Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 12/2/2013 6:36:00 PM

I love Coconut Oil as a pre-cleanse to take off all my make-up! I rub about half a tsp with my fingers all over my face including my eye make-up and rinse off with a hot wash cloth, before using my regular cleanser to remove any excess oil and dirt. I find it very cost effective and I use it for my hair as well as a mask.

on 12/2/2013 6:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I read all this stuff about how much of a miracle worker coconut oil was, so I went out and bought a tub. Not super cheap, in fact more than my nivea, but I could use it in my hair too. It was quite hard to get out of the tub and found it frustrating to use. I put a large amount in my hair, put it in a showercap and went to bed. I woke up, washed it out and, nothing. There was absolutely no difference in my hair.

Next I tried it on my very dry face. I love face oils, I use Nuxe right now and plan to try avocado next. I rubbed some onto my very dry cheeks and really didn't like the feel. Both greasy and drying at the same time. Weird, but I decided to sleep on it and see what happened. My face was SO dry in the morning. It was tight and flaky and I had to do a mask before I could put on my makeup. It was like I'd slept in cleanser.

I give it two stars because when I put it on my body it was somewhat moisturizing, like better than nothing, but frankly not as good as any cheap giant pump bottles from the drugstore, which cost less for more product.

This was a big fail for me and very very messy.

on 11/29/2013 11:22:00 AM

I have extremely sensitive skin, so I was very hesitant to use this on my face. I thought I was bound to be allergic to the lauric acid- not so. As it turn out, I find this very soothing, and it seems to calm irritation and normalise the weird redness and itchiness my skin seems to randomly throw out sometimes. It is very drying, but in some cases that can be made to work- I have a few sunblocks that are greasy as hell, but I find that when I put coconut oil on underneath them, it somehow reduces the stickiness (don't ask me how), to give a more matte effect.

on 11/21/2013 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I love that this has multiple uses. I would never again use this on my face. I have sensitive skin w/ acne & this oil causes me to break out. If you have skin with similar issues I would pass using this oil for facial skin care. However I do love to use this oil on my relaxed & dry hair. Coconut oil is one of the few oils that can penetrate the outer layer of the hair shaft. I put this on my hair & then put a satin or silk scarf on to prevent my coconut oiled hair from touching my face. Later that day or the next day I wash my hair. The next Coconut oil helps my hair remain soft & gives it incredible silicone like shine! Also this oil has anti bacterial & antifungal properties & its unsaturated oils are good for the heart.

on 11/16/2013 4:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Never again!!!! This is the WORST STUFF to put on my face!!! Never have I ever had this dry of skin and have ever BROKEN OUT so much!!!! I'm still recovering from it and it's been since August...3 months! It was a nightmare! I think this can go either way, your skin loves it or hates it. In my case, it Hates it. With a capital H. My scars are proof, and I'm still trying to get rid of those. I give it a year before the scars fade completely. IF. Absolute nightmare.

on 11/15/2013 5:19:00 AM

My HG makeup remover! I also have terrible problems with dry skin and occasional eczema flares on my eyelids and under my eyes, and this helps ease them.

I tried to get away from it for a while, as it's a bit messy and weird (well, oily!) but I just keep coming back.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using organic, unrefined coconut oil on my face for about 8 months. I love it! I use it as eye make up remover. It works amazingly well and removes even waterproof mascara easily. I also use it as moisturizer after washing my face with Cetaphil then scrubbing it with Clean and Clear 3-in-1. If you ever experience break outs with coconut oil I would suggest using LESS, the more you use, the more it sits on your skin. If you use just enough to moisten your skin then you used enough. Also, coconut oil helps reduce fine lines on your face. I used to have a frown line between my eyebrows, with daily use of just a tiny bit of coconut oil that line is practically gone. Will definitely continue to use!

Edit:
Well, I haven't been using coconut oil for the past 6 months. I find that it does break my skin out even to use it as a moisturizer. I have switched to using apricot oil to remove eye make up and am instead using rose hip oil as a moisturizer with dr. bronner's eucalyptus castile soap to wash. I admit, the apricot oil doesn't remove waterproof make up as easily but I'm willing to give that up so that my skin isn't breaking out. My skin is SO MUCH clearer than it was when I was using coconut oil. I wanted to stop having to use any kind of chemical to clean my face and unfortunately coconut oil clogged my pores so much that I had to. I have finally found the perfect balance to my skin after years of looking :)

on 10/5/2013 9:43:00 PM

Love using coconut oil as an eye makeup remover!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was buying my first jar of the coconut oil in Waitrose (I've read somewhere that it was good for frying things and I had pancakes in mind for supper), when the cashier said that she uses it as a hair treatment! So when I came back home I prepared my pancakes and put some oil into my hair. I ate the pancakes, washed my hair after 2 hours and it turned out to be a great way to achieve brand new hair ends without a trim, glossy and soft!

I have adopted the oil as a weekly hair treatment (just on my hair, NOT for the scalp though) to keep my ends from getting trimmed for longer and it works wonderfully. I have no problem with washing it off, the ends are sealed and the hair is glossy and not weighted down.

However I must say that it wrecked a real havoc on my face! I tried to take my makeup off with it and it was a massive fail: it has actually DRIED my skin! It became tight and flaky plus some pimples were forming underneath the surface after two weeks of daily use so I had to drop that way of cleansing and moisturising. It took my skin well over a month to get back to its 'normal' self afterwards.

It does not work well on my body either (I much prefer jojoba oil as a body moisturiser) and I am not fond of the smell (the least smelling CO was from a brand called Pucca so I will be buying this one next time) that much.

As a HAIR treatment it is very good, even for my delicate hair but as an all-in-one face cleanser and moisturiser it was a big no-no even for my dry skin.

As a hair treatment it is also very cheap, especially in comparison with professional product bringing similar results - I need less than half a tea spoon for my ends (I put it in dry hair, approx 2 hours before I have to wash it, once a week). The rest of it I use for frying and sometimes raw in my green smoothies. This way a 200 ml jar lasts me about 3-4 months. For about £8 it is not such a bad price.

Iuse it for my hair only.
I add some hair mask to it to give it a nice texture and use it as hair mask <3
Makes hair really soft and less frizzy and I feel like like i am in Hawaii.
My hair is not curly so I have to wash it afterwards, but still a big fan of it .