October 20, 2014 | 1484 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by obzessd

Love this. I try to do one at least every week if not twice. It leaves my skin softer, yet NEVER irritates my skin, even though it has lactic acid (which to my understanding is a alpha hydroxy acid?). I've had to move away from clay masks now that I'm in my 30's, as they're too harsh, but the yogurt mask is a wonderful replacement. I like to use plain organic Fage greek yogurt with 2% fat -- the greek yogurt is thicker, so it doesn't get all runny or go into my eyes or mouth. And the fat leaves my skin more moisturized. I've tried cheaper plain store brand yogurts and even though I'm frugal, I find it well worth it to pay more for the greek yogurt. I'll probably do this the rest of my life.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by valerian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried yogurt as a mask woefully late for a person who enjoys using natural ingredients as beauty aids and the thing that made me try was a review on a blog about a product that was used as no scrub exfoliant that had lactic acid as a primary ingredient.
But Yoghurt is high in lactic acid I thought, and much cheaper so hence my facial experiment!
I went to the health store and got a small tub of organic natural yoghurt and after cleansing thoroughly, applied the plain yoghurt using a clean fan brush.
I applied a thin layer all over my facial area including my eye contour (after all, we are told to avoid this in every skin care preparation other than products designed for it, but have never seen an eye contour exfoliant and surely this area would benefit from that?) and due to only using a small amount and enjoying the cooling sensation, went on to apply a thin layer right down the neck and included the decollete as well for good measure.
I then left it to do its work for 20 mins before removing it with a warm wet (clean ofc) flannel and then taking a shower. Usual moisturiser, eye cream and body lotion were applied before make up (I applied the mask before a late start at work).

Results:
The appearance of the face and neck area didnt look really any more glowing or better than usual. The decollete looked smoother and more even. However the feel of the skin was the difference. The facial and eye area felt smooth and plumped up and the results after applying make up were great. My skin looked nicer and the make up went on more smoothly and lasted well.
The main difference was the decollete area. I am an avid fake tan user and although I know you should exfoliate regularly to get an even finish, my chest doesnt really like exfoliation. It gets a bit rashy and irritated so the yoghurt mask not only gently exfoliated without that irritation, it was so smooth for a few days afterwards that I kept touching it and thinking Wow!
Due to this, I plan on using this on the body at least once a week.I am actually waiting for a time when the house is empty to use a paintbrush and try a whole body treatment!
Although facially it didnt beat the product that lead me to try this (Dermalogica gentle facial exfoliant- see separate review if you are interested) I would def reccomend it for body use and facial areas that the Dermalogica would be unsuitable for i.e. eye contour or for people on a tight budget. However the downside is the smell! I don't mind it but if you don't like the smell of yoghurt, maybe avoid this :)

Edit: I have been using the yoghurt mask twice weekly with really good results. My skin is soft and radiant after use and it lasts. The moisturising qualities have made me switch day creams down to a Combination skin formulation as my usual dry formula is now too rich. Thoroughly recommend and will try as a body mask as soon as privacy permits ;)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2011 1:19:00 AM More reviews by SummerDew

I created my own mask using oatmeal, non-fat plain yogurt, honey and pure fresh orange juice (substitution for lime juice). The only difference is immediate softer skin, which is typical in many masks i use. Other than that I did NOT notice other effects, such as brightening my face, reducing acne/redness, etc.

I don't usually break out but I've used this mask for 3 days now. I notice a slight pimple on my cheek the 2nd day of the mask. It may not or may be from this mask but I haven't changed anywhere else in my skin routine and I generally have good skin and rarely break out.

Also when the mask warms against your skin it stinks like rotten milk (I used non-expired yogurt). NOT a pleasant experience at all when it's all over face.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2011 2:48:00 PM More reviews by 777designz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using different variations of the yogurt mask since I was a teenager. What I have discovered is it is great at making your skin soft and smooth, moisturizing dry skin if you use regular (not low-fat or non-fat) yogurt, and if mixed with honey can have a temporary tightening affect. However I find it does nothing for helping acne, decongesting pores, lessening fine lines, any tightening effect doesn't last, and using anything but non-fat yogurt leaves a greasy film on your skin that can make you break out. In the long-term I really don't see any difference in my skin, this only should be as a temporary skin pick-me-up. So if you want to try a yogurt mask here's what I recommend:

- On your face only use non-fat yogurt. Mixing it with oatmeal and honey accentuates the softening effects. I find it only really works if you leave it on 30 minutes or more, it needs to be completely dry.
- On dry hands or feet you can use regular yogurt and the oils don't seem to cause any breakouts. Like the face mask you can add other ingredients like honey, and you need to leave it on till it dries completely to see any difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 7:50:00 PM More reviews by GlowFace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

ADULT ACNE SUFFERERS, I DESPERATELY URGE YOU TO READ THIS, THANK YOU!

Okay, let me first begin by saying... I did not always have acne, in fact... as a teen my skin was envied. I began noticing a change from normal/dry skin to seeing more and more acne develop from age 19 to now, age 23. I have spent more money and time than I'd care to recall on acne products. I have cried over this problem and lost so much self esteem. I barely go anywhere (besides to the gym) without a ton of concealer and foundation to cover marks. It's a painful and embarrassing thing to go through, no matter how common it may be. ANYWAY! I began doing a yogurt mask about 3 weeks ago and my skin is slowly but surely getting brighter, clearer, smoother and just... back to "normal"... I make different mixes but basically the recipe comes down to 2% Fage Greek Yogurt, Honey, A bit of milk/cream (whatever is available, to thin it out) and I sometimes will add lemon juice and/or mashed strawberries. I leave it on anywhere from 15-45 minutes depending on how much time I have. I have done it 2 times even in a day. I really don't know why someone would hesitate to try this because it's really cheap, easy to make and WORKS! I urge you, whoever you are, if you suffer from acne, please try this. It may be the answer to your prayers.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by asiawall

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Amazing mask! I use Fage Greek Yogurt, at least 2% if not full fat, and I add some turmeric to it. I usually leave it on for at least half an hour if not longer, and it has definitely helped with breakouts and dry skin! I will continue to do this every other night - it's worth it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by pinkrose838

Not bad... but not great. I don't normally eat all natural yogurt, so I borrowed my mom's to try this out.

Maybe it was the fact that hers was 1% yogurt that made this so ... disappointing, but either way, i didn't notice any difference.

Granted, I'm 15 and have very clear skin as it is, but still... it's not perfect, and this did nothing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2011 6:05:00 PM More reviews by sweet_like_honey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I usually keep some Fage Greek Yogurt in the fridge but I had no idea that I could use it as a face mask until recently. I scooped some into a bowl and added some used coffee grounds from brewing coffee that morning (Starbucks Cafe Verona) and made a paste. I rinsed my skin with warm water, patted dry, and applied the mixture onto my face. After about 15 minutes, I took it off and my skin was sooo much smoother and softer. My skin just looked... nourished. I definitely saw/felt a difference in my skin texture (probably from the lactic acid?). I definitely recommend this to anyone with bumpy, problem skin as a refining/retexturizing mask. It worked great for me and I will continue to use this a few times a week.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2011 2:21:00 AM More reviews by SarahBlueBrazell

I love using greek yogurt with honey in it, smells nicer than the original and feels amazing. I used it a few days ago and my breakouts have since cleared up quite a bit, i'm not sure the two are related though.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2011 7:03:00 PM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use greek yogurt and some honey/lemon juice. First time I used this mask, my skin was left looking and feeling AMAZING.
After the initial use, my skin still reacted nicely. Though, I left it on for too long (30 minutes, maybe a bit more) and broke out mildly. Never made that mistake again.
I leave it on for 15 minutes the most and it works just fine. Nothing life changing though.
I may need to change up the kind of honey I use for a better effect.