July 31, 2014 | 1939 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2007 6:53:00 PM More reviews by jenjuliet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I searched for years and years for the perfect red and this is it. Not too blue, not too brown, just sheer and soft and totally gorgeous. It's less than a buck so I have several backup tubes in a drawer. As with all NYC lipsticks, the bullet doesn't twist all the way down so that can be a problem, so I smushed 3 sticks into a small pot with a hinged, mirrored lid to keep in my purse if I ever want to throw on some red lipstick just for fun, I just use my finger or swirl a Q-tip into it. The only problem is that it's so sheer you have to do a couple of layers if you want a real red lip, but it's so inexpensive that it doesn't even matter if you go through it quicker than most lipsticks.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2006 11:42:00 AM More reviews by jasanna143

GREAT color for my nc20 bro/bro features/complexion! At first I was a bit hesitant to buy an inexpensive lippie. I am a self-admitted l/s snob and only buy h/e products thinking they're better than d/s brands. I couldn't be more wrong. I was searching and searching for a great red lippie that wouldn't make me look like Bozo the Clown. I searched high and low at NM, Nords, Saks, etc and only seemed to find one at the Cle de Peau counter but still wanted something a little different. I kept hearing all the raves about Sheer Red so decided to splurge a whole dollar and get this. At Ulta, they had a buy one get one free deal anyway so I figured what the heck. I loooove the color on my lips and it compliments my skintone. It's very creamy and moisturizing and hasn't bled on me thus far. I loathe the packaging and wish they would change it. The l/s bullet doesn't twist down so you might scrape it against the cap. Can't stand clear caps too!! Ugh! I hope they'll change but hey, it's .99 cents so I guess I can't complain that much. Could possibly be my HG red along w/ my CdP l/s in #17. I definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2006 11:44:00 AM More reviews by lirontocker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

"Sheer Red" is vastly more sheer than other red lipsticks on the market, but is still very pigmented and more than one swipe on the lips will bring you to a full cherry-mouth. The color itself is lovely, and one of the better reds I have seen or tried - the shade is a neutral, deep berry red which does not suffer from "orange syndrome" or "fuchsia syndrome" in the least, so it shoud work moderately on all skintones. If you're in the market for a full-on glamorous red, this might not be it - this shade is berry toned and neutral enough for daily use. Personally, this is one of the better formulas I've experienced in a "moisture" lipstick. It feels very nice and creamy on the lips, has a pleasant scent, has moderate staying powder (better than most drugstore shades) and does not cause my lips to chap, split or peel. The lipstick does, however, bleed - so using a lipliner is a must. I had recieved this in a swap so I wasn't aware of the price, now that I've read the reviews and have found out that this lipstick is less than a dollar, I'm even more thrilled. What great value for a great daily red lipstick! If you've got a dollar to spare, love red lipstick and would like a perk-me-up after a hard day at work, pick this shade up and go for a night on the town! I'm going to be removing a lippy on this great product for the horrible packaging. I'm not a packaging snob, I prefer aesthetic packaging but if the product is good, I don't always mind (like in a case similar to this - I really dislike cheap transparent plastic caps). Unfortunately this lipstick has a serious design flaw: the lipstick bullet itself does not screw all the way down into the tube, therefor you may nick or scrape the side of the bullet when removing the cap. This is unfortunate and irritating, and hopefully NYC will correct this mistake.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2006 3:45:00 AM More reviews by cheesysmile1212

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a nice 94 cent lipstick that will pick you up on a cloudy day. On my NC44 skin it's a red with berry tones rather than a fire engine or other true red. It's a nice color but overrated imo. It's pretty versatile though - can be used full strength, with a gloss, etc.

Highly pigmented for a "sheer" color and goes on smooth, not dry & gritty like my NYC Wild Orchard.

EDIT: This stuff is so smooth and pigmented - very nice quality.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2006 7:51:00 PM More reviews by chicredress

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This color is a fine, passable lipstick and certainly not a waste of a dollar (actually, .94 at Target). It's creamy and not dry or pasty like some super discount lipsticks, nice texture. I don't like the scent, which is strong, and I hate the packaging (I am against the clear-top thing, and have an aversion to Shu lipsticks becasue if it, so its not the price) I am a pale, slightly cool, freckled etc, dark auburn hair... this is a neutral, frankly boring red in my book, and not in the least sheer. That's my big complaint: NOT sheer; opaque. Overall: Good, fine, nothing to write home about lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2006 9:50:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

This is a wonderful lipstick for CAD$1.99! It's moisturizing, long-lasting (seriously!), and applies smoothly. The colour is a neutral red, neither orange/brown nor fuchsia/blue, and is pretty on my NC30-35 skintone. It's red without being garish or too bright. It's also very easy to layer for a lighter or deeper red. This lipstick does have a faint fruity scent, but I can't really smell it once it's on. The only thing I dislike is the packaging (you have to be careful not to smoosh the top of the lipstick when removing and replacing the cap), but for this price, it's very difficult to complain. Thanks to the MUA ladies for recommending yet another great bargain!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2006 5:56:00 PM More reviews by actionsport

i love NYC'S lipsticks. this shade is great for a demure, fresh, daytime, glossy lip. i'm nc35-42, and on me it turns out just like the name-- a sheer non-blue red (not sure if it looks totally neutral on me-- looks slightly peachy-red, but not a problem, since it's still flattering). it's easy to apply, and there's no need for precision because of the sheer, glossy formula. pair this shade with a dewy complexion (easily achievable by misting/daubing your face with a rosewater-glycerin solution (1:2), and you'll look like youth incarnate.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2006 8:39:00 PM More reviews by peachyrose

I bought this and Retro Red. I wasn't expecting much but bought them to test out what kinds of reds would work with my coloring before buying high end red lipsticks. I'm a neutral to warm PPP with brown hair and eyes, many reds are too blue and look a little off or too loud against my pale skin. Sheer red is just perfect though. It's a dark red with brown undertones that goes well with my warm undertones and the perfect medium between sheer and matte, it's creamy and glossy. It's not a really glam red, it's definitely red but a little more natural and sweet looking than a truly glamorous red like say, Mac Ruby Woo. However, that's better for me because it means i can wear it during the day and not feel too self-conscious. Altogether, a great buy and a must for any red lipstick newbies like me =)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2006 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Jenniferla32

Bought this after reading all the reviews (of course!) and really am impressed with NYC lipstick! The read is a great red, but not quite the glamourous color I was looking for. Has a hint of brown to it, but does not turn blue or fuschia. I will wear this one during the day. Color lasts awhile and the texture is good. Paid $.88 and would totally buy it again! Also purchased the NYC Retro Red and that is a REDder red. Seems to stay true, but a tad bit bright. Still a must-buy!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2006 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Seonagh

I am not sure how often I'm going to wear this one but I have always wanted to find a perfect true red lipstick. This one is just amazinge and I got it for 1.76 cnd!!! It is creamy and smooth with nice coverage and a great color. It looks great with my skin. Although they have a retro red colour as well this color looks very retro 1940's red on me. I'm getting bolder about my lipsticks these days and finding great shades like this will help keep that going. I just love that I didn't have to be afraid to buy it since it is so cheap. I took on lippie off because of the ultra cheap packaging but I'm not really complaining since I'd rather pay less and get good quality lipstick. For anyone who has been thinking the reviews of this lippie are too good to be true, go out and spend the 1.76 and give it a try.