September 17, 2014 | 1965 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by CopperPenny222

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this product for years. I think the tinting has gotten a little darker, but I love it anyway. I wear it everyday and it does irritate my skin the chemical sunscreens often do. I seriously don't know what i would do without it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 More reviews by jjaywilson

This is not for those with fair cool skin tones. The tint is too overwhelming for anyone with less than a medium skin tone, and it definitely for those with warm tones.

Other than the color, I did like the way this product felt. It moisturized, provided a nice bit of coverage from the sun, and didn't feel greasy in the slightest.

Edit:
I gave this product one more chance before returning it, and suddenly it didn't seem too yellow. I'm not sure what I was seeing before, but I really like this product now. It gets just a hint of coverage. I combine it with a tinted moisturizer when I want to look put together.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2010 8:33:00 PM More reviews by sonal79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well this sunscreen is good for acne prone people as it is oil-free, and it is not greasy. But I am about NC 40 and this gives me a whitish cast. For this reason, I wouldn't buy this again. It probably works for lighter skinned people though. It is good that this is a all physical sunscreen though.

Edit: I bought a new tube of this recently and somehow now it is not leaving a white cast now if I rub it in really properly. Also I notice it is not as light and yellow as it used to be, did they change the formulation. Hopefully it works well for me now, fingers crossed!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by mxk2

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I need to prefrace this review by saying I have used varying incarnations of City Block for about a decade - so I know my City Blocks. I finally used up the last of the Sheer SPF 15, which sadly is now discontinued, so I purchased the Sheer SPF 25. What the h*ll happened?!? The tint of the previous versions (even the 25) was perfect for those of us with lighter skin. This stuff is too dark and too golden for me. Second, it is greasy/oily - I can actually see a thin layer of oily on my hand when I squirt out a bit on the back of my hand so I can apply it. It also "balls" on the skin - the older versions never did this. Finally, while the previous versions of City Block had a soft, pleasant scent (a bit reminiscent of a coconutty-type scent), this stuff smells like....Band-Aids - yuck! I was so surprised at the changes I actually purchased a second tube, thinking perhaps I had gotten a bad or old tube, but it was the same story with the second tube. BOO HISS Clinique - you ruined what was previously as far as I'm concerned the best physical-only sunscreen on the market.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2010 11:09:00 PM More reviews by Lelik99

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this because of Paula beguns recommendations. I admit : the ingredients are beneficial for skin, but looks like they can't be enough for product to be great. I really hate the texture of it. It's very sheer and non oily. But when I put it on my skin, it balls up and doesn't moisturize that well. Pretty dissapointing(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 5:10:00 AM More reviews by anniemouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product; on me it works as SPF, primer and slight colour tint, all in one! It's the only VFM reasonably-priced sunscreen that I've found with titanium dioxide in it, plus loads of antioxidants (Paula Begoun approves!)
My only issue would be kind of petty - because I have stupidly dark eyebrows (think Rachel Weisz), and the product is tinted, it gets caught up in the hair and I have to painstakingly wipe it away - gah!
If I use powder over the top, it is super mattifying and my skin is so smooth - a definite repurchase, and I'm totally willing to spend the money on a high-end brand; because this does what it promises!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2009 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Emese1

Great product. Full of goodies for your skin. I have somewhat oily, acne-prone skin. In the summer (or more humid weather) I put EM Finishing dust or EL loose powder over it, so it's not sticky or shiny. But now, that the weather is so dry I don't put anything over it. But underneath I use Dermalogica Moisture Balance moisturizer. The color is perfect for me, though it's not visible. I have maybe NC 15-20 skin (Shiseido Lifting fdn O00), and this tint is just right. I wear it on days when I don't want to wear fdn and it fades the redness and some blemishes on my skin, though if you want to cover them properly wou'd need concealer, too. I work in an African country, and though the weather is dry, it's always sunny this time of the year, so it's good to know that I'm protected, when I'm outside. Having said that I hardly every spend any time out in the sun. It's not cheap, but I think it's worth it. I'm looking forward to the time when my skin is so perfect that I can just wear this always. (Though I'm beginning to accept my imperfect skin without having the compulsion to always cover it up.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2009 5:39:00 PM More reviews by aimeeb212

I am so disappointed that I had to stop using this product BUT it was causing a breakout. I used it for 2 weeks straight &really loved it. The consistency was amazing &the tint just evened out my skin (I am pretty fair tho) without feeling like I had foundation on. I wouldn't say it did much in the way of absorbing oil &I can't comment on whether or not it makes a good primer. It never burned when I put it on like most chemical sunscreens do (this is not a chemical sunscreen), but my skin just wouldn't tolerate it. I gave it 4 lippies tho b/c I think its a great physical sunscreen. I'm usually not a fan of Clinique either. Oh well, back to my ProActiv SPF15:(

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2009 5:50:00 PM More reviews by freckleP

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this thing. I live in New Zealand so sun protection is very important, even on a cloudy day.

I have dry, sensitive skin with freckles. The tint blends with my Asian skin tone effortlessly (it's almost like a primer to me), the consistency is easy to spread and it gets absorbed quickly. (The tint would suit Caucasian skin tone too. The SPF40 one is too pink for me.) It does get a tad greasy, just like all other sunscreens, but foundation still goes on top easily.

I like the shape of the tube and the way it dispenses - it's easy to control how much you need.

This gave me good protection with everyday use, I don't get a bloom of freckles. But if you were going to the beach, I would recommend re-applying it every 2 hours or get a higher SPF.

All in all, a very good product. Definitely would buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2009 6:29:00 AM More reviews by Jexxie123

This sunscreen has SPF 25 in it. It is oil free (thatís one thing I love about this sunscreen) and it is fragrance free. I have never experience breakouts with this. No pimples, nothing! It is silicone based primer and it is somehow tinted. I donít like the fact that it is tinted though. I have oily skin and it helps absorbs my excess oil. I use this as a primer below my foundation and other makeup application too. To be honest, I donít really like it as a primer. It doesnít really make my makeup stays on for long. At the end of the day (7-9 hours of application) it leaves my skin feeling greasy and not fresh at all (even though I use blotting papers throughout the day). Anyways, I still like this product as a sunscreen itself.