April 17, 2014 | 1041 users online

Masks - Oatmeal

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

okay, I just did my first oatmeal mask. I used finely ground oatmeal and water mixed together to make a thick paste, then I slathered a fairly heavy layer all over my face and let it completely dry to solid. Don't think I'll let dry that much again..lol...I thought I was never going to get it off. That being said I did like the results. Nothing amazing but then again this was the first time and the result may be culmative. However once I got the stuff off I did notice that my face was really soft and completely free of oil. My pores looked greatly diminished too, maybe because the mask removed the oil from them. One thing that was strange though was that after the oatmeal mask I applied a lactic acid treatment that I also use a couple of times a week and it stung like crazy. That's very odd for me because well I do have some skin problems like redness around my nose, dry patches, pigment spots and oily areas, one problem I don't have is sensitive skin. I have never had a bad reaction to any skin product. Nothing seems to irritate my skin and my lactic acid certainly never hurt before so I was very surprised by this. Maybe the mask just left my skin a little stripped and sensitive. Anyways I will continue using the oatmeal and maybe try mixing it with different ingredients as I have recently become interested in making my own skin care. Will update if I notice any results for better or worse.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Meiosis

My personal recipe for an oatmeal mask (i have combination skin with a bit of acne, redness, blackheads - ugh..!):

Blitz the oatmeal in a blender/food processor with a quarter of that amount of green tea leaves until it's nice and fine, then sieve the powder (you can keep this powder and mix it with the wet ingredients whenever ur ready to use).
Mix it with honey and apple cider vinegar (the proportions r up to ur personal preference) and smear it all over ur face! I waited about half an hour before washing it off and exfoliating while doing so. Hope this helps anyone =]

*update*
If pressed for time, or you just don't have honey and apple cider vinegar laying around, plain warm water is a substitute. Also, for extra exfoliating u can add some sugar to give it more grainyness. Yoghurt is another optional ingredient if u find that helps u, go nuts!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by joliesailes

I can just agree with everyone else. I absolutely love this mask and I am almost sad that I didn't learn about it earlier. I have used the water + oatmeal combination only and that alone works great. You mix together oatmeal and water until it has the same consistency as porridge and then I put it on to my cleansed face with circular motions. Then I wait until it dries and when it does, I rinse it off with luke warm to warm water. If I'm being extra careful I quickle rinse my face with cold water the last thing I do, as to not leave any pores open.

Good luck with this everyone (although you cant really go wrong with this)!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2010 10:39:00 PM More reviews by xoxomystyle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i used oatmeal for about a month then i stopped using it and i noticed that my cheeks would turn red everyday after using this when i didn't use it this wouldn't happen. although this made a big improvement on my skin by giving it a glow and i would never feel a tight sensation after using this like how it gets when i wash my face with a cleanser, i wasn't liking the red cheeks and hot sensation every time! i really don't know why this happens but i still use it when my face is TOO dry to use my normal cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2010 6:33:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

OATMEAL~my winter face mask base and HG. Sure, Aspirin makes a great mask...over do it tho and you end up breaking out. Yogurt, same deal.
I really love making homemade face masks and love versatility and usefulness of plain oatmeal.
I mix either Dr. Teal's Collodial Oatmeal soak or very finely ground scotch oats with a variety of things. Onion juice, for one. You are going "ew gross!" and I agree. Smearing oatmeal and onion on your face isn't the most appealing thing, and it does stink. I do this mask at night so that the smell of onion doesn't hang around me all day. So before bed I take 3 Tbs of red onion juice and 3 Tbs of oat powder and mix it well. Some might use honey as well, but honey on my skin gives me hives. I slather this mask on my face and wait til it dries, and then rinse with warm water, then cleanse my skin. Onion has this incredible ability to clear up skin, and even out skin tone, and oats unclog pores. I did this onion and oats mask for a week and the clairity of my skin is astounding! Google it and see what I mean.
Another oatmeal mask to try is Oatmeal and peach juice. I do this one in the morning and it makes my face glow.
Try it ;)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Dinghy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This is amazing stuff. I use it as a mask or gentle exfoliant while I'm in the bath: oatmeal with a few drops of water, sometimes honey, sometimes not. I might experiment with other stuff as well, but oatmeal&water alone are great enough- leave my skin soft and hydrated enough. Very easy to prepare, cheap, it even tastes nice...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 1:25:00 AM More reviews by aasiangal

