July 30, 2014 | 2045 users online

Masks - Oatmeal

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2010 3:17:00 AM More reviews by iheartny_dk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

After discovering this oatmeal mask with a 100% satisfaction rate (!?), I decided to try it for myself. I have annoyingly sensitive skin that reacts to pretty much everything! And for the past 6 months, I've been struggling with nasty stubborn hormonal zits that just can't be beat down and leave ugly permanent scars on my face.:-( So I had really high hopes for this mask. I mixed the oatmeal with just water and honey to use as few ingredients as possible and left it on my face for about 30 minutes. As soon as I washed it off, I had gotten a brand new zit!? I thought that the mask might have just drawn out an impurity that was already about to come out, so I tried the mask again the next day. After having tried the mask 2x2 days in a row, I'm sad to say that it doesn't work for me!:-( Everytime I wash it off, I'm left with more zits than before I put it on. I guess I'm the only one with skin that can't handle it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2010 10:17:00 AM More reviews by GoodGala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

How can I not agree with almost everyone else, this is simply amazing. It leave the skin so soft and lovely.
I personally like to experiment with masks and never use one over and over, but this is a keeper. Imix a bit of honey with the water and apply it to my face, as honey is a natural antibacterial.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Sagowska

Wow, I was actually very surprised to find a review of my favorite home-made mask here! I have no idea where I read about this mask for the first time, but I have been a devoted follower ever since and it really does wonders for my skin! I am extremely pale but luckily I have been blessed with pretty nice skin. My skin is normal and after using this mask it literally glows, so I put it on twice a week, because I just love how my skin looks and feels afterwards. First I mix some oatmeal with flaxseeds in a blender, but I stop before the mixture turns to very fine powder. Then I put 2 Tbsp of the mixture in a small bowl and add some hot water to it, so that oatmeal starts to expand a bit and the mask becomes sticky.I cover the bowl with a plate. In the meantime, when the mask cools down, I take kitchen towels (2 sheets without tearing them apart) and cut holes for my eyes, nose and mouth. When the mask has cooled down to room temperature I add a couple of drops of olive oil and mix it well together. Then I put a thick layer of the mask on my face and cover with the kitchen towel mask. It sounds like a lot of effort, but trust me - it's well worth it and after 20-25 minutes the mask comes-off like a dream, thanks to the kitchen towels. I then wash my face and remove rest of oatmeal from my face, moisturize and I can tell my skin is very happy!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2010 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

A MUA friend turned me onto using oatmeal as a mask. First off, I have extremely pale, super sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin with subtype 2 Rosacea that reacts from almost EVERYTHING. I've tried more masks than I can recall, the aspirin mask, organic raw honey mask, milk mask, greek yogurt mask, bentonite clay mask, french green clay mask, dead sea salt mask... and the list just goes on and on, along with store-bought products... This is the only mask I've found that I can use as much as I want and leave on as long as I feel like! It never fails to calm my skin when it's acting super sensitive or when it's breaking out. When I first started, I would mix a little with some organic honey for extra "oomph", but it actually works fantastically all by itself! I pour a bit into my palm and add enough water to make a watery mask. I used to make a thick mask that was difficult to wash off, but it works just as well even if you use a thin layer (and easier to wash off too!). I buy Aveeno 100% colloidal oatmeal, available at Wal-mart. It's very cheap and lasts forever. I've been using it for nearly a month now and haven't used even 25% of it yet. I've also tried to use it as a face powder, but it's too heavy and drying for that purpose. Will never be without this amazing product!

UPDATE: 12/19/12
My skin now rejects oatmeal with a vengeance. Whenever I use it, my skin becomes severely inflamed and breaks out in hives. I guess I've developed an allergy to it, which I just can't understand. It seems to calm my skin for a moment and a few minutes later, I have red spots all over my face, which then evolves into severely oily and congested skin for days on end. Again, I don't understand why this happened, but I guess oatmeal can be a major allergen for some people and I *am* very allergy-prone. So, another product bites the dust. =(

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 1:40:00 AM More reviews by IsraelSP21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Truly an amazing thing to put in ur skin, It's also very versatile (U can mix it with pretty much everything) In my case, I use it as a extra ingredient for my homemade masks to give consistency and add an extra OIL ABSORBING agent (Acts like a clay mask) IT'S ALSO SUPER GENTLE AND EFFECTIVE.

