September 18, 2014 | 1912 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been making my own C-Serum for about 7 weeks now. Super cheap to make and I am loving the results. Makes your skin super smooth and fades acne marks fast. I make a fresh bach twice a day. I use this under my MUFE powder for daytime and at night on the night I don't use Retin-A. I use straight pure C powder + soft water, nothing else.

I also use this all over my body.. legs, chest, neck, arms even lips. Feels so smooth.

Some advice: After you apply if the stinging is really intense and last more than a minute of so, I'd wash it off or add water to your face. Because the first week I started this I used too much powder and my neck kept stinging for over half and hour and I ended up burning my skin. It shouldn't sting for more than a minute I notice.

I've been using this for about 4 months now..this is the best thing I ever did for my skin!! So cheap too.

~Update~ I've been using this for a year now, hard to believe.. I'm so happy I decided to go this route with making my own. I love my skin and make a fresh batch daily. My husband even started using what he found left in the little jar, he asked if it was ok, lol.

Over the past years I have tried Avalon, Jasons, Cellex-C, Kiss my Face's serum's and they caused one problem or another like breaking my skin out, or giving my skin a bumpy appearance close-up. Cellex C's was already brownish when I first bought it and for $100.00, big no! DIY C Serum is better than all of these! I wish I tried this years ago. Great stuff.

45 out of 47 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by jilbur64

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My super-easy 'formula' for making a Vitamin C serum is to use Heritage Products Rosewater & Glycerin as a base. I bought some blue glass atomizer bottles from specialtybottle.com ... I pour 2 tsp of the rosewater into the glass bottle, add 1/4 tsp of Whole Foods Vit C crystals, close and shake. I have not had any problem with the Vit C dissolving.
I've been using usually twice a day, morning and night, misting my face, neck and chest. Then I use my fingertips to lightly spread around my face. I use it on my whole eye area as well, no problem. Slight transient stinging but no lasting skin irritation at all, and I have rosacea so that's saying something. There is a slight 'shine' and stickiness from the glycerine but it's not bothersome. I may try a stronger solution in future.
I've only been using this for about 2 weeks but I am flabbergasted at how much my skin has improved. Definitely thickening (in a good way), plumping, fine lines smoothing, holds moisture better, and redness is reduced--I have a lot of diffuse redness and some telangiectasia (thread veins) in my face, and I think the thicker skin makes them show less. This is incredibly cheap and effective--can't believe I ever paid a lot of money for Vit C serum. As long as I only make a week's worth at a time I don't think there's much chance of it degrading.

41 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 11:55:00 PM More reviews by Cowgirly89

FYI, when I emailed a rep at Whole Foods...this is what she had to say.

hello- the product you purchased was not L-ascorbic acid, it's just ascorbic acid or vitamin c. L- ascorbic acid is primarily used as a whitening agent in cosmetics products. we do not stock this product and our vendors do not offer it either. please bring the vitamin c powder you purchased in for a full refund. sorry for any inconvenience.

P.S. I emailed NOW Foods and they told me their Ascorbic Acid, Powder is L-ascorbic acid. You can get it at Amazon or iHerb.

30 out of 36 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2009 12:19:00 AM More reviews by Bianca910318

I made my own vitamin c serum with l ascorbic powder i found in whole foods. The first few times i made it, it was soo sticky i stopped putting glycerin in it completly. I did add one tiny drop of pure vitamin E oil and yet the serum was still sort of sticky to the point i dreaded putting it on my face. Also when i put it on i noticed a very mild stinging that went away after bout a minute. Now as far as the results i did not notice anything special at all or even anything different. Im rating it a three just in case it did help or something and i did not notice, however i will not be purchasing to make again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 3:34:00 PM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's amazing how easy this is. I am using Wild Oats vitamin C crystals (and since Wild Oats has gone out of business more than a year ago, and I've hardly made a dent in this bottle, this bottle will last me the rest of my life probably. (Okay, I'm exaggerating. Probably 10 years, though) I use an old baby Tylenol dropper bottle to mix my C serum. I have used the original recipe with 1 tsp water and 1 tsp glycerine and 1/4 tsp c crystals. Too sticky. I've used 3/4 tsp water and 1/4 tsp glycerine and 1/4 tsp c crystals. Much better. Currently I am using a stronger mixture, though I'm not sure of the strength because I am using KY moisture enhancing Silk-E personal lubricant as my base. I poured 1/2 tsp c crystals into my little baby Tylenol dropper bottle and then 2 tsps of the KY stuff in and shook the bottle with the lid on. Since the first ingredient is water, I decided not to use any water. It didn't dissolve at first, but then a couple of hours later, it was all dissolved. I used it the next morning on my wet cleansed face. Just a couple of drops rubbed in. It tingled a little, but did not sting. It was not sticky feeling either. I did not apply makeup that day as I didn't go out at all that day, but I would have used sunscreen if I had. And so that I don't mess up my face with this strong mixture, I am only using it every other day in the mornings. This is very recent, and so I'm not sure if there will be adverse effects, but I thought I should at least put it out there that this KY product can be used to make a very easy simple C serum.
8/19/10 I decided to mix that batch with my facial oil to try to get a 2-in-one product, but it didn't work as well. I did end up dumping it and stopped using vitamin c serum for the summer. Now I am back to using it. 1/4 tsp of the powder with 2 tsps of the ky gel. It doesn't dissolve right away, but it does dissolve by evening. I use it in the morning after I wake up and wash my face with a baby washcloth and hot water. I dry my face well and then apply this. I take the dog out for a walk, clean the house, and then take a shower. I apply my mineral makeup foundation which I have mixed together in an old Maybelline Dream Matte foundation jar with sunscreen and Jane aguaceuticals tinted moisturizer, some argan oil moisturizer I got on clearance at Walgreens, and some of my mineral powder foundation to try to get it to the right color for this in-between stage I'm in after summer being over but not being my light to medium self yet. I stipple it on and then go over my whole face with my studio tools stippling brush. At night, I'll wash my face with a microfiber washcloth and hot water and apply the retinol and COQ10 nightcream from Aldi and then after an hour or so when it is absorbed, I'll put 3 drops of my facial oil on. I look great! I am 36 and when I was out with my husband and his friends, recently, I got carded!

16 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2009 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Aonn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the way to go if Vit C works for you. I've used Cellex-C and Skinceuticals for years and they are great products. But.... they are outrageously expensive and have a questionable shelf life. I react well to Vit C and have had fantastic results with a homemade version. I use 1/4 teaspoon of L-ascorbic with 1 1/2 teaspoon water and 1/2 teaspoon of glycerin. My skin is oily, so cutting back on the glycerin has reduced the stickyness somewhat and feels better to me. I mix it up and use it everynight and I use it everywhere - arms, throat, chest, etc. Although I occasionallly add green tea extract (adjusting the water to keep the percentages correct), I usually don't add other things but you certainly can. I'll eventually try to make a less sticky version for day with ferulic acid and E (can order all this and more online). My skin looks clear and toned and healthy and I love this stuff!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 6:21:00 PM More reviews by tthurmond

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just began making my own Vitamin C mix two weeks ago (applying it a total of 5 times so far), and I already see great improvement in my cheeks that have acne scars and pits. The pits are so much more leveled with the rest of my face. I am amazed.

My first batch was 1/8 tsp L Ascorbic Acid (powder form) + 1 tsp distilled water + 1 tsp vegetable glycerin. At night and in a dim room, I mixed the powder in the water until it appeared dissolved. Then I added the glycerin and mixed it again. I immediately applied it to my face and after about 5 minutes, I had the idea to add a half capsule of vitamin e to my face and added the remaining amount to the leftover mix. (The mix was created in a tiny opaque plastic "jar" and was stored in my fridge). Over the next two days, I used up the remaining mix, always applying it at night with the lights dim.

Approximately 4 days later, my next batch was stronger, doubling the amount of l ascorbic acid but keeping the amount of water and gylcerin the same. I used it up within 2 days. Because I'm so paranoid about avoiding oxidation, I plan to continue making very small batches with no sun light and little artificial light, storing it in an opaque container, in the refrigerator, and using it within a few days.

This mix is working wonders for me! I clearly see improvement already!! I also think it is complementary to the Derma E Hyaluronic Acid Serum that i apply to my face.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by ivanhoe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I made it from with 5ml water, 5ml glycerin and only 0,5g vitamin C. This is my first bottle and I use it 4 days already every morning and evening. I must say I'm amazed! I don't know if my skin ever looked so good. My skin is pretty sensitive and I always have few eczemas, usually behind ears and on cheeks. Eczemas didn't get worse, and my skin is soft, fresh, plumped and it simply shines. I am a person who laughs a lot, and I have wrinkles around eyes. I am sure those wrinkles are already less visible. I don't know if this is because of hydrating characteristics of glycerin, or because of vit. C, but I like it a lot!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 10:14:00 AM More reviews by jautumnw

Just thought I'd share a recipe I found on the net--it's towards the end of the article.

I found some L-ascorbic acid crystals at GNC (emailed their CS to verify that it's L-ascorbic, since the label just says "ascorbic") and I also found some glycerin and distilled water at my local walmart.

Edit: the GNC crystals have Rose Hip Oil in them, too, and that might have made my face break out. Your experience may vary, but I'm not using the GNC vitamin c crystals on my face anymore...

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2009 5:47:00 AM More reviews by patpatpatpat

I'm always going through the boards and the product reviews looking for new things to try. So when I came across this I thought, why not? So off I went searching for ascorbic acid. It was simple enough, I bought it from the health food store and you get a lot for about 6. I make the simplest form of this by only mixing it with water in a spray bottle. On first attempt I got a bit carried away and was spraying it on my face several times a day. On day 3 I noticed my skin was peeling. I stopped for several days, made a fresh batch of weaker concentration and as I was spraying I looked in the mirror and noticed that under my peeling skin what was emerging was much smoother plumped skin. The 2 fine lines on my forehead was gone. And that only from using it for 3 days!! I have continued with this weaker concentration using it only twice a day and making a new batch every 2-3 days. My pores are no longer clogged since I've stopped putting on other serums and my skin looks much better in general, so it's great! Will continue and update with any developments! Edit: Changed my serum to 1 part vitamin c, 1 part glycerin and 10 part water. It's now even better! Have tried with more glycerin but it's too moisturising for my skin takes too long to absorb...

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No