OMG!!!! I swear to god this stuff is amazing!!! Half a year ago after going through some tough stuff my clear complexion has started to break out. I didn't realize it until one day I looked and the mirror and I saw acne on my cheeks. The blemishes on my face were red and inflamed. I decided to do something about it. I went to the doctor and I was prescribed Differin gel and 100mg of Apo-minocycline. It seemed to work for the first week or so but then it just got worst-my acne was out of control and i felt so helpless. Luckily recently I was searching up home remedies for clear acne skin on forms. Then I FOUND IT the oatmeal mask. I have read really go reviews on it and everyone loves it. Since my acne got so bad nothing can possibly make it worst. First I was a bit skeptical about this, but after trying it after the first time I was amazed how much this had made my skin glowed. When woke up the next morning I can see the redness of my blemishes died down and it was less inflamed. Right now I have been using this mask everyday for about a week or and it has made wonders for me. Ladies you MUST try this before anything else, oatmeal is so cheap and convenient so why not try it. I can't promise that It will work for you but there is nothing wrong with trying it (it's natural). PS make sure you are not allergic to oatmeal=)))

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2010 6:41:00 PM More reviews by luenaiya

Oatmeal is most effective for dry skin sufferes though it still works great on my normal skin or those of you who wish to retain plump and youthful looking skin. Lush do a great oatmeal mask which I highly recommend if you don't feel like making your own

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by alaintrain22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you have skin that reacts to everything (lots of environmental allergies) this stuff is great. My face will start itching and breaking out turning very red. I take a little of this, grind it into a powder using the coffee grinder and add a little milk or yogurt and apply it. It is immediately calming and eases the itchness. To remove rinse and exfoliate. You are left with calm soothed skin. Thanks Quakers Oats.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by kumintang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

thank you thank you thank you MUA'ers, never would have thought to incorporate oatmeal into my beauty routine if it wasn't reviewed here.

I am currently following regimen from acne.org. Although it has sucessfully reduce the amount of my cystic pimples, pustules etc, it has left me with light scars, hyperpigmentation and dark spots. And to add the agony, my face was so severely dry that it itches all the time, red blotches in several parts of my face, flakey and hurts, it even hurts to smile :(. Tried all kinds of moisturizer but nothing works, even changes my face wash to a more 'gentle' face wash, but only help a little.

Then after I read wonderful review here, I immediately tried the simplest recipe, just mix oatmeal (into the blender first..:)), add few drops of water, smear it onto my face and wait for 5 - 10 min, I do it 2 times a day before my shower. I even use the oatmeal as my daily powder now, ideas from MUA'ers as well.

I've done this religiously for 3 weeks and the result is great!
Sure, like other natural product, it works slowwwly, but surely - can't expect miracle happen overnight. I can say that right now my face is calmed down meaning no more itchiness, dryness, no redness, no flakey and I noticed that my dark spots and scars has significantly reduced. Overall, oatmeal makes my skin looks fresh and even toned. I don't know about the effect for diminishing acne though, since I am still using benzoil peroxide, but oatmeal surely calms my face.
I found that the longer I let it sit on my face the better the result is.

Update Jun 2012 :
If I may add another way to use this, for several months I'm washing my face a la erno laszlo 'water splashing' (see my review in erno laslo soap' - I dont use his product, though, I use another soap).

This 'ritual' entails filling the basin with hotter than warm water and splashing it to your face. Anyway, in the morning when in a rush and dont have time to do oatmeal mask I just pour a little of my blended oatmeal into the basin, use my face soap bar and wash/splash my face with that oatmeal induced water (30 times!). IMO the result is just the same when I use oatmeal as a mask, it is just as good.

On sidenote, I think with my finicky and sensitive acne prone skin, I will stuck with this oatmeal forever (I dont mind, though, it's cheap :))

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No