascara. Itís 11am and just caught a glance in mirror, oily and orange! Iíve also noticed a few pimples, like the oily ones that pop up right under thin skin layer in last couple days. Iím going to wash my face off now and pack this up for return. Iím really glad it has worked for others so well. I have combination skin and almost always where the 2nd lightest foundation color or light when only a few available. So far, mixing my own minerals have worked best for me for color and sometimes mix with serums. Until the next try. . .

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by scarlettOH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Meh.. This stuff looked ok at first, but it oxidizes and turns orange and oily after a while. It looked very unnatural, orange and shiny on my face. This went back to Sephora.
I like Tarte's smooth operator much better than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2008 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Scott77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Wow!!! Inexpensive per ounce. This is the perfect product to add moisture and erase the white cast left by many sunscreens. This does not look fake. It makes your skin look better but doesn't look like you put makeup on!

UPDATE: This stuff is fantastic. Totally removes the white cast left by sunscreen but doesn't look like makeup. Just looks like good skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 12:20:00 PM More reviews by swirlsschmurls

Limited colour choice, but I think it's still fairly alright, as long as you're not very pale or very dark. Anyway, I'm glad for all the people for whom this worked because if it looks as good on their faces as this did on my hand when I tested it out, then it's definitely HG material. But when I actually bought it and tried wearing it, it didn't give me any of the promised polish or glow, and instead, it just never sank into my skin. Just sat there and made me look oily. I've tried several different ways to make it work, with primers, powders, anything to help it settle and to mattify my skin without killing the dewy look that I was going for, but to no avail. I'll use up the tube just because I waited ages to get this, but definitely not a repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2008 9:05:00 PM More reviews by dralim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Excellent TM for my combo skin. Gives good coverage with no shine. Lasts all day. Leaves skin looking even, yet natural. Definitely highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2007 8:30:00 PM More reviews by jirish

I purchased this tinted moisturizer while on vacation in the summer. I bought it because of the color and coverage. Now in the winter months, I like it even better as it covers all my redness and keeps me moisturized. It is very thick and provides good coverage. I think its thicker than most tinted moisturizers but it doesn't make me oily. I have used Bobbi Brown (not recommend) and Laura Mercier ( great coverage and good color choice) tinted moisturizer and I would rank this with Laura Mericer but better because of the price.

I would buy again as the price is great and it is long lasting. Even when I travel for business, it has staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2007 5:07:00 PM More reviews by kkbears1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

All I use is TM. I think I've tried them all. This has to be one of the best I've ever used. It has good staying power and evens out the tone (I wear Light) and feels very shear on, I will surely buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2007 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Britannia8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I didn't have this long enough to see if it would make me break out, but it sure made me greasy. I just don't do well with tinted moisturizer I am too oily. Immediately after I put this on I was so shiny it was gross. Powder and blotting papers did nothing to control the shine

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2007 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Poppylovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't have too much experience with tinted moisturizers (so I can't compare this with too many others). In fact, the only other one I have tried, as far as I can remember, is Stila's. That one was too greasy/shiny looking on my skin. This one is wayyy better. It hasn't caused me any breakouts (Stila's gave me a few pimples every time I would use it) and it looks soo much better. This one doesn't get shiny/oily like Stila's did on me. This one looks fresh and natural (I put a bit of powder on top if I am going out, but sometimes I'll just leave it by itself and it will be fine). It provides good coverage for a tinted moisturizer (it's not going to cover pimples by itself or patches of discoloration or anything major like that- it's meant to even out your skin tone and improve the look of your complexion). Also, I would just like to note, that I find the shades are a bit light. It's not a problem for me because I have found a match (Light-Medium for my NC35 complexion) but darker skin tones may have a problem finding a color match (unless they have come out with more shades, sorry I haven't checked recently). I would probably purchase the medium for the summertime, but light-medium is good for my winter skin tone (still medium, but not as tan, but since it's a tinted moisturizer if you choose a color that's just one shade off it won't make too much of an obvious difference.)