I obviously will always use this, IT'S A MUST FOR HOMEMADE MASKS JUST AMAZING!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2010 12:55:00 PM More reviews by mccfrausto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hey guys, I haven't tried oatmeal powder as of yet but I got news... Walmart has Dr. Teal's colloidal oatmeal bath soak, I got some in my bathroom I haven't used yet and I'm pretty sure it's 100% oatmeal powder without any mineral oil in it.. I would not use Aveeno's bc it has mineral oil in it..
I suppose Dr. Teal's would be great to use as a ready made makeup powder, like that one user had mentioned before? Dr. Teal's saves time grounding the oatmeal into a powder bc it's already been done for you.. Comes in a resealable bag too!!
I was psyched when I first found it for bath soaks.. Now I can't wait to use it on my face!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

okay, I just did my first oatmeal mask. I used finely ground oatmeal and water mixed together to make a thick paste, then I slathered a fairly heavy layer all over my face and let it completely dry to solid. Don't think I'll let dry that much again..lol...I thought I was never going to get it off. That being said I did like the results. Nothing amazing but then again this was the first time and the result may be culmative. However once I got the stuff off I did notice that my face was really soft and completely free of oil. My pores looked greatly diminished too, maybe because the mask removed the oil from them. One thing that was strange though was that after the oatmeal mask I applied a lactic acid treatment that I also use a couple of times a week and it stung like crazy. That's very odd for me because well I do have some skin problems like redness around my nose, dry patches, pigment spots and oily areas, one problem I don't have is sensitive skin. I have never had a bad reaction to any skin product. Nothing seems to irritate my skin and my lactic acid certainly never hurt before so I was very surprised by this. Maybe the mask just left my skin a little stripped and sensitive. Anyways I will continue using the oatmeal and maybe try mixing it with different ingredients as I have recently become interested in making my own skin care. Will update if I notice any results for better or worse.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Meiosis

My personal recipe for an oatmeal mask (i have combination skin with a bit of acne, redness, blackheads - ugh..!):

Blitz the oatmeal in a blender/food processor with a quarter of that amount of green tea leaves until it's nice and fine, then sieve the powder (you can keep this powder and mix it with the wet ingredients whenever ur ready to use).
Mix it with honey and apple cider vinegar (the proportions r up to ur personal preference) and smear it all over ur face! I waited about half an hour before washing it off and exfoliating while doing so. Hope this helps anyone =]

*update*
If pressed for time, or you just don't have honey and apple cider vinegar laying around, plain warm water is a substitute. Also, for extra exfoliating u can add some sugar to give it more grainyness. Yoghurt is another optional ingredient if u find that helps u, go nuts!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by joliesailes

I can just agree with everyone else. I absolutely love this mask and I am almost sad that I didn't learn about it earlier. I have used the water + oatmeal combination only and that alone works great. You mix together oatmeal and water until it has the same consistency as porridge and then I put it on to my cleansed face with circular motions. Then I wait until it dries and when it does, I rinse it off with luke warm to warm water. If I'm being extra careful I quickle rinse my face with cold water the last thing I do, as to not leave any pores open.

Good luck with this everyone (although you cant really go wrong with this)!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2010 10:39:00 PM More reviews by xoxomystyle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i used oatmeal for about a month then i stopped using it and i noticed that my cheeks would turn red everyday after using this when i didn't use it this wouldn't happen. although this made a big improvement on my skin by giving it a glow and i would never feel a tight sensation after using this like how it gets when i wash my face with a cleanser, i wasn't liking the red cheeks and hot sensation every time! i really don't know why this happens but i still use it when my face is TOO dry to use my normal cleanser.