Oatmeal Mask

Price: $

INCI: Water/Aqua, Avena Sativa (Oat) Flour, Mel (Honey), Tocopheryl Acetate

on 6/24/2011 3:42:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

I know many people benefit from using oatmeal mask. Just make sure you do a skin patch test first or you may experience the worst horror on your life like me. I didn't know I was allergic to oats. Most people in my family are allergic to oats for some reason. After cleansing with mild baby soap, I applied a layer of warm soft moist oat meal to my face. I left it on til dry. to my horror, my skin turned red and inflamed after I washed the oats off. I did nothing different and I am not even acne prone. I didn't add anything new to my diet. And no new skin care product or cosmetics were introduced on my skin. My skin, however, is sensitive and very fair.

I had to use cortisone to relieve the itchiness, redness, and inflammations. This is absolutely my worst experience with a natural product next to the bismuth in mineral makeup.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have recently started using oatmeal as a facewash (like how bubzbeauty uses it) and immediately noticed good side effects. My face no longer gets super red. This means a lot because I literally cannot wear blush because it just worsens my tomato face. Furthermore, my senstive face has stopped getting itchy/irritated; I haven't touched my cortisone cream since using oatmeal. I don't know if I'm imagining this but my acne scars looks a lot better (maybe because its less red). All in all, my skin is also smoother and softer feeling.
The only thing I don't like is the mess but its a small price to pay for the results.
I plan to try out the other suggestions on here and update the results.

on 5/23/2011 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I love this! I have combination skin and some blackheads on my nose, but this is a great, gentle exfoliant and makes my skin soft :). It also dries out pimples and reduces redness. Plus, I love using natural cleansers.

You could just do the easy thing and add some water and leave on the face for 15 minutes as a mask like most, but when I did that, it was a little drying. If I'm going to make a mask, I'll add some plain yogurt (to moisturize) and maybe some honey. Sometimes, if my face is really broken out, I'll throw in some nutmeg, or if it's really red, add some green tea to it.

Mainly what I do, though, is add some water and gently massage into my face, especially the rough areas then rinse with warm water. It REALLY clears, reduces pimple size and redness, and makes my skin soft and smooth. Cheap, natural, and effective. Great :)

on 3/25/2011 1:46:00 PM

I bought a bag of oats when I first decided to make my own skincare products, but then forgot all about it until reading the reviews here. I added some to my usual yogurt and honey mask and was quite impressed by what the oatmeal added--the mask is always a winner anyway, but the oatmeal made my skin feel even softer and cleaner. Plus, I'm not sure if I was imagining this, but it also seemed to have a lightening effect on my skin. Will definitely use over and over again, though I just read about orange lentils in another review and want to try that too!

I've made my own masks and scrubs before and I have been happy with the results but this was horrible. Maybe I did something wrong. It was just gross. I felt like someone threw up on my face. But alright.. it's just oatmeal so I went with it. I didn't notice anything special with the results. In fact, my skin felt tight which it usually doesn't after cleansing. I will try again... because I want to like this. I just grind the oatmeal and mix with water right?

on 3/11/2011 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Helps your skin, and I love to put it on twice a week for only 30 minutes; and it makes all the difference.

on 2/25/2011 3:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

My mum always used to do facial masks mixing oatmeal and yoghurt, and then cucumbers over the eyes.
Yoghurt and oatmeal is a very good masks to calm the skin down. I do once a week (I dedicted Sunday evening for these things).
The skin becomes smooth and any redness disappears. Sometimes I mix in some honey with it aswell.

on 11/22/2010 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

About the Product:
Oats are a natural method of cleansing the skin, due to their saponin component. They are also said to be nourishing to the skin, hydrating, while preventing the skin from drying out. They are also quite soothing and gentle, especially when properly soaked. Recommended for eczema sufferers, oats are usually well-tolerated by most.

Suggested Uses:
Cleanser - Cleanses well due to the saponins. Best used when ground to make a fine powder. Mix with water and use as you would a regular cleanser. Use normal oats for more exfoliation.

Mask - Either use ground or as in the package. Mix with water, apply to face, and rinse off like normal mask. I'd recommend leaving it on for 10-20 minutes.

The smell when wet is actually quite strong compared to dry oats. Almost musty I guess, but nothing so offensive it's unbearable to use. Lingers on the skin just slightly, nothing noticeable to others.

When ground up and put into water, it creates a mushy paste with a quick drying time. It feels a bit slimy as well, but rinses away clean with just water. I'd say that it feels a bit drying though, and if it isn't soaked or ground up properly it might be a bit too abrasive on sensitive skin.

Ease of Use:
It's more so annoying to use than it is hard. To prevent irritation, it had to be ground finely, but even THAT was too scratchy until I soaked it for a while beforehand. However, that could be due to the severe reaction I had, and may not be the norm for others. It can also clog your drains, so you have to be careful with rinsing it off. It is easy to apply to the skin and doesn't fall off the skin very much while drying. That being said, small flakes or chunks may fall off if you speak/move your skin while wearing the oatmeal as a mask.

Bang for your Buck:
Oatmeal is not all that expensive, and I assume you can easily buy smaller packages if you do not enjoy eating it. Definitely nothing that will break your wallet. You could also likely find colloidal oatmeal for cheap online or locally if you do not have a coffee grinder and would like to use the ground oatmeal. Should last quite a while, as not much is needed.

My Results:
I could see this working well to cleanse the skin, as it never left my skin feeling coated. But, I seemed to have a serious reaction to it. I had a reaction to oats I ground in a coffee grinder, as well as to oats I simply soaked in water without grinding. I also reacted to the oat water itself. The reaction: bright, burning red face within seconds of application. The only time this did not occur was the first time, but I had a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly on my skin. I also think it might have been a bit drying on my skin, and possibly broke me out. I'd recommend a patch test just to be safe, but it's unlikely many will have a reaction such as mine.

Final Consensus:
If every cleanser you've ever tried has left your skin stripped and irritated, give oatmeal a try, as it seems to work for almost everyone. An easy DIY way to clean your face, and natural to boot. I will not be giving this another shot, but I do still recommend it to others for trial.
- Pros: Cheap, natural, multi-use, good base ingredient for homemade products.
- Cons: Drying, irritating, caused severe redness and burning, possibly broke me out, messy, a bit of a pain to prepare for regular use, not the most pleasant scent.

Overall Rating: 1/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

on 11/20/2010 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

If you're suffering from dry skin, or dry patches but still want to wash your face.... this is a must. I grind it up until it's a fine powder and simply mix it with water and massage it onto my face. It is so so soothing and those irritated inflamed patches are calmed down. There are also minor surfactants in oatmeal which make this an ideal cleanser for drier skins. I have oily skin, but I've been experiencing dry patches around my mouth and eyes - this is a great go-to remedy. If you really want no fuss - you can buy colloidal oatmeal off of ebay, which is essentially a very, very fine ground up oatmeal which can be added to cosmetics. Good luck :)

on 11/16/2010 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

I have been using brown and white sugar scrubs mixed in with jojoba and olive oils in the shower. I threw in some ground up oatmeal and I'm really liking the consistency of the scrub. It is working better as though turbo-charged and I don't have to rub as hard. I find oat meal can be drying for my face but really liking it for the rest of the body. No more expensive scrubs for me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials