September 2, 2014 | 1019 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2008 11:17:00 AM More reviews by under2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this one before I bought the Luxiva Ultra Powder foundation (see my other review) and I really wanted to like it. My skin is super oily and pale and this stuff didn't help either one. The color match just wouldn't get there and it just slid off my face by noon. Horrible customer service at the MN studio, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 2:06:00 AM More reviews by KeriHawkins

I really love this foundation. I have tried a lot of mineral makeup, and this is the best so far. Aside from the fact that the coverage is great and very natural, you get a lot of product for the money. I have been using mine for over two months, and it seems I've barely made a dent in it. With other mineral foundations, I would run out within two to three months. I wish they would come out with a blush and mineral-veil type product to go along with this. It is just great!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 4:16:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

A truly excellent product. BE had terrible shades, settled into lines, made me oily, etc. Everyday Minerals didn't have a pale yellow-enough shade either. Merle Norman not only got the shade right (L20 fits my pale yellow NC/NW15 skin), it got the finish (glowy, never shiny on oily skin) and the application right (one step!). The lasting power is great and it does a good job controlling oil- I blot once a day at most. WIth mattifying foundations, I can blot every 2 hours! My only issue is coverage- my minor pinkish acne scars show through even with layering. Other than that, great product! UPDATE: NOOO! This became my favourite foundation ever, but little did I know how bad the shade was. Although tested in the store and on the inside of my arm it almost looked too light, I actually got comments about how badly the shade suited my skin. Too bad it's the lightest one!! My skin started looking amazing with this stuff, with it on and off. For those with medium-toned skin, jump on this incredible, long-lasting, high-quality stuff. No expensive finishing or priming powders needed.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2008 9:58:00 PM More reviews by vinson7567

I think this is a fantstic product. Several of the other mineral makeup lines I have tried require applying several layer of powders in different jars with a variety of prices. I have always been a Merle Girl and when I found this product, I found my favorite minerals. It is by far the best buy @ 25.00(USD) for the equivalent of a bare minerals XL jar. No mixing,no sealing, no ten steps. 1 brush 1 jar and 1 minute to do my makeup.I would recommend this product before any of the other mineral products on the market. Also, keep in mind each line of makeup is coming out with their own line of minerals so check your favorite brand. This way youa void the error of info-commercial bad shade choices, someone teaches you the right way to put it on, and you don't have to sign up for an automatic withdrawl from your bank account like with TV offers. Also check the igredient list. Many mineral makeups contain fake man made minerals. Also there has been some contreversy over how small/fine the mineral makeup needs to be ground up to. Nano or micronized ingredients loose their enficial effects to the skin!!! So WATCH OUT!! Also you can view almost all mineral makeups on the market and their ingrdients @ http://people.delphiforums.com/tracikenyon/IngredList22405.html
Hope this helps! ~Lisa

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by lil_kismet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although I can't say I've tried as many brands of mineral makeup as some previous reviewers, I can say that between Bare Escentuals, Alima, and Merle Norman, I have seen the BEST results with Merle Norman! BE ($31 CAD/9g) felt rather heavy on the skin, didn't have the best lasting power and made my normal-dry skin oilier than usual. I liked Alima ($18.50US + shipping/10g) because it felt significantly lighter on my skin, gave me nice coverage, but lasting power wasn't the greatest, sometimes it made my skin a little bit oily, and I've had a difficult time finding a satisfying match for my skintone. So, once again, I turned to MN ($38 CAD/14g) after discovering they had somewhat recently come out with mineral makeup of their own. I've always loved MN foundation and found it to be the best out there, but eventually decided to jump onto the MMU bandwagon as I liked the idea of wearing makeup made from more natural ingredients, which MN didn't have at the time.

Well, now that they have come out with a MMU line, I've found an amazing colour match with L20 for my light asian complexion with olive undertones. It is very finely milled, looks incredibly natural on, provides EXCELLENT coverage, very buildable without looking like its been overdone, has EXCELLENT lasting power, and is truly WEIGHTLESS in feel (even compared to Alima foundation), and doesn't make my skin feel oily after a few hours of wear (unlike all other MMU I have tried). I am left with a LUMINOUS, flawless, airbrushed-looking complexion. The only downfall is that I do find it to be a bit on the expensive side (although you do get a LOT of product). Regardless, now I *know* that my quest for the PERFECT foundation (be it mineral foundation, liquid foundation, tinted moisturizer, powder foundation...) ends here with the Merle Norman cosmetic line.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2008 12:28:00 AM More reviews by CS55

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Usually I agree with the reviews on here, but I have to say I'm really disappointed with this makeup. First of all, my complexion is very pale almost Nicole Kidman-like, so it's difficult finding a foundation that matches my skin tone. I bought L10, the lightest shade, which looked fine in the store, but in natural light was too dark and pink-orange on my skin. Also, it could have been the MN moisturizer that I used or the shimmer, but my pores looked bigger and fine lines more noticable. At least this makeup comes off easily and didn't dry out my skin. Overall this really didn't work for me especially for the price ($30), so I'm planning on returning.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 11:35:00 AM More reviews by liv27

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Fabulous! I was a committed Bare Essentials customer for almost a year before discovering the Merle Norman mineral makeup. First of all, it is nearly twice the quantity of one BE mineral compartment. Secondly, the price is not bad at all considering the quantity you're getting. I wear these minerals over the Luxiva Sheer Defense tinted moisturizer and I am good to go for the day. Throughout the day, no touch ups are needed!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2007 2:11:00 PM More reviews by ctraywick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best mineral makeup I have found. I have tried BE, Everyday Minerals, Lumiere, drugstore brands and I cannot remember all of them. The Merle Norman doesn't sting my face at all. It goes on so smooth with my Everyday Minerals flat top brush. Less is more but looks pretty good when put on heavy also. I am almost 38 yrs old with some expression lines around eyes and it does not settle in those lines like other mineral makeups did. They do need more color choices though. It does have some very slight shimmers in it but it comes from the minerals so it is ok.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2007 10:57:00 AM More reviews by mm2015

I recently purchased this and I like it better than Laura Mercier which I felt had no coverage at all. This has a bit more coverage for me. I purchased L20 and it looked really pink in the jar but it goes on fine on my medium fair asian skin. Mica is the first ingredient so it is slightly glowy but not as much as BE but more so than LM. It looks best if I apply with a floofy brush (like Too Faced pink kabuki) as oppose to a stiffer kabuki (like the Cat one). The stiffer kabuki makes me look more mask-like and powdery. Also the damp skunk method caused the powder to really accentuate my pores so that method doesn't work with this either. Fluffy large brush, mmu applied dry, looks the best, then spritz with bit of mineral water for a very nice finish. As for the price, I paid $35 for mine at the Merle Norman store. I was a bit surprised since I was expecting it to be $25. They must have raised the price within the last 6 months or so. You do get a ton of product though.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2007 8:30:00 PM More reviews by elaine87mg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i asbolutely LOVE this foundation. It is about $20 or $25 but it lasts for about 7 months (and i layer it a lot) so that is actually a really geat price. It has made my skin so clear and i get SOOOO many compliments on it now! i used to break out a lot and was never one of those lucky girls with amazing skin but this mineral foundation is SOO pretty on. my friends cant believe what i look like with no make up on. and you can put as many(a LOT) layers/coverage as you want and it never looks cakey one bit. looks very natural. try it!